May not be able to go on cruise….do I just lose it?

We are booked on a long-awaited cruise next Sunday.  Sadly one of our dogs is coughing - which is a big problem now with the threat of this new mysterious dog flu and we may not be able to board here anywhere.  We booked thru a travel agent. Are we just looking at a complete loss of our cruise fare?  Any experience with this or advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

1 minute ago, Cabana Girl said:

We are booked on a long-awaited cruise next Sunday.  Sadly one of our dogs is coughing - which is a big problem now with the threat of this new mysterious dog flu and we may not be able to board here anywhere.  We booked thru a travel agent. Are we just looking at a complete loss of our cruise fare?  Any experience with this or advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

I'm sorry about your dog. Unless you have cancel for any reason insurance you are likely out of luck.  You will get your taxes and fees refunded but unfortunately the rest of your  cruise fare would be lost.  If one of you could go and the other stay home you would at least get something out it.

Hopefully you purchased insurance or maybe your TA has some kind of favorable policy for situations like this one  But bottom line without insurance and cancelling a week before your cruise you are looking at losing 100% of your base cruise fare. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

15 minutes ago, Cabana Girl said:

The vet will not board her because of their fear of contagion in light of a new mystery disease.  I am still looking for options.  Thank you!

I thought that might be the case.  Is there any chance that your “pup” will be over it before you are to board the ship?  It is possible that you can leave them with a friend who has no pets, or someone who could house sit with your dog?

We haven’t had a dog in years, so my knowledge of this new bug is foreign to me.  Is it something that can be terminal, or just a bad virus?  I also understand not wanting to go if there is a good chance they could pass from this illness.  

Hopefully you find a solution and more importantly your pup comes through this as best as possible. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 6

I hope your doggy feels better soon!

I have heard of this new virus for dogs but not familiar with the treatment.    Does he need daily meds (antibiotics)?   

I know I would not be able to go on a cruise and enjoy it if I had a sick pet at home.   Hopefully he will be on the mend soon.

If insurance does not cover cancellation due to a sick pet, that stinks as they are family members too!

Good luck and hope all goes well for you and your family

We were supposed to be on the October 22 Harmony cruise.  Flew down to Miami  on the 21st, went to dinner, and when we got back our pet sitter called to say one of our dogs had gotten very sick.  She took her to the emergency vet and the vet was pretty sure she knew what it was and fluids would probably “fix” the problem and that we could go on the cruise.  Couldn’t do it!  Maybe if my daughter was around to take care of the dog but she was with us!  So we flew back home Sunday morning and kissed our cruise fare goodbye.  Got our drink package, internet, excursion, tips, and some fees back immediately after the cruise was completed.

We’ve been cruising since 1986 and this is the first issue we’ve run into.  If you cruise without insurance you need to be willing to accept the loss.  And you are correct - you would need “cancel for any reason” since other policies don’t cover sick pets (just booked a cruise for 2025 and was looking into policies but haven’t bought any insurance yet).  😀

9 hours ago, Cabana Girl said:

We have insurance, but there is no “my dog is sick” excuse.  One of us cannot go for other reasons and we will probably just be out of luck. I’ll call TA tomorrow and see if there is any hope.  

Sorry to hear about your dog.

Unfortunately as others have stated you will only  get back port fees and taxes.  Cancel for any reason insurance has to be purchased within a set number of days of booking your cruise so that's not an option.

The only thing I can suggest is if you have a friend or relative that wants to travel solo you can change one name on the booking as long as one name remains.  The friend boards and the original passenger is a no show.  Might allow you to recoup a small portion of the fare or at least gift a cruise to someone.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PoorNC said:

We were supposed to be on the October 22 Harmony cruise.  Flew down to Miami  on the 21st, went to dinner, and when we got back our pet sitter called to say one of our dogs had gotten very sick.  She took her to the emergency vet and the vet was pretty sure she knew what it was and fluids would probably “fix” the problem and that we could go on the cruise.  Couldn’t do it!  Maybe if my daughter was around to take care of the dog but she was with us!  So we flew back home Sunday morning and kissed our cruise fare goodbye.  Got our drink package, internet, excursion, tips, and some fees back immediately after the cruise was completed.

We’ve been cruising since 1986 and this is the first issue we’ve run into.  If you cruise without insurance you need to be willing to accept the loss.  And you are correct - you would need “cancel for any reason” since other policies don’t cover sick pets (just booked a cruise for 2025 and was looking into policies but haven’t bought any insurance yet).  😀

Sorry to hear about your dog. I hope your dog is feeling better now. It was refreshing reading your comment and your attitude. Too often people are quick to complain about RCI not refunding cruise fares when the blame lies with them for not buying insurance, yet somehow it is RCI’s fault in their mind. 

• Like 1

It is hard to know what to do with our beloved pets. I hope he doesn't have the new respiratory virus. Dogs that have it seem to go downhill very quickly. You have a week. 

We were away for 2 weeks in March, and while our neighbor pet sitter tried his best, our cat was in bad shape from irregular medication doses when we got home. He lasted until September. 

It is hard to know what to do. Just like with a family member. Maybe ask your vet if they know of a vet tech that you could pay to pet sit? 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PoorNC said:

Oooo sorry!  I hope YOUR dog is better now!  We bought insurance as usual, but this policy did not offer a cancel for any reason clause.  We have cruised at least 85 times and have never had this happen….we have also been very fortunate.  

We have two dogs and the second one has not developed a cough or sneeze yet.    We are proceeding as if we will be able to go, we’ll see.  

We are not comfortable with a pet sitter.  We just don’t know anyone well enough to leave them in our home with our babies and all of our stuff/info when we leave the country.  

thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cabana Girl said:

If you have travel insurance that covers this reason, then you may be able to get some of your money back. If not, then it's down the drain - so to speak. Hope your dog recovers quickly as this illness can be serious for dogs.

20 hours ago, Cabana Girl said:

The vet will not board her because of their fear of contagion in light of a new mystery disease.  I am still looking for options.  Thank you!

Do you maybe have a family member (who has no dogs) who might take the pup while you're cruising?  I just did a search, and Google says this new dog illness cannot spread to humans.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Having lost our 17 year old Coton de Tulear just a couple of months ago, we know how upsetting this is and hope that all will work out for your dogs. Is there any possibility of hiring a dog sitter? 

I'm so sorry about the loss of your Coton. We have 2 Cotons. Tiki will be 14 in March and Coco Chanel is 11. I dread the day we have to say goodbye. I could never leave one of them if they were sick. 

• Like 2

Our dog was completely normal by Tuesday, just like the vet said!  

Also, when searching insurance recently, I found a “cancel for any reason” policy that required two day’s notice.  So that policy would have been a waste too since we were within a day.  So be real careful to read the fine print on any insurance policy!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mel76 said:

You may try to rebook. 

Ask for "Resolution dept" and press for rebooking at another time...they may dock you a couple hundred but I've read others have been successful.  Good luck with your fur baby

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 4