The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 21st, 2024

kazu

Good morning, Dailyites, the ABC's of science fiction (which I grew up on), Asimov, Bradbury and Clarke - who knew he was so astute!  I think the only time I've told the truth about the bathroom scale is once as a teenager when we were flying "over the pole" and they made you stand on a scale before boarding!

Just had word from HAL today that our NS transatlantic itinerary has changed - Brest is cancelled, and Cobh is added in.  Pat is thrilled and will take his Irish passport, we hope to meet up with @VMax1700!   

We were in Penang 10 years ago - actually February 19, 2014, so almost exactly.  My main memory of that Asian cruise on Volendam was the heat, which I don't love.  I was not inspired to return.   We just walked around on our own that day, so I have no idea what we saw, a lot of religious shrines, and there was a "village" built on stilts over the water in the port.

Even the cat was wiped out!

P1050796.thumb.JPG.2d35e6fa5771d6579682c1057d516488.JPG

The monk was busy on his cellphone

P1050788.thumb.JPG.08c493a3607746dc05a8436fe1faf9a7.JPG

P1060970.thumb.JPG.67dfcbebc2c683785340011f9d68b522.JPG

P1050773.thumb.JPG.d78e71b64ecd7eea2f26427a8b06230f.JPG

P1060955.thumb.jpg.3ab017b1567fb1c9770b2e6d07b1a667.jpg

P1060954.thumb.JPG.0e5e8cc4bbfe081644f3efb4ab165c76.JPG

Fort CornwallisP1050738.thumb.JPG.8a4fe72782e589641f244781255adc7f.JPG

The houses built over the water

P1050820.thumb.JPG.ce3d81d792f40191c42ec40b509b9d29.JPG

P1060585.thumb.JPG.d5bd80c5ad58e49ebf192f268e21900d.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good news, finally!  The HVAC techs came and checked things out.  They feel our unit has plenty of life left in it.  We will have them come out in April to do a spring maintenance and then again in the fall, and he can monitor things.  Not even a charge for today's visit!  We trust this company so much more than the one who came out before.  Looks like I can keep my cruise booking savings for myself!👍

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good news, finally!  The HVAC techs came and checked things out.  They feel our unit has plenty of life left in it.  We will have them come out in April to do a spring maintenance and then again in the fall, and he can monitor things.  Not even a charge for today's visit!  We trust this company so much more than the one who came out before.  Looks like I can keep my cruise booking savings for myself!👍

I'm delighted for you both Sandi.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The predicted, but not really expected rain did not materialize today.  It's been alternating between cloudy and sunny.  There are heavy clouds to the north, but our rain chances are slim to none now.  I am slowly working my way through all the mail and stuff that accumulated while we were on our cruise.  By the time I finish, I'll need another cruise.  😁  We made a quick trip into town to get the things I forgot or didn't know we needed Monday.  I mainly went to get meat to make meatloaf for dinner along with scalloped potatoes.  Since it is cool today with a pretty cool wind, it seemed like a good day to use the oven.

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, the ABC's of science fiction (which I grew up on), Asimov, Bradbury and Clarke - who knew he was so astute!  I think the only time I've told the truth about the bathroom scale is once as a teenager when we were flying "over the pole" and they made you stand on a scale before boarding!

Just had word from HAL today that our NS transatlantic itinerary has changed - Brest is cancelled, and Cobh is added in.  Pat is thrilled and will take his Irish passport, we hope to meet up with @VMax1700!   

We were in Penang 10 years ago - actually February 19, 2014, so almost exactly.  My main memory of that Asian cruise on Volendam was the heat, which I don't love.  I was not inspired to return.   We just walked around on our own that day, so I have no idea what we saw, a lot of religious shrines, and there was a "village" built on stilts over the water in the port.

Ann, thanks for the pictures of Penang.  Those houses over the water don't look very stable.  We have enjoyed both Cobh and Brest, but I would also prefer Cobh.  I know Pat will have a great time.

57 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, that is good news about the HVAC system.  

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Well, the plumber got the toilet fixed, but it was only because my DDDH had stockpiled lots of toilet parts in the basement! The toilet is 40 years old & the plumber didn't have anything in his truck that would work. So we went down to the basement and, sure enough, there was the necessary piece! Still had to pay the labor charge, though...oh well! DH is still taking care of me!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Nice photos Ann.

Having been to both Brest and Cobh I preferred Cobh and I'm happy for Pat with his Irish ancestry.

• Like 7

@JazzyV I've got my fingers, legs, toes & eyes crossed that your procedure tomorrow brings you some, if not complete, relief from the pain & discomfort you've been enduring for so long...🙏 🙏.

Edited by 57redbird
typo
  • Like 14

2 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

@JazzyV I've got my fingers, legs, toes & eyes crossed that your procedure tomorrow brings you some, if not complete, relieft from the pain & discomfort you've been enduring for so long...🙏 🙏.

+1 @JazzyV Vanessa.

You do a wonderful job on the daily and deserve to be pain free.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am so thrilled about your HVAC as we had the same problem you did at the same time.  I hope that means good news for us as well!

@JazzyV Healing thoughts and warm wishes sent your way for a successful procedure tomorrow and effective pain relief. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser be careful opening your mail.  That is what led to my lovely afternoon yesterday.  None of that stuff is resolved, but I took today off.  

@Sharon in AZ I'm glad Craig is feeling better.  I felt so bad for him at the end of the cruise.  Sue and I really enjoyed our time together and all the laughs we had.  

@summer slope Missing seeing you around the ship and our fun conversations.  We have to do it again!  I think today's drink would have been a good one to sample with the Daily 4.  

Our heavy rain turned out to be sunshine and 60F.  The snow is almost all melted and is just in heavy shade areas.  It would be nice if that was the end of it for the season but it is way to early for that to be likely.  

• Like 16

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I'm delighted for you both Sandi.

Thank you Graham.  We appreciate it.

48 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The predicted, but not really expected rain did not materialize today.  It's been alternating between cloudy and sunny.  There are heavy clouds to the north, but our rain chances are slim to none now.  I am slowly working my way through all the mail and stuff that accumulated while we were on our cruise.  By the time I finish, I'll need another cruise.  😁  We made a quick trip into town to get the things I forgot or didn't know we needed Monday.  I mainly went to get meat to make meatloaf for dinner along with scalloped potatoes.  Since it is cool today with a pretty cool wind, it seemed like a good day to use the oven.

Ann, thanks for the pictures of Penang.  Those houses over the water don't look very stable.  We have enjoyed both Cobh and Brest, but I would also prefer Cobh.  I know Pat will have a great time.

Sandi, that is good news about the HVAC system.  

Lenda

Thanks Lenda.  Very good news I agree also about the house over the water in Ann's @Vict0riann's photo - that porch looks very precarious.  Sheesh!

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

I am so thrilled about your HVAC as we had the same problem you did at the same time.  I hope that means good news for us as well!

@JazzyV Healing thoughts and warm wishes sent your way for a successful procedure tomorrow and effective pain relief. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser be careful opening your mail.  That is what led to my lovely afternoon yesterday.  None of that stuff is resolved, but I took today off.  

@Sharon in AZ I'm glad Craig is feeling better.  I felt so bad for him at the end of the cruise.  Sue and I really enjoyed our time together and all the laughs we had.  

@summer slope Missing seeing you around the ship and our fun conversations.  We have to do it again!  I think today's drink would have been a good one to sample with the Daily 4.  

Our heavy rain turned out to be sunshine and 60F.  The snow is almost all melted and is just in heavy shade areas.  It would be nice if that was the end of it for the season but it is way to early for that to be likely.  

I hope your HVAC issue works out like ours did.  I think some businesses try to make money on jobs that don't necessarily need doing - yet!

I remember snow sitting on the lawns until nearly May when we lived in Midland in the '70's.  Of course we got tons of snow that decade.  The piles stacked up alongside our driveway were over my head!  It was dangerous to back out into the street because you couldn't see the cars coming by.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We will be waiting for you!

It will be strange seeing Nieuw Statendam in Cobh, knowing that 4 days later we will board her in Rotterdam 😃  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Glad you received good news on your HVAC and found a company you can trust.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Great news, Sandi 👍 

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

Well, the plumber got the toilet fixed, but it was only because my DDDH had stockpiled lots of toilet parts in the basement! The toilet is 40 years old & the plumber didn't have anything in his truck that would work. So we went down to the basement and, sure enough, there was the necessary piece! Still had to pay the labor charge, though...oh well! DH is still taking care of me!

Great news, Edi 👍. I have been trying to get rid of all the stuff that DD DH kept “because we might need it some day” but there are few key things I too am saving.  I’m glad your DH’s saving of parts saved you.  It is like he is taking care of you, indeed ♥️ 

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

How wonderful Ann 👍. I would far rather return to Cobh than Brest and meeting up with @VMax1700 is a huge bonus.  I am sure you will have a fabulous time in lovely Cobh with great company 👍 

Vanessa @JazzyV my very best wishes for your procedure tomorrow.  May it be super successful and release you of the pain you have been suffering from 🙏 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Debbie, the mail has been opened so I'm safe for now.  Mainly it was the last of the forms we needed for our taxes.  Tomorrow, I'll get to them.  🙄

Thanks Lenda.  Very good news I agree also about the house over the water in Ann's @Vict0riann's photo - that porch looks very precarious.  Sheesh!

Sandi, if you look closely at the picture, the houses are also on the same "pilings".  I don't think I could sleep at night in such a house.

Lenda

• Like 10

I hope your HVAC issue works out like ours did.  I think some businesses try to make money on jobs that don't necessarily need doing - yet!

Me, too.  I'm hoping when I turn the air on this summer it just works!

I remember snow sitting on the lawns until nearly May when we lived in Midland in the '70's.  Of course we got tons of snow that decade.  The piles stacked up alongside our driveway were over my head!  It was dangerous to back out into the street because you couldn't see the cars coming by.

I remember that, too!  It also started earlier in the fall.  We often had snow for Hallowe'en.  

• Like 10

Good evening from the Gulf of Mexico.  

@JazzyV praying all goes great on your procedure tomorrow.  

@marshhawk I hope things will go well for Chuck. 

@seagarsmoker glad your new position is going well! 

@StLouisCruisers after replacing our double oven we know what you were going through, a major job.  

We had a great cooking class shore excursion today.  There were only 6 of us from the Eurodam but 38 others from the Icon and a German group. The HIA beach resort was very nice and they had probably 20 two burner stations for us to spread out to cook. Caramelized plantains with fudge sauce, tilapia and veggies steamed in foil, shrimp in tomato sauce in sopapillas that we made from tortilla dough. It was a wonderful time. The cocktails started flowing at 10am.  I paced myself well. 

IMG_20240221_110145575.jpg

IMG_20240221_095729182.jpg

IMG_20240221_095936476.jpg

IMG_20240221_100347131.jpg

IMG_20240221_104718695.jpg

IMG_20240221_115232154.jpg

IMG_20240221_103032634.jpg

IMG_20240221_124346662_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240221_112851778.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

@JazzyV Good luck tomorrow and I hope this procedure resolves your pain.

@marshhawk I hope everything is okay with you and your DH please just a short post to let us know.

@StLouisCruisers glad that you get to spend your $$ on a cruise vs HVAC system.  Always a more enjoyable way to spend hard earned money.

I have been 'under the weather' for almost 2 + weeks now. I had the dreaded Covid come back though technically I know it is just the inflammation stage after you end the Paxlovid. Last week I felt better on Wednesday and into Thursday and Thursday night I got socked again - total congestion and fever which I had pretty much all day Friday and Saturday and Sunday I was just wiped out.  Yesterday I finally felt a bit better and today I managed to do a very small walk, I still had to take a nap in the afternoon or I would be asleep now.  I still tested positive on Monday though I know not to test anymore since I can show positive for weeks.  I haven't seen my mother yet because I was still sneezing etc but hopefully I will get there this weekend.  I did manage to work all last week and this week - the benefits of working remotely.  If I had to go into an office I would never have been able to do it.  

My big day was going to the supermarket and library wearing an N95 mask.  I haven't seen good friends who are visiting or done any other activities. I am hoping by the end of the week I will feel less tired and able to get out and about.  

I do enjoy reading the daily - it keeps me sane to see all the wonderful travels.  I especially enjoy @aliaschief pictures. Please keep them coming.  Your trip looks absolutely fabulous and your pictures are great.  It brings back memories of our long ago trip to New Zealand and I would move there if I was younger. 

Happy sailing to all and @dfish  I hope you get your issues resolved. I am doing this on a daily basis for my mother and I am ready to tear my hair out when I have to deal with all these types of calls and have to then get my mother on the phone - who at this point has no understanding as to what is going on - and hardly can follow my prompts.  Please don't ask about providing them all with a POA it would make it even worse than it is now.   

• Like 14

Just now, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is currently 44°F and cloudy with rain a possibility soon.

I hope everyone is well.

Graham good morning to you. Just setting our clocks behind an hour on this Thursday evening. Headed into a low pressure system on our way to Holbart, Australia. Very rough seas ahead and by Sunday possible 6 meter seas aka 20 feet per Captain. Beautiful day in Milford Sound.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aliaschief said:

Graham good morning to you. Just setting our clocks behind an hour on this Thursday evening. Headed into a low pressure system on our way to Holbart, Australia. Very rough seas ahead and by Sunday possible 6 meter seas aka 20 feet per Captain. Beautiful day in Milford Sound.

Great photos Bruce from New Zealand.

It is 09.00am here in England.

I hope the seas are not as rough as forecast on your way to Holbart Australia.

Pauline's cousin lives in Adelaide Australia and just booked a 7 day cruise yesterday from Adelaide to Kangaroo island, Tasmania and Melbourne.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 6

Just now, grapau27 said:

Great photos Bruce from New Zealand.

It is 09.00am here in England.

I hope the seas are not as rough as forecast on your way to Holbart Australia.

Pauline's cousin lives in Adelaide Australia and just booked a 7 day cruise yesterday from Adelaide to Kangaroo island, Tasmania and Melbourne.

Best wishes.

Graham.

Just going to bed at 10.00 PM Thursday (soon to be nine PM and as Captain stated ocean is starting to to pick up. It’s part of a long voyage.

• Like 8