Safety of posting exactly when you will be away on a cruise on CC

USN59-79

I am starting to wonder if it is a good idea to let the world know you will be away from your house for the period you will be cruising.  One of the trusted members of the Fleet Report and Daily stated that his home insurance policy required him to not mention that on any social media site.  I actually stopped my subscription to the local newspaper when I heard that a delivery person was notifying his friend the thief when customers notified him that they would be away.  I wonder how many CC members feel this way.

Ray

24 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I am starting to wonder if it is a good idea to let the world know you will be away from your house for the period you will be cruising.  One of the trusted members of the Fleet Report and Daily stated that his home insurance policy required him to not mention that on any social media site.  I actually stopped my subscription to the local newspaper when I heard that a delivery person was notifying his friend the thief when customers notified him that they would be away.  I wonder how many CC members feel this way.

Ray

That's part of the reason we switched to the online version of the Sun....we trust our mail carrier - she will extend our 30 hold if needed.

• Like 1

How would someone know my address from CC?  Like most people, my CC username is just a "handle".  How would an insurance company trace a theft back to CC?  Maybe there's something I'm missing.

I have the PO hold my mail, so anyone at the PO with access to that info could pass it along. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think we are fine. Not a fan of Facebook and the over sharing with the risks involved. Unless we have met up at a meet and greet, no one would even know my name. I wouldn’t give my full name to put on roll call m&g spreadsheets either as is sometimes done. Those are often accessible by anyone who has a cc account and log in.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

I feel the same way. That's why I don't announce when I'm going of how long.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, albingirl said:

I don't worry at all. Mostly because my neighbors are the most nosy people you'd ever meet. When I  am home it's annoying, but when I  am away, well, they are nosy. Lol.

Hopefully they're not on Cruise Critic... that could be embarrassing for you.

• Haha 1

I never thought about this. It is something now to think about. One reason I do not use any social media except for email and Cruise Critic. I live in a town house condo complex. I have three neighbors in my building (all are 4 plexes). We watch out for each other when traveling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

I live in a town house condo complex. I have three neighbors in my building (all are 4 plexes). We watch out for each other when traveling.

I'm in a similar living situation.  We've only had one theft, and that was when my neighbor was at work.  Someone broke into his storage shed and stole some tools.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not concerned about posting on this site. However, I always think twice before posting or commenting on my own Facebook feed or that of friends.

One of my good FB friends once posted on my feed about a trip I was planning to a city where some of my other FB friends were living. I was not going to contact those folks when in town, but had to change my plans when they found out via Facebook. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not concerned about posting on CC.  I don’t consider it a social media site in the same vein as others with everyone having a “handle”.  

I will NOT do it on FB nor join groups sailing there as those posts are public.

13 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I think we are fine. Not a fan of Facebook and the over sharing with the risks involved. Unless we have met up at a meet and greet, no one would even know my name. I wouldn’t give my full name to put on roll call m&g spreadsheets either as is sometimes done. Those are often accessible by anyone who has a cc account and log in.

I completely agree with you.  I do spread sheets quite often for the longer cruises where ports require serious planning.  I never list last names nor cabin numbers on it.  If I am just doing a M & G listing, it’s first names only.  No last names and no cabin numbers.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

I'm not concerned about posting on this site. However, I always think twice before posting or commenting on my own Facebook feed or that of friends.

One of my good FB friends once posted on my feed about a trip I was planning to a city where some of my other FB friends were living. I was not going to contact those folks when in town, but had to change my plans when they found out via Facebook. 

Awkward 😬 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am not concerned about posting on CC.  I don’t consider it a social media site in the same vein as others with everyone having a “handle”.  

I will NOT do it on FB nor join groups sailing there as those posts are public.

I completely agree with you.  I do spread sheets quite often for the longer cruises where ports require serious planning.  I never list last names nor cabin numbers on it.  If I am just doing a M & G listing, it’s first names only.  No last names and no cabin numbers.

Yes, I agree. I don’t really consider forums as social media.

I noticed you had cc handles only on our roll call spreadsheets. That’s how it should be done. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Yes, I agree. I don’t really consider forums as social media.

I noticed you had cc handles only on our roll call spreadsheets. That’s how it should be done. 

For the tours and activities yes - just the handles but I do have a Who’s Who page where I Iist people - their handles, first names, tours/activities they are leading, etc.  There are no last names and no room numbers.  

I have more than once cautioned CC roll call members about posting their full name on the roll call.  I’m not paranoid by any means but I do believe in a bit of caution and privacy.

• Like 2

As for home insurance, the person you mentioned lives in the UK. Our home insurance doesn’t have that rule. 
As for Facebook, only if a person is foolish enough to post “publicly” and not “friends only”. You can even limit further. It’s very easy but so many people don’t know that. 

I have never worried. We’re very careful about who knows we’re away, have caring and watchful neighbors and a fantastic home security system. 

• Like 3

OK, this is a pretty good sample.  Maybe I was being a little paranoid.  There are a lot of things to think about just before you leave for a cruise and this was one of them.  I should admit, over the last 25 years we have taken 45 cruises, many 60-70 days in length, and have never had a problem.  In fact, our next cruise is the only one I have bought cruise insurance coverage.  I also do not use Face Book or similar social media.

Ray

• Like 1

I’ve mentioned this several times on various roll calls. Some folks included their names, addresses and phone numbers for tours and such on their postings.

Not a good idea. Many of the spread sheets, with good intentions mind you, have full names & other contact information and, of course the roll call will give any potential thief the dates you will “not be home”.

Unlisted numbers, home security systems, good neighbors and such always help but a serious thief is going to figure out via the net your residence. So, as far as I’m concerned, keeping a minimal to none social media ‘footprint’ is a must. JMHO.

Enough said.

Be well & safe travels.

Bob

• Like 4

The one thing that does give us pause is when we take a taxi to the airport. We try not to engage the driver, and pay special attention not to mention the length of our holiday in our responses. If possible, we let slip that the house will be occupied while we are away.

• Like 3

I once travelled with a friend who refused to put any info on her luggage because she was afraid somebody at the airport would know she was away 

I hope she never loses her bags 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, CGinMTL said:

I once travelled with a friend who refused to put any info on her luggage because she was afraid somebody at the airport would know she was away 

I hope she never loses her bags 

Tell your friend to be sure to include full info inside her luggage. Each of our bags has two or occasionally three luggage tags.  The abbreviated version on the outside, the full version inside and if the luggage has a slide out - there also. 

• Like 2