"The Key" Enchantment of the seas, worth it?

Posted (edited)

Enchantment of the seas out of Tampa - has anyone done "The Key" and is it worth it?  

Do you get into your stateroom before everyone else?  We have 2 small kids, 1 and 5.  Wondering if it would be good to get it.

Edited by Williamsburgcruiser

"The Key" program is truly dependent on your own specific situation as to whether or not it's "worth it."

As a solo traveler, it was only $3/day more than the price of the internet I was already getting and gave me a chance to have a really nice lunch with folks on embarkation, which helped throughout the trip as I was able to connect with a few folks on an otherwise quiet vacation. RCL also took my carry on baggage once onbaord and brought it to my cabin early for me.

For families, the Key is likely not worth it unless your cruise has a lot of tender ports (and even then, meh). 

It's all in your unique circumstance as to the value, but definitely keep an eye out for any sales.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Williamsburgcruiser said:

Enchantment of the seas out of Tampa - has anyone done "The Key" and is it worth it?  

Do you get into your stateroom before everyone else?  We have 2 small kids, 1 and 5.  Wondering if it would be good to get it.

Obviously you have your answer...no will not be able to get into your cabin early.  But here is a suggestion, you may or may not like.  Arrive later when the cabins are opening up, then you can simply go to your cabin right after embarkation.  

• Like 4

So here is a way to break it down and decide if it is worth it to you. You are traveling with 2 kids under 6, so they don't get the key, meaning your cost is for 2 people. So questions to ask yourself:

1) Do you need internet and what is that going to cost?

2) Will you enjoy the lunch and breakfast for Key guests?

3) Do you have tendered ports?

4) Will you use the priority seating at shows and will you use the special times for Key guests for other amenities?

Then look at what each of those things is worth. With young kids dropping bags and getting priority for tenders (if you have tendered ports) would be great but it might also make sense to grab lunch and then go to the port later and walk straight to your room. I have done this with my family because they wanted to hit a tourist spot for lunch and we got in late the night before and the crowds onboard previously made lunch onboard harder when they were young.

For me to get the Key for our upcoming trip it would be for 4 because even though we have 2 rooms, the teens would lose it if we went to that lunch without them. So for us I put the value of that lunch and breakfast at about $40 per person. We have no tenders but the other perks I value at $10 per person. So cost of Key - (cost of internet + $50). If the Key is cheaper we will get it. If not it isn't necessary. Our upcoming trip I booked a specialty restaurant for lunch on day 1 and internet for way less than what the Key is .

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, scubaslayer said:

So here is a way to break it down and decide if it is worth it to you. You are traveling with 2 kids under 6, so they don't get the key, meaning your cost is for 2 people. So questions to ask yourself:

1) Do you need internet and what is that going to cost?

2) Will you enjoy the lunch and breakfast for Key guests?

3) Do you have tendered ports?

4) Will you use the priority seating at shows and will you use the special times for Key guests for other amenities?

Then look at what each of those things is worth. With young kids dropping bags and getting priority for tenders (if you have tendered ports) would be great but it might also make sense to grab lunch and then go to the port later and walk straight to your room. I have done this with my family because they wanted to hit a tourist spot for lunch and we got in late the night before and the crowds onboard previously made lunch onboard harder when they were young.

For me to get the Key for our upcoming trip it would be for 4 because even though we have 2 rooms, the teens would lose it if we went to that lunch without them. So for us I put the value of that lunch and breakfast at about $40 per person. We have no tenders but the other perks I value at $10 per person. So cost of Key - (cost of internet + $50). If the Key is cheaper we will get it. If not it isn't necessary. Our upcoming trip I booked a specialty restaurant for lunch on day 1 and internet for way less than what the Key is .

Where do key members have breakfast?  Is that also in a specialty restaurant?

12 minutes ago, marycruz said:

There is a special breakfast on disembarktation day. I don't know where it is though. It is just listed in the benefits. I believe the special lunch on embarktation is in the MDR but I'm not sure and things may vary by ship.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, marycruz said:

Lunch is the only thing I know of on embarkation day.  Breakfast is being served for pax disembarking.  You won't get on the ship early enough for breakfast on that day. 

Edited by island lady

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Arrive later when the cabins are opening up, then you can simply go to your cabin right after embarkation.  

This is the true "life pro tip" that I also discovered on my last cruise. Arrive around 1pm and walk straight through onboard to your room without stopping once you hit the port. Hassle and crowd free to boot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, notscb said:

This is the true "life pro tip" that I also discovered on my last cruise. Arrive around 1pm and walk straight through onboard to your room without stopping once you hit the port. Hassle and crowd free to boot.

If I was driving to the port, I'd do this.

But for those of us flying in, better to be on the ship first thing than mill around at the hotel.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, notscb said:

It's what we do normally.  Did used to go to specialty but got very bored of Chops lunch.  It's cheaper to grab a burger at the airport or near hotel.  Either fly in day of or night before and take our time.  If we drive, we stop to eat.  I love after 1pm boarding because no lines at check in.  And just walk to room and drop off carryon.  We now do late check out if we get a hotel and wander over.  Recently we were in Sydney and walked around Circular quay and the Opera house before we got our stuff to head over to board.  I don't know when I'll be back in Sydney and that was more exciting then getting an 11am check in time.

• Like 2

My experience of The Key:

- The Voom internet you can obviously buy for less money, but sometimes the prices are quite close. The caveat is that even if you buy The Key for two people in a cabin, you only get the internet for one device

- The reserved seating for shows is nice if you're the sort of person who likes to get to the show with the minimum of time. The caveat here is that the seating is "reserved" not "premium". For Royal Theater it's at the front of the balcony, and for Studio B it's a little section high and to the side of the rink - not very good seats actually. But for the Aqua Theater (on SY at least) the Key seats were fantastic - right in the middle of the action. Sitting in your premium seat relaxing with your cocktail, while the "plebs" (jk!) are stuck queueing behind the chains makes you feel special.

- The little plate of fruit in your room is nice, but on our last sailing it was not as fresh as it could be...

- The early check in is good, especially for people like me who aren't the sort to hang around on the website hitting refresh on the first day that checkin opens.

- Similarly, you get "any time" disembarkation with checked baggage, which is nice if you're not the sort of person who likes to hit refresh and book the first possible slot.

- The embarkation lunch and disembarkation breakfast are the best thing about it by far - the lunch is a Chops selection and there's nothing better to kick your holiday off than a luxury meal. Of course, since you pay per day for The Key, the value goes down when you are on a more extended cruise, as you'll only get two meals.

- Delivering your carry-ons to your room might be nice if you are keen to hit the pool deck as soon as possible. Personally, I prefer to take mine to the room so we can change out of travel clothes into something nicer.

Quite a few of these are similar to suite benefits, so having the Key with a suite booking may be a waste of money.

We've had The Key on our two cruises so far (SY and AN) and have been pleased. We're doing the Anthem 2-day without it next week, so I'll be able to provide a compare-and-contrast.

If you're first-time cruisers looking to make the trip as special as possible, it's worth it.

If you're experienced cruisers who know precisely where, when and how to maximise your value, it's probably not going to give you much that you can't achieve with careful planning and some ninja website refreshing!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Smiley_Man said:

even if you buy The Key for two people in a cabin, you only get the internet for one device

Is this true ?  I thought everyone who purchases the Key (which is everyone in the cabin) gets a 1 device plan.  I have never used the Key so I don't know, but that's what I thought....

The cabins are ready at around 13.00. The Key includes a lunch on embarkation day. For me it was worth it. Boarding was a breeze and I could have a nice lunch on a relaxed atmosphere. The internet that comes with it is also quite good. I am not sure if for a family it makes sense though. 

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

Is this true ?  I thought everyone who purchases the Key (which is everyone in the cabin) gets a 1 device plan.  I have never used the Key so I don't know, but that's what I thought....

Definitely only one device per stateroom.

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

My husband and I both got it the one time we bought the key.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So the email says "1 per guest" but I distinctly remember the letter you get on board only allowing one activation.

I'll dig around and see if I've got the letter. Quite miffed now as I paid for internet on the last cruise (lots of sea days...)

Mods, if you're able to edit my submissions for r/confidentlywrong, I'd appreciate it!

Edited by Smiley_Man
Asked mods to alter

3 hours ago, Smiley_Man said:

The caveat is that even if you buy The Key for two people in a cabin, you only get the internet for one device

3 hours ago, RFerrington said:

1 hour ago, Smiley_Man said:

Definitely only one device per stateroom.

This is completely false information. We have purchased the Key several times.

Each purchaser of the Key gets their own activation for internet.  So, if there are two people in the cabin who have purchased the Key there are two internet activations available. If there are three purchasers in the cabin you get three, etc... 

Each purchaser can also use multiple devices however, they can only use one device at a time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Smiley_Man said:

My experience of The Key:

- The Voom internet you can obviously buy for less money, but sometimes the prices are quite close. The caveat is that even if you buy The Key for two people in a cabin, you only get the internet for one device

- The reserved seating for shows is nice if you're the sort of person who likes to get to the show with the minimum of time. The caveat here is that the seating is "reserved" not "premium". For Royal Theater it's at the front of the balcony, and for Studio B it's a little section high and to the side of the rink - not very good seats actually. But for the Aqua Theater (on SY at least) the Key seats were fantastic - right in the middle of the action. Sitting in your premium seat relaxing with your cocktail, while the "plebs" (jk!) are stuck queueing behind the chains makes you feel special.

- The little plate of fruit in your room is nice, but on our last sailing it was not as fresh as it could be...

- The early check in is good, especially for people like me who aren't the sort to hang around on the website hitting refresh on the first day that checkin opens.

- Similarly, you get "any time" disembarkation with checked baggage, which is nice if you're not the sort of person who likes to hit refresh and book the first possible slot.

- The embarkation lunch and disembarkation breakfast are the best thing about it by far - the lunch is a Chops selection and there's nothing better to kick your holiday off than a luxury meal. Of course, since you pay per day for The Key, the value goes down when you are on a more extended cruise, as you'll only get two meals.

- Delivering your carry-ons to your room might be nice if you are keen to hit the pool deck as soon as possible. Personally, I prefer to take mine to the room so we can change out of travel clothes into something nicer.

Quite a few of these are similar to suite benefits, so having the Key with a suite booking may be a waste of money.

We've had The Key on our two cruises so far (SY and AN) and have been pleased. We're doing the Anthem 2-day without it next week, so I'll be able to provide a compare-and-contrast.

If you're first-time cruisers looking to make the trip as special as possible, it's worth it.

If you're experienced cruisers who know precisely where, when and how to maximise your value, it's probably not going to give you much that you can't achieve with careful planning and some ninja website refreshing!

We personally could care less when we board now and usually pick later times.  I remember last year prior to sailing on the Vision I happened to be awake at 1130pm and decided to just watch tv until midnight and check in.  I don't remember hitting refresh at all or having problems.  This is definitely something new as I was even able to check in for a Celebrity cruise during a sea day last month somewhere between Fiji and American samoa using NCL wifi.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1