Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

9 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

🤨

Watched a video yesterday by a couple who are "onboard".  They can't sleep onboard yet, but they do spend their days and eat meals, use the gym and other facilities during the day.  They said their sea trials got delayed until Sunday so we'll see.  Not true they aren't going anywhere, they just haven't yet.  Lots of updates have been done onboard.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, BND said:

Watched a video yesterday by a couple who are "onboard".  They can't sleep onboard yet, but they do spend their days and eat meals, use the gym and other facilities during the day.  They said their sea trials got delayed until Sunday so we'll see.  Not true they aren't going anywhere, they just haven't yet.  Lots of updates have been done onboard.

UGH.  So they're having to pay for a hotel for a place to sleep ?  That seems weird to me, if they are allowed to be on the ship during the day.  Why not at night (not that I expect you to know the answer...just musing...) ?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

UGH.  So they're having to pay for a hotel for a place to sleep ?  That seems weird to me, if they are allowed to be on the ship during the day.  Why not at night (not that I expect you to know the answer...just musing...) ?

No, the ship is picking up the cost of the hotel and transportation back and forth to the ship.  I'm pretty sure they can't sleep onboard because it doesn't have the correct approvals yet (i.e., the sea trials completed).  Kind of like occupancy permits is my guess.

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, BND said:

John said it was never going to happen, sure won't finish😉

• Like 1

Speaking of not going anywhere, we're still in St John's 😉

See that opening, apparently it's tight, and due to winds yesterday the pilots would not let us leave.

20240830_062753.thumb.jpg.6d64612cf7efc4abf3ee2bfcf013cdd0.jpg

Personally, I think they kept us hostage to populate their bars and Restaurants on Water Street🤣

20240829_193034.thumb.jpg.a3f9687d902efe1eac562e19b6392cdd.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

John said it was never going to happen, sure won't finish😉

Okay, I guess then it's a done deal.  And I say, we can wait and see what happens since no one really knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

20240829_193034.thumb.jpg.a3f9687d902efe1eac562e19b6392cdd.jpg

Leave it to the Newfie’s to welcome you in this sort of screwed up welcome, and then not let you leave. 😂

Welcome to Canada world cruisers, stay a while. 😀

• Haha 5

On 8/28/2024 at 8:02 AM, Ocean Boy said:

RCI should have made Manhattan the home port instead of Bayonne. But then, just like Crown Bay on St. Thomas, customer convenience doesn't typically seem to be high on RCI's priority list.

I have sailed on HAL a couple times out of Manhattan definitely prefer Bayonne.  Easier drive for us, easier and cheaper parking helps too.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have sailed on HAL a couple times out of Manhattan definitely prefer Bayonne.  Easier drive for us, easier and cheaper parking helps too.

No need for a car. Amtrak to NYC Penn Station and 5 minute cab, or even walk, to the ship.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

No need for a car. Amtrak to NYC and 5 minute cab, or even walk, to the ship.

We can drive to Bayonne and be there in about 1.5 hrs usually.   

It would take us 1 hr to get to Philly to get on amtrak...then car service or parking fees...plus additional hassles of dealing with luggage.

So much easier to load luggage in car, drive and park..then repeat to get home.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We can drive to Bayonne and be there in about 1.5 hrs usually.   

It would take us 1 hr to get to Philly to get on amtrak...then car service or parking fees...plus additional hassles of dealing with luggage.

So much easier to load luggage in car, drive and park..then repeat to get home.

I guess which side of the Hudson River that one lives on can affect one's point of view. I also live 10 minutes away from an Amtrak station.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

No need for a car. Amtrak to NYC Penn Station and 5 minute cab, or even walk, to the ship.

Did that many times for NCL cruises. used to live 15 mts from Amtrak and NJT stations. Never was as convenient as cruising from Bayonne. I am with Debbie. I used to live in NJ.
But if you are coming from North of NY, you will definitely have a different opinion about getting to Bayonne and will find NY ports easier to get to.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Looks like ship left early since schedule for port has it still in St John’s on 31st.

Also cruisemapper has Serenade in Bayonne.

We left St John's at 8am yesterday

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pspercy said:

I worked out of St John’s some years ago, we hung out on Water St at a fine place called El Tico but I think it’s gone now.:(

Strip clubs on George Street were very popular I understand 

4 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Strip clubs on George Street were very popular I understand 

I don't remember anyone mentioning anything like that, in fact never heard of George St !

Might've sampled if we'd known

3 hours ago, pspercy said:

I don't remember anyone mentioning anything like that, in fact never heard of George St !

Might've sampled if we'd known

They didn't open till 9pm