Can I bring a small sewing machine?

There are quilting cruises where quilters will bring along ‘featherweight’ machines to sew a quilt top.  When they travel with the machine it is a carryon and stored in the overhead bin.  The airlines usually request that the sewing needle is removed from the machine.  Enjoy your quilting if you decide to take a machine with you.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

It’s a TA - right? We’ve done several TAs on M and S class ships and they always have set aside the conference room space for crafts. I suspect the Activities staff would give you access to those rooms. 

that would be a good plan  & maybe post an invite for others to join.  Doing it in  your cabin might be a problem with noise for adjacent rooms..even if a quiet machine and elec issues 

• Like 1

Great idea!  Now I know how to occupy my time during sea days on my next cruise.  I'll bring my band saw and lathe and finally make some progress on those woodworking projects I have been putting off!  🤣

• Haha 8

on a TA there are always drop in crafting groups in the conference room . You would fit in here. You could check when onboard to see when the room is free. If your machine is loud it may interfere with conversation.  I can't remember windows though and won't be nice in a room without. I would bring the knitting.. 

Or go on a FB page for the cruise onboard now and ask questions. There are always folks will to take time in investigate. I quilt myself.

Lots of jokes about noise . Many machines are very quiet though .. not silent..but still enough of a sound to kill the background silence in a public area

45 minutes ago, alexandria said:

Great idea!  Now I know how to occupy my time during sea days on my next cruise.  I'll bring my band saw and lathe and finally make some progress on those woodworking projects I have been putting off!  🤣

This has got to be one of the funniest posts I have read!

Hilarious!!

Sewing machines are not quiet ,💥🎧  and when the operator makes a mistake, the air can turn very blue 🤬😁, stick to knitting on a cruise ,

we usually do yarn crawls in ports , as it takes to different location in the port city that can be off the beat path 😁

12 hours ago, doghog said:

I googled it. I must be living a sheltered life. 🤣 Glad we have the CC Wash n Fold laundry perks. 

We will be Elite after our next cruise( Edge, Feb 25 Great Barrier Reef).  I wish we were Elite on this cruise.  The laundry would come in handy.  Not schlepping my portable washing machine to Australia.  My next best solution is a dry bag( bought for 5 bucks),  Add water and some biodegradable laundry detergent and mash it around in the bag.  Rinse and hang dry.   

While in Sydney, I'll be looking for some Merino Wool t-****/tank tops.  They can go weeks without washing. They are antimicrobial. The best Merino wool comes from New Zealand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alexandria said:

You beat me to it!  🤙 I was going to suggest having an activity room where she can sew and I can bring my router, saber saw and wood.   But you must pass a field sobriety test before entering and using this equipment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alexandria said:

Are we allowed to remodel our cabin?  I am into home renovations ....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, gold1953 said:

on a TA there are always drop in crafting groups in the conference room . You would fit in here. You could check when onboard to see when the room is free. If your machine is loud it may interfere with conversation.  I can't remember windows though and won't be nice in a room without. I would bring the knitting.. 

Or go on a FB page for the cruise onboard now and ask questions. There are always folks will to take time in investigate. I quilt myself.

Lots of jokes about noise . Many machines are very quiet though .. not silent..but still enough of a sound to kill the background silence in a public area

I am in the group chat but hadn't asked this there as yet.  Will do.  I would be happy with a small conference or meeting room.  Hey maybe the chapel until someone wants it  They are always empty when I go by.  

1 hour ago, keesar said:

.   But you must pass a field sobriety test before entering and using this equipment.

Waaay off topic, but there is a local bar that features an ax throwing area. What could possibly go wrong?

You can't make this stuff up, here in Redneck Central Florida. 

Back on topic: I have seen one of those quilting cruises, which included machines. Just don't be tacky and take up a large area of the OVC like they did. 

28 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Waaay off topic, but there is a local bar that features an ax throwing area. What could possibly go wrong?

You can't make this stuff up, here in Redneck Central Florida. 

Back on topic: I have seen one of those quilting cruises, which included machines. Just don't be tacky and take up a large area of the OVC like they did. 

Our friend is part owner in one in Ontario , they don’t sell hard liquor, 🤣

https://warriorsaxethrowing.com

22 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

I'm hoping to find some public space where I won't pester anyone with the noise. Would not do this if I have to stay in cabin.   No fun in that.  hahah.    Where does your mom live.  Maybe she wants to be friends.  lol

20 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

This is where you’ll have a problem.  Where exactly do you intend to plug in?

I think it is a terrific idea to bring the quilting hobby onboard.   But all other things aside, @cruisetill you drop had it right.  There just won't be a place for you to set up in public areas.   

Even if that were not an issue, there will be a number of people who will take great exception to and complain about the whirring sound of a sewing machine. There will be much gnashing of teeth and numerous threads about ruined cruises.  🙂

Sorry to say, I think your idea to bring a sewing machine is doomed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think it is a terrific idea to bring the quilting hobby onboard.   But all other things aside, @cruisetill you drop had it right.  There just won't be a place for you to set up in public areas.   

Even if that were not an issue, there will be a number of people who will take great exception to and complain about the whirring sound of a sewing machine. There will be much gnashing of teeth and numerous threads about ruined cruises.  🙂

Sorry to say, I think your idea to bring a sewing machine is doomed.

you are probably right.   I've learned now from this group..... I'd blow up my vintage machine.  Accessible outlets in public areas may not exist.  I wouldn't mind a small meeting room and will still check this out...   Some people think they are funny and their answers have appreciable levity to them.  Others are rude and clearly underfed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

you are probably right.   I've learned now from this group..... I'd blow up my vintage machine.  Accessible outlets in public areas may not exist.  I wouldn't mind a small meeting room and will still check this out...   Some people think they are funny and their answers have appreciable levity to them.  Others are rude and clearly underfed.

Sometimes intended good natured comments come across as mockery.  Other times they are mockery.    

• Like 3

Within reason, do what makes you happy!

There was a cruiser on a recent Transatlantic who brought his full sized easel. He painted from various locations on the ship with palette in hand. 🧑‍🎨

• Like 2

This is an interesting thread, Beth and Bailey.  I don't have any advice since I am not a quilter, but I wonder since you are from Kentucky, if you have been to the quilting museum in Paduca?  I'm sure you have.  I thought it was amazing.

I used to take my cross stitch, hardanger and stumpwork (nothing to do with trees or bandsaws😂!) on cruises and found it enjoyable, so I hope you get a solution to your dilemma.

BTW, the Silhouette is a wonderful ship.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 2:01 PM, mayleeman said:

@Beth and Bailey I want to congratulate you on being the first original poster (better term would be thread initiator, please pardon the pun)  I have seen in my 5 years of reading CC to carefully come back and try to respond to all the comments that your inquiry has generated. Most people do not take the time or effort and often commenters are left wondering about a situation originally described as urgent or a crisis!

Please let us know what happens. Hopefully you will be able to sew this up favorably!

By the way, my experience in the Persian Garden Relaxation Lounge, with about 4 people snoring and sounding like a farm at feeding time, might indicate that in there you wouldn't even be noticed sewing away to your heart's content. But probably not a good idea.

ahhh..   I am enjoying (most) of the banter.  I do want to know what people think as even some of the less than cordial responses did offer things I'd not thought of. Hate to bother that chair hog snoring away (while he could be in his cabin if all he wanted to do was sleep) and allow a nice couple to enjoy a relaxing bit of sun.  Some machines are like a sweet kitten purring.   But then I'm sure these folks are allergic to cats.  lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TeaBag said:

This is an interesting thread, Beth and Bailey.  I don't have any advice since I am not a quilter, but I wonder since you are from Kentucky, if you have been to the quilting museum in Paduca?  I'm sure you have.  I thought it was amazing.

I used to take my cross stitch, hardanger and stumpwork (nothing to do with trees or bandsaws😂!) on cruises and found it enjoyable, so I hope you get a solution to your dilemma.

BTW, the Silhouette is a wonderful ship.

The quilt museum is amazing. Paducah is about 70 miles from me.  OH and Hancock Fabrics.  oooohhh weeee for a fabric addict!.  Thanks much.  First time on Celebrity, First TA..  Maybe making paper airplanes and tossing them from the upper decks?   Those are quiet.