Florida Ports?

C cruise

I have always embarked on Port Canaveral but now have a chance to use either the port at Tampa or Ft Lauderdale - never saw either. Does anyone know which is easier to get in and out of? If you have been on both, which would you want to go back to?

2 minutes ago, C cruise said:

I have always embarked on Port Canaveral but now have a chance to use either the port at Tampa or Ft Lauderdale - never saw either. Does anyone know which is easier to get in and out of? If you have been on both, which would you want to go back to?

Ft Lauderdale has a nice little airport which I personally love. You can find hotels with free shuttles. Reasonable.

I flew into tampa and its further I think to the port. There seems to be 2 groups of hotels, those with airport shuttles and those with cruise port shuttles but i didnt find both. We got a suite hotel that was pretty awesome in tampa and were able to get a shuttle for a additional cost we walked a few blocks to meet. I liked tampa and the hotels a lot but love ft Lauderdale airport more. 

Some may differ, but both are easier than PC. Or miami. 

• Like 1

PC is only about 25 minutes away from us so that is our first choice.  Tampa is closer than the other two but traffic to Tampa is usually a nightmare. I would rather drive to FL or Miami if we are going on the weekend.

Sherri🙂

• Like 3

I've sailed out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, and Tampa and drive to all of those ports so flights are not a factor for us.  In my opinion, there are four main considerations:

1. Getting there - If you are flying, hardly matters, I suppose.  If you are driving, I've found getting into Port Canaveral very easy. Fort Lauderdale is pretty much a straight shot from the Turnpike and fairly easy access.  Tampa is a little bit tricky due to some recent construction taking place and getting through Miami can be a pain in the neck because of the traffic and people darting in and out of lanes depending on when you travel.

2. Baggage Drop and Parking - Once again, baggage drop and parking at Port Canaveral has always been painless.  The main garages are pretty near the terminal.  Fort Lauderdale isn't too bad for the same reasons...the terminal staff seem organized and parking is fairly close.   Because of so many ships boarding at once, Miami can be quite congested and we've ended up parking quite a distance away from our ship.  Tampa isn't bad..not too far from the terminal to the garage.   Of course, you always have the option of parking off-site and taking a shuttle.  It can make a difference to have someone else do the driving!

3. The onboarding process - I can't say we've noticed a difference among the various terminal staffs.  I tend to like Ft Lauderdale's organization. Same for Port Canaveral.  Our longest waits have been in Miami and Tampa.

4. Disembarking and Getting out of the port - Port Canaveral wins this one "hands down".  Getting out of the port and on the way is easy.  Now, Miami - at least for us - is a totally different story.  I'll bet we've missed the signs to get out of the port at least 3 times (which says a lot about our ability to read overhead signs I suppose!) and had to circle back into the line of those coming into the port for the next cruise. For some reason, we are baffled by the roadways there.  Tampa and Ft Lauderdale are about equal for us...although I think I'd give the edge to Ft Lauderdale.

Of course, all this is totally subjective and those with greater navigational acumen might have very different ideas!

Edited by Bluewake
  • Like 2

I live 45 minutes from Port Tampa, but I prefer Port Everglades because newer, bigger ships sail from that port. As previously mentioned in this thread, Port Tampa is limited to smaller ships, which can sail under the Skyway Bridge. However, I think the port employees at Tampa are the friendliest I have met during my 69 cruises. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Big factor for many will be that starting this summer Utopia will take over the 3 and 4 day itineraries and Wonder will be doing the 7 day for another year and then Star will replace her leaving Port Canaveral with 2 of Royals highest price ships.

I hit the Like button but really wanted it to be UNLIKE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driving to Tampa’s port requires some downtown driving so it’s a little harder to get to than PC, but overall not too bad. Staff were great on embarkation day.

My strike against Tampa is that on debark day the port staff were horrible about picking people up outside. My dad was overdue for hip surgery, in a lot of pain, and couldn’t walk long distances. I walked across the street to get my car and pick him up. When I drove to the bench where he was waiting the port staff were yelling at me to “GO ALL THE WAY DOWN!”. He would have had to walk a long way to get picked up and as I recall there was no signage about this. There was plenty of space in front of, behind, and in the lanes beside me and it took less than a minute for him to get up, get in, and me to drive away. Other people in my social media group were complaining about it too and apparently they sicced the cops on others who didn’t comply. This was the building where terminal 3 is (we were on Carnival but I think Royal Caribbean uses the same building). 

Edited by fizzywm

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Big factor for many will be that starting this summer Utopia will take over the 3 and 4 day itineraries and Wonder will be doing the 7 day for another year and then Star will replace her leaving Port Canaveral with 2 of Royals highest price ships.

And the most crowded parking terminal.  😮   At least they finally paved the second surface lot.  The garage is way too small for the ships home ported there now and in the future.  

Used to do the off site parking, but the shuttles got to be a nightmare.  Parking at the port more expensive, but so much more convenient.  

• Like 1

We live in Central Florida, hour and twenty to PC or Tampa. We prefer these over FLL or Miami because they’re closer.

But for us, since small ships cruise from Tampa, it’s always much less crowded and parking is easier. The past couple of times we drove to PC were not pleasant and parking was confusing and no one there seemed to know where we could park. In Tampa we use Valet parking, it’s a bit more $ but to get off the ship and walk out the door to our car is worth the extra for us. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

And the most crowded parking terminal.

No issues for me ever… even when I parked at noon for Allure’s 1st sailing from PC when Wonder & Indy were already parked with no one disembarking. Those new surface lots provide tons of extra spots, IMO.

All that said, we have previously always parked in the garage for whatever ship around 10am with no issue. So even if you want to avoid surface lots, I’m not too discouraged. 

• Like 2

I fly to Florida so here is my take on it - Port Everglades is much easier to get to and navigate around in than Port Canaveral.

PE is a short ride from the airport while PC is not. The traffic flow at PC is terrible and if you’re on a shuttle bus it will take a very long time to get to the ship. 

Given the choice, I would fly to FLL and take a cruise out of Port Everglades. 

I've never sailed out of Fort Lauderdale.  We've several times stayed in a Fort Lauderdale hotel, then driven on to Miami for boarding; this is less expensive, and the drive is only about 30 minutes.  

We sailed out of Tampa very recently.  Notes: 

- Note that only smaller ships can sail out of Tampa -- we were on Grandeur.  It's because you must pass under a bridge to exit the bay.  The bridge is about two hours out of port, and it's worthwhile to be out on deck when you go under; it's even cooler to be out on deck when you return, as the bridge is lit up during the night.  

- Getting in the night before, Tampa traffic was awful -- so crowded!  Admittedly, we arrived during evening rush hour on a Friday.  But going into the port (fairly early in the morning) was easy.  

- Tampa's port parking website is excellent /graphics show exactly how you're going to drive in and enter the parking deck.   

- Parking was easy and a little less expensive than Port Canaveral -- no winner between the two in terms of parking.  Parking is very close to the port, but you must pass over a set of trolley rails in the street, and you need to be careful of your wheeled suitcases.  

- Port staff was very friendly and accommodating.  We arrive too early (always do -- just excited), and they directed us to a small park area (next to the Aquarium) to wait.  When it was time for us to enter, the lady who'd directed us to the park walked over and invited us to enter the terminal.  

- Getting through security was easy and fast.  No lines. 

- The lady who "dismissed us" from the terminal to the ship was very organized -- pretty sure she was a high school teacher in a past life.  Instead of allowing a free-for-all, she dismissed the first 5-6 rows, then the next 5-6 rows.  Made for a much calmer, more civilized entrance to the ship.  

- Returning was very easy.  We used self-disembarkation and walked off about 7:00.  We literally never stopped walking -- it was that un-crowded.  Tampa does not have facial recognition software, so a real human looked at our passports, but we experienced literally no line.  Maybe because we were among the first to disembark?

- A negative:  Hotel rooms near the port in Tampa are expensive.  We stayed in Ybor City (only a 15 minute drive from the port), and we won't do it again -- ratty area of town, worried a little about leaving our car in the parking lot.  I think we'd stay a little further out next time.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

I grew up in Dania Beach, which is the city that is just south and borders both FLL and Port Everglades.  I'm also the retired general manager of the parking facilities of both.  Having said all that, I prefer to cruise out of Miami, only because of the new RCCL terminal.  However, if I was flying in, I'd fly into FLL, get a hotel room near there, and make my way to Miami in the morning.  Generally speaking, flight fares are a little cheaper flying into FLL vs MIA and so are the local hotels. But, getting into Port Everglades, being a working cargo port and a major electric plant, has a lot of security and the checkpoint can get backed up.  The RCCL terminal itself is easy to get into, drop off luggage, and then park if you drive in.  I find that the Port of Canaveral is very easy in and out but far from Orlando Airport and traffic is subject to very very heavy congestion when there is a rocket lift-off, it is hard to schedule around a liftoff, it may be scheduled for today, postponed and rescheduled for a later day.  It can be frustrating.  On my last cruise out of Canaveral, there was a liftoff scheduled that morning, it was postponed to a later day but the traffic was very very heavy because not everybody got the word.  We made it in time because we are always early to everything.  Finding a hotel room near the port can be an issue at times.  If there is a lot going on with NASA, high season for tourists, and a heavy debarkation day in the port, the hotels get booked up.  Book early if possible.

Can't help with Tampa, never been to that port.

Wife and I have cruised out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Port Canaveral. We've flown into Miami and driven at least once to all three. I have no real preference for either. The ship and the itineraries are always more important to us than the place we start and end.

We're in South Alabama, so every port in Florida and all the way to Galveston are within a day's drive for us. We went out of New Orleans once and didn't care for it- not because of the port itself, but because we both got seasick on the small ship zooming down the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico.

We've never gone out of Tampa, but we've had several friends on multiple cruises out of Tampa who were delayed for more than a day either inside the port at the beginning of their cruises or outside the port at the end of their cruises because of fog. For this reason alone, we avoid anything out of Tampa.

4 hours ago, island lady said:

And the most crowded parking terminal.  😮   At least they finally paved the second surface lot.  The garage is way too small for the ships home ported there now and in the future.  

Used to do the off site parking, but the shuttles got to be a nightmare.  Parking at the port more expensive, but so much more convenient.  

Are you talking about parking at Port Canaveral? In the last 15 months I have sailed on Wonder 3 times, Harmony 3 times, Mariner 2 times and Independence 4 times out of Port Canaveral. I always drive to the port and I have never had an issue parking at the port. 

4 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

I fly to Florida so here is my take on it - Port Everglades is much easier to get to and navigate around in than Port Canaveral.

PE is a short ride from the airport while PC is not. The traffic flow at PC is terrible and if you’re on a shuttle bus it will take a very long time to get to the ship. 

Given the choice, I would fly to FLL and take a cruise out of Port Everglades. 

I live in Florida and always drive to ports in Florida. In my book Port Canaveral is much easier to navigate than Port Everglades, which is fairly spread out. Additionally, security stops and checks every car entering Port Everglades, which can cause significant delays if you show up at the same time a lot of other cars do, which is almost always the case.