Rooftop ?

Cruisegirl6

My brother in law says the steaks at the Rooftop are better than the Steakhouse.  Honestly, we never dined at the Rooftop and the Steakhouse was just ok, nothing great, therefore, we are thinking of giving Rooftop a try.

What are your experiences regarding rooftop?  We are leaving Aruba 11pm, would like as late as possible for dinner there, does anybody know how late we can dine at Rooftop.  We are spending the day at a major hotel in Aruba and will get back around9:30pm and like to know if we can show up by 10 pm for dinner there?

We liked the Rooftop steak better than Fine Cut on Beyond but that may just be our preference. You do need a reservation ahead of time though. I didn't think they took reservations that late but you should be able to check on the app.

• Like 2

We had a terrible experience with Roof Top Grill last September on the Apex. Not only was it windy and cold but our steaks and lamb chops were over cooked and tough. We much prefer the Fine Cuts steak house and only order the Prime Rib.

• Like 1

We had terrific experiences at Rooftop on Ascent in Dec and Feb and also on the Ascent in Jan. We don’t go there when the ship is sailing (unless we are just then leaving port) because it can get very windy. My App says it closes at 9:00 p.m. Their wings are a great starter. My DH loves the filet mignon and I have loved both the brisket and the ribs. And save room for the wonderful fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie ala mode for dessert!!

Edited by DingoMom
  • Like 1

My recent experience at Rooftop on the Apex was good, but....1) I personally wouldn't go there for steaks (didn't have one, I should add).  but we went there for the BBQ/comfort food that isn't available in other restaurants (except maybe OVC).  Brisket, ribs, corn on the cob, cornbread, etc.  That was all very good and fun to eat on a cruise. 2) That was the only restaurant in which the servers seemed harried and stressed. 3) it's definitely weather dependent...we caught it on a nice, breezy night and it was just fine.

• Like 1

Recently on the Ascent....worst steak on a cruise ship, the dry aged ribeye @ Fine Cut. Definitely not worth the $60 upcharge!!, although service was very good, just poor quality meat, and overcooked. We had a nice dinner @ Rooftop, again with a perfectly cooked ribeye, all around nice meal. I personally enjoyed Raw on 5 .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

My recent experience at Rooftop on the Apex was good, but....1) I personally wouldn't go there for steaks

Why?  They had an excellent Rib Eye.  😋

The filet I had at Rooftop Grill on Beyond was excellent, I believe they actually grill it, instead of the steakhouse broiler used in Fine Cut.   I have Rooftop booked twice on upcoming Beyond cruise.   My planner states its open from 5:30-9   So I would assume the last reservation for the evening would be 9pm

Edited by Tyler414
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, highway180 said:

Recently on the Ascent....worst steak on a cruise ship, the dry aged ribeye @ Fine Cut. Definitely not worth the $60 upcharge!!, although service was very good, just poor quality meat, and overcooked. We had a nice dinner @ Rooftop, again with a perfectly cooked ribeye, all around nice meal. I personally enjoyed Raw on 5 .

Dry aged beef needs to be cooked properly and the cruise ship restaurants usually do a poor job. The dry aging process removes much water from the beef so it is too easy to overcook.

• Like 1

Don't know about the steaks but we had a great time at the Rooftop Grill, far more enjoyable than Fine Cut (just an IMMENSE amount of mediocre food) and Eden for us.  My husband did love his steak.  It was a fun evening at a place that isn't pretentious at all, which is what Fine Cut seemed to be to us.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We had a terrible experience with Roof Top Grill last September on the Apex. Not only was it windy and cold but our steaks and lamb chops were over cooked and tough. We much prefer the Fine Cuts steak house and only order the Prime Rib.

May be a dumb question but do they not have heaters for cold evenings?  We have a reservation for Roof Top for our Alaska cruise. 

Just ate at Rooftop on Ascent last night.  We were at sea and it was windy and cold, but they handed out blankets to keep us warm.  My husband wore his winter jacket and he was comfortable.  It is the most casual of the specialty restaurants so you can wear what will keep you comfortable.  We enjoyed our meal, but I could see how some people might not enjoy the wind.  We didn’t have steak, but we agreed the overall meal was better than Fine Cut which we ate at the night before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

May be a dumb question but do they not have heaters for cold evenings?  We have a reservation for Roof Top for our Alaska cruise. 

Not that I remember, but they did have blankets if requested. We were not impressed with both the food and service. 

22 hours ago, terrydtx said:

16 hours ago, highway180 said:

Did you ask them to replace the improperly cooked steak?  Unless you ordered medium, or worse, most decent restaurants will do that.

2 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Did you ask them to replace the improperly cooked steak?  Unless you ordered medium, or worse, most decent restaurants will do that.

My wife asked for her lamb chops to be replaced with ones medium rare as ordered. However, the replacements where so full of fat and gristle that they were even more inedible. We then complained to the manager and he offered to comp us another night for diner, our response was no thank you, we do not want to waste another night in the grill. 

16 hours ago, highway180 said:

On the Edge last month, we ate once in Fine Cuts because we wanted a good prime rib, something not available any night in Luminae. The Prime rib was as good as any land restaurant, but not worth the cost, we had plenty of OBC to burn which is why we went. Compared to the terrible quality of steaks served in Luminae on the Apex last September, the steaks we had in Luminae on the Edge were excellent.

Edited by terrydtx

29 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

My wife was tired and not feeling great and at that point we were done. I always order my steaks medium rare to  rare. I had made mention to it on the way out and had zero response.  They did call me the next few days trying to get me to come back for a free dinner, but I politely refused.