Your experience with Guaranteed cabins

latebuyer

I’m not new to cruising, but once had a horrible experience with a guaranteed cabin. However there is a cruise i’m interested in that has 500 off, but is a guarantee. What have other experiences been like? I know i slept a lot better when i was able to choose my own cabin. Price is hard to beat though.

Edited by latebuyer

• latebuyer changed the title to Your experience with Guaranteed cabins

What was the horrible experience on your last guarantee cabin? Would the money saved make it acceptable this time?

If you book a guarantee, you really *have to * be OK with what ever you consider the worst cabin in the category you've selected or better....  If you'ed have a bad time in a bad location, it's not worth the money.

Aloha,

John

I imagine policies and procedures can vary by cruise line, so perhaps checking on the board for that cruise line would be wise.

A common thought is to be very focused on booking a guarantee at the minimum level you will be happy at. Keep in mind the cruise line might assign you a cabin they consider an upgrade, but you might not.

We have booked Guarantee (GTY is the common shorthand here) 6 or 8 times, all at the suite level on HAL, with zero complaints. They frequently offer a solid discount if you let the cruise line pick your cabin. On their newest ships they have a type of suite that is distinctly different and, to many, less desirable that other cabins in the suite category. So, you need to know what the potential assignment might be, and will you be happy with that. Of course,  some are more picky than others as to what they will be happy with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

I’m not new to cruising, but once had a horrible experience with a guaranteed cabin. However there is a cruise i’m interested in that has 500 off, but is a guarantee. What have other experiences been like? I know i slept a lot better when i was able to choose my own cabin. Price is hard to beat though.

I think you have already answered your own question.

IF you get a "guarantee", you (or anyone) risk getting a cabin that you DO NOT LIKE.

For that "risk", one (usually, but not always!) gets a discount.

So if you are worried that you might again have a "horrible experience", then chances are it's a good idea for you *not* to get a "guarantee" (regardless of whether there is a discount).

But other people report that they don't use their cabins enough ("just to sleep in"), so saving money on the cabin type or location is an excellent choice for them.

We are among those those who spend more time in our cabin/suite, so for us, the type and location can make a major difference.

And VERY importantly, as CruiserBruce mentioned above:

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

A common thought is to be very focused on booking a guarantee at the minimum level you will be happy at. Keep in mind the cruise line might assign you a cabin they consider an upgrade, but you might not.

[emphasis added]

That is, some passengers might prefer "more space"; others may prefer specific locations on the ship (higher, lower, middle, etc.); or whatever matters to them.

Because the cruise line can't read your mind, they can't know that someone might prefer a smaller cabin in a "better" location, and they may well assign someone accommodations that *others* would prefer... but maybe not the person with that particular new assignment.

We carefully select where we'll be on any ship, and then stick with that, so we know we can look forward to the cruise, and that we'll be happy where we stay during it.

And we would not select a guarantee even if that were the only way to get on some specific cruise.  

My first cruise back in then1970's was a 3-generation cruise, and a first for all of us.  My parents were clueless (no surprise; we all were back then!), and I guess they didn't specify anything other than cabin category/location (or maybe price?).  Suffice it to say that we heard the band - and the DRUMS in the band - way into the wee hours.

Every. Single. Night.

None of us were night owls or band music enthusiasts...  😱

My parents wanted to do the same thing the next year, so I spent a LOT of time with the travel agent and those glossy brochures and deck plans, carefully selecting a group of cabins that would be ... "just right"! 😀

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sail Holland a lot and occasionally use a guarantee for one reason or another.  If the room is not suitable I call and ask to move and am even willing to pay a small fee to do so.  I have usually gotten moved 

32 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

I think you have already answered your own question.

If you get a "guarantee", you (or anyone) risk getting a cabin that you WILL NOT LIKE.

We are among those those who spend more time in our cabin/suite, so for us, the type and location can make a major difference.

That is, some passengers might prefer "more space"; others may prefer specific locations on the ship (higher, lower, middle, etc.).

We carefully select where we'll be on any ship, and then stick with that, so we know we can look forward to the cruise, and that we'll be happy where we stay during it.

Ditto GC,

Was once treated under guarantee conditions and hair raising anticipation where we would be placed. Not bad but could have been better. But acceptable.

But we prefer selecting our own cabin by number and location. Example....no over hang and direct sunlight. No too far Bow or Aft.

Definitely not to watch the Wash in the rear of the ship. We like to see where the ship is going.

We are particular passengers selecting the location we wish to occupy for the entire sailing, sometimes up to 14 days.

We have almost always done the category guarantee and never had a bad experience at all. We always do balconies and do enjoy spending time in our room. Our concern has been obstructed view. But we figure it’s never that bad. The only time we choose our specific room is when we are traveling with others and wanted our cabins to be close. 
The first time we did the guarantee we were traveling with my mom. When checking in we realized we were not close to each other. We explained that my mom needed us in case she fell or something. They did accommodate us. They even let us take down the balcony wall so it was more like connecting rooms. That was NCL. 

11 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks everyone. I think i’ll hold off for now. Sleep is important.

Sounds like a smart decision for you. The key is knowing yourself and what you'll be happy with vs. what could be a vacation "ruiner".

I am not picky about cabin size or location, do not spend much time in my cabin unless I'm sleeping or changing clothes, don't get seasick, and noise does not bother me much, if at all. For me, Guarantee cabins work well.

• Like 1

Like Cruisemom, we are not picky about cabin sizes or location, except that we do prefer to be in a quiet cabin.  We often book guarantees, but will sometimes do a guarantee that is 1 or 2 categories above the lowest, to ensure we do not get a so-called "NightOwl Cabin" located near a late night club or under a galley.   I will add that we have done this at least 100 times with no regrets.

Hank

I have done several gty bookings, and generally been satisfied.  Once so satisfied that I later booked the same cabin for a longer cruise. Once I did a late booking B2B on Princess to Alaska.  Inside, I was given a huge HC cabin.  Did not need HC, but TA surmised it was the only cabin available for both legs.  I booked OV gty on MSC after perusing the deck plans to see that there were 40 OV and 1300 balconies, thinking I would be upgraded to a balcony, and I was.  Also on MSC I booked inside gty on a B2B and got balcony for each leg.  I’m not picky, I would have been happy in the inside or OV.  Once on Celebrity S class I booked a partially obstructed balcony for a cruise from Venice.  A few days later they ran a sale balcony gty for the price of an inside.  For a $1200 saving I would tolerate a fully obstructed balcony…but we got a great balcony, no obstruction.  EM

Booking a guarantee cabin can be a “Landmine” if you do not know what you are doing.

Clever cruisers who book guarantees look not only at the category they are booking, but at the one that is one step up.

HAL is a prime example. They have a multitude of categories that really confuse nearly everyone.

But the smarter cruisers identify the categories that have very few cabins. That means that those categories are nearly certain to sell out - which means that anyone booking a guarantee cabin in those categories will most likely be upgraded.

But upgraded to what?

Many times, an upgrade is just a few meters down the corridor - or under the gymnasium. But if you do your homework, there are some categories that have only prime cabins.

Every cruise ship has “problem cabins” in nearly every category. That is a result of the people who design ships never talking to the people who work on them. But that is another problem. As a cruiser, how do you work around that?

First you need to be aware that big travel agencies - who are favorites of the cruise line - already have a list of those problem cabins. They never book their clients into those cabins. That leaves those problem cabins open for naive independent travelers to book - or to be used as guarantee upgrades. Most of those cabins go to the Guarantee Cabin gamblers.

Be aware that there are times when people just get lucky. They book a Guarantee Cabin and either get a good cabin in that category - or hopefully get an even better cabin in a higher category. Sounds too good to be true ? Usually it is too good to be true. But you never know.

But if you are smart and do your homework, you can put yourself in a situation where you cannot lose. Either you get a good cabin in the Guarantee Category you opted for - or even better - a better category cabin.

How do you do that? You need an inside connection - either somebody on the ship you are booking, or a travel agent who has “inside connections”. These people can tell you which categories and cabins to avoid - and which to choose for the best results from a Guarantee booking.

• Like 1

One of the worst cabins we ever had was on the NCL Jewel in a penthouse suite. The anchor was obviously close by, and it sounded like a train going by our window in the early morning. The fog horn was also right above these cabins in the bow. The cabin itself was lovely, and the balcony was so large that I could have held a dance party on it when docked. The wind was fierce when moving. 

On 10/28/2023 at 5:26 PM, latebuyer said:

Thanks. I believe i was under the kitchen as there was clanging all night, it was an ocean view room on holland america. i don't think its possible there was a worse room. This is for caribbean princess so will check princess board.

With respect, did you go up to the kitchen,or wherever you were, and ask for less noise?  We were kept awake on a Princess ship some time ago...I went and found the source, then found an employee who had a walkie talkie....he made a call and the noise stopped...did not repeat for the rest of the voyage.  They are very sensitive to passenger comfort.

15 minutes ago, thinfool said:

With respect, did you go up to the kitchen,or wherever you were, and ask for less noise?  We were kept awake on a Princess ship some time ago...I went and found the source, then found an employee who had a walkie talkie....he made a call and the noise stopped...did not repeat for the rest of the voyage.  They are very sensitive to passenger comfort.

Asking for a galley to be quiet is generally an exercise in frustration.  The reality is that galleys all have have hard tile floors and we are talking about a large area with lots of activity, walking, things being dropped, etc.  The best way to deal with galleys is to make sure you do not have a cabin that is over, under, or around one of those places.  On most ships, if one wants to book a guarantee, the should look at the cabin categories that are around galleys, late night venues, or directly under the pool deck (where loungers are moved around).  Ideally you would simply book a guarantee in a category that is above those levels so you do not gamble on getting a night owl or galley cabin.   On ships where this is not possible it is advisable to avoid guarantees.

Some folks look for a one size fits all solution, but with cruise ships that does not exist (especially if one goes on multiple cruise lines).  When we book a guarantee our assumption is that we will get the worst possible cabin in the guaranteed category.  Most of the time this does not happen, but one should prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  In the event that you do get assigned an awful cabin you should consider immediately contacting the cruise line or your agent to see if you can get a different location (even if it means paying for an upsell).   Our best luck with guarantees has happened on Seabourn where, with one exception, we have always received a decent upgrade/suite.  The exception was a recent last minute booking (19 days prior to a long cruise) where the only remaining suites were not in a desirable location.  Such is life.  On the other hand, we paid a lot less for that suite than most folks who had booked far in advance.

Hank

• Like 1

Yes i complained and they said they'd be quieter and never were. Thats something thats needed for the whole ship so who cares about the 1 or 2 people affected. I do wish i had asked to change rooms. I assumed i would have to ask through my travel agent and he was useless. Keep in mind this was my first cruise and so i didn't really know the protocols here. This just reminds me why i prefer to book through the cruise line rather than travel agent as i wasn't happy with him. He was the one who insisted it had to be a guarantee in the first place. I assumed it was because i was travelling solo, but i'm not sure.

On 10/28/2023 at 3:12 PM, latebuyer said:

Have had one a few years ago. Switched from an OV to a balcony. When we got the balcony I was disappointed. It was an obstructed view. When I looked up the location it was towards the rear of the ship and the obstruction was a lifeboat about 6 balconies forward. No obstruction at all. This January we are cruising on Holland America with a guar. ocean view, still waiting for it to be assigned. Not worried where it will be, but would like to see what we were given.

Obviously it all depends on the ship layout and the cabin category. We booked a guarantee mini suite on our last cruise. All mini suites were on deck 9 and the sub category we chose was restricted from approximately mid ship to forward with cabins either side and on the decks above and below. So really it wasn't much of a gamble. We were very happy with our eventual cabin (indeed we have booked that specific cabin for our next cruise). It was situated about four cabins back from the front of the ship. There was very little motion felt and we were far enough away from the lifts not to be bothered by noise. Had we been upgraded to a full suite, it still wouldn't have been a problem. They were mostly surrounded by other cabins on various decks and only a couple were in a potentially less desirable location under the pool deck which I still would have been happy with as they were aft cabins with extended balcony overlooking the wake. I guess do your homework and study the deck plans to gauge the chances of being assigned a cabin you will not be happy with before committing to a guarantee or else pay the extra to choose a cabin that will fit your criteria.

I have done guarantee cabin twice ... and both times were FANTASTIC.  Once were 2 cruises b2b, and I did have to move cabins.  But the steward packed my things and moved them for me and it was perfect.  I would do it any time to save significant money. 

On 11/3/2023 at 7:03 PM, mcollins3549 said:

I have done guarantee cabin twice ... and both times were FANTASTIC.  Once were 2 cruises b2b, and I did have to move cabins.  But the steward packed my things and moved them for me and it was perfect.  I would do it any time to save significant money. 

We're doing that because the cabin we'll be in is already booked for the second one. I have no concern.

If you are unhappy with an assigned location, many cruise lines will allow you to switch to a different one as long as there is availability with the original assigned category.  (Ex: RCCL / Celebrity). Their websites, direct representatives, or your TA can assist with confirming availably of alternate locations and making the change. We have done this a number of times via a GTY booking if we preferred a different location post assignment.  Many times the pricing of the GTY is worth the booking knowing that alternative choices may be available.

Occasionally you might receive a higher category than the base code in a GTY offering, which can be a pleasant surprise.  While infrequent, this has happened to us as well with GTY bookings.

Edited by leaveitallbehind