So there you are, having a nice dinner in the MSC Butcher's Cut specialty restaurant, when this happens...

Stockjock

Posted (edited)

A small, quasi-marching band visits your restaurant during dinner.  

How would you feel about it?

A. Hey, why not?  It's kind of fun!

B. Um, this is supposed to be an upscale specialty restaurant & we're trying to have a relaxing dinner.  Not exactly the place for a quasi-marching band.

C. Something else (explain,)

Edited by Stockjock

35 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

A small, quasi-marching band visits your restaurant during dinner.  

How would you feel about it?

A. Hey, why not?  It's kind of fun!

B. Um, this is supposed to be an upscale specialty restaurant & we're trying to have a relaxing dinner.  Not exactly the place for a quasi-marching band.

C. Something else (explain,)

Obviously a mariachi band that got lost on their way to Hola!  I'd point them in the right direction. 

I spent many years in a marching band and no years in a mariachi band.  This, despite the Sousa, is nothing except an abomination:  wrong instrumentation, too loud, shabby playing, and no marching!

59 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

I spent many years in a marching band and no years in a mariachi band.  This, despite the Sousa, is nothing except an abomination:  wrong instrumentation, too loud, shabby playing, and no marching!

That's why I wrote "quasi."  As a side note, I was the announcer for a marching band, back when.

Going out on a limb here...

• They are not very good. Clearly not MSC house musicians.
  • Probably brought on board as a trial gig.
  • Based on the looks of the passengers, I'd say this is a Med cruise.
  • MSC's Med cruises embark and disembark throughout the cruise, so even better for a quick on-and-off for some trial entertainment.

How did I do, Stockjock?

I can't even believe it...that kind of thing drives me crazy. I know there are others who enjoy that kind of thing...RC and carnival waiters sing and dance in the main dining room....not a fan. 

A to the general question. It's kind of fun. Some live music is nice and entertaining.

C By the end of the video it sounds like it turned into a sing along. That gets a big no from my side, I would not appreciate that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, carlmm said:

A to the general question. It's kind of fun. Some live music is nice and entertaining.

C By the end of the video it sounds like it turned into a sing along. That gets a big no from my side, I would not appreciate that.

LOL....our subways (NYC) are filled with roving musicians...that sound a lot better.  Seriously, I'd expect a more subdued atmosphere in Butcher's Cut...let's say a violinist would have been nice.  

13 hours ago, no1talks said:

Going out on a limb here...

• They are not very good. Clearly not MSC house musicians.
  • Probably brought on board as a trial gig.
  • Based on the looks of the passengers, I'd say this is a Med cruise.
  • MSC's Med cruises embark and disembark throughout the cruise, so even better for a quick on-and-off for some trial entertainment.

How did I do, Stockjock?

Not sure who the musicians are.

Not sure if it was a trial gig.

It was a Med cruise.

Not sure if they got off or not.

But a buddy and I did a couple of specialty restaurants on Celebrity last year, and the service and  atmosphere was First Class, particularly in Murano Restaurant, which was so impressive.  Pretty good service in Butcher's Cut, but not in the same league, and really, I didn't need to have a band marching through the restaurant during dinner.  Others obviously might feel differently.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I've had dinner in Butcher's Cut on Meraviglia on two separate sailings.  While the restaurant and food was good, I definitely would not call it an "upscale" specialty restaurant.  When we were there (both times) fellow diners were in shorts and t-shirts.......nothing "upscale" about that at all.  I do, however, notice that your wife is properly dressed for an "upscale" restaurant (and she looks great - I tend to "dress" for dinner every night while on a cruise).  But I don't think that Butcher's Cut is at all upscale.  As you point out --- Murano on Celebrity and Butcher's Cut are like comparing apples to oranges.  However, bear in mind that not all "specialty" dining on Celebrity is upscale (but Murano definitely is, in my opinion). 

How do I feel about a marching band coming through the dining room during dinner?  I'm not a fan.  I think it's probably not any different than having a great meal in Fine Cut Steakhouse on any of the Celebrity Edge class ships while listening to the very, very loud "Martini Bar Show" taking place below (Fine Cut overlooks and is open to the Grand Plaza, where the Martini Bar is located). 

Edited by jcpc
  • Like 1

I'd just add that to my reasons for having a low opinion of BC. The worst dining experience I've ever had on a ship was BC on Meraviglia. Ive been to a couple of other BC on other ships, there's just nothing special about it for me.

We were forced to eat in BC one evening on our last sailing due to the YC restaurant being closed, the second worst dining experience I've had on a ship. People singing would just exacerbate the experience. 

• Like 1

I would probably have enjoyed it as I am a go with the flow type of person.  My dh and I thought Butcher's Cut was one of the better steakhouses on a ship.  Of course we've only sailed on NCL and RC so can't compare to the other Cruiselines.  This is not something that would bother us at all.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thistimeplease said:

I would probably have enjoyed it as I am a go with the flow type of person.  My dh and I thought Butcher's Cut was one of the better steakhouses on a ship.  Of course we've only sailed on NCL and RC so can't compare to the other Cruiselines.  This is not something that would bother us at all.

I also thought Butcher's Cut was very good.  I'd improve the plating presentation, skip the bands, and possibly elevate the decor a touch, if it was up to me.  The food quality is pretty solid, imo.  Service was also pretty decent.

In terms of plating, it seems as if many of the entrees are served without much attention to aesthetic presentation, and the items served often look pretty lonely, alone, or nearly so, on a huge plate.  I've attached a couple of photos as examples.

IMG_1315.jpeg

IMG_1319.jpeg

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 4