Jump to content

Grand Princess Gastro And Covid Outbreak


Zanny
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

No, not much chance in Sydney due to 2 things,

1. no passing because of the traffic, and

2. there no bush in sydney.

Not so. I've been bushed in Sydney.

Oh, and in Canberra too.🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

In Queensland, we acknowledge people we walk past.  Ron Clarke, the runner and past Mayor of the Gold Coast used to doff his hat, In Sydney, when I walked, the people I passed just ignored me. 

Ron was born and raised in Melbourne so not a true Queenslander. I would think his manners stemmed from his upbringing, not that he lived in Queensland.

Edited by possum52
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Ron was born and raised in Melbourne so not a true Queenslander. I would think his manners stemmed from his upbringing, not that he lived in Queensland.

I mentioned Ron because he was a neighbour and  the only man I knew you doffed his hat when he passed a walker.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

In Queensland, we acknowledge people we walk past.  Ron Clarke, the runner and past Mayor of the Gold Coast used to doff his hat, In Sydney, when I walked, the people I passed just ignored me. 

The private school boys of the North Shore in Sydney tip their straw hats to drivers as they cross the pedestrian crossing.  

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Ron was born and raised in Melbourne so not a true Queenslander. I would think his manners stemmed from his upbringing, not that he lived in Queensland.

I totally agree. I was brought up to thank the bus driver when alighting, acknowledge vehicles that stop at pedestrian crossings etc. It's automatic to me, I wouldn't dream of not doing it. I watch Tipping Point (if you get it in Aus) and notice how some contestants automatically include "thank you" when choosing a drop zone, while others don't.  Upbringing definitely 😇

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I worked in Brisbane, I used to catch the 'Loop' bus from Central Station to a stop near my office building (and vice versa). Almost without exception, pax would greet the bus driver when getting on board and thank him/her when alighting. Even pax using the door towards the back of the bus would shout a 'thank you'.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Currently on Grand, embarked yesterday in Melbourne for 14 days to NZ return. We did not complete any health questionnaire prior to embarkation. Not even the pre covid type asking about colds in the last 7 days.

Horizon Court has hand wash stations that were not manned. Then sanitisation stands prior to entering the food area of Horizon court which were manned.

Didn't appear to be as many staff in the buffet as previous cruises.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2023 at 7:29 AM, bazzaw said:

The unwritten motto of the main stream motto is "no News is bad news" - anything for a headline and  distraction of the peasants. 

Actually that saying is wrong. It should say "No news means there is no bad news" given the media's penchant for mostly reporting the bad things that happen. I guess good news doesn't get ratings.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Actually that saying is wrong. It should say "No news means there is no bad news" given the media's penchant for mostly reporting the bad things that happen. I guess good news doesn't get ratings.

No - "no News is bad News" is correct - quick, we will have to think something up!!!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

When the postie drove past our letter box, the saying from the generations before was the proverb - no news is good news.

Yes, the expression was often used.  I wonder if it started in world war I when officers would visit homes to deliver the bad news that a family member had died.  My grandmother had two such calls, for her young husband and young brother.

When I was in London, I visited an Army Display and asked by off chance would they have these two treasured relatives listed.  I had no details apart from names.  I was surprised when the officer opened the correct page and found both their names.  He said this was where most Aussies were posted.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

One wonders if the noro and covid viruses on Grand Princess  travelled across the Pacific from USA to OZ. What say ye?

Possible it started that way, but it took a few weeks to build.

We had some belly bugs getting around prior to Grand Princess arriving here, so it would be hard to pin it on the ships. Covid though, it seems that so many contributors here managed to make it through the winter months without covid, only to catch on their first cruise of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

One wonders if the noro and covid viruses on Grand Princess  travelled across the Pacific from USA to OZ. What say ye?

I was on that cruise, for three weeks. No signs of Covid that I saw (no tables outside doors etc), and didn't see an epidemic of coughing and spluttering anywhere. Think I dodged a bullet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hubby and I were on the 2-day segment from Adelaide to Melbourne and disembarked this past Wednesday. Gastro/Noro hit me hard on Tuesday night and I'm still feeling the effects five days later. Hubby picked it up from me with symptoms appearing on Thursday.

 

We are very hygiene conscious, but we also appreciate that cruise ships are a high-risk environment. Did Princess have protocols in place? Yes. Could they have gone further? Yes. Were we super careful? Yes. Could we have gone further? Yes. Did we get annoyed by other passengers blatantly ignoring the protocols. Also yes. Would we cruise again under the same circumstances? Abso-bloody-lutely!

Edited by Kellyansapansa
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kellyansapansa said:

Hubby and I were on the 2-day segment from Adelaide to Melbourne and disembarked this past Wednesday. Gastro/Noro hit me hard on Tuesday night and I'm still feeling the effects five days later. Hubby picked it up from me with symptoms appearing on Thursday.

 

We are very hygiene conscious, but we also appreciate that cruise ships are a high-risk environment. Did Princess have protocols in place? Yes. Could they have gone further? Yes. Were we super careful? Yes. Could we have gone further? Yes. Did we get annoyed by other passengers blatantly ignoring the protocols. Also yes. Would we cruise again under the same circumstances? Abso-bloody-lutely!

Curious, where you dine. Buffet, dining room  or other?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Kellyansapansa said:

We dined in the buffet twice during non-peak periods, at Sabatini's once and at Slice once. 

I hope you are both well and truly on the mend.

 

I have pretty much been a buffet dodger since day dot. I am not OCD about it, but I am very wary of the tongs & spoons, so take the plate to our table and go back and sanitise again before eating. Clean tables are also difficult to find during busy times, and will only get cleared instead of proper cleaning.

 

You can only do so much though, and have to leave enough mental space to drop barriers to relax and have fun. Hypothetically, do I touch the handrails and risk getting gastro, or do I avoid them and risk falling down the stairs and breaking my leg. Hmmm.

 

You have much to look forward to with your next cruise, and I hope the circumstances are healthier for you.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...