Bahamas rears its ugly head

Ooops, and I forgot to mention the increase in Bahamian port tax. I guess somebodies got to pay the freight.  

Bahamas not doing much to police crappy excursion boats running to out islands. (Capsized vessel resulting in deaths recently) What a disgrace. 

Atlantis, about the only thing worth visiting on this hard rock shoal, but you can do Atlantis in a couple of hours. 

With the inconsistencies that is now coming out especially with the security videos isn’t even possible that Stella was getting her groove back and got scared.

Not like it never happened before.

Why are the initial reports taken as gospel? Should people wait for the whole story to come out before condemning the resort and the workers?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

No, it won't be.  Carnival isn't a US corporation

The passenger ticket contract specifies the venue in which claims against Carnival must be made. That is Miami. A foreign-domiciled corporation can still be sued in the US.

Not that I expect this case will go far.

I don't know if the victims could bring suit against the resort under Bahamian law, but the resort would probably have little defense against such a suit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tidecat said:

The passenger ticket contract specifies the venue in which claims against Carnival must be made. That is Miami. A foreign-domiciled corporation can still be sued in the US.

Not that I expect this case will go far.

I don't know if the victims could bring suit against the resort under Bahamian law, but the resort would probably have little defense against such a suit.

You missed the point.  

17 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Do we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are “victims”?

Maybe in the end, the accused are the true victims.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, bg2310 said:

It is therefore on them in this situation. They should have known better.

People need to stop throwing blame around and start taking some responsibility for their own decisions and actions. 

Really? We're blaming the sexual assault victims?  Were their swimsuits too provocative?  That must be their fault too.

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 8

Other than I read the victims were on a carnival ship, idk why carnival is even involved except it's bad publicity. They werent on a carnival sponsored excursion, they went off on their own. Things can happen bad anywhere. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Other than I read the victims were on a carnival ship, idk why carnival is even involved except it's bad publicity. They werent on a carnival sponsored excursion, they went off on their own. Things can happen bad anywhere. 

In one article I read the women claimed they were on a "Carnival shuttle."  I am sure - if this is in fact true- that opens Carnival up to some kind of responsibility.  I have never seen "outsiders" allowed on any kind of Carnival transportation.  I just hope the truth comes out - one way or another.  

22 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

I am purely speculating that there will be an out of court, go away, settlement. Or the publicity will go on and on and on.

Based on your speculation if a travel agent sold you tickets to Cuba and you were assaulted in Cuba then the travel agent would be liable? 

For all those who dont read the cruise contract...

12. INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, SHORE EXCURSIONS, AND OTHER SERVICES

(a) Guest acknowledges that all shore excursions/tours (whether conducted in the water, on land or by air), airline flights and ground transportation, as well as the ship’s physician, and on board concessions (including but not limited to, the gift shops, spa, beauty salon, fitness center, golf and art programs, video/snorkel concession) are either operated by or are independent contractors. Guest understands and accepts that Carnival may prohibit Guest from going ashore in any port of call, and/or or limit Guests going ashore to specific activities or excursions authorized by Carnival, for public health-related reasons in its sole discretion. Even though Carnival shall be entitled to collect a fee and earn a profit from the ticketing or sale of such services by such persons or entities, Carnival neither supervises nor controls their actions, nor makes any representation either expressed or implied as to their suitability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I read a story the other day about a "Tesla battery" that exploded in someone's house nearby a few weeks ago.

It was the 12V lead-acid battery that they brought in to charge, and they overcharged it.

Your lawnmower's 12V lead-acid battery will explode if you overcharge it. They made sure to point out it came out of a Tesla for clickbait.

Similarly, had the story just said two young women were roofied and assaulted in the Bahamas nobody would read it. But since they were there on a Carnival cruise, it gets clicks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

This resort IS a Carnival Excursion. They went privately (cheaper), but it is enough that Carnival will have to shell out some money. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with Carnival and I'm sure it WAS on every ships excursion list. Tag....Carnival is it! Had they booked through ship......holy hell!

It’s not Carnivals fault

18 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I have wondered the same thing!!!  The women reported that they got out of the ocean because they felt woozy, and then they passed out.  Did the men assault them there, drag them off when in a semi-conscious state, or drag them off to a hut after they passed out???  If this was in a place that Carnival shore excursions go to, you would think someone would have seen something.  Then again, from the video shown, the place looked deserted.

Did anyone notice that there is also a GoFund me set up for them?

Freaking money grab. Not Carnivals fault. Why on earth do they need a go fund me. Take responsibility for your actions. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, bg2310 said:

That's absolutely terrible and I hope the victims are okay. Unfortunately crime is a reality, which means we all must be vigilant. 

I just don't see how Carnival would or could be culpable here though. They are 2 adults who made the decision to go on a private excursion with no one else, and in a country like Bahamas where impoverished conditions are rampant and criminal/gang activity run afoot as a result. This should never have happened to those girls, but also they shouldn't have gone by themselves. It is therefore on them in this situation. They should have known better.

People need to stop throwing blame around and start taking some responsibility for their own decisions and actions. 

Victim shaming at its finest. So, two grown adults shouldn’t have booked day passes at a resort. Should women only travel with men? Should not travel to popular vacation destinations, should know better? I have 3 daughters in their 20’s, well traveled, who’ve been to the Dominican Republic and Mexico this past year. My son went to sandals Bahamas with his girlfriend, I guess that’s okay because he’s a guy. He also traveled to Colombia with his guy friends this year, more dangerous but they aren’t women.

• Like 5

This notification is in funtimes at every port.  This one was from Nassau in January.  While I am sure the women felt "safe" going to this resort, as CCL also had an excursion there - I do not know if Carnival has any responsibility in the terrible event that happened.

image.png.ce7b1961a2b1d363633e46483e93c503.png

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 1

This whole story just keeps getting more and more outlandish. So in the original story, the ladies said they felt woozy after sipping the second drink, they passed out, and woke up to being raped. They screamed and then ran for help. They said police refused to do a rape kit and took them back to the ship. Ok, very believable.  Can happen anywhere.  Only discrepancies is that they said it was Sunday, but it had to have been Friday, and the police claim that it was them that refused to go to the hospital.

Now we have a new story from the mom of one of the ladies.  She claims that she knew something was wrong from her daughters live video that she sent at 10am (strange cause if they were on Elation, it wasn't supposed to dock until noon...maybe they were on the Legend??).  Then she claims that she got a text from her daughter 2 hours later saying she was raped. This is where the 2 stories go crazy.  Mom claims that a housekeeper found them unconscious in a bathroom, and a nurse practitioner saved their lives...ladies claim they woke up during the rape and ran for help. Mom claims multiple drugs found in their system.  Now there is a go fund me account for them because apparently milk is $6 or something.

I don't know that much about drugs and how they move through your system, but I do know that they only had a total of 7 hours in port.  That 7 hours includes the time it took to get off the ship, travel to Taino beach (25 minutes or so one way), have a couple of drinks, film live videos, be assaulted, either wake up and run or be found unconscious, call police, wait for police, be recovered enough from the drugs that you are already capable enough to talk to the cops, describe your attacker, refuse hospital transport, and be back on the ship before sail away ( I haven't seen anything about the ship leaving late, so I'm guessing they would have had to have been back well before sail away fo the Bahamian officers to have had time to accompany them to the ships medical center)  Just seems like alot to happen in a short amount of time

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dragonclaw74 said:

This whole story just keeps getting more and more outlandish. So in the original story, the ladies said they felt woozy after sipping the second drink, they passed out, and woke up to being raped. They screamed and then ran for help. They said police refused to do a rape kit and took them back to the ship. Ok, very believable.  Can happen anywhere.  Only discrepancies is that they said it was Sunday, but it had to have been Friday, and the police claim that it was them that refused to go to the hospital.

Now we have a new story from the mom of one of the ladies.  She claims that she knew something was wrong from her daughters live video that she sent at 10am (strange cause if they were on Elation, it wasn't supposed to dock until noon...maybe they were on the Legend??).  Then she claims that she got a text from her daughter 2 hours later saying she was raped. This is where the 2 stories go crazy.  Mom claims that a housekeeper found them unconscious in a bathroom, and a nurse practitioner saved their lives...ladies claim they woke up during the rape and ran for help. Mom claims multiple drugs found in their system.  Now there is a go fund me account for them because apparently milk is $6 or something.

I don't know that much about drugs and how they move through your system, but I do know that they only had a total of 7 hours in port.  That 7 hours includes the time it took to get off the ship, travel to Taino beach (25 minutes or so one way), have a couple of drinks, film live videos, be assaulted, either wake up and run or be found unconscious, call police, wait for police, be recovered enough from the drugs that you are already capable enough to talk to the cops, describe your attacker, refuse hospital transport, and be back on the ship before sail away ( I haven't seen anything about the ship leaving late, so I'm guessing they would have had to have been back well before sail away fo the Bahamian officers to have had time to accompany them to the ships medical center)  Just seems like alot to happen in a short amount of time

yeah people setting up ***** accounts after something like this never helps their case. Makes it feel like a grift. 

• Like 4

As has been mentioned in various articles, onsite video is reportedly telling a different story, at least according to the resort. We also know that the two male employees have been terminated for violation of the 'no fraternization' policy. Something inappropriate happened. Exactly what? TBD.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jsglow said:

As has been mentioned in various articles, onsite video is reportedly telling a different story, at least according to the resort. We also know that the two male employees have been terminated for violation of the 'no fraternization' policy. Something inappropriate happened. Exactly what? TBD.

I wonder who remembers the promised video that would show the grandfather was not responsible for dropping the baby overboard? How it was impossible for him to know the window was open?  

• Like 4

I was on I think vista. Our roll call organised a private excursion to a private west end beach in roatan. A young lady, early 20s was offered a free massage and followed a guy into a bldg, out of sight of the others. Turned out to be grandson of owner. 

She ran out screaming because he touched her places he shouldnt have and the organizers put her in a taxi back to the ship. Accepting a free drink, free massage, walking out of sight of the group. She shouldnt have done that. Stay with the group. The fact it was a carnival cruise shouldnt have mattered. Sometimes victims make bad decisions though of course rape is never ok. Just saying also you need to be smart. Cautious.  

• Like 4

On 2/9/2024 at 1:23 PM, bg2310 said:

The US is not innocent nor free of this at all either, to your point. There is plenty of poverty and criminal as well as gang activity in cities all across the US.

Which is quite frankly why I don't understand the people in here clutching their pearls about not stepping foot in the Bahamas or some of these other places when the same things could happen in most cities in the US just as easily.

The difference is that if you're an american and something like this happens to you in the US, you aren't in a foreign country whose economy is almost entirely run by tourism, with a police force that is in cahoots with the local tourism businesses and just waiting for you to go back home and they will not press charges because they want to keep the crime statistics as low as possible. 

EDIT: Although I'm sure this exact same scenario can easily play out in the US, it greatly depends on where in the country it took place, and it isn't practically guaranteed to happen like in the bahamas.

Edited by CoasterGuy
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, CoasterGuy said:

The difference is that if you're an american and something like this happens to you in the US, you aren't in a foreign country whose economy is almost entirely run by tourism, with a police force that is in cahoots with the local tourism businesses and just waiting for you to go back home and they will not press charges because they want to keep the crime statistics as low as possible. 

Kind of misses the point.  All that police blather of yours is about something after the event(s).