HAL PCC question

Sea Hag

I'm pretty new to HAL, having done only one cruise so far. When I made my first booking, the system assigned me a CVP. Some time later, I contacted her through email, and she called me. One of the things she said on that call and on a subsequent call was that if I need something from her I should book an appointment with her through a link she provided. She would then call me at the appointment time. Is this how it works with all HAL CVPs? I'm not a fan of this, since I like to make arrangements via email. That gives both me and the other person a reference to check back on, rather than both of us relying on what we think the other one said. I explained that to her both times, and that doesn't seem to work for her. I appreciate the fact that she needs to structure her work, and this may actually be what they all do. But I don't like it. So, is this how they all manage things on HAL?

I would simply let her know you are more comfortable with written communications.  People often think they are doing you a favor by calling.  I like written, it is more thoughtful and gives me a written record.  My TA now knows I want bullet point lists, phone chat is for visiting but when it is time to talk money I want it written. 

• Like 3

If you don't work well with the PCC you got assigned to, you can insist on a change. I have worked with a number of PCCs over the years and none of them required an appointment for a consultation. I usually start with an email to my current PCC, who got saddled with me after I complained about her immediate predecessor; she typically asks me to suggest a time  when I'll be available to talk with her, and she calls me and has never missed such a prearranged rendezvous. And, yes, as Crystal said, she tells me that the call is being recorded.

There is no reason for you to feel reluctant to initiate a change. It's simply a matter of the two of you having incompatible communication styles. It's in HAL's interest to match you with someone you can build a long-term relationship with.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

@Sea Hag To request a new PCC, call the number you have for the PCC, but don't put in an extension. Listen to the menu until you get to the Live Person option. Ask for a supervisor. 

I hate the phone with a burning passion, if that is any comfort!

Good advice. Thanks!

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

Never heard of a CVP.  They have PCC - Personal Cruise Consultants.

I've cruised mostly with Princess, who has Cruise Vacation Planners (or some such or maybe PVPs for Princess Vacation Planners. They changed it at some point.). Probably most people knew what I meant.

Edited by Sea Hag
  • Like 3

I have to admit, I opened this thread to see if I could figure out what a CVP was, having never heard that acronym.  (Princess is PVP)

At any rate, the advice you have received from others is sound.  Personally, I have never had to make an appointment with my PCC but yours may be scheduling calls in order to try to bring chaos to order.  We all work to bring order in different ways.  Simply explain your preference and, if you’re not compatible, do as others have said and request a new PCC.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I have to admit, I opened this thread to see if I could figure out what a CVP was, having never heard that acronym.  (Princess is PVP)

At any rate, the advice you have received from others is sound.  Personally, I have never had to make an appointment with my PCC but yours may be scheduling calls in order to try to bring chaos to order.  We all work to bring order in different ways.  Simply explain your preference and, if you’re not compatible, do as others have said and request a new PCC.

I agree with you that the lady in question is simply trying to make things orderly. But I've explained to her nicely and fully twice why her method doesn't work for me. I think I'll ask for a different person. 🙂

I have the worst PCC in the history of cruising and don't use her except for the 1 cruise that still "belongs" to her. I haven't requested a new one because I don't have the name of a good one to ask for and if left to chance, I'm afraid I will get another bad one and don't have the patience to endure that nightmare. I have read far too many posts about bad ones and have only purchased losing lottery tickets, so I'm fairly certain which way the PCC pendulum will swing for me... I think the good ones that handle my part of the alphabet are probably at capacity 🧐

With that said, there are good (and I hear even great) PCCs and you can request to be switched; just call the number and ask for a supervisor as @crystalspin suggested. A good PCC will help you have a great experience and get you the best deals available. If you want to use one, as others have said, you should be able find one that fits your preferred communication style. Note that PCCs generally work days Mon-Fri.

Even w/o changing PCCs, you don't have to use the one you've been assigned to - you can just book yourself online or call in to Reservations and someone can help you. I have been doing that since getting assigned to my current PCC and none of my bookings have automatically been assigned to her, FWIW. And no, my PCC has not sent me a link to book an appointment w/her, but I am aware of that process; HAL may be using it now.

• Like 2

My current PCC , who was automatically assigned many months ago works 6:00am to 2:30 pm Mon to Fri.      I don't like being restricted to that timeframe for  planning my cruises, so I have never used her.    I simply call reservations and work with whoever answers.  I do the same for maintenance on my bookings.   

When I made my current booking with reservations a few months ago, i received an email two days later from the PCC thanking me for booking with her.  I assume they gave her credit for the booking.  Later , I phoned her and left a message for callback - no callback after two days.  So I emailed her with the question - two days later received a response.   I do not consider that acceptable service, so I called a supervisor to have her removed and told them I prefer to deal with reservations department or online going forward.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I have the worst PCC in the history of cruising and don't use her except for the 1 cruise that still "belongs" to her. I haven't requested a new one because I don't have the name of a good one to ask for and if left to chance, I'm afraid I will get another bad one and don't have the patience to endure that nightmare. I have read far too many posts about bad ones and have only purchased losing lottery tickets, so I'm fairly certain which way the PCC pendulum will swing for me... I think the good ones that handle my part of the alphabet are probably at capacity 🧐

With that said, there are good (and I hear even great) PCCs and you can request to be switched; just call the number and ask for a supervisor as @crystalspin suggested. A good PCC will help you have a great experience and get you the best deals available. If you want to use one, as others have said, you should be able find one that fits your preferred communication style.

Maybe it was a stroke of good luck, but the PCC I work with now is everything the one I complained about wasn't. It's as if the supervisor I talked with took note of my gripes and custom-tailored a replacement for me. Makes for tons of good will.

• Like 2

My PCC was assigned to me after my first cruise in Jan 2022.  She has been a godsend - looks for all the perks I deserve/qualify for.  She knew I could rarely talk during the day when I was working so most things were done via email or I would say "call me today at 12:30 Urgent) and she would.  She has now left Seattle to work from home as she as moved into her newly built house in Idaho.  She has a "reserve a spot for a phone call" button in her signature that I haven't used yet.  Bottom line - a combination of email and phone calls works the best for me and my PCC has been amiable to do that.

If yours doesn't find a new PCC.

• Like 1

I have used one good technique to convince some service person that you definitely must have email conversations. Simply tell the person (via email or text chat) that you cannot speak or hear. The only option then is email. It is a white lie in my case, but it could well be true. One service person who insisted on telephoning while we were on a textual chat basically went silent when I typed that line.

This trick works, and has the added benefit of raising awareness of the plight of disabled people.

I echo the points that others have made. Email is pretty much by definition a recorded and deliberate communication medium. Voice calling is for fun and banter and is taken as unofficial.

13 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

With that said, there are good (and I hear even great) PCCs and you can request to be switched; just call the number and ask for a supervisor as @crystalspin suggested. A good PCC will help you have a great experience and get you the best deals available. If you want to use one, as others have said, you should be able find one that fits your preferred communication style. Note that PCCs generally work days Mon-Fri.

Even w/o changing PCCs, you don't have to use the one you've been assigned to - you can just book yourself online or call in to Reservations and someone can help you. I have been doing that since getting assigned to my current PCC and none of my bookings have automatically been assigned to her, FWIW. And no, my PCC has not sent me a link to book an appointment w/her, but I am aware of that process; HAL may be using it now.

On your upcoming cruise,I suggest asking others you talk with for suggestions. It can be a great way to find a TA or PCC that would work best for you.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Good advice. Thanks!

As @crystalspinsaid, hold on, ask for a supervisor. Be prepared for the response that the person to whom you're talking will offer to take a message for a supervisor. That won't work. Just hold on, even if it's a long wait; it's worth it. After a couple of tries I finally got a supervisor who assigned a PCC that's very helpful.

• Like 3