🚢 SYMPHONY LIVE -12/16-12/24 🚢 She’s sort of like a song. 🚢

h20skibum

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from h20skibum! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

h20skibum was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

I debated if I should do a LIVE this time around, but I thought this might be good therapy, and a good place to post a few photos along the way.  No promises that I will keep up to date with things, but it will happen.  

This is our first time to sail Symphony, although we have sailed the other Oasis Class ships.  One advantage will be that we will have some new shows to see, some new artwork to see, and more importantly, some new bartenders to meet.

So let’s get started.

IMG_6506.jpeg.0911ad5dd8be67fd11ab6c92cde9365c.jpeg

Photo credit-Royal Caribbean Press kit.

And what is up with the title? She is sort of like a song!

The late, great, Marvin Gaye says it best.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Three days till cruise day.

IMG_9545.thumb.jpeg.8946cd8dd8e84237d6c7bccf2e7eb130.jpeg

I spent the last week finalizing our planning and packing.  This time of year for us takes some planning, because we are packing for a month.  

IMG_9548.thumb.jpeg.39d73d6bace4379a10f982ed52ad9542.jpeg

And, we are driving to the port for the first part of our trip.  Unlike some of those who live in Florida and drive to the port, our drive is a little longer.  It is a little over 1,200 miles.

IMG_6510.thumb.jpeg.441908b64aa4c5108d0db61da43c03bf.jpeg

Now, when I was younger, that drive would have been done in a day.  In fact, I was just talking with my neighbor, and they were getting ready to drive to Florida with their six kids, in one day.   I shudder to think of how many times they will hear “Are we there yet?” on that drive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

We make our drive over three days.  This gives us some time to explore areas along the way.  The planner in me has not only the route mapped, but our planned rest stops, lunch stops, and fuel stops.   With two of us driving, we try to limit each driver to two hours or less at a time. 

IMG_6521.thumb.jpeg.70344acf06b4bc2da8833e8232f6398a.jpeg

I know, planning even goes so far as to research gas prices at our planned stops.  Will see how close we stay to our schedule.

• Like 13

24 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Great to see this Mark.  I'm looking forward to seeing whatever it is that you choose to post.  What is your day 2 hotel?  Looks like it's close to me.

we are at the Residence Inn, Bob.  An easy on and off for us.  Sometimes we will stay in Georgia on the trip south. 

So, how are we doing, schedule wise.  

Left at 7:33 and made our first stop at 9:42.  

IMG_9549.thumb.jpeg.aa28094821c4a9fdc91f6dbbcd91c534.jpeg

Not too bad, considering we had to stop fora Starbucks and had to pick up Daryl. 

IMG_9551.thumb.jpeg.f557a61858638f680ea743c55d4109b6.jpeg

And we found our first roadkill in West Virginia. 

IMG_9550.thumb.jpeg.aac331759e5f3a9d6aa3675aadf5296e.jpeg

• Like 7

We also often drive to Florida for cruises or vacation, and I actually really enjoy the drive, it is part of the vacation and really gets us in the mood.  Of course that is as long as there is no snow.  We have also taken the auto train, and that is such a relaxing way to go.  Looking forward to following you.

• Like 2

Hope you have a good trip.  Can't imagine planning that much right down to the rest stops.... 🙂

Symphony is a beautiful ship, but we have two main memories from last winter - Elevators and Windjammer situations were HELL pretty much all day every day.......   Oh, and the sun decks.   First time I've ever seen them so crowded and chaotic on any ship so bad that people were literally laying on the floors....

That said the entertainment and restaurants were nice.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clochette said:

We also often drive to Florida for cruises or vacation, and I actually really enjoy the drive, it is part of the vacation and really gets us in the mood.  Of course that is as long as there is no snow.  We have also taken the auto train, and that is such a relaxing way to go.  Looking forward to following you.

We have made the driving trip to Florida many times, and we have explored several interesting places along the way.  I could almost drive it with my eyes closed.  But then I may end up like Clark Griswold. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

we are at the Residence Inn, Bob.  An easy on and off for us.  Sometimes we will stay in Georgia on the trip south. 

If you're familiar with that area, then you know that you have a wide variety of chain restaurant options for dinner a couple of minutes away on the other side of the highway.  If you're interested in seeing the ocean before you get to Fort Lauderdale and want to try something different from the chains, it's a 30-40 minute drive to Amelia Island.  I'm happy to suggest a few dinner places if interested.  I can see how another 30-40 minutes in the car might not be too appealing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Symphony is a beautiful ship, but we have two main memories from last winter - Elevators and Windjammer situations were HELL pretty much all day every day

Elevators will not be a problem for us.  The only time we will be in one is when we disembark with our suitcases. 

As for Windjammer, we may not see much of it either. 

That said, it looks like we will have a nearly full ship. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

If you're familiar with that area, then you know that you have a wide variety of chain restaurant options for dinner a couple of minutes away on the other side of the highway.  If you're interested in seeing the ocean before you get to Fort Lauderdale and want to try something different from the chains, it's a 30-40 minute drive to Amelia Island.  I'm happy to suggest a few dinner places if interested.  I can see how another 30-40 minutes in the car might not be too appealing.  

Yes, we are familiar with the restaurants in that area.  I think Susan already has a plan where to eat.  

Day 2 is usually a bear, depending on traffic on 26 and 95. By that time, we are ready to stop. 

Hey Mark!  Happy to see you decided to do a live!  I am sure you will enjoy Symphony.   Looking forward to following your journey.   We are debating driving to Miami for the Icon cruise but will probably stick to flying.   Who knows, this trip might encourage us. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Day 2 is usually a bear, depending on traffic on 26 and 95

I completely understand.  As you've heard me say before on Dani's thread (several times), that's my most hated stretch of interstate highways.  There's possibly light at the end of the tunnel though.  Seems like they're doing some clearing along parts of I-95 in SC.  Maybe they're planning to add another lane???  One can hope.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this Mark! You will like Symphony I know I did. Love the spreadsheet and admire your organizational skills. Will be interesting to see how much you end up deviating but looks like you are spot on. Have a great time and safe travels wished to you.

• Like 1

Our forecast here in south Fl is cloudy and rain, windy, with temps in the mid 70's for the rest of the week.

Did not see the sun at all today. Prediction for Saturday is steady rain, we will see if it is right.

Should get better for Sunday.  Good you are leaving next week . we have a cold front coming.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 1