Is the Constellation really a terrible experience?

mustgo

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Was that back in the day's of the failed "Cirque Experience"  - it was and Experience but one you wouldn't want to repeat.

pretty much.

they physically ruined the upstairs lounges. It looked like the underground  lair in Phantom of the Opera. It was so creepy..worse than when the EDENITES would spread out over the ship (hate being touched by  strangers!) in a later similar  type program!

The original Cirque shows on X were outstanding ..loved them all! .l After X went on its own  not as good .

We also disliked some of the overtly sexist skits invoving audience annoyance ,  and the pseudo sex shop selling  massage oils....and other edgy  items.  That bombed too!

and very happy now that the EDEN show has become very entertaining, creative and "unwierd."

5 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Getting and finding Eden on the Edge is creepy enough.

yup.. I posted  a very early review of EDGE,   and dubbed the walk through as  the "CREEPY FOREST". Name kind of stuck awhile.

Each one of these walk throughs are awful..esp  for folks with vision issues.  Folks in scooters go thru like its an obstacle course.  Watch Out!

We'll be back in BLU on ASCENT and see what we have to walk thru  on way to dine..( btw there is another way to get there...taking stairs!) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

It was supposed to be a six year arrangement with Cirque du Soleil.  It started in late 2004 or early 2005 and was so poorly received that it was cancelled in 2005 although the "decorations" in Summit's and Constellation's lounge were not removed until much later.

Here is an in depth article about it: link

Just read the article..very interesting.. obviously a big PR  push...It was so bad !

Loved the Chiluly  on board..so

classy..

31 minutes ago, hcat said:

Just read the article..very interesting.. obviously a big PR  push...It was so bad !

Loved the Chiluly  on board..so

classy..

It was funny to read that one passenger's choice of white clothing to attend the masquerade ball was a Celebrity bathrobe.

Yes, the Chihuly piece was very impressive.  Here is a view from below.

image.thumb.jpeg.34e7a44fef4a3c1fffa358e032968e06.jpeg

5 hours ago, mahdnc said:

A pretty cool glass sculpture made by the world renown Dale Chihuly.

Sadly, Dale Chihuly hasn't actually blown glass since around 1980ish. He directs the glass blowers in his studios and still makes a number of the designs. That being said, his studio, team of glass artists and designs are amazing.

Edited by neverlaysup

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

It was funny to read that one passenger's choice of white clothing to attend the masquerade ball was a Celebrity bathrobe.

Yes, the Chihuly piece was very impressive.  Here is a view from below.

image.thumb.jpeg.34e7a44fef4a3c1fffa358e032968e06.jpeg

Medussa

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

Sadly, Dale Chihuly hasn't actually blown glass since around 1980ish. He directs the glass blowers in his studios and still makes a number of the designs. That being said, his studio, team of glass artists and designs are amazing.

We sailed on the connie several times and were pleased to see a nice example of dale's work onboard. I have been blessed to have met  dale and he is by far the best at what he did/does and he  is a class act from the word go. I was involved in the arts for many years and it was a treat talking with him..That said, when my wife and i looked at the piece on the "connie" the work was filthy and had water in some of the lower pieces of the work...It was so sad to see that the cruise line did not keep the piece in the condition that it deserves...Pieces like this have brought hundreds of thousands of dollars and you would think that celebrity would treat it better.....but of course this probably goes hand in hand in the cost cutting by the line...

1 minute ago, retired dude said:

Pieces like this have brought hundreds of thousands of dollars and you would think that celebrity would treat it better

The employees are probably too scared to touch it for fear of damaging it! They would have to work 4 lifetimes on a cruise ship to pay for it!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

The employees are probably too scared to touch it for fear of damaging it! They would have to work 4 lifetimes on a cruise ship to pay for it!

I worked in a museum that housed one of his finest creations and we had a team that kept the  piece in pristine condition....Keeping the work in mint condition would not be a chore for housekeeping...lol

1 hour ago, neverlaysup said:

https://moreanartscenter.org/chihuly-collection-location/

link to Collection..St Pete Fl.. on our to do list.

We had several great cruises on Connie..stand out was  RT Canada from NY  when she was fairly new.. Hope she gets  refurbed! including proper cleaning of art on board!

Edited by hcat

We will.be cruising on the Constellation on 3 B2B. 28 days

We like the smaller ships. Many do not prefer smaller ships. Fewer specialty restaurants and other activities. We are not gourmets but we do.like good food at the MDR. We will see.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jshli said:

Connie is due a refurbishment (refesh) the beginning of April 2024.

thank you.. we will try to catch her after that..would like something from Tampa that includes New Orleans

• Like 2

We sailed a B2B on the Constellation last January/February and we had a nice time and we are booked for another cruise this coming January.

So my comments are based on that last cruise.  I don't know what has happened since.

This is a somewhat smaller older ship so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the newer huge ships have.

We like this size ship (we would be even happier with a somewhat smaller ship) however you have to decide for yourself what type of cruise experience you want (big ship vs smaller ship).

We are cruising this ship again because we view it as a nice relaxing experience and it gets us out of the cold northeast for a couple of weeks.  We would be just as happy staying in Key Largo or Key West and sitting on the beach however when we do a cost comparison a cruise tends to be less expensive overall.

As to the ship:

The meals in the MDR were OK. Nothing terrible, nothing great.  The buffet for breakfast and lunch were fine.  They significantly scaled back the buffet at dinner.  Not a big problem for us since we like the MDR for dinner. 

Service all around the ship was excellent.

On the first leg of the B2B I was very happy with the entertainment.  Unfortunately, on the second leg there was a breakdown of stage equipment so they couldn't do all the shows they normally do.

Personally, I detest the coffee on Celebrity in the MDR and buffet, so I spend the few extra dollars for an espresso-based coffee every day.

Just an FYI about the Tampa port, there is a tendency for fog which can delay departures and arrivals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I agree.  Was on her in January and had an excellent cruise.

I always respect your opinion. We are booked on Connie next year, but have been unsure if we really do want to go. I'm a big fan of big, new ships. But I'll take your word for it. If we are disappointed, I'll tell you where we felt Connie was not equal to big new ships. One thing for sure, the itinerary is special.

11 hours ago, mustgo said:

Thanks for all responses so far.  I am looking at a TA so food and main stage entertainment as well ads daytime lectures are my concern.  We are a paid of oldies on the ship and can deal with staterooms equally old.

DH and I love the older ships, so we would not hesitate to book a cruise on an M-class ship.  (In fact, we are looking forward to our upcoming 21 days on Connie over Christmas/New Years.).   We always find something good to eat on the ship and we don't watch tv at home so what is/not on the ship regarding a tv doesn't bother us.  (We bring our own books or download them to read 🙂. )

• Like 2

Connie is doing a dry dock right after the spring TA.  I think it's just over 2 weeks.  Time for the mechanical inspections etc.   Not enough time for any substantial refresh.   Probably some new carpet and upholstery in the common areas, maybe finish changing the bedding (if it is in storage from the cancelled Revolution). 

We were on 38 days in April/May and will be on again in March for the TA.  We love the more classic feel.  It's certainly not new and shiny.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 2

On the Constellation.   Do you see what I am thinking.   It reminds me of the the art that Marie made on the TV show Raymond.   I think it goes along with this that is at the Martini Bar on the Anthem  🤷‍♂️😱

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_3725.jpeg

IMG_0585.jpeg

• Haha 5

Thanks for those who responded and had good experiences.  I really do not care about what the art used to be.  We have enjoyed cruises on several lines on their older smaller ships so will plan to try it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruzeluver said:

If I paid attention to reviews I would never set foot on a cruise ship. Quite reading them years ago and am much happier and far less likely to notice the piddly stuff folks blow way out of proportion. 

On the contrary, paying attention to reviews has served me very well. It's gotten me on the right ships for me, itineraries for me, hotels, restaurants, you name it. Much better than sticking my head in the sand and just assuming I made the right choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2