14 types of people who should not cruise

ontheweb

Thanks for that. One of the things that I zeroed in on is the lack of 'diversity' with the food. We did two Hurtigruten cruises (Antarctica and Norwegian Coast). We got lots of local foods. And the Antarctica one would do dinners that featured previous explorers of the Antarctic.

• Like 1

Don't disagree with any of these reasons why someone should not cruise...

But like the discussion that is live about Misconceptions of cruising, I find that these are just reasons pulled together for a slightly sensational article.  But, as I said, I don't disagree with the reasons.

However, I can dispute many of them as not true and not reasons to not cruise.  The top one on my list is that you don't drink alcohol.  Why would that be a reason to not cruise?

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Don't disagree with any of these reasons why someone should not cruise...

But like the discussion that is live about Misconceptions of cruising, I find that these are just reasons pulled together for a slightly sensational article.  But, as I said, I don't disagree with the reasons.

However, I can dispute many of them as not true and not reasons to not cruise.  The top one on my list is that you don't drink alcohol.  Why would that be a reason to not cruise?

Yes, OP here we drink very little or no alcohol on our cruises and it has not been at all a reason not to take a cruise.

• Like 3

So based on this article the ideal cruiser is an overweight germaphobe with a drinking problem who is xenophobic, perpetually late, doesn’t care about the environment, imposes themselves on complete strangers and is willing to stand in line and over pay for the privilege. 

• Haha 6

Eh, I fit into a couple of those categories:  I'm borderline claustrophobic (the elevators bother me a bit, if they're crowded -- I just get in and hold my breath; unsure why I think that will help), I drink very little alcohol, I don't come home heavier, and I'm not particularly outgoing.  With the exception of boarding and disembarkation, I don't particularly stand in line a lot -- but I only cruise in the fall, which is low season.  

I just take issue with the negative environmental issues in reason 14. Nearly all of the newer cruise ships are very environmentally friendly and most of the older ones have had to undergo upgrades to make them more green. 

But IMO the real issue is with the implied scale of the problem. In fact there are approximately 119,000 commercial vessels in operation globally.  The number of cruise ships globally is just over 450. (Look it up). Whatever negative impact results from cruise ships IMO must be relatively microscopic compared to the potential impact from the sum total of the rest of the commercial vessels. Do the math. How green are they?  But that context never seems to be reported with any negative focus on the cruise industry.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, clo said:

Thanks for that. One of the things that I zeroed in on is the lack of 'diversity' with the food. We did two Hurtigruten cruises (Antarctica and Norwegian Coast). We got lots of local foods. And the Antarctica one would do dinners that featured previous explorers of the Antarctic.

Great to see you posting .I missed you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Woodstock:I am claustrophobic .I always lost weight on cruises and I do not drink alcohol due to medical issues

I cruised from 1973 to 2019; The best reason for me to cruise was meeting people ,making friends and having great conversations.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clo said:

I don't either. There are so many healthy choices it makes it easier. IMO.

My DW often loses weight on cruises. She definitely does not eat extra, and since she was an art teacher (now retired), our cruises were in the summer. And places in the summer can be very HOT!

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

My DW often loses weight on cruises. She definitely does not eat extra, and since she was an art teacher (now retired), our cruises were in the summer. And places in the summer can be very HOT!

Oh, and I'm not a dessert fan!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

Oh, and I'm not a dessert fan!

Neither is she. I don't think she ordered a single dessert on our cruise this past summer. She did take one taste of my wonderful hot fudge sundae the last dinner and had a taste of the anniversary cake we were provided on our wedding anniversary.

I violate 6 or 7 of these items.  I don’t drink, I lose weight on cruises taking advantage of the healthy fare available, I am not much of a crowd person and so on.  I really like cruising, it is my second favorite way to travel narrowly edged out by driving to National Parks.  

I agree with @cruisemom42, the list is a commentary on mass market, short cruises. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

I don't either. There are so many healthy choices it makes it easier. IMO.

I actually eat a lot more than normal on cruises.  I also get more exercise than normal.  So far it seems to have balanced out.       

• Like 2

I think claustrophobia and sea sickness could be valid depending on how severe.  If someone really dislikes crowds, then that would disqualify most cruise ships.   And of course we are doing the environment no favors by taking a cruise.   

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I actually eat a lot more than normal on cruises.  I also get more exercise than normal.  So far it seems to have balanced out.       

When I was cruising I was up every morning at 6 ,in the fitness center from 7 to 8 ,then a walk on various decks then MDR breakfast ,then more walks on the ship or on land if in a port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

And of course we are doing the environment no favors by taking a cruise.   

I know. And I do feel guilty. Every time I step on a plane or rarely a ship. We were in a waiting room the other day and they had multiple copies of our local newspaper, something I haven't had in MANY years. I miss it but even one thing helps.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

And of course we are doing the environment no favors by taking a cruise.   

6 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I just take issue with the negative environmental issues in reason 14. Nearly all of the newer cruise ships are very environmentally friendly and most of the older ones have had to undergo upgrades to make them more green. 

But IMO the real issue is with the implied scale of the problem. In fact there are approximately 119,000 commercial vessels in operation globally.  The number of cruise ships globally is just over 450. (Look it up). Whatever negative impact results from cruise ships IMO must be relatively microscopic compared to the potential impact from the sum total of the rest of the commercial vessels. Do the math. How green are they?  But that context never seems to be reported with any negative focus on the cruise industry.

Idubs - See my response above to that.  I do not believe cruise ships - in particular the newer ones - are harming the environment nearly as much as the 10's of 1,000's of commercial freighters, tankers, and other similar vessels on the high seas.  The math just doesn't support the environmental harm argument IMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Honestly, I don't completely disagree with the article. If anything, it reminds me how annoying people are. I've grown tired of trying to convince people to cruise because they have whatever unfounded fear or negative perception. 

I think some of the article points are valid - and I also think cruising is not for everyone some people deciding it is not for them are probably right.

I hasten to add that ocean cruising isnt really for me either - I will stick to river cruising - for some of the reasons listed in article: all inclusive appeals to me rather than add-ons,sea sickness,  I dont like huge crowds and long queues.