Power strip or no power strip

Mother14

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I had to buy one for my car as it has USB A and not USB C. Bought a cable not an adapter. All my devices are USB C now so those USB ports on ships and hotel rooms are useless. I was just on a road trip and none of the hotels had USB C. But on the other hand all the devices with USB C fast charge so I don't really need multi outlets anymore. I can charge them one after the other with  one regular outlet. On a ship I have a Euro plug adapter so I can charge from that plug plus the US outlet. That is usually three mains which is enough.

There can be multiple solutions, we have to remember that there isn't a one-size-fits-all for everyone's device needs as you have the overall number of devices, device ports, speed of charging, and medical device equipment like CPAP.  I've heard some use a battery power bank to charge a device overnight, and then they'll charge the power bank during the day.  I personally bought this cable to charge my iPhone when on an airplane

image.thumb.png.31ebe337aebc46399888ece492ae2d6c.png

23 hours ago, Mother14 said:

In the last several months, in preparation for our Western Caribbean cruise on the Apex, I’ve been binging cruise planning YouTube videos. Initially all the counsel was to make sure any power strips were ‘cruise approved’ (non surge protected). Recently a couple of the better known YouTubers have said that cruise lines are confiscating ALL power strips. Can anyone confer or deny this referencing a recent cruise on the Apex?

Power Strips almost certainly WILL be confiscated.

I have a 2 prong adapter like the one below. 

That way we have some more plug options.

Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 3.09.36 PM.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Don’t wait until you get on board to request one. Contact the special-needs department and they will make sure that you have one waiting for you in your state room or it will be delivered shortly by the housekeeping staff along with distilled water.

If only shoreside-to-ship communication was reliable.  You're helping others if you bring your own CPAP extension cord as you are freeing up an onboard one that now someone else can use as there's only a certain number available on board

On social media sail groups, from time to time I see a post where someone didn't bring a cord and the ship ran out so they had to forego the use of their CPAP until they got to a port where they wasted time and money (because it's usually expensive) to buy a cord when in port.  Never heard of anyone claiming their extension cord (different than a power strip) got confiscated when returning to port

25 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

There can be multiple solutions, we have to remember that there isn't a one-size-fits-all for everyone's device needs as you have the overall number of devices, device ports, speed of charging, and medical device equipment like CPAP.  I've heard some use a battery power bank to charge a device overnight, and then they'll charge the power bank during the day.  I personally bought this cable to charge my iPhone when on an airplane

image.thumb.png.31ebe337aebc46399888ece492ae2d6c.png

I always carry a power bank just in case but have not had to use it overnight. I carry a USB A to C cable for flights to use if they have a USB port but my last two didn’t have any charge ports.  I agree there is not a one size fits all. Also while all my devices have USB C that was not the case until the end of September. I am sure some still have mixed ports. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KKB said:

Power Strips almost certainly WILL be confiscated.

I have a 2 prong adapter like the one below. 

That way we have some more plug options.

If you attempt to carry them on vs throwing them into your "check-in" luggage that goes to the porter, then yes

If the cabin has outlets by the bed, I bring a European to US Adapter, then a short non surge power strip.  Plug in one on each side, and have all the power and USB I need on the bedside table.  Never had an issue doing this.

I have brought extension cords, as I prefer my cords over the ones provided by the ship.  Those are almost impossible to clean well when you get them, especially if they have tape all over them and are sticky.

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

Ok so I read it again.

So there were only two electrical outlets plus 2 USB ports in a Sky Suite?

Did your cabin have a charging box and where there any 220V outlets?

I use one of these multi connection USB chargers.

Anker 40W 4-Port USB Wall Charger...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VH8G1SY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

the white box shown above  is awkward with some plugs but is better than nothing

New X cruiser here. If a cord is confiscated do they return it to you at the end of the cruise? I have a plug in device with 3 outlets and 4 USB ports that I use on Princess and it’s never been taken from my carry on luggage. It does not have surge protection but what I’m reading here it seems like X might be stricter than P. I don’t want to lose it as it’s a great device and I would hope X would return it if they wouldn’t allow it onboard.

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Expectation vs reality as they do NOT have enough extension cords on board

image.thumb.png.d07e68321e5707573eba9c3e192c5c6c.png 

That was shoreside concierge, not Special Needs using the request form.  Never had an issue when requested through any cruise line special needs department, well apart from Costa who wanted to charge us for the water…..

13 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

New X cruiser here. If a cord is confiscated do they return it to you at the end of the cruise? I have a plug in device with 3 outlets and 4 USB ports that I use on Princess and it’s never been taken from my carry on luggage. It does not have surge protection but what I’m reading here it seems like X might be stricter than P. I don’t want to lose it as it’s a great device and I would hope X would return it if they wouldn’t allow it onboard.

If it has surge protection leave it home.  It's a fire hazard on a cruise ship.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Anyone is welcome to trust special needs forms, but they only have 100 cords and you’re the 101st person.  I know a lot of people in suites request them with their pre-sailing concierge, not sure who gets priority

I'd hope that medical needs would supersede suite passenger wants.

On 11/24/2023 at 3:48 PM, Tyler414 said:

At lease 3 outlets in the cabin 1 in bathroom and at least 3 USB’s in cabin. My apex cabin phone had a USB to make 4.   Plenty. 

Eclipse as of November 2023 has no USB outlets that I can find looking at recent videos.

16 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Don’t wait until you get on board to request one. Contact the special-needs department and they will make sure that you have one waiting for you in your state room or it will be delivered shortly by the housekeeping staff along with distilled water.

special_needs@celebrity.com. I got a reply back within a week telling me exactly what you said above.👍

46 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

As I read it, they were requesting for medical needs, but were going through the concierge rather than the special-needs department.  

5 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

As I read it, they were requesting for medical needs, but were going through the concierge rather than the special-needs department.  

Not how I read it. But if it truly is a medical need, the request should go through Special Needs. I strongly suspect that medical needs will get priority - so if there are more requests, those who have gone through Special Needs should get it first. Now, if someone in a suite contacts the concierge and tells them it's medical, the concierge may forward it to Special Needs. But it seems simple enough to just email them on your own.

My favorite part of cruising is getting away from all these electronic leashes…I have to remember to charge my phone the last night so I can check in to my flight, if I have one…otherwise, I just let it charge in the car on the ride home.  

why do I need a watch on board, clocks are around the ship..etc..

y’all should try disconnecting sometime, it’s refreshing. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 1

The concierge usually send out a pre-cruise questionnaire, asking if there are any requests for the stateroom, extra hangers, extra blankets, etc.  I imagine that some who need an extension cord note their request there, feeling that there is then no need to put in an order through special needs.

Edited by cruisestitch

20 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

My favorite part of cruising is getting away from all these electronic leashes…I have to remember to charge my phone the last night so I can check in to my flight, if I have one…otherwise, I just let it charge in the car on the ride home.  

why do I need a watch on board, clocks are around the ship..etc..

y’all should try disconnecting sometime, it’s refreshing. 

Different strokes . . .    My last few cruises were solo, and keeping in touch with and sharing pictures with friends and family at home was a big part of my enjoyment.  And I was happy that I got the text and email from one of my credit card companies about a potentially fraudulent charge, which was definitely fraudulent.  I want my airline to be able to contact me in case of a schedule change or a flight cancelation.   I like checking news headlines; I'm interested in what's going on in the world.   My phone is my camera - smaller to carry around than my old digital camera.   My phone and tablet are part of my enjoyment of the cruise, and I can't see any reason to disconnect.   I sailed disconnected back in an earlier era, and I like this way better.  To each his/her own.  😃

I need a watch on excursions when we have free time and are told what time to return to the bus, but I have a solar-powered watch for that.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

You would hope so but there's probably no "enforcer" of power strips.  We don't know how they do things but would it be surprising if there was a box of them in a random supply room and it was first come first serve?  The only facts we know for sure that could change tomorrow is that there isn't enough for everyone as those who request them upon meeting the stateroom attendant are often told there are no more left. Also is stateroom attendant is in charge of acquiring and delivering the cord.

The point I'm trying to drive home for those who need one for medical equipment is why take an unnecessary risk?  Fill out the special needs form if you wish and pack your own non-surge extension cord.  I have got one on every single sailing, over a dozen since the restart, and worst case, they take it and you get it back at the end of the cruise