The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 26th, 2024

kazu

Just awakening after our overnight stay in

Melbourne. Stayed at airport Holiday Inn and nice facility and service. Food was hotel chain but not bad.

It’s shower, breakfast and shuttle to airport for flight to Uluru. Tonight we have a BBQ under the stars excursion.

Thanks for the report. Rich and I came close to crossing paths yesterday as they were in Melbourne. Today they are in Hobart. Have a great week. Bruce

• Like 20

Honey, Im home....!!!  We stopped on the way home from lunch and saw 5 AT & T trucks, chuck asked them when they would be done, and they were done!  Putting the door on the , ready to go.  While he is in front of the tv with his F1 news, I am off to work for the first time in 12 days.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
A few pictures from when we were on the  Zaandam in 2015 on our way to Antarctica 

Entering the Channel just crossing the border between Chile and Argentina 

image.thumb.jpeg.a01510006e46ecc9b139724b588ece2b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7e1531d4703a70e53a5ae421f1a82a43.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6922e804718e46ab27a50c17aba829ed.jpeg

Sundown before we reach Ushuaia

image.thumb.jpeg.a7d0b92891514ce1c0c7b9002a66043d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3eb073ba402f7bd8ae51826cb2ba3c3b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0ccf02980e91503e31ed882fde28dc8e.jpeg

Back on board the Zaandam after a wonderful tour in Ushaia ( that’s for another time ) 
and on our way towards Cape Horn through the channel .

image.thumb.jpeg.d5c1429b559cf8edf060d1694c971f93.jpeg

From one of my favourite graphic artists Maurits C Escher 

image.thumb.jpeg.f2d9eefea1de0190abdf6ca590b65dac.jpeg

Promoting the Indonesian crew show that evening  ( We are really missing that feature ! ) 
image.thumb.jpeg.cdc4a31f4c1578b1e231b664bfabb3d7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.81045c67b746da814587b04d2df80947.jpeg

Tony 😍

Thanks for the pictures, Tony.

5 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Just awakening after our overnight stay in

Melbourne. Stayed at airport Holiday Inn and nice facility and service. Food was hotel chain but not bad.

It’s shower, breakfast and shuttle to airport for flight to Uluru. Tonight we have a BBQ under the stars excursion.

Thanks for the report. Rich and I came close to crossing paths yesterday as they were in Melbourne. Today they are in Hobart. Have a great week. Bruce

@aliaschief  Bruce, have a safe flight, and enjoy your time at Ayers Rock.

2 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Honey, Im home....!!!  We stopped on the way home from lunch and saw 5 AT & T trucks, chuck asked them when they would be done, and they were done!  Putting the door on the , ready to go.  While he is in front of the tv with his F1 news, I am off to work for the first time in 12 days.

Welcome back, Annie.  I can't believe it too so long to get everything fixed.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Annie @marshhawk I'm so happy to hear they finally got the repair done.  I too can't believe in this day and age it took them this long to get out there.  I hope your boss wasn't too upset with you since it wasn't your fault you were away from the job that long.  Good luck with the sales!

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We sailed the Beagle Channel twice.  The first time was in 1999 on Noordam III in the pre-digital age.  This was the last trip around the Horn for that year, and when we reached Cape Horn, the seas were so calm they were almost glassy.  The crew could not believe how calm it was, since all the other times that season, it was very rough at Cape Horn.

Our second time through the Beagle Channel was in 2015 on Ruby Princess.  That year, the seas were very rough from the Falklands to the channel.  We were supposed to sail around Cape Horn, but due to the rough seas, the Captain kept the ship behind Cape Horn and in the calmest water he could find.

These are just a few of the pictures of the Beagle Channel.  When we were in Ushuaia in 2015, we did a tour to Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego and to the end of the Pan American Highway.  At that point, it was Highway 3 from Buenos Aires,  The last few miles of the highway are not even paved.

First, @StLouisCruisers posted a picture of the monument at Cape Horn.  This is the lighthouse, and the keeper's house on Cape Horn.

DSC02705.thumb.JPG.0e423c117098cf4ea5f6cee7e324a73a.JPG

Looking up the Beagle Channel from our aft balcony.

DSC02707.thumb.JPG.e6cf84d6d19a45eec79f15dc86e36d9c.JPG

The next ones are at the end of the road.

DSC02744.thumb.JPG.0e099eea365c78d65b392e68b2135ec9.JPG

DSC02756.thumb.JPG.499ed79280de4eb80ec51c64e431c331.JPG

Looking from the end of the road across the Beagle Channel.

DSC02724.thumb.JPG.d030161db03654f77ec947ad11f8f585.JPG

DSC02727.thumb.JPG.cea52738255e7e18a89d49eeccded9e5.JPG

DSC02729.thumb.JPG.32005816a856f5afce8f912c556add5b.JPG

Ushuaia as we left port.

DSC02775.thumb.JPG.c302379c616354163d48f286b9e96e84.JPG

DSC02776.thumb.JPG.11df92b0e3c5db057d239bee7d16efa3.JPG

Lenda

Lovely photos Lenda.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Beagle Channel

I always enjoy a cool weather cruise, especially if there are glaciers to view.  Our first time in Beagle Channel was on Star Princess in 2012 (Rio de Janeiro to San Francisco).  We were denied entry to Ushuaia's harbor due to the fact we had visited Stanley, Falkland Islands.  This was the 30th anniversary year of their famous conflict.  Because of the harbor master's decision we spent the day cruising Beagle Channel in the daylight hours instead of evening and night time.  Two 2012 photos:

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

That was quite a collection of glacier ice right at sea level.  I'll bet it began calving shortly after to relieve the pressure of the encroaching ice.

Star Princess served coffee and hot chocolate on deck that day.  We could listen to the destination expert over the loud speakers out there or slip inside to warm up.

Next visit to Beagle Channel would have been our 2015 Ruby Princess cruise (Ft. Lauderdale to L.A. 49 days).  This time we were able to stop at Ushuaia, so our trip through the channel seeing the glaciers took place after departure.  We got up and down from the dinner table (late dining) and ran outside to take photos every 10 minutes or so.  Here is one of them.

This glacier and waterfall photo was taken at nearly 9 pm.

One exciting visit to Beagle Channel was our third time there on the Seabourn Quest in 2016 (Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina).  The day was Christmas Eve. Here’s the same glacier and waterfall, seen a year and a half later on the Quest in the early morning hours.

Hopefully not much change! 

Photo taken from Seabourn video

Hot chocolate was consumed on my balcony this cruise!  Along with a delicious muffin from Seabourn Square.

Final visit was on Coral Princess in January 2020 (my latest visit there).  That one was from San Antonio, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina.  We left Ushuaia around 6 or 6:30 pm and 12 hours later we were viewing Cape Horn.  I have NO photos of the Beagle Channel from that cruise.  The last photo I took in Ushuaia was of another ship leaving for an expedition cruise to Antarctica.  In fact, it is actually named Expedition!  Cruisemapper.com says it hold 134 passengers and is located in the Mediterranean today.

A little over 12 hours later we were at Cape Horn.

And here is the albatross monument at Cape Horn instead. 

Nice photos Sandi.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good sunny afternoon. It’s supposed to be 60 tomorrow and 64 on Wednesday with thunderstorms possible, then chilly on Thursday. 

It’s good to hear from Annie @marshhawkthat her internet connection is fixed.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Welcome back!!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Woo Hoo, you're back!!  You were missed!!!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, summer slope said:

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes.  Dr. got it all the first time.  In and out in an hour.

Fantastic!  So glad for you, Dixie!

7 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

@dfish we too had a valve not opening in our zone heating system. But it wasn’t the valve, it was the wire to it. DH replaced it but not easy fishing it; I hope your fix is easier. We always kept a spare valve (mountain-living  back-ups!) but never needed one. But changing out a valve should be quick once they get the right parts. 🤞

I'm not even sure where the valves are!   I need someone to just give me a beginner's lesson in boilers.  But, once I find out, I will keep a spare on hand.  If it isn't hard to swap out, I should be able to do it.

7 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@dfish I do hope your heating issue in the living room will be an easy (read cheap) fix! 

Well, the system came on late last night apparently and the whole house is up to temperature.  I am waiting to call the repair people until the problem re-presents.  If it does.  If it is a valve, it is likely to do so. 

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Welcome home!  We've missed  you !

• Like 12

Hello all,

As promised I am reporting from Jacksonville.

The numbers from the Blood Test are within normal limits.  So my question to the doc is “Why do I feel so bad?”  My back is hurting, my right shoulder and upper arm are hurting.  I just plain feel lousy!

We will see where we go from here.

I have an appointment with the Rheumatologist on March 12.  I have been waiting fro three months for that appointment.  We will se what comes of it.

I am very tired tonight.  

Hopefully I can get an X-ray of the shoulder tomorrow and also get to go home.

More tomorrow when I get the opportunity.

Terri

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

49 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello all,

The numbers from the Blood Test are within normal limits.  So my question to the doc is “Why do I feel so bad?”  My back is hurting, my right shoulder and upper arm are hurting.  I just plain feel lousy!

I have an appointment with the Rheumatologist on March 12.  I have been waiting fro three months for that appointment.  We will se what comes of it.

I am very tired tonight.  

Terri

I hope the Rheumatologist can diagnose your medical issues so you can feel better.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Welcome home! 😘 

• Like 7

Made it to the resort outside of Ayer’s Rock Park. It’s 105 F. We are at the peak of insect pest season so glad we brought head nets. They don’t bite but are just petty as they swarm around your head. Just barren bush country. Has not rained in two months.

Australian BBQ tonight which is an excursion out in the bush under the stars. Skies should be spectacular with little light pollution. It’s also going to be hot.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello all,

I am very tired tonight.  

Terri

Terri, I'm glad the numbers on your blood tessts are normal.  I hope you get some help to feel better.

Safe travels home today.

Lenda

• Like 2