I emailed the executive office with questions about auto-gratuity dispersement.

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but why not just factor the auto-grats as part of the fare?  

Let's say your room is $1000pp for the week.  Now add in auto-grats.  That's an additional $126 if I did my math right.  

What difference does it make whether they say "take your base fare and add auto-grats" or "we've included gratuities in the base fare"?  Either way, you're paying $1126.  

Or, remove the auto grats, hand the room steward $50, head waiter $40, and assistant waiter $36.  

I think too many people are caught up in "it's called a TIP!"  Realistically, what difference does it make?  "But if I don't get good service, I don't want to encourage them"  What are you going to do if the Flowrider attendants are rude?  What if the CD isn't entertaining? 

Oh yeah, I’m totally cool with rolling all of the gratuities into base cruise fare. Agreed.  

I was just trying to think of ways to make the $18 per day more palatable by rolling the “other services” portion into the cruise fare because we don’t directly deal with those folks and in normal Service sectors those are not tipped positions.  It would knock down the auto opportunity to more like $12 per day. However, like you say, I’m happy to roll all of it in 

Edited by The Fun Researcher
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 1:57 PM, budmeister said:

"Thank you for the email reply. 100% of all gratuities are distributed to the crew. "

What it does not say is whether it is cash, or wage supplement, or other forms of "reward". The "gratuity" can be used to bring employees up to their minimum contract value (just like tipped earners back in the good ole US).  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

What it does not say is whether it is cash, or wage supplement, or other forms of "reward". The "gratuity" can be used to bring employees up to their minimum contract value (just like tipped earners back in the good ole US).  

Wow. That did not even cross my mind. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 1:50 PM, budmeister said:

""Thank you for the email reply. 100% of all gratuities are distributed to the crew. Surveys do not impact gratuities distribution.". 

It might not impact gratuity distribution but it likely impacts promotability off of 3rd shift, shore leave and 'moving up the ladder'.  Unless service sucks, I give them 10's.  Nobody likes to be a Richard and it is easy to give a helping hand up...  IMHO

Just now, bgoff60 said:

It might not impact gratuity distribution but it likely impacts promotability off of 3rd shift, shore leave and 'moving up the ladder'.  Unless service sucks, I give them 10's.  Nobody likes to be a Richard and it is easy to give a helping hand up...  IMHO

I either give a 10 or click n/a if I am unhappy enough not to be able to give a 10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Oh yeah, I’m totally cool with rolling all of the gratuities into base cruise fare. Agreed.  

I was just trying to think of ways to make the $18 per day more palatable by rolling the “other services” portion into the cruise fare because we don’t directly deal with those folks and in normal Service sectors those are not tipped positions.  It would knock down the auto opportunity to more like $12 per day. However, like you say, I’m happy to roll all of it in 

I think you missed my point.  It doesn't matter whether RCI calls it a tip, service charge, or increases the base fare.  Think of it as part of the cost of the cruise.  IGNORE what RCI calls it. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I think you missed my point.  It doesn't matter whether RCI calls it a tip, service charge, or increases the base fare.  Think of it as part of the cost of the cruise.  IGNORE what RCI calls it. 

Oh ok.  Thanks for the clarification.

The factual side of my has a hard time rectifying that.  If they call it a gratuity it’s hard for me to ignore that.  

I can however just consider it part of the cost of cruising, which is how I’ve approached it since we’ve started cruising 

Happy cruising!

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Waynetor said:

Adjusting for inflation, the attendants and dinning staff are far behind what they used to get.

The cabin attendants are providing 50% less service now than they used to. Adjust that for inflation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The wait staff gets their guarantee, if I don’t show up to my table they have less work to do, less work, less money. 

Exactly, no different than on land. No patrons in the restaurant... no tips. Maybe we should all stop eating at home.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The cabin attendants are providing 50% less service now than they used to. Adjust that for inflation.

No, you're receiving 50% less. Doesn't mean the attendants are doing 50% less.

If they did 15 cabins 2x/day in the past, that's 30 cleanings.  Now they're doing 20 cabins 1x/day.  Thats 20 cleanings.  So they're doing 30% less. 😄

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not sure that is exactly true or not, I believe now though they have twice as many cabins to take care of then before.

There now is just less cabin stewards on a ship.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Not sure that is exactly true or not, I believe now though they have twice as many cabins to take care of then before.

There now is just less cabin stewards on a ship.

They are providing 50% less service to the guest. When talking about gratuity all that matters is the service provided to you, me, or any other individual guest. It doesn't matter how much work they are doing overall or how many cabins they clean. That is between the employee and RCI. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

No, you're receiving 50% less. Doesn't mean the attendants are doing 50% less.

If they did 15 cabins 2x/day in the past, that's 30 cleanings.  Now they're doing 20 cabins 1x/day.  Thats 20 cleanings.  So they're doing 30% less. 😄

And in your scenario they are getting tips from 40 people Instead of 30 people (based on double occupancy), sooooooo more money for 30% less work. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Definitely agree with your comment. I think it is crazy what people are paying these days for anything cruise related, and especially Icon related. I don’t have an issue with RCI, I would keep increasing prices too as long as people keeping spending the way they are doing these days. Fortunately I am retired and can still find fairly good deals (with the exception of Icon) since I can cruise any time. 

Not to change course on this thread, but not only are people paying crazy prices to cruise, but also at Disney. And since I don’t follow other types of vacations, all inclusive or amusement parks, it’s probably there too. I can’t believe how much people are spending at Disney. I’m on a few groups on that other social site and from what I see, it’s not just cruising that’s crazy.

• Like 1

Good thing Royal has given us a choice on gratuity.  It is nice that cruisers have the option to prepay their gratuities and not worry about it during their cruise.  Many other cruisers prefer to allow Royal to have daily automatic gratuities deducted from their credit cards while on their cruise.   Many cruisers contact guest services and request automatic gratuities be removed and give gratuities directly to those that they feel deserve.   Some cruisers may not even give gratuities to anyone. Cruisers have many different reasons for making their gratuity decisions.  All of these options are acceptable to Royal.

The decision on allocating your gratuity is up to you.  Many on here get upset if you don't tip their way.   Tip what makes you feel good and don't worry how others decide to tip! 

Happy Cruising 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So they make too much?

Maybe. More than what they expected? Also maybe. The bottom line is that all of the employees agreed to a wage when they signed on. There is (I assume) no guarantee that they will receive anything above that wage.  Anything above that agreed upon wage is a bonus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So they make too much?

I never said that, I was just pointing out the fact that in your scenario they are making more money for fewer cleanings; that’s all. 

I would NEVER say anyone makes too much. Everyone should grab as much as they can for as long as they can. 

• Like 2