Dawn passengers left “stranded” on African island

22 minutes ago, julig22 said:

It's not uncommon in Mexico to see people taking water-taxis to the ship when they miss the last tender.

That happened to me on my first NCL cruise. We were at Cozumel and did a full day ship’s excursion to Chichen Itza which requires the ferry to the mainland and back plus very long bus rides to/from the site. We encountered downpours on the drive back which slowed us down and caused traffic back-ups. We wound up back in Cozumel about 45 minutes after sail away time. The ship had already pulled away from the dock and was sitting waiting for our group. We had to take a little tender boat over to the ship and board from there. There were like 30 people or so in our group plus it was our last port of the trip with a sea day the following day so I’m sure those factors influenced the decision to wait.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kortehgehn said:

Is Captian Hakan Svedung still master of the Dawn?  If so, I would say there's definitely more to the story than is being reported; those types of decisions aren't arbitrary.  Either way, it's certainly not the cruise line's fault.  It's pretty clear when the departure times are; if they are "veteran cruisers," they should know that.  I think that there is obviously more to this story.

What does Captain Svedung or the Gem have to do with this situation on the Dawn?

Last I knew (several months ago), Captain Svedung was on the Joy.

2 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Is Captian Hakan Svedung still master of the Dawn?

I'm sorry. That was a mental typographical error.  We sailed with him many years ago on the Gem, but last I knew, he was on the Dawn.  He had been on the Joy previously.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Kortehgehn said:

Is Captian Hakan Svedung still master of the Dawn? 

I was on the cruise before this one. A Swedish captain,  but I don't remember the name. Ronny Borg?

Edited by Asawi

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Kortehgehn said:

Is Captian Hakan Svedung still master of the Dawn?  If so, I would say there's definitely more to the story than is being reported; those types of decisions aren't arbitrary.  Either way, it's certainly not the cruise line's fault.  It's pretty clear when the departure times are; if they are "veteran cruisers," they should know that.  I think that there is obviously more to this story.

I don't know who the captain is but yea, there's more to the story. If allowing the passengers to board the ship would have been a possibility, it would have happened.

Not too long ago I ended up spending the night in the SeaTac airport because they closed the door on me, plus 6-8 passengers coming from a delayed flight. I was there before the gate closed but there was an issue with my ticket (thanks AirCanada) and nope, not waiting. The other passengers were in sight. Nope, not waiting. And this was the last flight of the night, no connecting flight schedule to keep. But for some reason they couldn't/wouldn't wait. So it happens. Planes, trains, busses, ships don't wait.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I don't know who the captain is but yea, there's more to the story. If allowing the passengers to board the ship would have been a possibility, it would have happened.

Not too long ago I ended up spending the night in the SeaTac airport because they closed the door on me, plus 6-8 passengers coming from a delayed flight. I was there before the gate closed but there was an issue with my ticket (thanks AirCanada) and nope, not waiting. The other passengers were in sight. Nope, not waiting. And this was the last flight of the night, no connecting flight schedule to keep. But for some reason they couldn't/wouldn't wait. So it happens. Planes, trains, busses, ships don't wait.

35+ years of business traveling, and I have seen numerous instances of airlines simply "closing the door" as passengers are running to the gate, even at 10 PM, when you know the jet will overnight at the destination.

Edited by Panhandle Couple

if the story as written is correct, the actions of ncl were inexcusable. (if it was an ncl booked excursion) they are very specific that if you take an ncl excursion the ship will wait until all the people are back. while in most cases i stick up for ncl, as i think most of the complaints are really 1st world problems ( i know im opening myself up for major objections) this one, even angers me, as it could happen to any of us. Shame on you NCL and the captain of this vessel 

way to ruin a great vacation, leaving people stranded on an African island.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The more "exotic" the destination, the more likely for things like this to happen.

Honestly, how many of you have even heard of this destination before the article?

Out of 7 people, only 1 had a Visa CC?  No one thought to see what was accepted before the cruise?  No one thought to check on board what each remote country accepts?  (although potential theft on shore might be an issue here)  They spent $700 per person for...something?   Shirts and underwear?

People with daily meds took a non-sponsored tour in a remote country that might not have many English speakers?   What could go wrong?

How does this couple know the lady in the hospital hasn't had her emergency POC contacted?

Have they factored in time zone changes?  How did they meet someone in a hospital?

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, complawyer said:

if the story as written is correct, the actions of ncl were inexcusable. (if it was an ncl booked excursion)

It was NOT an NCL excursion.

There is definitely more to the story. There always is.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

“Local coast guard radioed the ship and the ship refused to respond”… yeah right. You k ow that never happened. 

What are you quoting?  Those words are not in the article referenced by OP.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

“The only way NCL has to contact their ships is via email”… and I have pacific beach front property to sell you in Oklahoma. 

The article stated that NCL customer service said that.  I thinks it's very plausible that NCL CS would say such a thing:

We sent emails to NCL, the NCL customer service emergency number, they said ‘Well, the only way for us to get in touch with the ship is to send them emails, they’re not responding to our emails, 

I do agree there is more to this story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beastlet said:

It is not "up to a point." If you book the tour through NCL, the ship will wait for you period. 

Or if the ship absolutely cannot wait for you, NCL will cover the cost of transporting you to the ship's next port of call, pay for a hotel stay if needed, and pay for your meals and any other necessary expenses you incur until you can rejoin your cruise.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Buford T Justiice said:

My question is: Why did the strandees let the tour operator off the hook and why did the tour operator's error become NCL's problem?

That is the $1,000,000 question.

Of course the answer is, it was probably some rinky-dink tour company with no significant assets and the people really have no recourse against them. They see NCL as a big target for their and the tour company's mistakes. 

Another reason to book NCL tours is your have recourse for many things. On our cruise there was a shore excursion where the boat broke and everyone was stranded for an hour, in the sun, on a rocking boat. People were getting seasick and throwing up over the side the whole time. Nothing could really salvage the day,  but NCL at least refunded the money for the shore excursion when asked. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Buford T Justiice said:

My question is: Why did the strandees let the tour operator off the hook and why did the tour operator's error become NCL's problem?

Follow the money.......

The stranded people can squeeze more compensation out of NCL or from a fauxfundme page than they'll ever get from the tour operator. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 3

I agree with some of the posters here that there are some unanswered questions about this whole issue.   

I do feel sorry for the people left behind and not having credit cards etc.   Very unfortunate for all of them. 

I sure hope that those without any funds will replay the couple who did have their credit card.  

• Like 1

I’m sure we don’t have the full story, but even so, I think that situation could have been handled better.  I’d hate to be left behind.

From the story.

“The harbor master tried to call the ship, the captain refused the call.”

“Eventually, the São Tomé and Príncipe Coast Guard loaded all eight passengers on a boat and took them to the anchored ship. They said the captain told the Coast Guard to take the passengers back to the island.”

If those two quotes are true, I guarantee you I’d be more than upset with NCL and I’d bet every NCL cheerleader on this forum would be just as ticked off at NCL if it happened to them.

Perhaps the Captain, who is just as human as the rest of us, was having a bad day and decided to be a jerk.

Regardless, I always book excursions through the cruise line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

“Eventually, the São Tomé and Príncipe Coast Guard loaded all eight passengers on a boat and took them to the anchored ship. They said the captain told the Coast Guard to take the passengers back to the island.”

Maybe a security issue? Piracy is a real thing in that neck of the woods. And I'm sure their Coast Guard boat in no way resembles one of ours.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, beastlet said:

Yes, I suppose. But you are not stranded, and any expenses will be on Norwegian's dime.

They do wait a while though. My parents were on a tour in St. Petersburg that got stuck in traffic and was hours late. When they got to the ship, the captain was standing there waiting and people were on the deck and clapped while they all got on the ship. 

We were on an NCL excursion years ago out of Cozumel to Tulum. There was heavy traffic and high winds and we (plus 200 other passengers) were 3 hours late. No exaggeration. The ship waited.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I’m sure we don’t have the full story, but even so, I think that situation could have been handled better.  I’d hate to be left behind.

From the story.

If those two quotes are true, I guarantee you I’d be more than upset with NCL and I’d bet every NCL cheerleader on this forum would be just as ticked off at NCL if it happened to them.

Perhaps the Captain, who is just as human as the rest of us, was having a bad day and decided to be a jerk.

The whole part of the story that you highlighted is janky.  It makes no sense that a Captain would refuse to talk to the Harbor Master.  Really?   Not buying it.

If the Dawn was still anchored, why did the guests have to be put on another boat to meet the Dawn.

It gets even schmaltzy mentioning the tour operator was a high school football coach along with the pictures of the happy, allegedly agrieved couple.  

This looks more an more like a shakedown of NCL by the tour operator who screwed up.  They don't want to be on the hook for the guests they could not get back to the ship on time.  I'm convinced of that, now.

• Like 8

Just now, YVRteacher said:

We were on an NCL excursion years ago out of Cozumel to Tulum. There was heavy traffic and high winds and we (plus 200 other passengers) were 3 hours late. No exaggeration. The ship waited.

NCL sponsored?

3 hours ago, beastlet said:

This is why we only take the more expensive Norwegian tours, instead of booking local tours. It clearly says if you are not back by a certain time, you can not get on the boat. If they had been on a tour booked by Norwegian the boat would have waited for them.

I don't know how I feel about this. The guidelines are pretty clear. Their tour guide should have been careful to have them back in time, and they should have been paying close attention to the the time. I don't know in reality how easy it would have been for NCL to send a boat back for them.

Guests are under the False sense of security that If you take a ship excursion they’ll wait for you if you’re late 

They’ll wait as long as they can BUT will leave you….The difference is the cruise line will pay to get you to the next port to meet back up with the ship….On a third party excursion you’d be on your own 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

From the story.

So the ship probably answered the call (a Jr officer) who then asked the Captain if he would talk to the harbor master.  Captain said no, not about this. That is refusing the call, technically, but it is worded to imply that ship never answered the call at all.  Also this is trusting the word of the harbor master.

Did the coast guard come out with weapons visible, either on person or mounted on the boat?

No Captain is going to open up a door in that instance.  Not in today's world.

The true questions not answered are:

How "late" was late?  Tender just leaving the dock, or last tender left an hour ago?  (At Cabo, we actually watched the last tender turn around and go back to the dock to get someone.) 

Did they book this tour on line beforehand, or was it purchased dock side?

Does the local tour operator also just happen to have a cousin who runs a hotel?  Who can get you in on short notice with cheap rates?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The devil's in the details and the details really don't matter, at this point.

The general public reads and concludes that big corporation NCL abandons guests in Africa. A paraplegic, a pregnant woman, a heart condition, a concussion, all abandoned by NCL without prescriptions etc. NCL refuses to help....yada, yada yada. The public (outside of cruisecritic) concludes NCL is bad.

If NCL had an opportunity to get these people on board, it should have done so. The article implies that it did, but who knows. If it did not, then so be it.

NCL to date has not disputed the story.....

On the afternoon of March 27, 2024, while the ship was in Sao Tome and Principe, an African island nation, eight guests who were on the island on their own or with a private tour missed the last tender back to the vessel, therefore not meeting the all aboard time of 3 p.m. local time. While this is a very unfortunate situation, guests are responsible for ensuring they return to the ship at the published time, which is communicated broadly over the ship’s intercom, in the daily communication and posted just before exiting the vessel. Guests are responsible for any necessary travel costs to rejoin the ship at the next available port of call. When the guests did not return to the vessel at the all aboard time, their passports were delivered to the local port agents to retrieve when they returned to the port. Our team has been working closely with the local authorities to understand the requirements and necessary visas needed if the guests were to rejoin the ship at the next available port of call. We are in communication with the guests and providing additional information as it becomes available.”

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

It`s the same every time. Guest are not following the rules and if due to this something bad happens the fault is always at the others.

There are reasons why the captain has refused reentry. He for sure didn`t make that for fun or because he was in a bad mood.

I usually prefer private tours over cruise line tours but there are regions in the world where i would always choose a cruise line excursion. And one of these regions is Africa. Apart from South africa and Egypt no other african country has significant experiences with cruise ships.

In Africa it is absolutely normal to be late.most people there do have the attitude "we are there when we are there" or "everything will become good". They don`t understand that a cruise ship will NOT wait when they return too late.

• Like 12