1 Day cruise

No. You can't sail from one US port to another without a stop in a DISTANT  foreign port. Vancouver doesn't come close to "distant ".

Except, if you get on a different ship for the Vancouver to Seattle leg.

• Like 2

Thanks all.  I was thinking of San Diego and Ensenada also but Holland sent me a no go notice.  Has anyone paid the fine for breaking the rule.

22 minutes ago, barbAZID said:

Thanks all.  I was thinking of San Diego and Ensenada also but Holland sent me a no go notice.  Has anyone paid the fine for breaking the rule.

HAL won't let you, so not likely a fine has been paid.  I've read that if the ships allow this to happen they can be barred from entering that port or nation again.  

Waivers have been granted for extenuating circumstances (during COVID) or localized emergencies (weather, health problem), but this is not something that anyone can just "pay the fine" to get around.  The ship operator can get in trouble also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

Distant?  Sailing in and out of San Diego and stopping in Ensenada is legal.  

A round trip merely requires a foreign port; it does not have to be a distant foreign port. 
The original question was about a cruise from San Diego to Vancouver to Seattle. Those start/end ports are not a round trip. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

Distant?  Sailing in and out of San Diego and stopping in Ensenada is legal.  

Did you read the post? A round trip out of San Diego is not the same as a one way between two US ports.

1 hour ago, barbAZID said:

HAL isn't even going to let you board, so no option to just pay the fine and break the rule.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Did you read the post? A round trip out of San Diego is not the same as a one way between two US ports.

My quibble is with the word "distant."  It has to do with different countries, not the distance between the cities.  I don't see why OP can't take a HAL cruise from San Diego to Vancouver, BC, and then get off the ship and find another cruise from Vancouver to Seattle.  US to Canada.  Canada to US.  I don't think OP was planning to take the same ship for both legs of the trip.

I'm trying to understand the object of the exercise. You could simply fly from Vancouver to Seattle or the bus or the train. You could also take the much more scenic but convoluted route by BC ferries to Victoria and the Victoria Clipper to Seattle. This option will not be cheap, but it would be an adventure.

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

My quibble is with the word "distant."  It has to do with different countries, not the distance between the cities.  I don't see why OP can't take a HAL cruise from San Diego to Vancouver, BC, and then get off the ship and find another cruise from Vancouver to Seattle.  US to Canada.  Canada to US.  I don't think OP was planning to take the same ship for both legs of the trip.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

No. You can't sail from one US port to another without a stop in a DISTANT  foreign port. Vancouver doesn't come close to "distant ".

Except, if you get on a different ship for the Vancouver to Seattle leg.

That was mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm trying to understand the object of the exercise. You could simply fly from Vancouver to Seattle or the bus or the train. You could also take the much more scenic but convoluted route by BC ferries to Victoria and the Victoria Clipper to Seattle. This option will not be cheap, but it would be an adventure.

Or Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle. 

L.

11 hours ago, barbAZID said:

Yes.  Last year in Alaska.  I recall it was fairly hefty.

10 hours ago, Kay S said:

Yes, the OP was planning on taking the same ship for both legs of the trip.  That one day cruise is how the ship transitions between the California Coastal cruise season and the Alaska cruise season, which home ports in Seattle for round trip Alaska cruises.  And, you are correct, if the OP was going to change ships, then it would be legal.

And, each of the legs, on the same ship, would be legal, separately, because the both begin or end in a foreign port, and therefore do not fall under the PVSA, since they are not domestic voyages, which is what the PVSA applies to.  It is when the two legal, foreign cruises are combined, that they become one domestic voyage from San Diego to Seattle.  And, the PVSA's definition of "distant" really has no bearing on how far apart the ports are, the definition of a "distant" foreign port is "any port not in North or Central America, the Caribbean, Bahamas, or Bermuda".

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kay S said:

Because it violates the law, which, by the way, also defines "distant ". In general, "distant" means South America or Asia. That is why ships sailing from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego MUST stop in Cartagena or the ABC Islands to meet that definition. 

And, in my reply in post #2, I noted the exception to get on a different ship to do the second leg.

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So it must officially be Spring and I guess this is the season opener PVSA thread. 

There ought to be a minimal reading comprehension criterion prior to participation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I work at Pier 91 in Seattle.  A few years back (pre-pandemic) there was a 5/6 day end of the season coastal cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles.  The day before the Vancouver sailing, there was a 1 night Seattle to Vancouver on the very same ship.  Even though it was "2" different sailings, I could not board the ship in Seattle to sail to Vancouver.  I actually had to take Amtrak up to Vancouver to board the ship the next day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Yes.  Last year in Alaska.  I recall it was fairly hefty.

That was actually someone who wanted to get off EARLY, on a sailing from Whittier to Vancouver. They wanted off in Juneau, so a violation by sailing from one US port to another without a distant foreign port stop. IIRC, it was a $700pp fine charged to the credit on file, as the people just left.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kay S said:

My quibble is with the word "distant."  It has to do with different countries, not the distance between the cities. 

Actually, it has to do with 'by definition'. The government makes rules, then defines the terms used in the rules. Those terms don't always have to make sense. 

I worked for the government long enough to learn how to just go with the flow. Fewer headaches that way. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Kay S said:

My quibble is with the word "distant."  It has to do with different countries, not the distance between the cities.

I don't think so.  That's what "foreign" is.  Marginally different continents but there are some strange exceptions, and I think some places that may be possessions of another country may have an impact.

I was on the Crystal Northwest passage cruise and places like Pond Inlet did not count even though they were far from the US but apparently Greenland did.  Not sure about Iceland but may be because Greenland is owned by Denmark.

Roy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I don't think so.  That's what "foreign" is.  Marginally different continents but there are some strange exceptions, and I think some places that may be possessions of another country may have an impact.

I was on the Crystal Northwest passage cruise and places like Pond Inlet did not count even though they were far from the US but apparently Greenland did.  Not sure about Iceland but may be because Greenland is owned by Denmark.

Roy

Which is funny, since Greenland is actually on the North American continent, so it isn't exactly by 'different continent', either. Iceland is on both the North American and European continents.

'Distant' is what the government decides it is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1