Formal night Enchanted Princess, conflicting information

Lorenky

Hello. We’ve booked our first Princess cruise on the Enchanted Princess in January, 10 night Southern Caribbean. We’re very excited.  We’ve been reading about formal night, and from what I’m reading on Cruise Critic the formal night wear varies greatly and doesn’t require a suit and tie or formal dress. My husband was planning on slacks and shoes with a button down shirt, and a tie if he has to. I was planning on black slacks and shoes with a flowy blouse. But when I spoke to a Princess representative she was clear that this would not be formal enough, and that my husband needed a jacket and I needed a cocktail dress at the minimum, or the maitre d might turn us away. Is this true?  The information on the app is consistent with what she said, but everything said on cruise critic indicates that what we were planning on wearing would be fine. Any thoughts on how to prepare for formal night? Thanks!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lorenky said:

I spoke to a Princess representative she was clear that this would not be formal enough, and that my husband needed a jacket and I needed a cocktail dress at the minimum, or the maitre d might turn us away. Is this true? 

It’s true in the way that it’s true if you buy a Powerball ticket you might win The Jackpot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Lorenky said:

Hello. We’ve booked our first Princess cruise on the Enchanted Princess in January, 10 night Southern Caribbean. We’re very excited.  We’ve been reading about formal night, and from what I’m reading on Cruise Critic the formal night wear varies greatly and doesn’t require a suit and tie or formal dress. My husband was planning on slacks and shoes with a button down shirt, and a tie if he has to. I was planning on black slacks and shoes with a flowy blouse. But when I spoke to a Princess representative she was clear that this would not be formal enough, and that my husband needed a jacket and I needed a cocktail dress at the minimum, or the maitre d might turn us away. Is this true?  The information on the app is consistent with what she said, but everything said on cruise critic indicates that what we were planning on wearing would be fine. Any thoughts on how to prepare for formal night? Thanks!

Most of the call center reps. are clueless. I have my doubts they have ever stepped foot on a Princess ship. I always wear dockers and a golf style shirt and my wife always wears slacks and a fancy top with a lot of bling. Every night.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ignore what you have been told. I cruise 3-4,times a year on Princess and I do not even own a tie. I am on the Ruby right now and I dress the same every evening. Crew pants and a short sleeve buttoned shirt. No need to pack a jacket unless you want to

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Lorenky My opinion. Keep reading cc and what passengers are really wearing on formal nights in the dining rooms,not specialty, casual, or buffet. Make your own opinion,seems you have read enough to know. You definitely have a long time to decide what clothing you are bringing,since your cruise is not until January 2025. And goodness knows -there are plenty of dress code threads on cruise critic. Have no idea what Princess rep you talked to or where they were ( location)assuming you called the 800 number, honestly most of them have never set foot on a ship, and again my opinion only -they don’t know what’s happening .

You will definitely get a bunch of opinions on this topic and a few facts.

You will be appropriate to dine in the dining room with what you stated. Honestly the ship restaurant “ fashion police” are not in the business to turn you away to dine unless it is really out of line. They have so much more on their “ plate” to deal with.- my opinion.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That Princess rep was not correct.  You are both fine with long pants and a nice shirt or blouse.  Believe me, you won’t feel in the least bit out of place.  
PS .. with a button down short, the tie is optional.  No jacket required.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As long as you meet the standard for smart casual nights you can be sure of being able to eat in the MDR. Princess requests that people adhere to the formal night dress code, but it is not required. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have sailed on 20 + Princess cruises.  When we first started, we would dress up (no tux).  He wore a suit and tie on formal nights and I wore sparkly pants and fancy blouse.  Now it's unlikely to see a whole lot of people wearing tuxes and fancy dresses.  It sure makes packing a whole lot easier.  Now, on formal nights my husband wears nice pants with a collared shirt and tie. I wear black dress pants and a nice blouse.  If you want to dress fancy you will not be alone.  I would say probably less than 15% go fancy.  I have seen a few times where people wearing shorts have been turned away from main dining room.  I was on Enchanted the entire month of February this year and people generally wear nice casual. 

Now, I'll be getting a lot of hate messages.  Please be nice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lorenky said:

the formal night wear varies greatly and doesn’t require a suit and tie or formal dress.

Correct.

4 hours ago, Lorenky said:

But when I spoke to a Princess representative she was clear that this would not be formal enough, and that my husband needed a jacket and I needed a cocktail dress at the minimum, or the maitre d might turn us away. Is this true?

it's a lie. I've seen people wearing shorts and even they weren't turned away.

Smart casual is plenty.

2 hours ago, candy4040 said:

Now, I'll be getting a lot of hate messages. 

pfft, no. I agree with you. 🙂

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, skynight said:

You will not be turned away. 

In 30+ Princess cruises I have seen someone turned away only once.  A guy in shorts on formal night.  We sat with a man once who wore overalls and flannel shirts every night, including formal, and no one challenged him.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lorenky said:

Nope.  Not true.  He will be fine.

• Thanks 1

It's really a shame that someone can't call Princess directly and get a straight answer. As others have mentioned, the rep you talked to probably hasn't even sailed on a Princess ship before and has no idea to what the current dress code is like. 

It sounds like their just reading you what is published in their playbook of answers to give the public. 

Just listen to what the CC members have to say and you'll be fine on any ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, candy4040 said:

I have sailed on 20 + Princess cruises.  When we first started, we would dress up (no tux).  He wore a suit and tie on formal nights and I wore sparkly pants and fancy blouse.  Now it's unlikely to see a whole lot of people wearing tuxes and fancy dresses.  It sure makes packing a whole lot easier.  Now, on formal nights my husband wears nice pants with a collared shirt and tie. I wear black dress pants and a nice blouse.  If you want to dress fancy you will not be alone.  I would say probably less than 15% go fancy.  I have seen a few times where people wearing shorts have been turned away from main dining room.  I was on Enchanted the entire month of February this year and people generally wear nice casual. 

Now, I'll be getting a lot of hate messages.  Please be nice.

No shade!  You are absolutely right!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Kay S said:

In 30+ Princess cruises I have seen someone turned away only once.  A guy in shorts on formal night.  We sat with a man once who wore overalls and flannel shirts every night, including formal, and no one challenged him.

We saw the exact same outfit on a man, every night, on our first Princess cruise on the Ruby in 2010!
And then on "White Night" a whole table of 10 came to the dining room in the white robes from their cabins!  They were not turned away!

Edited by suzyed
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, 555 said:

It's really a shame that someone can't call Princess directly and get a straight answer. As others have mentioned, the rep you talked to probably hasn't even sailed on a Princess ship before and has no idea to what the current dress code is like. 

It sounds like their just reading you what is published in their playbook of answers to give the public. 

I understand and agree.  Even if the rep were familiar with actual practice I'm not surprised if they are required to stay with the "official" written suggested dress.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 555 said:

It's really a shame that someone can't call Princess directly and get a straight answer.

Call Princess twice and get three different answers.  😝  It's true that CC people are a more accurate source of info (in most cases.)

• Like 2

We were on Discovery this past november and formal night was more of an optional attire. People were more smart casual and maybe a step down from that. 

I was more casual and threw on a string of pearls and I'm in!

My husband was a nice button down shirt with slacks.

We saw suits but no tuxes. It has truly gotten alot more casual. 

Do as you please kinda vibe.

Just off Emerald Princess. Lots of people with Hawaiian shirts and shorts for dinner even in Reserve seating on formal night.

Didn’t bother me a bit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 555 said:

We cannot expect a Princess rep to provide any other answer other than what is published in their FAQs.  I do not fault the rep at all in this situation.  The OP really had no need to call PCL and ask because they do publish quite clearly what they are looking for.  The disconnect is between the Ivory Tower folks and reality on the ships.  Now, there is no doubt the senior mgmt is well aware of the situation since they do spend time on the ships.  The CC membership will always have the latest and greatest in regards to reality of any situation on the ships.

I think it is quite clear that PCL is keeping a foot in both camps by relaxing the clothing recommendations while at the same time welcoming those who wish to continue the formal night traditions.  Many say it helps sell more photos which is a profit center.

• Like 1

just got off Enchanted yesterday and on formal night i would say maybe 5% were formal, tux, formal dress, etc, 40% jacket and tie, nice dress, 40% jacket no tie, nice dress, the rest maybe slacks and polo, casual dress.  my guesstimate.  only thing i didnt see is shorts...

• Like 1