The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 8th, 2024

kazu

Posted (edited)

No capacity for celebrating nastiness - I will enjoy a double serving of peanut clusters and women's day. I've used my middle name since I got out of school and thanks to this group I know it means "God's promise" or "God is my oath." 

Unfortunately, I agree w/the quote, the meal & wine sound good, maybe try the drink if substituting vodka, not been to the GBR but would like to.

Big days in history.

Thanks @JazzyV for remembering my neurologist appt today - I have no idea what to expect. I hope there's a break in the rain so driving will be easier. The office is across town & I'm not sure exactly where I'm going.

Silly 🐕 just loves the rain and can't stay out of the "lake" in the backyard. It had barely dried out from the last rain & yard really needs to be mowed. Ugh

Currently 61° heading to wet 72°.

Very full work calendar after Dr appt, so I hope he stays on schedule. 

Prayers 🙏  and positive thoughts for all. 

20240308_070159.thumb.jpg.1ece6b04218cee732b0bdb67a3db8247.jpg

20240308_070048.thumb.jpg.7ed520f9e7a738d579ccc51e5c5280ae.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Why would being nasty have its own day? I try very hard to avoid people that are nasty. I will celebrate Women on this Womens Day.  

Not sure that todays port is really a port. We sailed thru that area on our 2022 circumnavigation. Not much to see from the ship. I think the beauty is below the surface.

Today is our Golf tournament. Unfortunately I injured my hip and cannot play I tried going to the range yesterday to see if I could swing. Not a good decision. So one of my friends will hit in my place. I will just ride around with my team. So disappointing but not much to complain about, given what others are going thru. I will still attend the awards dinner. DH will bring DD down. We set up the hall yesterday. It will still be an enjoyable day.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Some sun today, Yay!  Not enough sleep, came out and eventually slept in the recliner so maybe tonight I’ll be tired enough to sleep better.

I love all the International Women’s Day posts!  My middle name is special to me… my sister born before me died as a baby from a sudden illness and mom was getting old for pregnancy in that era… she prayed for another daughter and named me for her favorite saint. 

We spent a thrilling day visiting Great Barrier Reef by excursion boat from Cairns. I did it all - snorkeling, plus dry viewing from semi-submersible sub and staircases in huge plastic tubes. The excursion boat took us to a floating base that had everything. It was a magnificent experience. It was part of our 6week stay in Australia from Cairns to Tasmania including stays with two sets of cruise friends. We cruised from CA across on a repositioning instead of flying, then cruised from Sydney over to and around NZ for 4 weeks there, all part of 4 months in the Pacific. So many once in a lifetime experiences and Great Barrier Reef is high up there!  

DH’s eye check went very well. Doc looked at it through his instrument and said, It looks beautiful! Pressure is good, continue tapering steroids, come back in 3 weeks. But continue the physical restrictions… DH wasn’t too happy about that but the eye is still vulnerable. Well, we sure don’t want to damage it!  And we’ll go through this again with the next surgery for the other eye but we’ll get there!  Amazing! Absolutely Amazing! is all I can say!  

On the way home we navigated to my next two upcoming appts so we’d be familiar with where they are. We got home just in time for my zoom yoga. After that I was tired, by bedtime I was sore. 

Blessings to all in need!
Toasts to all celebrating!

Strength and a good day for all the caregivers.  
Great to hear Ann’s DS showing strong improvements!  And Sam too!  
And Morgan getting to a new place!  
And Lauren getting the care she needs. 

Smooth travels to all away!  

@aliaschiefBruce:  Wondering if there’s an option to get off in Dubai, do a month of touring on one’s own then rejoin the ship in Venice?  

Thanks all for being here!  See something special today !

Maureen 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Sam continues to amaze me with his turnaround from last weekend. Yesterday when I was going to feed him in the afternoon - he actally kept ahead of me going in the house. And he is definitely back to his "talking" to us. Just love him! 

That is SUCH great news, Jack. 👍. I am so happy to hear it.  ❤️ 

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

I get very depressed when I go to the pharmacy and realize that I cant afford my meds.  But the other day I saw an elderly couple walk out of DH's oncologist office and the wife's question to him, was "why did you walk out?" and his response was that "I didnt want to have to read and sign all that paperwork". I found that sad, but I am repeatedly seeing people trying to get their must have meds, and they cant afford them .  I went to get my refill of Januvia and it had gone from 475 to 675, and I had to walk away.  Told them to put it back on the shelf, until I could get a decent pay check.

This is just so sad to hear, Annie 😢. No one should be without the drugs they need, ever 😔 

It breaks my heart to think of you (and other neighbours down South) having to without what is so badly needed 💔 

30 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

my neurologist appt today - I have no idea what to expect.

Best wishes for your appointment today.  I hope you can find the office easily and the rain lets up for you 🤞 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I went to get my refill of Januvia and it had gone from 475 to 675, and I had to walk away. 

Please don't go without a medication that's essential. If your doctor can't come up with another that would work, here are some ways to reduce the cost (I wish they lowered it more):

Manufacturer's coupon that dovetails with insurance (not sure it works without insurance)

GoodRx.

I even considered cruising back to Cozumel to the pharmacy there

It is possible to order prescription drugs from Mexico. The US government will tell you that it's dangerous, but it's legal for a drug that is approved here. I have done this during a gap in insurance.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning from what looks to be a good day in Quartzsite.  It is clear with a light, 4 mph, breeze.  However, the wind will pick up to about 15 mph this afternoon.  It is currently 48F with a predicted high of 71F but it will be sunny. ☀️

I'll skip be nasty day and instead celebrate International Women's Day.  I'll also celebrate my middle name since it is the one I go by.  Peanut clusters with chocolate would be good too.

The quote is sad but true.

Today's meal sounds good, but we'll be finishing the baby back ribs and sides tonight.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds interesting.

We cruised near the Great Barrier Reef on Volendam in 2002 on our way to Cairns from Darwin.  Since we passed the area at night, we didn't see the reef.  For a number of reasons, on our day in Cairns we opted to rent a car instead of taking a boat out to the GBR.

There are four interesting and varied days in history to celebrate, too.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, that cyber attack was horrible, and I'm glad your company is helping the hospitals find ways to work around it.

@kazu  Jacqui, please be careful outside today.  Remember what needs cleaning up will still be there when the weather improves and it's safer to do the work.  I agree with your second post about no one should have to go without their medicine.  Our drug pricing and lack of drug accessibility to many patients is a disaster.

@Heartgrove  Jack, I'm so glad Sam is still doing so well.  I hope you have much more time to love and enjoy each other.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm so sorry your have to forego your much needed medicine.  Can your doctor give you some samples until you get a check.  The pharmacy we use in Algodones will do mail orders. Their prices are about the best in Mexico, and even with the surcharge for using a credit card and the mailing costs, the price should still be reasonable.  You might want to do a Google search for pharmacies there.  BTW, they mail the packages from Yuma, for what it's worth.

@cat shepard  Ann, 45 minutes to an hour away is doable if the rehab facility is the best choice.  The one DH was in was a rehab hospital little more than an hour one way, but it was the best option.  Otherwise, it would have been a nursing home that did PT.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad the birthday dinner went well.  

@Haljo1935  I hope your appointment with the neurologist goes well today.

@cunnorl  Charlene, I'm sorry you hurt your hip and cannot play in the tournament today.  I hope your hip is better soon.

430760071_798523015644041_5801854310897787622_n.thumb.jpg.f211052ff1d11ecee19b78e0266d4a06.jpg

431168021_389094720551193_5218481642381765050_n.thumb.jpg.38da2762622b9790a1bc289e86429e89.jpg

431332437_25671543842432947_1100770877690219812_n.thumb.jpg.f78a94dc921a88bbde8b1067d1c3542d.jpg

431807765_122134968338123194_2123183233739140288_n.thumb.jpg.e32d524d0d1bb509dc75abd25ca825bc.jpg

430098155_1023260059159470_2771807409128181834_n.thumb.jpg.7cd5227085f3f9dfe3594e2763b67a2e.jpg

430169116_396938879593114_756602836331432087_n.thumb.jpg.8fd2980ec7eedf79e0cb22fafc3c78d4.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 15

42 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Please don't go without a medication that's essential. If your doctor can't come up with another that would work, here are some ways to reduce the cost (I wish they lowered it more):

Manufacturer's coupon that dovetails with insurance (not sure it works without insurance)

GoodRx.

It is possible to order prescription drugs from Mexico. The US government will tell you that it's dangerous, but it's legal for a drug that is approved here. I have done this during a gap in insurance.

Paul, I check Annie's @marshhawk  prescription price on GoodRx, and even with their discount, it was almost $600.  Sometimes lately, I've found GoodRX to not be that good.  there are other discount programs, but right now I can't remember what they are.

Lenda

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Paul, I check Annie's @marshhawk  prescription price on GoodRx, and even with their discount, it was almost $600.  Sometimes lately, I've found GoodRX to not be that good.  there are other discount programs, but right now I can't remember what they are.

Lenda

Wow.

I am so pleased I live in England.

Over 60s prescriptions free.

Anyone with Thyroid problems or Epilepsy get all prescriptions free.

Cancer and diabetes free.

Asthma free.

Under 16s free.

16-18 in full time education Free.

People on certain benefits Free.

Anyone else each individual medication costs £9.65.

• Like 16

41 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

https://www.markcubancostplusdrugcompany.com/

This has great prices for selected drugs. Unfortunately Januvia is not on the list as it is not yet available in generic form. The site is worth looking at for drugs taken for long term maintenance. It does require that the physician send in a new prescription, transfer from existing pharmacy was not available when i used it.

• Like 13

Happy Friday, it's in the 40's and going to rain all day today.  I'll celebrate Women's Day, but not "be nasty" day.  Not sure about the soup, but I'd take the chocolate peanut clusters.  

@marshhawksorry to hear about the cost of your medications, such a sad situation.  

@kazube careful outside today!  We're still having a very mild winter here.  The robins are back and the bulbs are coming up.

Thanks to all who share and care here...I love all of the port photos!   

We have a quiet weekend, DH is still doing well after his hip replacement.  He may have overdone it the other day, but is taking it easier now...he didn't listen to me! LOL! 

Have a good day and a wonderful weekend, Karen

• Like 20

Good morning. Thanks for the FR/Daily @kazu @richwmn and maps @rafinmd.

No need to be nasty, I have no middle name, and I don't like peanut clusters. I will celebrate International Women's Day. Interesting quote. The soup sounds good. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to the Great Barrier Reef. 4 good days in history.

It's somewhat sunny and 58F, but snow is in the forecast! I'm congested with this head cold and a cough, but slept not too bad. Some leg pain and numbness, mainly on waking up. I haven't decided if I need an antibiotic or not. I cancelled my PT for this morning. I have the furniture guy coming this afternoon; I may have no DR chairs for Easter, so may eat out. I also want to continue organizing drawers in the built in cabinets on either side of the fireplace, if I feel up to it. BFF is taking our UK friends to hockey practice then out to eat; I may see them tomorrow, depending on how I feel.

@Crazy For Cats It sounds like that cyberattack caused lots of headaches for many. 

@kazu Be careful if/when you go out.

@StLouisCruisers I know Morgan will be so relieved once she moves.

@smitty34877 Sorry to hear there was less sleep last night; I hope things improve.

@Heartgrove Good news that Sam is hanging in there.

@marshhawk Sorry to hear about the medication situation; it's hard, especially for newer meds. Can you use something like GoodRx, Amazon drug? I do that for one eye drop that is $100 copay, but only $28 with GoodRx. Or apply for assistance? My RA drug is about $5000/month, but I get it free from the manufacturer; surprisingly I didn't have to supply income info.

@cat shepard I was happy to hear about your sister's improvement.

@cunnorl Good luck with the Golf tournament, but I'm sorry you injured your hip and can't play. 

@RMLincoln Yay for DH's good report from the eye doctor! 

@quilty964 I'm glad DH is doing well.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

I know that, but I didn't want to post just ordering from Mexico without checking.

Staying out of further medical discussions.

• Like 10

The first of today's special days reminds me of Alice Roosevelt Longworth, who is quoted as saying "If you can't say anything nice about anyone, come sit next to me."

My middle name is a family name, my maternal grandfather's surname. I've been told that I resemble him mentally, which is no compliment. Nothing against peanut clusters but they're not my favorite.

The soup would be OK. I would probably like the drink, once. Cabernet Franc is one of the best grapes in the Finger Lakes, very like the same variety from the Loire, which nothing in California can approximate. I'll nominate Vineyard View Winery 2020.

The Department of Environmental Conservation is warning hikers to avoid higher elevations in the Adirondacks for now. Several experienced winter hikers have had to be rescued because the ice is thinner and more slippery than in colder weather. Nothing down where I live is that high.

dropboxandferrets.thumb.jpg.ff3ba19e8a5ae7e09cb36a08b91c3eee.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

Good morning, 

It's a rather dreary day today with rain in the forecast and an even wetter weekend. It beats snow! I'll celebrate National Women's Day, Peanut Clusters (with dark chocolate) and my middle name is Lynne (sometimes spelled without the e). 

Today is busy. I have some errands to run and town is about a 25 minute drive away. First stop will be the Hallmark store for a few more Easter cards. I have to get them in the mail to Canada soon as it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 weeks to arrive. Today is the potluck for the Widows Support Group so I've made some cookies to take. After that it will be a grocery stop and then home. Once home the plan is to stay put until Monday but you just never know! 

Karen

• Like 16

Posted (edited)

@marshhawk  Annie, another site that is similar to GoodRX is SingleCare.com.  DH looked up your drug and with SingleCare it is under $400 at most pharmacies.  We've used SingleCare recently when it was quite a bit lower than Good RX.  DH also looked up the drug in Mexico, and it's about $56.79 for a 30 day supply.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

@JazzyV this attack is a bit more malicious than others.  It targeted a vendor that processes claims for hospitals.  Most time the average person is unaware of a cyber attack on a hospital.  Many times when the attack is made public people think that data was copied and someone else has it, not true.  The hospital data is encrypted and you need a key from the hacker to get access to data in your system.  Typically the hackers take the money and run.  We see these incidents weekly.  We can usually bring the customer back online with their data by using a good backup that isn’t infected.  

I always recommend that we, the patient, retain a full copy of our medical records.  US citizens are allowed to ask for this information under the Cures Act.  Any organization that doesn’t comply should be reported to CMS.

Today is a light work day which is giving my eyes a break from all that screen time.  This week by the end of the day going on the tablet or other screen is something I don’t want to do.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone.  Salute to International Women's Day.  The others are kind of uninspiring.

@marshhawkAnnie, the drug situation is murky.  To get the migraine medication covered that I want, I have to first try three other drugs from three other categories to see if I can tolerate them first.  Maybe something like that for you?  The migraine med I want is $1200 a month from cheapest sources.  (No generic.)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  I think we have looked at the name game all week.  First the meaning, then on a name tag, and now pride in our middle name.  Maybe tomorrow will be, if you could change your name what would it be?  

@NickelpennyI have been thinking of you and the bugs.  Why not create some kind of slide show "Bugs of the Amazon" and share it with the schools where you sub?

I get very depressed when I go to the pharmacy and realize that I cant afford my meds.  But the other day I saw an elderly couple walk out of DH's oncologist office and the wife's question to him, was "why did you walk out?" and his response was that "I didnt want to have to read and sign all that paperwork". I found that sad, but I am repeatedly seeing people trying to get their must have meds, and they cant afford them .  I went to get my refill of Januvia and it had gone from 475 to 675, and I had to walk away.  Told them to put it back on the shelf, until I could get a decent pay check.  Life is just getting weird.  

I even considered cruising back to Cozumel to the pharmacy there, but checked and Carnival is not going to Mexico's east coast on 5 day trips anymore. At least not from Mobile.

Last night when I sat down at the home computer, I found a black cube on the floor.  It is a solid black cube. I didnt know what it goes to and neither the DH.  We decided that it was intraterrestrial and it was a black hole that had cubed itself and land in our den. 

439058.jpg

Well both of us are up way too early -practicing for getting Tigger to the vets on Monday morning.

e7c1ee265e1df39a5f85ac52d7b0938f.jpg

Have you possibly looked at the Merck site to apply for assistance?  I can’t cut and paste here but Juniva is on there. Also there is a program called Single Care. I don’t know the specifics but I think it is free to sign up with a month script is around $350. 

As a nurse, this disturbs me great about the way US healthcare works. I am so sorry you are in this predicament. 😢

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@marshhawk  Annie, another site that is similar to GoodRX is SingleCare.com.  DH looked up your drug and with SingleCare it is under $400 at most pharmacies.  We've used SingleCare recently when it was quite a bit lower than Good RX.  DH also looked up the drug in Mexico, and it's about $56.79 for a 30 day supply.

Lenda

2 minds on a single thought. 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

We just got home from our appointments and put the groceries away.  I saw Annie's @marshhawk's discussion about Januvia and looked it up using the Stone Mountain zip code (or at least one of them) and they have 30 day supplies from Walgreens at $359.  Please look into it Annie to see if you can use Singlecare.com.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

2 minds on a single thought. 👍

Sorry I didn't see further discussions.  I was going to catch up on posts after lunch.  I hope this is something Annie can use.

• Like 7

Good morning, Dailyites, Friday at last!  DD blew a "fuse" the other day, and the time on the microwave is off.  Pat says he won't reset it for now, as we change times on the weekend and he can do it then.  That's okay with me.  Interesting days!  I think I am an international woman, as I was born in China, grew up in the Philippines and Canada,and lived in the Bahamas, Colombia, Kenya and the US.  And I've "stood" on all seven continents.  Ann is my middle name, but I have to use my first name, Penelope, when travelling, as that is what is on my passport.  

Prescriptions here in BC are partially covered, it all depends on one's income.  My Prolia is expensive, but it does last for 6 months.  It's worth it to me, as I hated having to take Fosamax.  Now younger DD has been diagnosed with osteoporosis, I don't know what she is going to do.

I didn't have a good appointment with the eye doctor yesterday.  Impending macular degeneration - he saw "bumps"!  And the cataracts are progressing, but he could still just up my prescription, I really do not want the surgery.  Fortunately, DS gave me the "family discount", so I will get my new glasses in a few days, and I have to start taking one of those eye vitamins.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2