New format test

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You mean that you are not thrilled to be given the opportunity to anonymously give a “thumbs up” to a post that virtually everyone has had the sense to just let pass?

Is that what I'm saying??? 🙂 I've not given a thumbs up to any of these and I don't even read them NOW. It used to be my fave. So I'm definitely letting it pass.

11 minutes ago, clo said:

Is that what I'm saying??? 🙂 I've not given a thumbs up to any of these and I don't even read them NOW. It used to be my fave. So I'm definitely letting it pass.

You have joined the overwhelming majority of posters in ignoring the chance to “like”.  My recent scan shows just two posts so far have been “liked” (one of them by me…. to see if it triggers a groundswell of activity).

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

You have joined the overwhelming majority of posters in ignoring the chance to “like”.  My recent scan shows just two posts so far have been “liked” (one of them by me…. to see if it triggers a groundswell of activity).

Okay. I get what you're saying now. But isn't this thread a groundswell?

I dont understand the new format actually, maybe because I dont really do social media much. So its not working for me.

Re the 'like' or other reactions feature, I dont post much but when I do I often get reactions, had two yesterday I think. However although it's nice for me to know that others are reading what I contribute, I am not sure that it helps anyone else.  If I m following a thread, I probably read all the posts whether or not they ve been 'liked' by other people. 

Just another data point. I normally read this forum daily and probably post answers to questions five or more times per week. This week (until today), every time I have come here I've left without posting -- well, without posting except to these threads about the new format. 😒

Too much "noise" to sort through with the new format. It just makes me go away and read other boards.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sleepingcat said:

Re the 'like' or other reactions feature, I dont post much but when I do I often get reactions, had two yesterday I think. However although it's nice for me to know that others are reading what I contribute, I am not sure that it helps anyone else.  If I m following a thread, I probably read all the posts whether or not they ve been 'liked' by other people. 

I sometimes post a "like" to agree with the info given in that post. It avoids similar repeats but gives the OP  the reassurance that others agree with the info or opinion given. 

I guess an up-vote (without moving the post) would achieve the same but as well as a "like" button there's also a "thanks" and a "haha" which I've occasionally given or received

JB 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just another data point. I normally read this forum daily and probably post answers to questions five or more times per week. This week (until today), every time I have come here I've left without posting -- well, without posting except to these threads about the new format. 😒

Too much "noise" to sort through with the new format. It just makes me go away and read other boards.

Ditto!

And to the Mods:

Guess what.... I *did* just "vote"!  I "liked" cruisemom42's post above.

AND when I did that, I did NOT scramble the order of the posts! 🙂 

As an aside, would someone PLEASE explain why the page numbers now appear BELOW the First Post on each subsequent page (not the first)?

It took me too long (my bad!!) to realize the page number hadn't just vanished, but were in hiding after the first post.  But whyyyyy?

OKAY IT IS FRIDAY.

Mods, *PLEASE* end this.

When the posts get SCRAMBLED, the entire thread logic vanishes.

Thank you.

GC

(both of us)

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 10:32 PM, JRG said:

Don't worry.  

My understanding is that this is only a test and will be over before the weekend.

GOOD!

It's Friday.... I'm waiting for this to be "over"!

Better hurry if it's to be over "before the weekend", but that would be such a relief.

If for no other reason, the SCRAMBLING of the posts should be the reason to end this.

If replies don't *quote* the previous comment, then the reply itself might have no meaning.

For example, the "Don't worry" above.

Just what was it that I or anyone might be "worrying about" anyway?

(I admit, this "loss of logic is less serious right here.  But if JRG had written instead something like, "Your post #X <blah, blah, blah - where the "blahs" are "real content">"... except the "real content won't make sense because no one can find *that* post #X, because all the posts have been scrambled.)

I'm hoping for a happy and more peaceful *weekend*.

Cheers!  🙂 

ETA:  Also, it's now virtually impossible to know what the "unread" posts are, or where that nice "line" was showing one had read "to this point" previously.

Oh, how useful that was, in retrospect.

Now?  MANY new posts will be totally overlooked, because they are now scattered about, and not at the "end" where they used to be... where the thread automatically took someone.

That was nice.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

But if JRG had written instead something like, "Your post #X <blah, blah, blah - where the "blahs" are "real content">"... except the "real content won't make sense because no one can find *that* post #X, because all the posts have been scrambled.)

deleted

Edited by JRG
deleted

I think the naysayers are getting ahead of themselves and are just being very loud because it's change.

Most people don't like change, and will complain about it the whole way about any lick of change. Doesn't mean you shouldn't stop changing though!

All it takes is some getting used to. In a few days you'll be more familiarized and it won't seem so alien anymore. In fact, after only a few days I am already used to this new format, eventhough initially I was taken aback and didn't know what to think.

You can also easily switch to the "old" format by selecting sort by date/time. Not that hard. Just some getting used to, as I said.

Some of y'all clearly just like to complain and are very vehemently against change though I see! 🤷

Edited by bg2310
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, bg2310 said:

You can also easily switch to the "old" format by selecting sort by date/time. Not that hard. Just some getting used to, as I said.

Some of y'all clearly just like to complain and are very vehemently against change though I see! 🤷

I had an open mind at the start but now I am against the change. To sort by date which many won’t notice you would have to do it every time you open the thread. When a thread is selected it does not go to the last unread. That is a dealbreaker for me. The way I read ongoing topics is to pick up where I left off. I guess you don’t mind a muddle but I do. So I have joined the vehemently against camp.  The posters who regularly answer questions are also against the change. Posters who have post counts of thousands. Many say they won’t answer any more if this format remains. You have 95 posts so sorry I have mentally downvoted your reply. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I had an open mind at the start but now I am against the change. To sort by date which many won’t notice you would have to do it every time you open the thread. When a thread is selected it does not go to the last unread. That is a dealbreaker for me. The way I read ongoing topics is to pick up where I left off. I guess you don’t mind a muddle but I do. So I have joined the vehemently against camp.  The posters who regularly answers questions are also against the change. Posters who have post counts of thousands. You have 95 posts so sorry I have mentally downvoted your reply. 

👎

There's my virtual down-vote back to you!

Lucky for you and the naysayers, this was a test, and the change only seemed to be for the "Ask a Cruise Question" sub-forum as opposed to the entire forum more broadly.

I don't personally see a problem with the new way for this subforum in particular, considering its topic. But, I guess since I don't have "post counts of thousands" then my peasant opinion doesn't matter!:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bg2310 said:

I don't personally see a problem with the new way for this subforum in particular, considering its topic. But, I guess since I don't have "post counts of thousands" then my peasant opinion doesn't matter!

Since the upvoting test seems to be voting on whose opinion matters the most then it makes sense in context that your opinion would matter less. 😀 My comment is in the spirit of the test. 🤣

Edited by Charles4515

Never fear -  Friday is here.  And this is supposed to be the end of the test.  But my guess is the new format will likely stay, because in the ultimate interpret-the-data-to-fit-our-expectations spin, the mods will likely look at the overwhelming negative responses on the two prevailing threads regarding this format and decide that since most people only review things they don't like, the actual sample size of the negative reviews was extremely small when compared to the total CC membership, and since only a few were against it, the rest by not responding must indeed like it, so because we want it anyway, and since we proved the majority must therefore like it, we are going to keep it, which is what we decided in the beginning anyway.  Why let the facts get in the way of an agenda?

Mods - Just trying to have a little fun, but please prove me wrong.........

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I posted this on the other thread regarding this new format but figured as Friday is almost over I'd post it here as well.

Never fear -  Friday is here.  And this is supposed to be the end of the test.  But my guess is the new format will likely stay, because in the ultimate interpret-the-data-to-fit-our-expectations spin, the mods will likely look at the overwhelming negative responses on the two prevailing threads regarding this format and decide that since most people only review things they don't like, the actual sample size of the negative reviews was extremely small when compared to the total CC membership, and since only a few were against it, the rest by not responding must indeed like it, so because we want it anyway, and since we proved the majority must therefore like it, we are going to keep it, which is what we decided in the beginning anyway.  Why let the facts get in the way of an agenda?

Mods - Just trying to have a little fun, but please prove me wrong.........

2 hours ago, bg2310 said:

I think the naysayers are getting ahead of themselves and are just being very loud because it's change.

Most people don't like change, and will complain about it the whole way about any lick of change. Doesn't mean you shouldn't stop changing though!

All it takes is some getting used to. In a few days you'll be more familiarized and it won't seem so alien anymore. In fact, after only a few days I am already used to this new format, even though initially I was taken aback and didn't know what to think.

I find this sort of attitude very annoying.

whenever people give negative feedback about a change some people's reaction is just to label them haters of change, complainers etc

It is an ad honinem  way of dismissing people's opinion and making it personal rather than addressing  content of what they said.

Edited by Kristelle
  • Like 3

It concerns me that the choice of "Sort by Votes" and "Sort by Date" automatically defaults to "Sort by Votes" every time.

Select "by date", then visit another forum. When you return to this forum, hey-presto its back on "by votes"

Methinks the mods may not be interested  in our comments.

JB 🙁

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bg2310 said:

I don't personally see a problem with the new way for this subforum in particular, considering its topic. But, I guess since I don't have "post counts of thousands" then my peasant opinion doesn't matter!:classic_biggrin:

Your modesty is becoming, but you failed to mention any positive aspect of the new format.  Can you mention ANY way in which the sub forum has been improved? If you cannot, I will have to agree that your “…opinion doesn’t matter”.