Aquaclass - is the service better than the food?

luminae is supposed to be the more elevated experience..not the way we see it..

blu is healthier.. food is not over salted or  swimming in gravy and sauce!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xxpinksaltxx said:

We only ate in Blu twice, because of the menu. On that particular day, there was no beef, chicken or fish, that just seems odd to me. Sometimes you just want something simple, so we would go to the MDR because they have the classic options available. 

This is the challenge of Blu and Luminae. They were designed to be upscale "restaurants" but they're actually the assigned dining room for Aqua and the Retreat. In both cases I feel they have a somewhat adventurous menu that I really enjoy. I'm OK with no beef; they had lamb. There has been the occasional yelling and screaming around here about chicken being on the menu, which is a little odd. Seafood has been hit and miss on Celebrity in general. Fish is almost universally overcooked (it's prepared banquet style). We did a 10-day cruise in the Retreat in November and there was a point where I wanted something simpler. Our outlet was Sushi on 5. We've been known to go the OVC when we've just had too much.

It's a challenge to provide the dining experience they espouse and still "be a place to eat". We go to NYC fairly regularly, but we've been known to just grab a wrap at a bodega and skip yet another great but heavy meal...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xxpinksaltxx said:

We only ate in Blu twice, because of the menu. On that particular day, there was no beef, chicken or fish, that just seems odd to me. Sometimes you just want something simple, so we would go to the MDR because they have the classic options available. 

Check the everyday menu. Classic options are there. 

• Like 1

We're just back from our 10th X cruise, all AQ. We pay the extra mostly because of Blu. This trip (11 nights on Infinity) our waiter always was ready with the MDR menu. We did a lot of mixing and matching, a little from one, a little from the other. Once nothing much appealed and I had all appetizers. Escargot, shrimp cocktail and French onion soup makes for a nice meal. They really make it easy, especially when you can check the menus on the app earlier in the day. Nothing looks good? Put on a pair of shorts and head to the OVC. Always something there that works.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 7:43 AM, luv2cruzuk said:

I’ve just returned from 14 nights onboard Celebrity Eclipse. I used the move up program to successfully bid on an Aquaclass stateroom. 

What are people’s thoughts on the food quality and selection in Blu?

I found myself ordering from the main restaurant menu while in Blu more often than not. Does anyone else do this?

I can’t fault the service in Blu. Some of the best I’ve had at sea!

I’ve made a video about my experience, it is quite a long video but if you’re interested in seeing the food quality then it might be worth a watch. Wait till you see the “afternoon tea!” 🤣

I enjoyed the video, Thank you.
Do you happen to have any cabin pictures/review to post, please?

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 5:21 PM, markeb said:

Is there anything in the video? The poster runs a YouTube channel. Most of his posts on Cruise Critic embed his YouTube videos. He gets paid based on clicks. I don't click.

We've only cruised Aqua once and really enjoyed Blu. But that was 8(!) years ago so can't really comment on today. The menus in the app look very good. Something other than typical cruise food, and things I wouldn't make at home. There was something every night that I'd try. Frequently more than one.

Hello! I literally get paid a few pounds, that’s certainly not my driver. The channel is a little hobby. I’m lucky enough to take lots of cruises and started doing cabin reviews so people could get information etc The food reviews are just a bit of fun and a light hearted look at some of the food options onboard. Nothing serious.

In anycase, thanks for the comments. David

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CruiseDad-NYC said:

I just got off 3 weeks on the Eclipse (1 week in Aqua Class from Buenos Aires to Rio and then 2 weeks not in Aqua Class for Rio to New York) and wrote about it in 2 separate reviews that I posted recently.

I was not impressed with Blu after having had high expectations and I agree with your assessment.  The service was really good, but not noticeably better than the MDR where the service was also really good even though we did My Time Dining.  The food was not better in my opinion, just different (and even then sometimes items on the Blu menu were the same as the MDR).  Where we thought Blu was much better was the ability to walk in any time and sit down  with no line  and it was definitely calmer and less frenetic (not sure if is always like that, but it was our experience).

The only time we ordered food that wasn't on the Blu menu was at breakfast.  We word order oatmeal, which wasn't on the menu but should have been.  Our server would get it for us, but it took quite a long time each time.

It would be so nice if Blu were a truly more elevated dining experience, but it just wasn't in my experience.  I would pay $100 pp more per week for it just to be able to have dinner without a wait.  But, I wouldn't pay more for that.

Haha! We were on the same cruise from Rio to NYC! We had a great time.

Thanks for commenting. Good to hear your comparisons. 

David

52 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I enjoyed the video, Thank you.
Do you happen to have any cabin pictures/review to post, please?

Hi and thanks for watching the video. The cabin review is here for you to watch if you like.

Best wishes, David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luv2cruzuk said:

Hello! I literally get paid a few pounds, that’s certainly not my driver. The channel is a little hobby. I’m lucky enough to take lots of cruises and started doing cabin reviews so people could get information etc The food reviews are just a bit of fun and a light hearted look at some of the food options onboard. Nothing serious.

In anycase, thanks for the comments. David

This was one of the best video reviews that I've seen. I will happily click to support the content.

I noticed that you were on the Anthem a couple of years ago as well. Our last cruise was on Anthem and upcoming cruise is on Eclipse. How do the two compare in your opinion?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mkmaj said:

This was one of the best video reviews that I've seen. I will happily click to support the content.

I noticed that you were on the Anthem a couple of years ago as well. Our last cruise was on Anthem and upcoming cruise is on Eclipse. How do the two compare in your opinion?

Thank you so much for the kind comments, I really appreciate it.

I loved Anthem. I’ve also sailed Quantum and love that class of ship. Anthem and Eclipse are very different, however I would certainly sail on either again. The Eclipse is very much a ‘classic’ cruise experience. ‘Classic’ doesn’t mean boring. It’s very relaxing, has great outdoor spaces (and indoor for that matter), good food and wonderful crew. Yes, she looks a little rough in a few places, but still a sound ship. She’s also going for a refurb March 2025.

Thanks again for watching and enjoy your time on Celebrity Eclipse. David

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2024 at 8:13 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

To piggyback off this, I was pretty much thinking the same.  The biggest advantage to Blu is the ability to order off both the Blu and MDR menus yet some ships (perhaps per the M'Ds request?) restrict MDR ordering.  Blu's food is the same quality as the MDR however you get some more premium selections.  On a typical 7 nighter, assuming nothing recently changed, Blu will offer filet, duck, and lamb at least twice.  Also, assuming nothing recently changed, you can get as many lobster tails as you want for free

I didn't watch the video yet if the topic is appealing, I'll happily watch an individual's YT video.  In this case, it's a double whammy no as it's long and I really don't care what others think about the food.  If a first-time X cruiser says the mast grill burger should be awarded 3 Michelin stars, it doesn't change my actual opinion that I believe it's the worst complimentary burger served on a mass-market cruise line.  X doesn't seem to care that Carnival puts out a good burger.  I've always thought they should spend the money on comfort food items so one is more likely to fill up on it and eat less at the MDR which I'd imagine the MDR food is more costly

I read somewhere that the Mast Grill burgers have improved.  I hope that is true, because otherwise I would agree 100%, maybe quibbling with the word ‘complimentary…’ yes, the burgers at Mast Grill are at no additional charge, but they deserve no compliments whatsoever.  ;  - )

image.png.af67a1fdef39f60ef0c2e4138fbcc29c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are just off the 4 night sailing this past week in Aqua. Booked because it was half the price per day it is on most Celebrity sailings.Absolutely LOVED Blu !!! First night had filet mignon and the second night rack of lamb. Celebrity has eliminated both from ALL MDR menus !!! Third night was Tuscan (Murano was sold out) and last night was Lawn Club Grill. Absolutely amazing dining experience !!!

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 3:57 PM, xxpinksaltxx said:

As does Blu.

7 hours ago, manmachine said:

I read somewhere that the Mast Grill burgers have improved.  I hope that is true, because otherwise I would agree 100%, maybe quibbling with the word ‘complimentary…’ yes, the burgers at Mast Grill are at no additional charge, but they deserve no compliments whatsoever.  ;  - )

image.png.af67a1fdef39f60ef0c2e4138fbcc29c.png

The burgers were just about ok. Nothing like they used to be and heaven forbid if you ask for a cheeseburger! Literally a few flakes of cheese on top. It was embarrassing! 

2 hours ago, luv2cruzuk said:

The burgers were just about ok. Nothing like they used to be and heaven forbid if you ask for a cheeseburger! Literally a few flakes of cheese on top. It was embarrassing! 

If you like their pizza, you will like the burgers.  😀

4 hours ago, luv2cruzuk said:

Interesting comment.  On Millennium they were making every burger as a cheese burger with a full slice of cheese.  If you did not want cheese on yours, you had to make sure and tell them. 

IMHO they could improve those burgers tremendously by changing the bun. The bun, while okay, is just too dry and flakes/falls apart too easily. 

16 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

We are just off the 4 night sailing this past week in Aqua. Booked because it was half the price per day it is on most Celebrity sailings.Absolutely LOVED Blu !!! First night had filet mignon and the second night rack of lamb. Celebrity has eliminated both from ALL MDR menus !!! Third night was Tuscan (Murano was sold out) and last night was Lawn Club Grill. Absolutely amazing dining experience !!!

I just tried AQ for 8 nights on Reflection.  It's my new go to since suite prices have headed to the stratosphere.  Loved it!

• Like 4

I watched a youtube video on the Ascent recently, and the reviewer said they recently changed the Blu menu.  I haven't been on Celebrity since October 2023, has the menu changed?  I am a vegetarian and they also offered me the vegetarian menu.

On 5/22/2024 at 7:25 PM, mrgabriel said:

Check the everyday menu. Classic options are there. 

Can someone clarify how the menus in Blu work?  It seems you can order from Blu's menu or the menus of the MDR?  Do you get all the menus given to you or do you have to ask or how does it work?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 7:43 AM, luv2cruzuk said:

I’ve just returned from 14 nights onboard Celebrity Eclipse. I used the move up program to successfully bid on an Aquaclass stateroom. 

What are people’s thoughts on the food quality and selection in Blu?

I found myself ordering from the main restaurant menu while in Blu more often than not. Does anyone else do this?

I can’t fault the service in Blu. Some of the best I’ve had at sea!

I’ve made a video about my experience, it is quite a long video but if you’re interested in seeing the food quality then it might be worth a watch. Wait till you see the “afternoon tea!” 🤣

I found myself the one and only time in AQ ordering from mdr as nothing much appealed to me.  I don't eat anything from the water or nuts so it did play a factor.  I did try a couple of dishes meat related and just wasn't a fan.  

Service wise, well, I think Celebrity is pretty good in any cabin class.  We have had everything except the Retreat and no complaints or differences in MDR, buffet, specialty or Blu.

8 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

Can someone clarify how the menus in Blu work?  It seems you can order from Blu's menu or the menus of the MDR?  Do you get all the menus given to you or do you have to ask or how does it work?

Thanks in advance

Yes that’s correct. You can order from both.

So each night, they will give you the menu from Blu. If you don’t see anything you fancy, look on your phone at the celebrity app. You find all the restaurant menus in there. 

I believe this only applies to Solstice and Millennium class ships.

14 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

Thanks in advance

Depends on the ship. Edge Class probably not as the two kitchens aren’t close. Older ships it’s a possibility 

On 5/22/2024 at 3:45 PM, xxpinksaltxx said:

We cruised Aqua 2 weeks ago on the Beyond. The quality of the food was always excellent but the menu choice is terrible. One night there were 2 pasta dishes, 1 vegetarian dish, duck and lamb as mains (entrees).

It's a shame, because the service was amazing, loved the smaller restaurant, and the quality of the food was always good, but the menu selection needs updating.

No issues with those options…the less selection the better, more care can be put into the dishes..

50 minutes ago, tfred said:

Depends on the ship. Edge Class probably not as the two kitchens aren’t close. Older ships it’s a possibility 

Bummer, we're going on the Edge.  Oh well, will just look at the menus each day and decide 🙂

• Like 1