Exceptions to Deluxe Beverage Package Rule

Hi everyone. We're in the early stages of planning our next cruise, which sadly is still 9 months out. DH and I will be traveling with DD, who will turn 21 in June. She does not drink alcoholic beverages at all (her choice). She also happens to be on the autism spectrum. I've read that some people have had luck getting an exception made to the "everyone in the room over 21 must purchase the package" rule, but I'm wondering how exactly that works. Is it enough to say that she doesn't drink, or would we need to share that she's on the spectrum? And, if the latter, will we need to provide documentation? We would be happy to purchase the refreshment package for her as she does enjoy virgin frozen drinks and mocktails.

Thank you!

37 minutes ago, TexanSailor said:

Just call Royal, they will make you buy DD the refreshment package, but they don’t ask for any justification. 

This, can only be done on the phone, not on line.  Very easy process.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Thank you both! I'm not ready to purchase yet, but I want to be ready when the price is right!

Just to be clear, anytime you feel the price is right to purchase the packages do so, as should the price be lower later on, you can cancel and rebook at the better price without penalty.  (Up until three says prior to sailing).

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just to be clear, anytime you feel the price is right to purchase the packages do so, as should the price be lower later on, you can cancel and rebook at the better price without penalty.  (Up until three says prior to sailing).

I'm going to wait and see if the price drops to the mid $70s/person. We've learned that any higher than that and we're better off paying as we go. Obviously this varies tremendously from person to person!

Edited by LisaLisa87
  • Like 2

If there is one adult 21 or older in the room with one other guest under 21 can you opt out of a reduced drink package completely for the underage person?  ...or do they still make you get the refreshment package?

I remember when Royal didn't have this rule and all passengers could purchase drink packages separately.  To combat sharing (and increase profits) they now require both passengers over 21 to purchase (or refreshment for 2nd)  However if one of the two guests is a minor then they aren't able to share alcohol due to underage.  Does Royal still force a drink package on the underage guest?

11 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

If there is one adult 21 or older in the room with one other guest under 21 can you opt out of a reduced drink package completely for the underage person?  ...or do they still make you get the refreshment package?

I remember when Royal didn't have this rule and all passengers could purchase drink packages separately.  To combat sharing (and increase profits) they now require both passengers over 21 to purchase (or refreshment for 2nd)  However if one of the two guests is a minor then they aren't able to share alcohol due to underage.  Does Royal still force a drink package on the underage guest?

There is no requirement for the underaged passenger to purchase any package at all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Daughter is currently under 21, if the drink package is purchased now she would not be required to get the refreshment package.  Several months down the line she will turn 21, Will Royal see that someone in the cabin has just turned 21 and must now buy the refreshment package. Just curious.

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

no, under 21 and you don't have to buy anything for them

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Daughter is currently under 21, if the drink package is purchased now she would not be required to get the refreshment package.  Several months down the line she will turn 21, Will Royal see that someone in the cabin has just turned 21 and must now buy the refreshment package. Just curious.

They know based on her birth date (required when we booked the cruise) that she'll be 21 when we sail. If I go through the motions of adding the DBP to the cart, selecting any one of the 3 of us results in all 3 being selected. 😢 I'll call when the times comes.

Edited by LisaLisa87
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

They know based on her birth date (required when we booked the cruise) that she'll be 21 when we sail. If I go through the motions of adding the DBP to the cart, selecting any one of the 3 of us results in all 3 being selected. 😢 I'll call when the times comes.

Yup.  I just booked the drink package for us and my son doesn't turn 21 until next week and it made me buy it for him, which he wanted.  (I am making him pay half and I only paid the other half because he stained my deck for me.)  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, KsucAts said:

Yup.  I just booked the drink package for us and my son doesn't turn 21 until next week and it made me buy it for him, which he wanted.  (I am making him pay half and I only paid the other half because he stained my deck for me.)  

I love that! Do you have any other big projects that need to be done??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, LisaLisa87 said:

I love that! Do you have any other big projects that need to be done??

Gonna need the outside of the house painted soon.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

pretty sure that she would, it goes by your age on the first day of sailing

3 hours ago, LisaLisa87 said:

I'm going to wait and see if the price drops to the mid $70s/person. We've learned that any higher than that and we're better off paying as we go. Obviously this varies tremendously from person to person!

Did you check prices today?  Mine are down to $69.99 but the cruises are this year, not 2025.  Might be worth checking out though.

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Did you check prices today?  Mine are down to $69.99 but the cruises are this year, not 2025.  Might be worth checking out though.

Yes. Today's price is $81.99. I'd jump at $69.99!

• Like 1

Has anyone ever gotten away with one of two only willing to purchase soda package? The other deluxe package. A diet soda drinker who doesn't drink coffee, tea, or juice does not want to spend the money for no reason. 

8 hours ago, DennysDad said:

Has anyone ever gotten away with one of two only willing to purchase soda package?

If anyone did, that would be rare - all reporting suggests refreshment package is required. On board, it could be a different story.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DennysDad said:

Has anyone ever gotten away with one of two only willing to purchase soda package? The other deluxe package. A diet soda drinker who doesn't drink coffee, tea, or juice does not want to spend the money for no reason. 

I had family members try this for our cruise just 2 weeks ago. The non-alcohol drinker was required to buy the refreshment package. RCI would not allow her to purchase only the soda package.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, akcruz said:

This, can only be done on the phone, not on line.  Very easy process.

Yes.  The customer service rep will make you wait while he or she "checks with a supervisor", but they'll allow you to book one Deluxe + one Refreshment.  

20 hours ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Thank you both! I'm not ready to purchase yet, but I want to be ready when the price is right!

Three thoughts: 

- If you book now and the price goes down, you can always call in for a price match.  

- The best prices are likely to come around Thanksgiving -- last year's prices were good, but that's in no way a promise.  You well know that prices (not just on cruises) are changing so quickly these days.  

- Definitely do the math and verify whether this package is a good value for your personal habits.  You have to drink a good bit to "break even". 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes.  The customer service rep will make you wait while he or she "checks with a supervisor", but they'll allow you to book one Deluxe + one Refreshment.  

Three thoughts: 

- If you book now and the price goes down, you can always call in for a price match.  

- The best prices are likely to come around Thanksgiving -- last year's prices were good, but that's in no way a promise.  You well know that prices (not just on cruises) are changing so quickly these days.  

- Definitely do the math and verify whether this package is a good value for your personal habits.  You have to drink a good bit to "break even". 

Thanks for your input @Mum2Mercury! Since our sailing is still 9 months out and the price of the DBP is still too high for me, I'm not ready to shell out the money. I'd rather wait until the price is one I'm willing to pay. If it doesn't drop to around $75/person/day, we'll probably skip it.

I'll definitely keep an eye on prices, and I do hope that we'll see the low Black Friday prices that I've read about. We weren't able to take advantage for our last cruise since we booked in February and sailed in September.

I can't remember whether it was here or on a social media site, but someone posted a link to a drink package calculator that I've found pretty useful. Here is is, for anyone interested in checking it out:

https://cruisespotlight.com/drink-package-calculator/?