Storm delays

molecrochip

22 minutes ago, davecttr said:

current eye of the storm pressure estimated as down to 720!, Obviously wrong or are we on a 'day after tomorrow' path?

The centre of the depression was 964 at 1600 dropping 30 millibars in 8 hours is spectacular to say the least, data was from a French met buoy 

IMG_1763.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

They are not going into Le Harve. Someone who embarked at Zebrugge posted that he was told on day 1 that this port would be missed. So they may seek shelter or make a dash forSouthampton, who knows.

Is it Friday you embark Euribia?

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. We are due back 11th as well (Ventura). Hopefully it will all just be a bad memory by then 🤞

We were on Ventura though a force 12 hurricane and it was an experience that I'm in no hurry to repeat.  My husband managed to sleep through it even though the balcony furniture was being thrown around the balcony.  The next morning he didn’t believe me until I opened the curtains and he saw everything tipped over on the balcony.  We are due on Ventura later this month so I hope that the weather will have calmed down by then.

• Like 1

We were on Caronia once heading back to Southampton up the coast of Portugal when we were hit by a severe storm. Captain Nick Bates closed down the ship and told everyone to return to their cabins for their own safety. Next day he said he hadn't experienced it that bad for many years and he had sent a second officer on deck and was photographed recording the wind speed on Beaufort scale. It was off the scale and was so rare he said he had arranged for everyone to receive a photograph as when they told friends they wouldn't believe you so you had proof. It was very scary and did a lot of damage to the ship. We got in bed under covers for our own safety and the cabin looked as if it had been bombed.

• Like 2

Just to prove how unlucky we are we were on holiday in Jersey at the time of the infamous Michael Fish weather forecast in 1987. We were staying at Golden Sands hotel right on the beach at St Brelades and it blew the flat roof of the hotel and we put a waste paper basket collecting drips through ceiling. Never knew what happened to our balcony furniture as it disappeared during storm never to be seen again.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jh1809 said:

There must be some mistake somewhere. 940 maybe, but 840 isn't really possible.

I saw an extended met office report, mainly about the jet stream and the storm.  They are saying that if the pressure does go as low as predicted, it would be the lowest ever recorded.  Forecast up in Merseyside is not bad at all, rain and wind, yes - but not particularly strong winds, just a normal forecast really.  Seems it is just the south coast (or thereabouts) that will take it.  some uncertainty of the exact track, but if it doe snot go across the south of England, it would still be somewhere between South Wales (and onwards) to skimming the French Coast. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

It's starting to blow here in South Devon.  Shipping forecast for Plymouth is giving Hurricane Force 12 in the next 6-8 hours.

GALE WARNING
Issued: 15:58 (UTC) on Wed 1 Nov 2023

Gale force 8 now veered southwesterly, backing southeasterly and increasing storm force 10 imminent, veering westerly and increasing hurricane force 12 soon

WIND
Cyclonic severe gale 9 to violent storm 11, occasionally hurricane force 12 at first, becoming westerly 6 to gale 8 later.
SEA STATE
Rough becoming very rough or high, then becoming very high for a time.
WEATHER
Rain.
VISIBILITY
Moderate or poor.
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Hopefully, yes.

We are ensconced in a hotel in Soton and not a sign of wind or rain (yet).

Have a great time.   She's a beautiful ship.   I've been watching her on the Erasmus Bridge webcam this evening.   She's departed now, unceremoniously backwards, on her way to Southampton.

If all well, she should pass the outbound Arcadia

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

I saw an extended met office report, mainly about the jet stream and the storm.  They are saying that if the pressure does go as low as predicted, it would be the lowest ever recorded.  Forecast up in Merseyside is not bad at all, rain and wind, yes - but not particularly strong winds, just a normal forecast really.  Seems it is just the south coast (or thereabouts) that will take it.  some uncertainty of the exact track, but if it doe snot go across the south of England, it would still be somewhere between South Wales (and onwards) to skimming the French Coast. 

Very windy in Bournemouth,  but no doe snot......yet.🤣

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Very windy in Bournemouth,  but no doe snot......yet.🤣

OK.  Yet another of my typing mistakes 😉   Cannot edit on here though.

Just seen todays report, which no doubt many others have been looking at as well.  So seems the storm is tracking further south than expected yesterday on the met office report we saw, so The Channel Iles and N coast of France will get the brunt of it, but will affect Southern UK as well, as not far away.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It's starting to blow here in South Devon.  Shipping forecast for Plymouth is giving Hurricane Force 12 in the next 6-8 hours.

GALE WARNING
Issued: 15:58 (UTC) on Wed 1 Nov 2023

Gale force 8 now veered southwesterly, backing southeasterly and increasing storm force 10 imminent, veering westerly and increasing hurricane force 12 soon

WIND
Cyclonic severe gale 9 to violent storm 11, occasionally hurricane force 12 at first, becoming westerly 6 to gale 8 later.
SEA STATE
Rough becoming very rough or high, then becoming very high for a time.
WEATHER
Rain.
VISIBILITY
Moderate or poor.

Same forecast for us here Jean, and I'm overlooking Portland Harbour.

4 hours ago, jh1809 said:

Boggle! The only thing I can think of is that instead of the standard mb they are using mm of mercury as their unit. From school physics lessons over 50 years ago, ISTR that "standard" atmospheric pressure is 760 mm of mercury (so 760 mm equating to about 1012 mb).

It is me not reading the key properly

Grey contours are sea level pressure in millibars (mb). The labels are "short hand" that show just the last two digits: 998 mb becomes "98", 999 mb is "99" 1000 mb is "00" and 1001 mb is "01" and so on.

so 76 actually means 976 

• Like 1

The famous snot storm of 2 Nov 23

Meanwhile

Brittany Ferries Galicia is making a dash from Portsmouth to Bay of Seine

Mein Schiff 3 and Freds Balmoral were following similar courses in the Bay of Biscay. Balmoral's course has become erratic and they are heading east with a gale and 8.8 metre waves. Hope they are OK.

• Like 3

Balmoral.  Seems the window(s) which broke were in a cabin on deck 4, but was being dealt with by staff, so will be ok now.   Apparently the ship became much calmer once she turned as not fighting the wind, but they can only travel at 5 knots at present.  Still heading for more shelter near the coast.

Edited by tring
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As @Red Leicester writes, Alicante cancelled for us as the storm is expected to reach the Mediterranean tomorrow. There's been repeated tannoy announcements as for the reason, and to inform of port cancellation letters being delivered to cabins. I've overheard several folk chuntering about the missed port. What do they expect, the captain to put them and everyone onboard at risk?🙄

Edited by TigerB
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Out of curiosity, I wonder what happens when we stay overnight in port unexpectedly, as far as port staffing is concerned. The gangways will remain open until 04:00 for us, and likely the same for the other ships in port; so, there will be extra port security required later tonight and overnight. I guess that the cruise operators will pick up the overtime bill. There will be some port staff rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of short notice ovvies, unlike the ship's security for whom there will be no monetary compensation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Out of curiosity, I wonder what happens when we stay overnight in port unexpectedly, as far as port staffing is concerned. The gangways will remain open until 04:00 for us, and likely the same for the other ships in port; so, there will be extra port security required later tonight and overnight. I guess that the cruise operators will pick up the overtime bill. There will be some port staff rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of short notice ovvies, unlike the ship's security for whom there will be no monetary compensation.

At times like this it is either extra port fees or extra time bouncing around in the best place they can find at sea, which takes extra fuel.  Also profits from tours lost.  A loose loose no matter how a cruise line deals with it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tring said:

Seems the window(s) which broke were in a cabin on deck 4, but was being dealt with by staff, so will be ok now. 

About 10.30 this morning, the Balmoral published a course for Bilbao... about 300 nm off the original course. It seems a very long way to avoid a storm and so it may be that the Balmoral is hoping for some assistance from a ship repair yard or considering the option of flights to... ? 

One thing that's probably guaranteed is that the Balmoral will not be in Cadiz on 3 November.

22 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

About 10.30 this morning, the Balmoral published a course for Bilbao... about 300 nm off the original course. It seems a very long way to avoid a storm and so it may be that the Balmoral is hoping for some assistance from a ship repair yard or considering the option of flights to... ? 

One thing that's probably guaranteed is that the Balmoral will not be in Cadiz on 3 November.

The messages I saw about this said she had engine problems - this was before the storm 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1