The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday March 11th, 2024

kazu

26 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

Hoping that newcomers are welcome here.  I have been reading and following for some time now but have never posted.

I so enjoy reading every morning and if newcomers are welcome I would like to join.

@DeniseT I remember your excitement  over your first HAL cruise.  Hope Fiona is on the mend soon.  Curious what the vet prescribed for the UTI.   I am 71 and had my very first UTI ever in my life and didn't even know I had one!  For humans as we age it is pretty common.  As with all infections being a TKR patient I have to be super careful with any infection.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I got a chuckle out of your comment regarding traffic in Yuma on a Sunday.  We are full-time RVers who have wintered in the Foothills for 5 winters and the traffic this time of year is YUCK!   Reminds me of when I lived in Florida.   Thankfully we don't have to be out on the roads much  because it is like you take your life in your hands!

Hard to believe it has been so long since the Pandemic was started.  It seems like yesterday to us. Definitely trying times for sure.

Hi and welcome! I have exchanged so much w/you recently, especially on HI threads, I feel like we're already friends 😊

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

@bennybear thanks for the amazingly beautiful pictures.

you’re welcome! It was so beautiful, made the red eye worthwhile.  They had loaded dinner not breakfast, so roast chicken at 3 am, lol! 

Appreciate all the good wishes, they worked!  Thankyou to all @RMLincoln and @JazzyV

finally catching up! Sending good wishes to @ger_77 and @Cruzin Terri  

@marshhawk  how’s Chuck?  I think I missed the update.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning here. Just waking up and soon will be headed for coffee. We will arrive in Madang later this morning and this afternoon they will bus us to a local resort for a Azamazing Day cultural event. It’s going to be hot and muggy and we’ll probably experience some rain. We are on the tail end of rainy season.

More and more people are electing to stay onboard after Dubai. Azamara has been very gracious and accommodating. Yesterday, they announced you could leave luggage aboard disembark and rejoin in Venice if you want to go off on your own versus go around Africa.

Time for coffee and an energizer juice concoction or will I have a banana smoothie? So many choices.

Thank you all for your post. Have a great week. Bruce

Some pics from our bridge tour by the Captain. Received invitation to dine with Captain tomorrow night.

image.thumb.jpeg.913e27dca2e251d689d0fd6301ebf794.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6769436ea9cc415e6776b339c5b13603.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e89a0bc44fd5ebfec3f6beb056851d04.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.04b0a4877affeed9defeac2a1fc33291.jpeg

Bruce, sounds like an Amazing world cruise!  Do you think you'll want to do another soon?  Some do it every year!😉

27 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

Hoping that newcomers are welcome here.  I have been reading and following for some time now but have never posted.

I so enjoy reading every morning and if newcomers are welcome I would like to join.

@DeniseT I remember your excitement  over your first HAL cruise.  Hope Fiona is on the mend soon.  Curious what the vet prescribed for the UTI.   I am 71 and had my very first UTI ever in my life and didn't even know I had one!  For humans as we age it is pretty common.  As with all infections being a TKR patient I have to be super careful with any infection.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I got a chuckle out of your comment regarding traffic in Yuma on a Sunday.  We are full-time RVers who have wintered in the Foothills for 5 winters and the traffic this time of year is YUCK!   Reminds me of when I lived in Florida.   Thankfully we don't have to be out on the roads much  because it is like you take your life in your hands!

Hard to believe it has been so long since the Pandemic was started.  It seems like yesterday to us. Definitely trying times for sure.

Welcome to the Daily!  🎉

13 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Entering Madang and the local school bus (boat) goes by with kids laughing and yacking.

image.thumb.jpeg.da4e7466b28f3ab066e827b8749a1f77.jpeg

Probably talking about that cool cruise ship visiting them.

• Like 15

Thank you all for all your well wishes today.

I managed to get my blood work done this afternoon instead of tomorrow morning. That gives me time for breakfast before the Rheumatologist’s appointment.  Glad I got to Jacksonville on time.  Wasn’t sure I was going to make it.

I have not gotten an update on Anita, but will try to find out tonight or tomorrow.  If I were home I would have been at Hilton Head Hospital to find out what was happening.

Thank you for your kind thoughts about DD DBIL Eugene.  He was so special.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 18

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

I know I finally got brave enough to post here!

That's how I felt my first time 😊 I have not gotten so brave w/The Tribe other than occasional comments. That's a whole other vibe. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 9

47 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

Welcome. You just joined a great group

• Like 13

Good afternoon from Quartzsite.  We had to run into town to mail a package and pick up something at the store I didn't realize I needed when we were in Yuma tomorrow.

There is a years long project to work on and improve I-10 from abut the California border to Phoenix.  At the rate they are working, it might be decades long.  They started work in the Quartzsite area last fall and try to do most of the work at night.  So far, we have not seen much progress, but most of the work has been rebuilding the shoulders.  But there are times like today when they are working during the daytime, and boy was the I-10 westbound traffic a mess.  The work is about two miles from the western exit to town, and the traffic is backed up for miles past the eastern exit to town.  We couldn't see the end of the backup as we crossed over that part of I-10 coming home.  The problem was the road closed down to one just before the work area, and people were having trouble merging.  Traffic was stopped or just crawling for miles.

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning????    We had dinner for breakfast,   A little bleary eyed but home.   We have 311 in our city.  
I’m off to celebrate napping day,  great timing! 

a beautiful sunrise, which I usually miss!   

IMG_1072.jpeg

IMG_1080.jpeg

IMG_1089.jpeg

Brenda, glad you are home safely, and thanks for sharing the gorgeous sunrise.  I hope you can get some rest today and tonight.

1 hour ago, quilty964 said:

Good afternoon from a sunny, pleasant day in Wisconsin.  We have 211 to call here if help is needed.  I'll pass on the meal, haven't been to LA, and the start of the pandemic is something I won't ever forget.  That was a very difficult time in my life...my father had started home hospice care, and I believe one of the people who came to their apartment had covid and spread it to my parents, my sister and I. She was "coughing up a lung" the whole time she was doing her intake work.  My parents died 2 days apart from covid.  Again, something I will never forget.  I know several others who also died because of it.  It's still out there for sure, but hopefully not as deadly now. 

@dfishHappy Birthday to your sister! 

@StLouisCruisersGood to hear your DGD has a new place to live, my best wishes to her. 

@smitty34877thinking good thoughts for your family! 

@kazuI saw some pictures yesterday of snow in your neck of the woods, oh my is all I can say! 

@ger_77thinking good thoughts for your DH today...

Enjoy the rest of your day, Karen

Karen, I'm sorry that someone was careless enough to expose your parents and the family to Covid.  I'm doubly sorry that it was the cause of your parents' deaths two days apart.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda, her new mattress arrives Thursday so not too many nights to rough it.  She says she has a few pots to cook in and a couple of dishes of her own.  Family members are offering up items left and right.  It's just the distance involved.  Thanks for your concern and good thoughts.

🙂

Sandi, I'm glad that Morgan will have a mattress by Thursday.  She's young enough to handle not only sleeping on the floor, but getting off the floor in the morning.  It is so nice of the family to offer her things for the apartment.  It sounds like a lovely place to call home.

47 minutes ago, dfish said:

Please forgive me for not listing everyone who wished Sue a happy birthday.  I know I would leave someone out and I don't want to do that.  Thank you all, so much.  She was shocked that people on the Daily would wish her a happy birthday.  I explained to her again that we are kind of like a family here.  She is utterly amazed.

@Cruzin Terri Your DBIL Eugene has good company for birthdays!  I'm sure there is a big celebration for him above.  Good luck with your appointment tomorrow and safe travels.

@ger_77 I hope all went well with Maurice's tests today.  

@JazzyV I'm glad you are getting some relief from your pain.  I sure hope it is sustained over the long haul.  You may need repeat injections now and then, but if that let's you sleep and function, so be it.  

@Denise T I'm glad Fiona is doing better than you feared.  

@kazu I'm sorry about the pain causing sleep disruptions.  Too many of us know that battle.  I was up at 2 last night rubbing Aspercreme on my legs.  

Like many of you have mentioned, when Covid was declared a pandemic and we went into lockdown, finding the Daily was a lifeline to me as I lived alone.  You all helped me get through that time period without feeling too isolated.  

Debbie, even though DH and I had each other, we were still pretty much isolated.  The Daily was a life line to the outside world for me too.  The added plus was making such wonderful friends, some of whom I've gotten to meet.

36 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

Welcome to The Fleet Report/Daily.  I think that most of us who were not following the Fleet Report when it became The Daily, were lurkers for a while.  This has become a wonderful group that has developed into a family for the past few years.  The best thing is we welcome all newcomers too.  I didn't post for a while either until DH said there was a question I could probably answer, and as they say, the rest is history.  I had been wondering after we "chatted" on the Roll Call for the Koningsdam cruise when you would join us here.  

We have been coming to Quartzsite since 1997, and going to Yuma shopping over the past 25 years.  The traffic there certainly has gotten a lot worse, especially in the last few years.

22 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Entering Madang and the local school bus (boat) goes by with kids laughing and yacking.

image.thumb.jpeg.da4e7466b28f3ab066e827b8749a1f77.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures, Bruce.  The school boat is an interesting way to get the kids to school.  The bridge pictures were interesting too.  I don't ever remember seeing a sitting area on a bridge before.

7 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you all for all your well wishes today.

I managed to get my blood work done this afternoon instead of tomorrow morning. That gives me time for breakfast before the Rheumatologist’s appointment.  Glad I got to Jacksonville on time.  Wasn’t sure I was going to make it.

I have not gotten an update on Anita, but will try to find out tonight or tomorrow.  If I were home I would have been at Hilton Head Hospital to find out what was happening.

Thank you for your kind thoughts about DD DBIL Eugene.  He was so special.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I'm glad you made it safely to Jacksonville, and were able to get the blood work done today.  I'm sending positive thoughts for Anita and her doctors for a successful surgery.  I hope the good memories of Eugene make his birthday easier for both of you.

Lenda

• Like 20

5 hours ago, Denise T said:

Thank you for the well wishes. I have an update on Fiona. Thankfully, the worse that I thought it would be is not the case.

Aww - that is great news, Denise 🙂.  I hope her UTI can be fixed quickly and the new diet helps her. 🙏. So glad it was not the worse and is treatable.

51 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

Welcome to the Daily 🙂. Everyone here was a newcomer at one time or another no matter when they started posting 😉 

And everyone is welcome. 

Looking forward to your posts 🙂 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

Bruce, sounds like an Amazing world cruise!  Do you think you'll want to do another soon?  Some do it every year!😉

Welcome to the Daily!  🎉

Probably talking about that cool cruise ship visiting them.

We are booked for 2026 Seabourn World Cruise and next January a 82 day Azamara with several back to backs from Miami around South America, Antartica, Rio for Carnival, Amazon and back to Miami.

Yup we love to cruise

• Like 15

Good still windy evening. It’s expected to be calmer tomorrow.

@Hogladyrider, welcome to our family.

@StLouisCruisers, so glad Morgan is in her new home, but I hope there are no gators in that lake, be careful.

According to my CC profile, this Saturday March 16th is my 11th anniversary. I was a lurker for a long time before that. Time flies when you’re with people you love.

Have a good evening.

For all of you that play the lottery, Powerball drawing tonight is over 500 million and Megamillions is the same tomorrow night. Think of all the cruising we could do 🎉

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good still windy evening. It’s expected to be calmer tomorrow.

@Hogladyrider, welcome to our family.

@StLouisCruisers, so glad Morgan is in her new home, but I hope there are no gators in that lake, be careful.

According to my CC profile, this Saturday March 16th is my 11th anniversary. I was a lurker for a long time before that. Time flies when you’re with people you love.

Have a good evening.

For all of you that play the lottery, Powerball drawing tonight is over 500 million and Megamillions is the same tomorrow night. Think of all the cruising we could do 🎉

You are right!  I've already warned her to be on the lookout for alligators.  Especially if she's relaxing in a folding chair along the shore. 🐊  They move fast!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

The vet gave her an injection of an antibiotic called Covenia. It is a long-acting cephalosporin. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

Welcome !  I hope you join us often.  It took me a long time to feel comfortable just posting on CC.  When I was new there were a couple of people who jumped down my throat.  I took a year off after that.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  I laughed when you said you and Steve were together, but you still felt isolated.  At one point I called a friend and said I was feeling pretty lonely and she replied that I shouldn't. I should think of our friend Anne who had to be with her long term boyfriend, Jim.  Only Anne liked Jim.  

@Cruzin Terri Glad you made it safely to Jacksonville.  I hope you can get some help tomorrow.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, dfish said:

Welcome !  I hope you join us often.  It took me a long time to feel comfortable just posting on CC.  When I was new there were a couple of people who jumped down my throat.  I took a year off after that.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  I laughed when you said you and Steve were together, but you still felt isolated.  At one point I called a friend and said I was feeling pretty lonely and she replied that I shouldn't. I should think of our friend Anne who had to be with her long term boyfriend, Jim.  Only Anne liked Jim.  

@Cruzin Terri Glad you made it safely to Jacksonville.  I hope you can get some help tomorrow.

Debbie, the isolation was because while we were surrounded by neighbors, everyone was either keeping their distance from each other, or they were getting together and we didn't want to risk getting Covid.  We called their get togethers Covid parties.  I had to laugh about your friend Anne and the unpopular boy friend.  If you look, there is always someone who has it worse than you do.

Those people on CC you mentioned are the main reason I generally stay away from the other threads.

Lenda

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

That's how I felt my first time 😊 I have not gotten so brave w/The Tribe other than occasional comments. That's a whole other vibe. 

Then you know I am very active over at The Tribe!

• Like 8

THANK YOU ALL for the warm welcome! 

For fear of missing someone I am going to leave it at the above.

Bit about me, I am 71 and have been a full-time RVer since 2015 and continue to love the lifestyle.  Lived 40+ years in Florida and left when we retired and we now  winter in Yuma, weather is  far superior to Florida!

My partner does NO social media, me I follow a lot of blogs and a lot of CC cruisers, especially those world cruisers.  I envy their  energy!

Looking forward to continuing with everyone!

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

Welcome to the Daily!

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

I told DH he could watch whatever he wants tonight, I had to be with my Dailies. After I watched the last show of the season on Drive to Survive.

And this post may take a while.  LA.I was there in January 1977.  The year I graduated from college.  I was doing a month long study of the Native Americans of the Southwest.  It was in January, and it felt good to get out of MN for a while.  This was also the year my dad got laid off from his job of a gazillion years, so I applied for a scholarship for the bus trip from Hades.  The college I went to was a Presbyterian school, and churches across the Southwest agreed to "adopt" us as we did our travels.  Different families would take in 2-3 students for the night.  Get a shower and a good nights sleep.  Fed, etc.  It didnt really turn out that way.  When some of the churches found out we were not all Presbyterian, they decided that those who were not, could not stay with a family, and the college said, if a few cannot go, then none will go to the families.  I slept on a lot of floors of churches during that month. I mean how many people can say they slept on the floor of the Mormon Tabernacle?  But, in LA  all the families wanted the kids, so I was farmed out to a family with another girl who was from Sweden.  

Our host  Dad went out of his way to show us all the things in the LA area that we wanted to see.  I wanted to go see Johnny Carson at the tonight show.  And the other girl wanted to see San Juan Capistrano.  He accommodated both of us, we went to the show, (Johnny was not hosting that night) and then he tried to get us to scale the walls at the Capistrano.  at midnight. We did go see the Queen Mary (the ship of my very first cruise) And then he asked us for sex. In fact he said we owed him.  I turned him down, and that night I got to sleep on a pool table in a room with no windows, and got my very first migraine.  I don't know about the other girl, she got a bedroom.   But for some reason we ended up together again in San Francisco. And that was worse. The host family, not the girl.  I never ended up with my bestie, we were chosen in pairs based on our race and age and personal history.

That was my trip to LA.  

In 2022 and 2023 I worked under my boss Lisa (the boss who got laid off this year) with another woman who I had worked in the office with in Atlanta  pre covid.  Her name was Fern, and she was always appearing a bit above the rest of us, but when we worked from home, and there were only two of us in the department, we got along fine.  She loved the jackie lawson cards I would send, and we would laugh at Lisa's post, referring to her as our mom, and we the wayward children.  Our contract was with Arizona Opera.  When we were not working the opera, we still chatted amongst the three of us.  And then we heard that she had passed out and fallen, and was in a coma.  That was in the middle of 23.  I called our boss from Atlanta and told him that she had a cat, and that someone had to take care of the cat. He got in touch with the HR department and they located her sister in Savannah and she came and got the cat.

Time went on, and Fern came out of the coma, but could not walk.  I asked her if she needed anything, and where was she?  She was in a nursing home, somewhere in my county, but she did not know where she was.  I sent get well cards, she responded via text.  We texted on and off all summer, and when I got back from the Rome and home trip, she asked me one question-where have I been she wanted to know, and I told her. ( I told her about the trip before we left)

And then there was the Thanksgiving ecard, and there was no response.  The Christmas card, and no response, the New Years card and no response.  No reply to texts that Lisa and I were sending.  Today the boss who was our boss years ago before we all started working from home, sent me a text that Fern had passed away. She was two months younger than me.  It really broke my heart. This was a woman who sky dived on her 65th birthday.  She knew a lot of famous people in the African American Political world. She was a beautiful woman. She was going to live with her sister and brother in law, and she never left the nursing home. She was 69 years old.

So hug your friends, and your enemies, who might turn out to be your best friend later.

Tigger survived the trip to the vets. I had no problem putting him in the cage, or picking up the cage and putting him in the car.  It was when the car moved that the problem started. He started screaming! Meow, meow, meow, and all while DH was calling the power company to let them know that the power had gone off.  The more DH tried to give the computer our phone number, the louder Tigger cried, and the automated machine kept saying, I'm sorry I cant understand you, please give me the number again. He finally had to put in in manually.

The new vet put us in a room with the cat.  We put the cat on the table in the cage, and we sat on one little bench and both stared at him. A woman came in after 20 minutes and did a chip scan.  No chip. She asked us what we wanted done to the cat.  A physical, tests for aids, or any other infectious disease, and we want him to get neutered, and bring him in to be an indoor cat.  She picked him up and took him to another room to see the vet. (gosh I thought she was the vet) and then he was gone for about 30 minutes.  The VET brought him back, and said the same thing everyone does, he is a beautiful and sweet cat.  And he can move in once he starts using the litter box on the porch. Either way, I guess pictures should be taken soon.  And then back home, MEOW MEOW MEOW!  They gave him a treat before he left, and he really loved it!  Something in a tube called Churra.  hmmmm. Positive reinforcement.

@Cruzin TerriI am sorry to read about your friend.  One of my favorite bosses had a kidney transplant this week.  (he lives in NY, and I am not on his campaigns now) I am glad you got the tests done early.

@dfishTell your sister to enjoy the last hours of her big day, but to celebrate all week!

@HogladyriderWelcome to the best place on CC.  They let me join...giggle. I love being here.

I need to write down something when I am reading, soI can remember what I want to post, but by this time of day, all I can say is hugs, and 

313210-Good-Night-Friends-God-Bless-You-

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 6