Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

15 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Yeah, I skied down the glacier at Whistler/Blackcomb in June (199x).  Skiing in a t-shirt.  🙂  But forgot sunscreen.  😞 

So beautiful there.  🥰

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yes, but at times have seen it used for different things on some Cruises, Private gatherings, etc

Have seen that as well on various Radiance class sisters.  For this whole WC 274 days adventure...it is a dedicated card and game room separate from the WJ....as @orville99 stated correctly.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yes, but at times have seen it used for different things on some Cruises, Private gatherings, etc

Well, using an area like that for private functions is a lot better than using the Solarium like they did on Allure on a sunny sea day. I'd still like to meet face to face with the idiot, I mean person,  that ok'd that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Being very chilly outside, we are not doing our usual...sitting outside of the WJ on the aft.  Unless I  want to wear my polar gear and deal with gloves on my hands...we have been sitting inside the WJ for lunch.  We of course are not alone in this, which puts more diners inside for lunch.  We pick up our food, sit, eat, and leave......making sure our table is as clean as possible before we do so.  

What bothers me are the pax that are camping out at the dining tables inside the WJ...not eating...but playing cards, playing games, on their laptops/devices...etc..  IIMHO...It's OK when not busy, but during noon lunch time...it makes it tough for diners to find an empty table.  There is a nice area set aside for cards, game playing, etc. in the annex right next door.  Through that glass door of the annex, I noticed less than half the tables in there occupied.  So now we have frustrated pax walking around trying to find a table to eat at.  Shame. 

Please people, be considerate during lunch time...and take your games elsewhere.  OK...off my soap box now.  

56 minutes ago, island lady said:

And sometimes is the reason I spend a lot of time in my cabin reading.  😉 

On our TA on Odyssey this past October, every table in most locations including bars, the Music Hall, Theatre 270, Giovannis Wine Bar, areas on WJ……every nook and cranny was occupied almost all day by people playing cards / games / laptops / book readers / etc.

we tried more than once to have lunch at the Wine bar, never could, always every table was filled all day. So we spent a lot of time on our balcony, which was wonderful.  

On Radiance a week ago, I heard announcements a couple of times in the WJ to please not sit at tables unless you’re eating. Didn’t see anyone get up and leave though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

On Radiance a week ago, I heard announcements a couple of times in the WJ to please not sit at tables unless you’re eating. Didn’t see anyone get up and leave though.

That is because the announcements only apply to other people.

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Yup, that's it.  Very enclosed.  They have locked that double glass door from the WJ eating area to that annex with a sign stating to enter from the other side. It's well listed as set up for an enclosed game/card room.  You have to enter near the small art gallery and the restrooms.  Not an eating area at all.  

Nice area for this, beats the usually smaller card/game room by Main Dining. In past know Adventure Ocean would take Kids in there to eat for Lunch & Dinner this just 4 months ago Along with Crew, Entertainment and Shop workers were also eating their Dinners in there

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

When did Radiance visit Greenland? Not in the past ten years I guess?

4 months ago.(Jewel I meant)(Same Class ship)

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Please people, be considerate during lunch time...and take your games elsewhere.  OK...off my soap box now.  

These are the pool chair hogs and theater row chair hogs. Now taking over the WJ. Wait a minute. After typing that I now find using "hog" to refer to them offensive to me. 😂 

Edited by doghog
  • Haha 14

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I'm not sure but is that annex area you are talking about actually heated or is that just like sitting outside without the wind? Are the ping pong tables out there too?

the image.thumb.png.60902c6e016751c935defe9f2963a8fd.png

The Annex is a fully enclosed, carpeted and heated conference/event space with a glass wall to the sea.  It is used for small group functions and classes such a bridge etc and overflow from the WJ.

For the UWC they did dedicate it as the card room

Edited by Badatz2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Nice area for this, beats the usually smaller card/game room by Main Dining. In past know Adventure Ocean would take Kids in there to eat for Lunch & Dinner this just 4 months ago Along with Crew, Entertainment and Shop workers were also eating their Dinners in there

The side room off the MDR on deck four is also a card room...bridge I think.  But I have seen them use it for other things around dinner time.  I didn't really pay much attention to that one, but it's not set up for dining in there at all when we pass by.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, doghog said:

These are the pool chair hogs and theater row chair hogs. Now taking over the WJ. Wait a minute. After typing that I now find using "hog" to refer to them offensive to me. 😂 

Noo...no...you are the good kind of "hog" Dave.  😄 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Being very chilly outside, we are not doing our usual...sitting outside of the WJ on the aft.  Unless I  want to wear my polar gear and deal with gloves on my hands...we have been sitting inside the WJ for lunch.  We of course are not alone in this, which puts more diners inside for lunch.  We pick up our food, sit, eat, and leave......making sure our table is as clean as possible before we do so.  

What bothers me are the pax that are camping out at the dining tables inside the WJ...not eating...but playing cards, playing games, on their laptops/devices...etc..  IIMHO...It's OK when not busy, but during noon lunch time...it makes it tough for diners to find an empty table.  There is a nice area set aside for cards, game playing, etc. in the annex right next door.  Through that glass door of the annex, I noticed less than half the tables in there occupied.  So now we have frustrated pax walking around trying to find a table to eat at.  Shame. 

100%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, island lady said:

The side room off the MDR on deck four is also a card room...bridge I think.  But I have seen them use it for other things around dinner time.  I didn't really pay much attention to that one, but it's not set up for dining in there at all when we pass by.  

Yes, about Decade ago it was used Special meals inc Singles Luncheons

• Like 1

On the 23-day Explorer TP (2018) a survey was left in cabins one week into the cruise to take the temperature of the population and solicit feedback. One suggestion I submitted at that time was implemented within days. Have they done anything of that sort of this cruise?

12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I think as long as the waves/swells aren't to bad you should be able to tender at Falkland Island as long as you get a little teamwork from  larger ship  Celebrity Eclipse blocking some of the wind for the smaller Serenade.

The wind is coming from the island side, so if Eclipse pulls parallel with island and Serenade pulls parallel with Eclipse and you guys tender on the opposite side of Eclipse  where there now should be pretty much no wind on your side of Serenade where you can get into the tenders.

Probably tender in from North of the Airport Strip. Both ships are to large to go into the docking area.

Still Going to come down to the waves/swells if you can get in the tenders safely or not though.

Have you been to Pt Stanley?

We're looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Always been people eating breakfast/lunch and dinner in that area just like the rest of the Windjammer area. No difference in there then rest of Windjammer/ where people camp out.

They've sealed the opening from WJ to keep out diners

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, using an area like that for private functions is a lot better than using the Solarium like they did on Allure on a sunny sea day. I'd still like to meet face to face with the idiot, I mean person,  that ok'd that.

You can buy out any venue on any ship anytime. Just gotta pay the price