Uniworld gratuities for tour guides on shore excursions

Cruiseskier

2 hours ago, Cruiseskier said:

Does Uniworld cruises include the gratuities on their shore excursions?  On their website it states gratuities included for on ship staff but what about the tour guides on the shore excursions? Thanks  

No gratuities not included for guides or drivers.  We gave a couple of Euros to the guide and driver if we felt they did an excellent job which was almost always. 

5 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

No gratuities not included for guides or drivers.  We gave a couple of Euros to the guide and driver if we felt they did an excellent job which was almost always. 

Another difference from Scenic.  I can't believe that Uniworld claims to be "all-inclusive."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Another difference from Scenic.  I can't believe that Uniworld claims to be "all-inclusive."

Even if all gratuities are included many Americans believe that they should be tipping anyway. (At least I sailed Uniworld before they made any claims to being all-inclusive.)

• Like 1

The gratuities thing is so different across the world, one of my husbands American colleagues explained it was because of the American wages being so low it was needed by those in basically the service industry to make a living, I for one could never understand this as hey this is the big USA. My DH started going to the states on business many moons ago. So DH used to take dollar bills (I know much more now)and got so used to tipping he never had a problem anywhere in the world. It’s when you don’t know the local norm when the challenges start. We’ve only ever travelled with Scenic our first trip was before they went all inclusive the next we were asked not to tip extra but since then as is I believe usual across the world tip when you feel you’ve had service of better quality than expected. Mind you I still do know that some of my countrymen wouldn’t put their hands in their pockets to tip if their lives depended on it.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses. We sailed on Uniworld many years ago and all the tips even for tour guides were included. Now their website states only staff on cruise ships.  I even called their customer service last night  and the lady told me the tour guides were included which didn't match their website. 

8 hours ago, Cruiseskier said:

Thanks for all the responses. We sailed on Uniworld many years ago and all the tips even for tour guides were included. Now their website states only staff on cruise ships.  I even called their customer service last night  and the lady told me the tour guides were included which didn't match their website. 

That was always my understanding.  We never tip on Uniworld or Tauck.

I took 3 uniworld cruises pre covid and all tips were included.  Their policy has apparently changed since then.  I wonder if the front desk will break larger bills?

Seems to be some confusion on what their policy actually is.  I would consider them less than all-inclusive if tour guide tips have been eliminated.  They were already last on my list of the higher-end lines, this would probably keep me from booking with them again.  Part of the appeal of a high-end all-inclusive line is not having to worry about things like breaking large bills or having enough cash for tips.  I really like Tauck for their attention to detail.  They’ll give you money for restroom charges and if the itinerary requires  lunch in town they give you the cash for that.  Sometimes I like a trip where all I have to do is show up!

• Like 3

Wait until you get on board and speak to the cruise director if you still have a question. 

How much extra Pp is it actually?  If you tip 1 Euro per excursion for a ten day cruise it will be 20 Euros pp if you include bus driver. 40 Euros a couple. Then one needs to break down the cost of the Scenic or Tauck cruises. I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. 

20 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

How much extra Pp is it actually?  If you tip 1 Euro per excursion for a ten day cruise it will be 20 Euros pp if you include bus driver. 40 Euros a couple. Then one needs to break down the cost of the Scenic or Tauck cruises. I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. 

Same here. The 20 Euros or so I spent on tips on my last two cruises didn’t break the bank. And the one truly bad guide I had didn’t even get a Euro from me. 🙃

I only tip if I feel the guide was spectacular.  On my cruise, it was only our guide in Passau who was an opera singer and stopped to give us spectacular renditions of “Ave Maria” and “The Sound of Music”.  In Linz, I was intending on giving the guide a tip until she brought us into the large cathedral where there was a funeral occurring and kept bringing the group closer to the parishioners.  I felt this was really disrespectful and left the building early.

• Like 2

I don't think it is the Euro amount of the tips that is bothersome.  It is the hassle of having to make sure that you have some small coins available. It is awkward to know when to tip them also. I suggested that AmaWaterways that they increase the amount they were charging us to cover this if they felt the need. The response I got from the cruise director, whom I liked a lot, was "that is the way everyone wants it."  Don't think so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, texasstar said:

I don't think it is the Euro amount of the tips that is bothersome.  It is the hassle of having to make sure that you have some small coins available. It is awkward to know when to tip them also. I suggested that AmaWaterways that they increase the amount they were charging us to cover this if they felt the need. The response I got from the cruise director, whom I liked a lot, was "that is the way everyone wants it."  Don't think so.

I agree with you. When I was on Crystal, I scrambled to find a tip for a guide as I had no small coins or bills and thankfully they refused it and said that they had already been tipped and I didn't have to worry about it.

• Like 1

Getting coins in Europe is a real problem, no way from a bank etc., who  uses change these days. The other thing that I have noticed and it may not be obvious to those who naturally tip, is those who are flashy and oh so very obvious about it - ohh look at me I tip more than you! It’s demeaning for them and the recipient, I’ve seen it so many times. So please try not to embarrass the intended recipient take notice of those little brown envelopes, small clue there. Overall tipping is a minefield so a thank you and a subtle handshake is wonderful (practice)

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Getting coins in Europe is a real problem, no way from a bank etc., who  uses change these days. The other thing that I have noticed and it may not be obvious to those who naturally tip, is those who are flashy and oh so very obvious about it - ohh look at me I tip more than you! It’s demeaning for them and the recipient, I’ve seen it so many times. So please try not to embarrass the intended recipient take notice of those little brown envelopes, small clue there. Overall tipping is a minefield so a thank you and a subtle handshake is wonderful (practice)

On other European trips I was told by the cruise line that I was supposed to tip guides and drivers. I assumed that I probably should've tipped on Crystal tours also. I did not think I was better than others by doing so - I was trying to thank a great guide. There were no brown envelopes.

• Like 2

I’m definitely not accusing everyone and really not those used to tipping as a norm. It’s usually those who consider themselves above and beyond and I’ve seen the brown envelopes in some of the so called most up market places in this world.

On our first trip with Scenic included tipping we tipped both our cabin stewardess and butler in the privacy of our cabin then they and ourselves were covered. At the time extra tipping was a real no no the next year all had changed and although tipping was included across the board no one batted an eyelid if extra was given and this is still the norm.

Avalon allows you to pre-pay your tips for the ship crew, and if desired, you can casually hand them extra with a personal thanks. I like it that way, as the gratuities collected are split amongst all crew members, so this way I can not only personally thank someone who has given me exceptional service, but hopefully they get to keep their tip. The guides & bus drivers gratuities are all included (I was surprised, but it said that right in our info), so you can do the same if you have an exceptional one.

FWIW, on my two Uniworld cruises this year, I think I noticed a bit fewer than half of the guests tipping the local guides (although I certainly wasn’t keeping tabs. 😂 ) It’s definitely not mandatory and should reflect the service, IMO. 

• Like 1

I am on Catherine now - the cruise director clearly said that tour guides and drivers are not part of the Uniworld gratuities so recommended 2 euro per day per person for the guide and 1 euro per person per day for the driver.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, swn4 said:

I am on Catherine now - the cruise director clearly said that tour guides and drivers are not part of the Uniworld gratuities so recommended 2 euro per day per person for the guide and 1 euro per person per day for the driver.

Thanks for the update!