Dress code enforcement for dinner

Kastaka

29 minutes ago, Kastaka said:

It's a Fjords cruise - I do own some dresses, just nothing suitable for colder weather :). 

I just hope you're not putoff with some of the comments here nor should you think you're an outlier. A couple of years ago a frequent cruiser and Cruise Critic contributor who only sailed NCL had the exact same dilemma for her first Celebrity cruise. She ultimately bought a couple of new things for her cruise and she thoroughly enjoyed her first Celebrity cruise and has since sailed several times more on Celebrity.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

What would you expect? The only thing you “can’t” wear on Chic nights that you can on other nights is jeans that aren’t designer jeans, which is basically a distinction without a difference.

There is no rule about “no jeans” on chic night. Celebrity gives their recommendation for chic evening wear, but jeans are permitted every night as long as they are not the ripped style. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

There is no rule about “no jeans” on chic night. Celebrity gives their recommendation for chic evening wear, but jeans are permitted every night as long as they are not the ripped style. 

That’s why the ‘can’t’ was in quotes.

6 hours ago, Kastaka said:

I'm a bit worried about the smart casual requirements for dinner - as a tech worker my entire wardrobe is tshirts, hoodies and cords :). Do I need to go buy some nice tops or am I going to be okay? 

46 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I just hope you're not putoff with some of the comments here nor should you think you're an outlier. A couple of years ago a frequent cruiser and Cruise Critic contributor who only sailed NCL had the exact same dilemma for her first Celebrity cruise. She ultimately bought a couple of new things for her cruise and she thoroughly enjoyed her first Celebrity cruise and has since sailed several times more on Celebrity.  

This, I'm in the same position as you Kastaka I literally wear sports clothing every day and that's acceptable for work (and yes my office has a smart casual rule but I work in advertising sales/tech).

Sometimes comments on here can be really harsh for a simple question. I was almost put off my first cruise by someone that made comments about clothing (according to that person my clothes would never meet their standards).

I have some cheap dresses that I end up wearing just for dinner on the cruise just to meet the guidelines at dinner, I never wear them any other time now 🙃

I would just get if you don't already have anything a couple of cheap items that can be rotated/mixed for the dinner time. I don't see the point spending a lot of money if you are not going to wear it all the time.

• Thanks 1

I WFH full time now and don't bother wearing anything but sweats. What I've done for cruises is to buy BetaBrand pants. They call them Yoga dress pants, but they have all styles. They're as comfortable as leggings, but dress up nicely. Paired with camisoles and button up tops or cardigans, they made great day to night wear in Alaska last August.

They're so comfortable I wore them hiking through Denali and then wore them for dinner in the evening. Just a change of top and change out the hiking boots for a pair of black flats with some bling and instant chic!

I'm sure you'll be fine. The best thing to do for any cruise to a colder climate is to take layers. And the good thing about camisoles is they take up almost no room. A variety of colors under a black button down will serve you for multiple days.

• Like 1

Hello all, I just excitedly booked my first Celebrity cruise this morning and thought I'd browse the Celebrity boards to see what's up.  Good to see the boards are no different than the Royal Caribbean and Princess boards who we normally cruise with so I can feel right at home! (sarcasm) A good dress code debate to start my cruise research is always the way to go, maybe I can be lucky enough to find a tipping thread next! Happy cruising all!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Just off the Silhouette this past Sunday and only ate in Blu, it was interesting to see a more casual attire that seemed to get more casual as the cruise went. Quite a bit different than it was four years ago when we last cruised. But I don't mind at all, I don't think it's asking to much to wear a collard shirt with a decent pair of slacks. We saw a lot of people walking around in 'nicer' tennis shoes, I was glad to see that since I wore my new Sketchers because my plantar fasciitis has been acting up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oxo said:

Get the popcorn out!😁

These threads are always interesting. Jim took my response for what it was:) In my 20 cruises now I have never been bothered by the dining room staff about my attire. The reason I don't take a jacket anymore, is the first thing I did on our first cruise, along with many others, when we sat down to eat was to take it off. To me that is wasted luggage space and weight.

Interestingly some of the best service on a ship I have ever had was on the Xpedition last week and many of us were in shorts and a decent T shirt, because of the type of cruise it is. Luggage is also limited to 44 lbs per bag for this cruise.

Edited by cgolf1

2 minutes ago, Orator said:

No enforcement of rules on SIL. People wore shorts on every night including Chic night. This was for the just completed 10 day followed by 4 days cruise. 

We had guys in shorts and T-shirts on the Ascent in the MDRs NOT on embarkation day.

4 hours ago, Kastaka said:

Oops, it looks like this is more contentious than I was expecting! I'm female, by the way. I have some corporate polo shirts from a few companies ago, it sounds like they'll be okay?

Local thrift store might work for something nice to wear and reasonably priced 

4 hours ago, Kastaka said:

It's a Fjords cruise - I do own some dresses, just nothing suitable for colder weather :). 

I take it you're in the UK? (Just looked to see where you were sailing and they're all Southampton.) Just grab a jumper and cardigan at M&S when they close them out in a month and wear those instead of the hoodie. You'll be fine.

10 hours ago, Kastaka said:

as a tech worker my entire wardrobe is tshirts, hoodies and cords :).

As a software engineer for my entire career, I never owned a pair of cords. That was more for elementary school.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Cruise dress code topics will never cease and sometimes can be pretty eye opening. I was on NCL's flagship Viva in December after a 7 year hiatus from sailing with them and it was pretty eye opening what people will wear for dinner when there's no dress code. NCL has no dress code for any restaurant EXCEPT for their French restaurant, Le Bistro. I was pretty shocked to see guys going to the Specialty steakhouse, which mind you is a beautiful setting, literally as if they came directly from the main pool deck. Flip flops, board shorts, TANK TOP, floppy hat. That's how guys came to dinner. 

I call BS on this.  I am Sapphire on NCL and they never allow flip flops, tank tops etc. in the specialty restaurants unless it is the Sushi bar.  I will agree that NCL is the most lax when it comes to dress code but not what you describe. On Royal I wore shorts every night to the Dining room except formal nights, on Carnival I wore shorts every night except formal nights and even on Holland I could wear jeans to the dining room except on formal nights.  Celebrity is the only cruise line that I would never dare to wear shorts to the dining room.  With that said, the OP asked if t-shirts would be allowed.  My response:  if the Maitre D allows you in, you can wear whatever you want but if they refuse you, graciously change clothes and return.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only one month into the new year and this topic already. One of my resolutions is not getting sucked into participating in online dress code debates.  Oops, there goes that. 😬 

6 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Well I guess I am a slob with either darker dress pants or Khakis and either a polo shirt or a button down short sleeve shirt without a jacket. Thanks for judging and perhaps I shouldn't cruise anymore, 

7 hours ago, Mark_K said:

What would you expect? The only thing you “can’t” wear on Chic nights that you can on other nights is jeans that aren’t designer jeans, which is basically a distinction without a difference.

I see jeans every night in the main dining rooms.

Saks sells some expensive ripped designer jeans. You are correct that there is no difference. Don't ask, don't tell.

7 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

Go to Goodwill and stock up. No need to buy a bunch of expensive clothes you will not wear again. 

and when done, take the dirty clothes back to Goodwill and they will launder them for you. 🙂

56 minutes ago, prfctmrtini said:
7 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Well I guess I am a slob with either darker dress pants or Khakis and either a polo shirt or a button down short sleeve shirt without a jacket. Thanks for judging and perhaps I shouldn't cruise anymore, 

Ha ha, on my 3 Celebrity cruisers I fit right in with a majority of the men on the ships, so I am not worried. Ultimately I was in the dressier 50-60% of the diners in the main dining room. The above was posted as a joke, because that is not how a slob dresses. 

But, if you truly feel that way, Celebrity would not have many on their ships, and reading their definition for evening chic I am fine. I believe that there are a couple of lines that have stricter dress codes that you can sail that will meet your preferences.

18 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

One thing I notice on transatlantic cruise people follow Celebrity recommendations for dress code 

I think that's due to TA passengers being more experienced cruisers who may enjoy how the cruise experience used to be. 

• Like 3