OMG - I don't get my Sept 15 birthday on our cruise - crossing the international date line

OlsSalt

Great suggestion. DH just reported he won't have to get me a birthday present. I'll tell him now I am supposed to get two of them.  🎂🎂 

Does this mean two gorgeous chocolate cakes at the Pinnacle now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At our age I start my September birthday celebration sometime in early January or whenever I see something that would be a great birthday present or whenever I see a cake with the appropriate amount of icing.  Happy Birthday to us!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I had two birthdays in a row on a South Pacific cruise.  It was Saturday and I have photos of me standing on the day of the week mat in the elevator both days.  The first night the Pinnacle Grill staff gave me a cake and sang happy birthday.  The next night the MDR waiters gave me another cake (different kind) and sang to me, too.  I enjoyed it so much, but not when I told my twin sister I was now officially one year older than she was.👵

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We missed a wedding anniversary once crossing the Date Line - made our eldest illegitimate! 😁

We’ll be on the Royal Princess crossing the date line on our 35th anniversary this year. We’re heading east so we’ll have 2 days to celebrate! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This brought back memories! One year we were cruising from LA to Japan on the Sapphire Princess and my husband's birthday was skipped as we crossed the date line. We had a fantastic cruise director and she organized a "non-birthday party" for my husband and another guest with the same birthday--huge party with all passengers invited in the atrium with cakes, balloons from the upper decks, music, and champagne for the birthday guys. They videoed it all and gave us a copy of the CD. My husband said it was the biggest party he'd ever had.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, 40yearcruiser said:

We had a fantastic cruise director and she organized a "non-birthday party" for my husband

A very merry unbirthday
To me?
To you
A very merry unbirthday
For me?
For you
Now blow the candle out, my dear
And make your wish come true
A very merry unbirthday to you

Songwriters: Mack David / Jerry Livingston / Al Hoffman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Curiously the Koningsdam crossed the line on February 29 and there was no February 29 onboard. Those folks will need to wait another 4 years to have a birthday😥

• Haha 3

On 2/21/2024 at 12:11 AM, stobe1 said:

Imagine how people feel that have birthdays on February 29.

My sister-in-law is in that boat. Just had her 13th birthday even though she's in her 50s.

• Like 1

I can't imagine losing the whole birthday. One year I lost an hour of my birthday because of daylight saving time and carried on (though I was just fooling around) that DW told me to knock it off or else.

I once worked at a place where about half of us shared the same birth year, and we were cross-trained to staff another adjacent facility. Our day shift supervisor was an excellent baker and she would bring in a cake for one’s birthday and we would celebrate at shift change. 
One afternoon she saw “C.B. Birthday” written on the staff calendar and was a bit stressed that she had forgotten a staff member’s BD the following day, and was hurriedly made plans to surprise that staff the next day. 

The following day at shift change we all gathered and sang “Happy Birthday” to our CB, who was really surprised- it wasn’t HER birthday, but it turned out to be CB assigned to the other facility. 
So we razed her about being a year older than the rest of us. And we would occasionally randomly add candles to a cake someone brought in to share, call her in and again sing “Happy Birthday” to her. (I think we added about 5 years to her age.)

😇

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

The great unanswered question for anyone who might miss their 64th B-Day on a HAL cruise:

One of my younger brothers and his wife make cards. For my 64th birthday they made me a card with my head at different ages transposed on each of the Beatles. I still have that card over a decade later. 😊😊

Edited by ontheweb
spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1