I Lost Ten Pounds on a Transatlantic

Just back from a TA Civi to Fort Lauderdale on Odyssey and actual lost ten pounds.

Not intentionally.  

We did limit eating to twice/day with a late breakfast an early dinner.  Ate dinner in four special restaurants on the 5 restaurant plan.

The best of those was Giovanni's.  Chops was horrible: service spotty and the filet was the worst we have had on the high seas.  Had better filets in the Solarium Bistro, twice.  Best "free" restaurant was the Solarium Bistro.

The ship was less than acceptable.   Maybe we are getting along in years and superficial glitz doesn't impress anymore.  Flow riders and the other "attractions" are useless to us.  The theater comes close to being useless in that seating does not permit placing feet under the seat in front so you end up uncomfortable with knees in your chest.

The ship is way too big (long) for "guests" over 25 years old and obviously designed for playtime.  Takes a long time to get to a venue from just about anywhere.  Our cabin was on the hump of the forward.midship elevators and the last 5 days we did not go aft of the after elevators except once to eat at Giovannis.  Terrible layout designed only to accommodate the play yards.  First 2/3rds of the transit we did attend enrichment lectures in 270.  A crazy place where the large windows let the sun in right in your face.  Uncomfortable seating, as well.

Medical?  Hah.  My wife bumped her shoulder into a bulkhead enough to cause continuing discomfort.  So, off to Medical (you cant get there from here) and was seen quickly when we finally found it.  Released with in 3 minutes with an admonishment to not come back.  It hurts...  So what?  The "prescription" was to go back to the cabin and rest.  My spouse will be 82 in three weeks, but no one in Medical cared.  No Motrin or other pain meds offered.  They did provide a chemical cold pack that did not work.

Overall food quality was Blah, at best.  Best meal was Carbonara in Giovannis.  Best restaurant was the Solarium Bistro which we enjoyed almost exclusively the last half of the transit (see the loss of 10 pounds).

Prices on board were/are crazy.  The on board restaurants don't come close to those ashore in quality or service, yet their prices are at least double of similar fares ashore.

This was our last/final time on an RCI ship.  We are Diamond-Plus, but is not an incentive to spend time on a horrible ship and suffer terrible overpriced service.

Next cruise is on HAL in the Spring.  We enjoyed a Panama Canal transit on HAL before this return to RCI.  Mistake to leave HAL even at the bequest of friends.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Medical is always take the forward elevator to the bottom deck, look for the signs. 

Maybe since you are over 80 the ship is too big. I'm up there and dont find the ship too big. I'm glad to have more space to wander around. 

It was your choice to cut to 2 meals a day.

I too didnt have a good meal in chops. Pork belly no meat, all fat. Who would serve a block of fat with no meat attached. Fries no truffle seasoning and waiter argued I was wrong. Steak undercooked and ate 2 bites and couldnt eat more. .. didnt let it ruin my cruise but agree wasnt good.

• Like 1

Every cruiseline is not for everyone.  Maybe after enjoying RCCL for so long, but no longer wanting most of their features, it is time to move up to Celebrity? Why give up RCI entirely when you have such a high status?  RCCL is clearly aiming for young adults and families, and has been for a long time with the climbing walls, flowriders, and other "attractions" (so maybe a better choice for your if you ever went on a multi-generational cruise?)

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. I've lost weight on every cruise I've gone on, and also not intentionally, but because, unlike home, snacks are not available. I just don't eat outside of meal time, and I walk a lot because, as you said, it just takes a long time to get from one place to the next.  

• Like 6

Prices on all cruise lines are crazy these days.

As far as having to walk a bit:  I welcome it to keep me active between meals on the ship.  I understand if you have mobility issues it may not be as inviting, but the scooters they have now are just the cure for that.

As far as food quality:  certainly subjective and subject to individual tastes.  Unfortunate you found it not to your liking the majority of the cruise.

As far as medical attention:  the medical professional and the patient both have responsibilities, if the patient needs pain medications they need to make that request clear.  

Give HAL a try, you may or may not come back.  Our experiences change and sometimes we just have one that doesn't meet our expectations, it doesn't mean we have to give up on them forever.

May the wind be at your back!

• Like 3

I can empathize with the OP.  We are also not wild @ RC's transition to mostly "Coney Island of the Seas".  We are high point D+, never book the cheap rooms and have moved on for the most part to both Celebrity & MSC (Yacht Club only).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, I found half of your lost weight!!! The most I've gained on a cruise in many years. My only food complaint was the changed cookies. We had a lot of really good food. Solarium Bistro was our least favorite.

Odyssey is one of my favorite ships. We all like different ships and enjoy different foods and activities. And we are both in the 75-80 range!

It does sound like you would prefer something like a smaller Celebrity ship. 

Hope your wife is feeling better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

Every cruiseline is not for everyone.  Maybe after enjoying RCCL for so long, but no longer wanting most of their features, it is time to move up to Celebrity? Why give up RCI entirely when you have such a high status?  RCCL is clearly aiming for young adults and families, and has been for a long time with the climbing walls, flowriders, and other "attractions" (so maybe a better choice for your if you ever went on a multi-generational cruise?)

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. I've lost weight on every cruise I've gone on, and also not intentionally, but because, unlike home, snacks are not available. I just don't eat outside of meal time, and I walk a lot because, as you said, it just takes a long time to get from one place to the next.  

Huh ?

We rarely if ever gain any weight on cruises because we don't like the non stop cakes and pastries.  We are intermittent fasters so that may contribute as well.  

I would suggest trying a smaller ship in the future or a different line.  I like the big ships as well as the little guys but agree that if there are mobility issues, definitely try the smaller.  It doesn't bother us now as we are pretty active but may moving forward.

Regarding medical, as I'm sure you know, you have to be proactive if you need pain RX.  I've been to medical 1x on a TA and they were really great (had the flu and was quarantined for 3-4 days until my fever went below 100).  Actually the GS staff, our room attendant reached out as well and made sure I had what I needed.  Free movies, room service..although I just was a zombie in the room with the flu.  Another sailing on Celebrity I had a terrible UTI and visited during Day 1.  They took care of me so that I could get medication and get better.  

I do agree about Chops.  Seems like this is an issue on a few ships.  Noticed on the Grandeur, the Vision, and the Independence it just isn't that good anymore.  We will probably avoid moving forward.

• Like 1

We were also on the Odyssey TA and we loved it!  This was our first cruise on a Quantum class ship, wasn’t sure I was going to like it but I was totally impressed.  I think it may be my favorite Royal ship now.  Very clean, I liked the design a did not find it to be a long walk to most of the places I wanted to go. 

I wish I had lost 10 lbs on this cruise.😂  This was our 6th cruise for 2023 and we thought  the food was the best we have had since the new menu.  Chops, Giovanni’s, and the MDR were all very good in our opinion.  Prior to this cruise, I had found myself becoming more and more negative regarding the decline in Royal’s food.

I agree with you the theater was not very comfortable, also, balcony seating had very obstructed viewing, especially on the sides.  I thought seating in 270 was pretty comfy.

We are planning to book another cruise on this ship.

Sherri🙂

• Like 4

You're presenting details about this ship as if they are BAD.  I think the truth is that these details aren't right FOR YOU personally.  I am -- as my AH husband says -- too old to die young, and I don't have any problem getting around a large ship.  

Hope you can find another cruise line that's better aligned with your needs and wants.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Huh ?

I have found less access to snack foods on cruise- it is not easy to walk to my pantry and just get candies, chips, cookies. Some cruises you have to go out of your way to find cookies, and I've rarely seen chips to just grab.  I have to go sit down for a meal, or make my way through a crowded buffet.

Yes, there is food available all the time, but I have to go out of my way to go eat it. I don't just sit in the buffet all day, and with it on the top floors it is usually at least 5-8 flights of stairs to get to it.  I mean, I eat a lot of ice cream on a cruise, but 5+ flights of stairs keeps me from getting it more than once or twice a day.  There is no stash of food in my cabin at all times. At home and at work, junk food is right next to me all too often.  And it is easier to eat fruit on a cruise because all the fresh fruit is cut and prepared, where at home, if I want a lovely fruit salad, I have a lot of work to do.  

Edited by skittl1321
  • Like 5

We're on the Odyssey TA back to Europe in the Spring. Hope I lose 10 lbs!  

Sorry to hear that the theater is uncomfortable. Sorry to hear Chops wasn't up to expectations. The ship is long, but about the same length as Freedom class and not that much longer than Voyager class. 

Not sure what you expected medical to do. Yeah OTC pain meds might have been nice, but seriously, pack your own Motrin. I never travel without some of the basics like that anywhere. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you lose 10 pounds on a cruise, I would say it's more so an indicator of just how much you are consuming on land.  Personally two meals a day is my norm 365 days a year.  

Not sure how you got to Diamond Plus and didn't realize the size of Royal's ships.  🤣🤣  I agree with you that staying with HAL is probably best at this point, or older smaller Royal ships.

Your opinions are valid to you, but most of the things you complained about re. the ship are things that many of us like. 

Food is subjective, but I do have to agree that there has been a step down since the pandemic.  ...But it's nothing that would have me skipping a meal.  Not even close.  Royal has to be getting a ton of feedback on this so hopefully they right the ship (pun intended) in this regard.  Celebrity is starting to address it by bringing back the classics to their MDR.  Hopefully Royal follows...  and more.

Happy cruising...

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, BND said:

We love the Quantum class and we're over 60.  I never lose weight on a cruise.  

OP says over 80. Big difference for over 60 and over 80. Let us know in 20 years if it's still as easy. Hard to predict.

I can understand how someone in their 80s thinks it's hard to get around. .. having been around my folks at that age. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

OP says over 80. Big difference for over 60 and over 80. Let us know in 20 years if it's still as easy. Hard to predict.

I can understand how someone in their 80s thinks it's hard to get around. .. having been around my folks at that age. 

It varies.  An 83 year old family member loves the big ships, though getting from one end to the other is taking a bit longer than it did 10-15 years ago.  I laughed when the OP said Odyssey was “too big (long) for ‘guests’ over 25.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You're presenting details about this ship as if they are BAD.  I think the truth is that these details aren't right FOR YOU personally.  I am -- as my AH husband says -- too old to die young, and I don't have any problem getting around a large ship.  

Hope you can find another cruise line that's better aligned with your needs and wants.  

I was going to post something similar, but quoting your post is easier. Odyssey may be too big for the OP, but I find the ship very easy to navigate. 

• Like 1

Sounds like the OP picked the wrong ship and cruise line to their liking. 

RC is no longer meeting their needs.

RC seems to be catering to a younger demographic anyway.

Fortunately, there are many other lines to chose from.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skittl1321 said:

Yes, there is food available all the time, but I have to go out of my way to go eat it.

I'll take the other side of that coin.  On a typical day at home I have 2 slices of bacon + 1 egg ... or a 1-egg omelet  ... some days just yogurt for breakfast; whereas, on the ship I have that + grits or potatoes + a doughnut.  Shamefully, sometimes two ... or a yogurt parfait.  Said differently, my meals are larger.  And I definitely find the snacks ... as I'm "out and about", they're easily available.  

My own rules:  I'm allowed to eat whatever I want on the ship ... as long as I do two miles each day (in addition to whatever walking I do just to get here and there) ... AND I take the stairs as often as possible ... AND I drink mostly water.  I don't gain onboard, and I'm happy enough with that.  

3 hours ago, skittl1321 said:

And it is easier to eat fruit on a cruise because all the fresh fruit is cut and prepared, where at home, if I want a lovely fruit salad, I have a lot of work to do.  

Oh, yes.  I remember when my children were small they'd ignore whole fruit ... but if I cut it up and put it on the table for dinner, a large bowl'd be gone in three days.  

3 hours ago, GimmeOcean said:

Yeah OTC pain meds might have been nice, but seriously, pack your own Motrin. I never travel without some of the basics like that anywhere. 

Common sense.  

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Depends upon the individual.  My mother is 80, and she's in fantastic shape.  She can still hike half a day, works in her large garden, needs zero help in her home ... she just needs a few more sit-downs than she did when she was younger.  Her mother was the same:  She was in great shape until she had a stroke at 94 ... and she died at 99 and 7 months.  So much of it has to do with excercise every single day.  

In contrast, my stepfather (same age) is out of breath after walking to the bathroom.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

It varies.  An 83 year old family member loves the big ships, though getting from one end to the other is taking a bit longer than it did 10-15 years ago.  I laughed when the OP said Odyssey was “too big (long) for ‘guests’ over 25.”

I use to race walk half marathons with a man who was in his late 70s, I was in my early 20s and he was always faster than me. So true there are such a big range of fitness abilities especially in 70s and 80s. My grandmother still insists on taking a “brisk” walk for 30 minutes a day and she’s 97.

I’ll be cruising on RCI next year but I don’t think it will be the brand for me. I don’t care for the inward facing mega ships full of attractions. Celebrity is really nice and you can transfer your status over which is a nice perk if you’ve been cruising RCI for a long time.