Anyone Else Leaving or Considering Leaving RCL Over Prices?

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Yes.

Already sailed twice with SilverSea for a much better suite experience and have another booked with them for the fall.  

I won't book suites on Royal anymore.  For the money I now know Royal delivers a lesser suite experience.  Having said that I have one Star class booking left on Utopia for my last Royal Suite experience.  However since it's a shortie I don't have a lot of deposit money at risk if I change my mind.

I've booked one luxury train experience that will provide more days in true luxury than Royal can provide in a Star class suite for the same money.  I have several more train trips in the planning stages were I am putting more effort right now.  These are high end trips with high end prices so my planning is going out beyond 2025, one per year.

Not sure I'll go back to Carnival but I have shopped them and looked at mock bookings for short Florida weekend cruises.   The dozen or so Royal bookings I have are older, booked before the price insanity.  I'm losing some of those as Royal cancels them with redeployments so my dwindling future cruise count with Royal is due to Royal canceling cruises, not me.  

we just booked our first Silversea cruise to Alaska next year. We were in a suite on Wonder and wanted to book it again in a year, but the price for 7 day cruise was higher than we saw on Silversea that includes EVERYTHING - door to door, starting with pickup and drop off from our home! Plus it’s an upscale line, smaller ships with so much ocean views and way better food! and everything is included, even excursions.

So we booked that!  It was crazy what Royal wanted to charge. We still have a bunch of cruises on Royal, but haven’t booked one lately.  Our new cruises are on Celebrity and Silversea. We’re not fond of 3 or 4 night cruises, I don’t like the “vibe”.

• Like 6

Not considering leaving but have cut back on the number of cruises for this year. Also starting to take a look at Cancun resorts. All inclusive offers value and better dining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not "leaving"  like @Jam0610 but cutting cruises with Royal to two a year. So far I have been able to get good price points on those cruises but future cruises on the newer ships are not going to happen. I think my cruises will fade as they retire the older smaller ships that I enjoy.

I know there are many cruisers who adore the newer ships but that style is most probably a one and done for me just to say I tried it.

I am exploring other travel experiences with the monies I do not spend on additional cruises.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Not "leaving"  like @Jam0610 but cutting cruises with Royal to two a year. So far I have been able to get good price points on those cruises but future cruises on the newer ships are not going to happen. I think my cruises will fade as they retire the older smaller ships that I enjoy.

I know there are many cruisers who adore the newer ships but that style is most probably a one and done for me just to say I tried it.

I am exploring other travel experiences with the monies I do not spend on additional cruises.

Yes we have gone down significantly in our number of cruises - but still do once a year on Royal or Celebrity.  But we go all in on that one cruise and really enjoy it!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CGinMTL said:

I have never been loyal to a brand

Always look at price and itinerary to make my decsions

That's me.  If I have free drinks every day, maybe it would be a harder call, but I don't, so it's easy to shop.  

I have RCCL this year, and next year looks like land based trips...and then we'll see if value returns for certain cruises on any of the lines I'll sail in 2026...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

What about a free cruise at 700 points and every 350 points  after?  

M

On one of mine right now on Wonder.   313.36 paid for port fees/taxes for one week in superior balcony, used RCI stock and RCI Visa for OBC to pay automatic tips (though we pad that heavily with hand to hand cash tips 😉)  Cruising on the cheap this week.  😁

However, that being said...a couple of freebie cruises won't keep me loyal any longer.

Soooo many cutbacks everywhere in the last few years, with pricing going up and up and letting the little ladies live with lack up update and repair (to pay for the massive theme park style ships?).  This has finally knocked us off the 20 year "Loyal to Royal" bookings as ironically..... after turning Pinnie...we are booking with other lines.  Viking has taken the bulk of our bookings now.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

I have been cruising for 44 years, and I’m starting to wind down. I’m a solo cruiser, and for me at this point, it’s all about itinerary. I have never been loyal to a cruise line, but I did focus on Royal the last few years to get to the 340 mark, which I did. I  have 3 different cruise lines booked through Spring of 2025. I’m not really sure what the future holds for me. As I’ve gotten older, I do enjoy being a homebody. If the right itinerary comes along, and the price fits in my wheelhouse, I may be enticed. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jam0610 said:

Not considering leaving but have cut back on the number of cruises for this year. Also starting to take a look at Cancun resorts. All inclusive offers value and better dining.

We switched from A/I to cruises completely, but during pandemic went to Iberostar in Riviera Maya twice. It was their middle of the pack Iberostar Paraiso Selection Lindo hotel. It was nice… but I miss ships smaller scale entertainment and visiting various places  (that’s why switched to cruises). 

Yes. We are Emerald on Royal, so no huge loyalty benefits to even out the cost. We dont gamble, so no free cruises. 

I just booked Carnival Mardi Gras for next year. Mid ship extended Balcony with all the extras (gratuity, drink package, internet, specialty dining) was $400 cheaper than a Neighborhood Balcony Guarantee (with no extras) on Wonder for the same time frame. 

I don't expect that it will be the same as Royal, but when I can practically take 2 Carnival cruises for the same price as 1 on Royal I will give it a try. If we don't like Carnival and Royal's prices continue to sky rocket, we will likely stick to land based vacations for a while. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SG65CB said:

I don't know enough about ships on other cruise lines to know what ships are comparable. It would be interesting to know if anyone has done an apples-to-apples comparison of prices for similar ships, same stateroom category and size, same home port and similar itinerary to see if Royal is higher compared to others or if the others have gone up too. 

Royal..... older ship, balcony room, not a suite, 7 day, $6500.

Carnival.... new ship, suite, 7 day, $3100

• Like 4

I’m another pinnacle who is starting to look elsewhere. For example I’m going on Princess this April.  I’ve typically been doing 8 or more RCI cruises per year and have only done RCI for several years but it’s now going to require more than a name tag, free drinks and WiFi to keep me paying crazy prices.  I have a pinnacle milestone cruise on Icon next year which otherwise would have cost me $6500 for a standard balcony.  And while I appreciate the gift it’s still a price I never would have paid.  After that May 2025 sailing I’m going to look elsewhere for the remainder of 2025.  I’ll probably return to Carnival on one of the newest ships.  Oceania, Virgin, MSC are looking good too.  Not abandoning RCI, but they will just be a possibility in the bucket of cruise lines.  That’s what I used to do before I went on the loyal to Royal bandwagon.  Time to return to my old ways.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Anton said:

I have a pinnacle milestone cruise on Icon next year which otherwise would have cost me $6500 for a standard balcony.

Probably the only reason why we would ever even consider sailing on that class of ship. We used our last milestone cruise on Wonder (worth ~$5,800 for a standard balcony), but will use the JS milestone that we receive in September for one of the older, more friendly ships (unless we can use it on a Celebrity cruise - which I doubt).

• Like 2

Hi,

For many years we did 2 cruises per year and 1 or 2 short land based holidays in between.

We tried to get away around Feb on a cruise and later October.

The idea was to travel down to the Caribbean for either a 9 to 12 night cruise from Florida or New Jersey or do a back to back to make up a 14 night cruise to different ports staying on the same ship in the same cabin.

Then in October going out of Europe such as Italy, Spain or Greece.

Due to the high cost of travel from the UK and massive disruption within it with trains and ATC strikes etc, and the cost of overnight stays in hotels, we have decided to do just 1 big cruise a year instead. This year it the Jewel TA for 15 nights and next year its the Indy for 12 nights from Southampton.

Sadly, looking at recent itinerary, it looks like it is now almost impossible to cruise out of Florida in 2026 for a B2B where you go to different ports on the same ship. Its just too far to travel for us for just 5 or 6 nights and having to get off one ship in say Miami and then travel up to FL to get on another ship for 6 nights just to go to other ports is just too much hassle. Its not just the price thats the problem here, its the fact that you just cannot get a decent long cruise (other than a TA) that makes all the evil of air travel worth it.

We can't even get a decent B2B out of Europe without hassle too.

I see in 2026 that things only go up to March and the only long cruise is out of San Juan which I don't even think we can fly to from the UK direct which means at least 17 hrs of planes and airports - never mind the price, the hassle involved just isn't going to make that happen.

Just hoping that a decent ship will leave from Cape Liberty for Southampton. Getting to that port from NY is a ball-ache, but is doable and we have done it several times. That may be the only hope for us cruising in 2026.

Another thing, not just the price, is that fact that so many ports/countries are now banning ships for various reasons or the ships are just too big to get into any of the ports. 

If I have to work hard and save up for many months for a cruise, then I need it to be worth it. If its not worth it, then it won't happen no matter what the price or what goodies we get. 

There are many places around the UK I have not been for over 40 years and many I have not been to at all. 

Cruising for us was a cheapish way to visit places that we did not want to stay in, but wanted to see for a few hours so we could say we had been there. If that option gets taken away, then the UK may be a easier, better, cheaper option. Just the weather (oh and constant strikes by various train operators) that may stop us!

As for the newer ships, I have no wish to go on these mega ships that only sail for a few days to a select amount of ports that will probably be full to capacity causing nothing but queueing and waiting for everything that they offer. I will take the older ships that have most of the old things we have come to love and enjoy, just as long as the price matches the service that is being offered.

Mick.

• Like 4

While I don't like how quickly cruise fares are going up, the price of everything else is going up.

I have a cruise in October where it's going to cost $2000 just for a family of 3 to fly there and spend the night.

And this is a direct flight between two major airports.

• Like 3

Also a higher point D+ (close to 500) that gave up pursuing the drive to P several years ago.  Between the erosion of perks, the change to "amusement park of the seas" and now the higher pricing, we are doing more X (yes, I know common ownership) and MSC Yacht Club (only).   They present much more value for our cruising $.

RC has never really understood that loyalty is a 2-way street.

• Like 5

As I posted yesterday, we are not loyal to one cruise line. We do have three Royal cruises on the books this year with one being a TA. We liked the itinerary so we booked it. Price wasn’t bad either. For next year we found a Celebrity cruise to Bermuda in a Celebrity suite for much less than what Royal wanted. Celebrity does suites much better than Royal and in this case for a much better price. We have also booked a Christmas market River cruise on Avalon. Not cheap but on the bucket list. We will fill in with other cruises as we find ones that fit what we’re looking for. We have looked at Oceana but unless it’s one of their three larger ships, we will pass as we have no interest in those four smaller older ships. 

There is only one cruise line that we currently have no interest in but we want to try the MSC YC. We have had five booked on MSC but they were all canceled due to the pandemic. They’re moving the Bellissima to the west coast next fall. We will more than likely give them a try.  Looking around at the competition is a good thing if you’re not happy. 

• Like 1

The only saving grace for us is that we always book while onboard as soon as the next tranche of itineraries is released (it is the only way we are able to justify always booking GS). Every one of the 21 RCL cruises we have booked through April 2026 have more than doubled in price (and some have tripled) since we booked. If we were to look at booking those same cruises today, we would seriously consider other cruise lines. We just booked a cruise for January 2025 on X in a Retreat suite that is at a lower cost than the current price of any of the RCL grand suites we have booked, and the suite perks on X are much better than the suite perks on RCL.

Once we run through our current bookings, we are switching our cruise bookings to Silver Sea, Regent, and Oceania.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruising89143 said:

There is only one cruise line that we currently have no interest in but we want to try the MSC YC.

We have neighbors that cruise MSC frequently, and in their opinion, the only reason why they cruise that line is because of the YC.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Good point!  $1,176 X 18% = $211.68

Cruise cost benefit for Pinacles = $1,387.68 + free laundry + BOGO dining + free water etc...

Don't forget wifi. That is becoming a hefty expense.

16 hours ago, JoieNsk said:

Many cruise lines do this nowadays.

As far as my experience goes - NCL and Princess have refundable deposits with no other strings attached.

With Royal - as far as I remember - suite type rooms have non-refundable deposits anyways, no matter the final price. But you can at least switch the date paying $100 dollars per a person fee.

Disney also has non-refundable deposits for suites. But you can switch the date for free - at least.

I can tolerate non-refundable deposits. I don't appreciate the change fees at all.