Infinite Veranda Can Closed be the Bridge

Hi:

We have a bit of a very specific question for those who have sailed in an Infinite Veranda Stateroom.

We recently learned that the window of the Veranda can be closed by the bridge in times of rough seas / bad weather.

This is creating a bit of anxiety as my wife needs full access to the outdoors. Our Aft stateroom looks to be about 100 yards down a hall to the nearest elevator / stairway which is a bit too much ground to cover when the need for “fresh air” arises (which can sometimes be often over the course if a night.

So the Question: How often (if ever) have you experienced the Infinite Veranda being closed by the Captain / Bridge?

Yes. That is starting to become clear. Unfortunately we "whiffed" on that slight technicality when selecting the stateroom. 

Have you experienced the Bridge closing the Inifinite veranda window?

The infinite window was closed twice while on a Caribbean cruise. Both times it was due to severe thunderstorms. It was the first time that we were able to sit on our veranda during a storm. Didn't mind at all. I also believe that the windows are closed when being cleaned. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, clarkgriswold said:

Yes. That is starting to become clear. Unfortunately we "whiffed" on that slight technicality when selecting the stateroom. 

Have you experienced the Bridge closing the Inifinite veranda window?

We had rain and wind while docked at FLL and Nassau   on the Ascent last month. Same was true while heading to Nassau.  There was never any closure from the bridge. We had access each time.    However, on the Beyond, the window could not be opened while in port at FLL in sunny weather.  Go figure. I guess it is the discretion of the captain.

we had it closed a few times..bad weather and windo cleaning..

They usually try to give a heads up.

( use of CC  search feature may lead to quite a few  discussions!l) 

This cabin may not be a good choice for OP.... esp at night..it can be windy  as ship moves along!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keesar said:

We had rain and wind while docked at FLL and Nassau   on the Ascent last month. Same was true while heading to Nassau.  There was never any closure from the bridge. We had access each time.    However, on the Beyond, the window could not be opened while in port at FLL in sunny weather.  Go figure. I guess it is the discretion of the captain.

This has been our experience as well. We have stayed in five different IV cabins, on every E-Class ship, most recently in January on the Ascent. While I cannot tell you the frequency and number of times on each sailing I can say that is has definitely occurred. I have seen the windows go up automatically when I had it open, and I've seen it locked when I wanted to open it. But as I previously noted there where instances where we were in port and there were very dark clouds in the distance and the windows didn't close. I don't remember it closing by itself on the Ascent in January, nor do I remember the windows closing last July on the Apex in Iceland (BTW it was a  perfect type of cabin for that itinerary). 

Clark ~ I'm with your wife....I tend to be claustrophobic (got stuck for a long time in an overcrowded elevator a few years back).  I've been in an IV once and it's not for us.  For me, it's really like a bus window (although larger). And yes, we did have the bridge close the window once on our cruise for window washing.  For me, the window is slow to close and can be a bit noisy.  A/C does go off in the cabin when the window is open.  

Your wife would likely be more comfortable in a regular balcony but those are few and far between on Edge-class ships.

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On E-class, suites, sunset verandas and porthole verandas have typical balconies accessed by a sliding door.

Perhaps you can switch to one of those categories?

• Like 4

When it is closed for cleaning (happens in port), they should put advance notice in the Compass the night before.

For weather related closures, I haven't experienced that, but I would guess it should be fairly obvious from the weather if it's a possibility. I don't know that they call all the staterooms and say "We are locking them due to weather."

40 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

On E-class, suites, sunset verandas and porthole verandas have typical balconies accessed by a sliding door.

Perhaps you can switch to one of those categories?

I was going to recommend this.  OP, call and ask X if you can swap rooms

• Like 2

On Beyond for 10 days in the Med, it was locked shut twice when we got back from short port visits, for window cleaning. I’m guessing they picked times when most passengers were off the ship. Once we’d had lunch and come back to the cabin, they were unlocked again. We didn’t have any bad weather. 

11 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

The infinite window was closed twice while on a Caribbean cruise. Both times it was due to severe thunderstorms. It was the first time that we were able to sit on our veranda during a storm. Didn't mind at all. I also believe that the windows are closed when being cleaned. 

Sorry?  Isn’t your veranda in an infinite veranda cabin INSIDE your cabin?  I would be surprised if you got wet.

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

Sorry?  Isn’t your veranda in an infinite veranda cabin INSIDE your cabin?  I would be surprised if you got wet.

I don't know what it is about IV cabins that makes some people so delusional.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I don't know what it is about IV cabins that makes some people so delusional.

I usually don’t get wet when I sit inside a room and close a window.  I see the poster is comparing a finite veranda with an infinite one.

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

The name is so misleading 

Sure, I get that, and I've referred to the naming as unfortunate on many occasions. But once inside the stateroom, any reasonable person must realize that the jig is up and there really isn't an exterior space.

Thankfully, OP has figured this out prior to sailing while there may still be options.

49 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Thank you 

long drives from Chicago 😱 

Probably the reason for the OP's screenname, since all of their vacation trips will have to involve long drives in a car.

• Haha 1