Chops or Giovanni's?

10 minutes ago, mets07 said:

Hey, I am jealous you got the correct shrimp, @Jimbo ..... now I am really wondering what happened. They ran out when I was there?  Strange. I probably should have asked. 

I'm think we were there like day 11. A d hD no problem ringing up  zero bill with one pre paid using our BOGO free coupon.

Unlike Giovannis which was a huge issue.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

Jamie’s which I am hoping is as good as Giovanni’s

If I were to rank their Italian Specialty restaurants based on quality, taste, variety, and atmosphere, Portofino would be top, Giovanni’s Table would be a close second, then Jamies (probably a tie depending on the chef and how one defines Italian}, and Giovanni’s Kitchen at the bottom. IMO, that one is more of a glorified pizza joint than a fine dining Italian restaurant. YMMV

• Like 2

We’ve only been to Chops a couple of times in the past…..pre shutdown. I wasn’t impressed at all. I don’t eat steak , so I would order the salmon, which I will only eat if it’s rare.  Both times I made sure the server knew that’s how I wanted it and that’s not what I got….so back it went. Got a new one, also way over cooked. I give up.

We love Giovanni’s Table. And honestly, we also like Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen too, but if both were on the same ship (yes I know that’s ridiculous) we would choose Gio’s Table.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm think we were there like day 11. A d hD no problem ringing up  zero bill with one pre paid using our BOGO free coupon.

Gio’s wouldn’t let you do that with one precooked and using the BOGO? I remember you asking that awhile ago and was curious how you made out

29 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Your Giovanni's issue was an issue because you didn't go to the restaurant once you boarded and have it sorted out.  By booking only one person before you boarded, so you could get the lower price, nothing was noted in the reservation that it was actually two people and the D+ BOGO.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, orville99 said:

If I were to rank their Italian Specialty restaurants based on quality, taste, variety, and atmosphere, Portofino would be top, Giovanni’s Table would be a close second, then Jamies (probably a tie depending on the chef and how one defines Italian}, and Giovanni’s Kitchen at the bottom. IMO, that one is more of a glorified pizza joint than a fine dining Italian restaurant. YMMV

I wasn’t that impressed with Portofino haven’t seen that in a decade or so , had some very mediocre dinners at Giovanni’s but my last couple of rccl cruises Giovanni was excellent that was on oasis and allure. Tuscan on celebrity summit was terrible for Italian will get a steak next time . 

5 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Gio’s wouldn’t let you do that with one precooked and using the BOGO? I remember you asking that awhile ago and was curious how you made out

Fine at Chops , but not a Gio's. They just couldn't figure how to come back to our table with a zero bill when I prepaid at home for one meal..............in the end he just comped our whole meal and said come back another night and use your prepaid meal. Needless to say we did not go back and put up with more of that bull.

I kept telling him, you didn't comp my meal since at home I prepaid for one meal all ready. The guy there just did not understand. Ruined the whole experience, was becoming a scene. We just wanted out of there. All he had to do was go next store to Chops and they would have showed him how to ring up a zero bill. It was sad!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Your Giovanni's issue was an issue because you didn't go to the restaurant once you boarded and have it sorted out.  By booking only one person before you boarded, so you could get the lower price, nothing was noted in the reservation that it was actually two people and the D+ BOGO.  

Idk about harmony, up next so curious any harmony experiences.

I pre booked izumi who cancelled my prebooked and charged full price. Prebooked on allure wasnt allowed. 

I have izumi on 2 of 3 prebooked cheaper before the price increase. 

18 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

When we set down I told him I was using our BOGO D+ coupon and My Wife would be joining me. Said no problem, wasn't a problem until he printed up the bill. He just didn't know how to do it unlike the Chops Manager that did know how to print it.

Did the same thing at Chops, wasn't an issue there. Paid the pre paid price for our dinner, not the ONBOARD HIGHER PRICE.

So it can be done, if you know what you are doing.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

When we set down I told him I was using our BOGO D+ coupon and My Wife would be joining me. Said no problem, wasn't a problem until he printed up the bill.

Did the same thing at Chops, wasn't an issue there. Paid the pre paid price for our dinner, not the ONBOARD HIGHER PRICE.

You went to Chops before your reservation from all your other posts about this, you did not do that at Giovanni's.  A manager can note it on the reservation and have it set up correctly to go through, no way would I depend on a waiter to get it right.

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You went to Chops before your reservation from all your other posts about this, you did not do that at Giovanni's.  A manager can note it on the reservation and have it set up correctly to go through, no way would I depend on a waiter to get it right.

Correct Gio's day 1 , but did tell him when we sat down. Waiter didn't work on the bill, all bill's were worked on by the manager.

How would you think I show up with 2 person on a 1 person reservation and not mention to him we are using our BOGO free coupon. So it's pretty much understood wouldn't you think what we are doing? What more would you think I would have to do?

Probably 75% in Gio's the first night were using the BOGO free coupons too.

Didn't have to twist the Chops guy's arm for him to understand and he got it right?

Edited by Jimbo

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

LOL Why do you continually edit posts after people reply to them?

Maybe because since you or others aren't quite understanding what happened I need to be more clear for you and others.

22 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe because since you or others aren't quite understanding what happened I need to be more clear for you and others.

That's fine, I will only reply once the edit window is over because there is no way of following a conversation after you edit multiple posts, multiple times, changing the original story.

47 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So you got the BOGO in Chops using the reduced pre-booked price?  Or they refunded that and charged one person on board price? 

That is the question that always seems very arbitrary as to whether it is allowed or not although there is at least one person who seems successful every time.

I can understand reserving a particular time in advance, if that is important, but it does seem like double-dipping.

• Like 1

Just off of the Liberty.  We ate at both Chops and Giovanni’s at lunch time.  Ate at Chops on Embarkation day….. didn’t have to fight the crowd in the Windjammer.  Then ate at Giovanni’s later in the week.  Both were excellent.  The cost of both of these at lunch was less than the cost of either one individually at Dinner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

So you got the BOGO in Chops using the reduced pre-booked price?  Or they refunded that and charged one person on board price? 

That is the question that always seems very arbitrary as to whether it is allowed or not although there is at least one person who seems successful every time.

I can understand reserving a particular time in advance, if that is important, but it does seem like double-dipping.

Yes, Got the Chops for the pre-booked lower price day and time we wanted from months before the cruise.  Recieved a $0 bill at the table, NO adjusted higher bill at the table..............with the $0 bill we recieved we added onto that  anadditional tip for outstanding service.

1 hour ago, Cruiser 5452 said:

Just off of the Liberty.  We ate at both Chops and Giovanni’s at lunch time.  Ate at Chops on Embarkation day….. didn’t have to fight the crowd in the Windjammer.  Then ate at Giovanni’s later in the week.  Both were excellent.  The cost of both of these at lunch was less than the cost of either one individually at Dinner.

Not sure about Gio's but the Chops lunch and dinner menu are a little different. For one no Bone-In Ribeye on Chop's lunch menu.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not sure about Gio's but the Chops lunch and dinner menu are a little different. For one no Bone-In Ribeye on Chop's lunch menu.

Add to that the Berkshire blackened sweet glazed pork belly bacon is not on the lunch menu, my favorite appetizer on the ship. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Wife LOVES that salad.  We were not impressed with Chops on Quantum in August, although the mushroom soup has never disappointed to date.  I've always been a big fan of the risotto in Giovanni's.

Yes, I love the risotto in Giovanni's too. 

I used to love the creamed spinach in Chops but it just isn't the same anymore.    I do love the wedge salad in Chops but I do love the caprese in Giovanni's too.

11 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

You lost me at the sauce, lol. TBH, I may not have ever tried it because, like you said, I don't like sauce on a good steak so I always get mine without it. Maybe I'll ask for it on the side. We'll be eating there on Allure in 3 weeks.

Giovanni's always put the sauce on the side and it is really good - you Must give it a try.

I do like, on the side, the peppercorn sauce at Chops which I think the sauce in Giovanni's is very similar but better.

• Like 3