Potato chips available? (Majestic Princess)

Hello all! 

We are going to be setting off 6/23/24 on the Majestic Princess On the Alaskan inside passage. My son has a bit of a limited pallette and one of the things he loves is potato chip and the other crunchy snacks (Cheeto, tortilla chip, etc) I've tried watching videos of the buffet and international cafe but haven't seen any display of potato chips so I wanted to see if that was something on board and I was just missing them on the videos.

The store on Deck 5 in the Piazza has Pringles and candy for purchase.  However, this could be a good time for him to expand his pallet and try new things.  My son was a junk food eater, but on his first cruise, never went hungry and tried many new things!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bantha09 said:

Hello all! 

We are going to be setting off 6/23/24 on the Majestic Princess On the Alaskan inside passage. My son has a bit of a limited pallette and one of the things he loves is potato chip and the other crunchy snacks (Cheeto, tortilla chip, etc) I've tried watching videos of the buffet and international cafe but haven't seen any display of potato chips so I wanted to see if that was something on board and I was just missing them on the videos.

I’ve only seen them as an option through RS, with the sandwiches.  You can ask at the buffet if they have any to take back to your room. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Crown Cruiser said:

The store on Deck 5 in the Piazza has Pringles and candy for purchase.  However, this could be a good time for him to expand his pallet and try new things.  My son was a junk food eater, but on his first cruise, never went hungry and tried many new things!

Yeah I'm hoping he will branch out some, but he also has sensory issues related to low level autism so it makes progress on that front slower, though I doubt he will ever get to my level of "eating nearly anything once it is confirmed not to be poisonous" haha

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

On all Princess sailings we've been on in the last few years, they have nachos available daily in the afternoon in the buffet. They use Tostitos brand. On this most recent cruise, they also had potato chips alongside. This was on the Enchanted.

If his taste preferences are for salty carbs, he might like to try the Majestic's noodle bar.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

On all Princess sailings we've been on in the last few years, they have nachos available daily in the afternoon in the buffet. They use Tostitos brand tortilla rounds. On this most recent cruise, they also had potato chips alongside. This was on the Enchanted.

If his taste preferences are for salty carbs, he might like to try the Majestic's noodle bar.

The preference in that department is salty crunchy carbs, so the noodle bar may not hit that spot. I will get his fries from the burger bar and I will enjoy the noodle bar 😁 

• Like 1

On the Enchanted, we found potato chips in different flavors as well as Vege Straws that were very good. They were for sale in the shop that sold candy, bandaids, aspirin, etc. They weren’t cheap, but good in a pinch. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

On the Enchanted, we found potato chips in different flavors as well as Vege Straws that were very good. They were for sale in the shop that sold candy, bandaids, aspirin, etc. They weren’t cheap, but good in a pinch. 

Thanks! Maybe we'll let him pick a bag or two, with the chips that are available , fries in multiple locations, pancakes and stuff for breakfast,grilled cheese on the room service menu (and probably in the MDR), and cookies and cake.... Everywhere 😂..... I'm sure he will be well fed. 

Thank you everyone for your responses so far, makes me all warm and fuzzy ☺️

It just helps to even better manage his expectations so he doesn't build up incorrect impressions. The YouTube videos folks have posted help alot too 

Edited by Bantha09

3 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

Get some in a port stop. They will be available!

and we've seen crew bringing multiple big bags of chips from ports

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, irishgirl said:

I always bring my own chips and Cheetos on board.  No problem!

we were on about day 7 of a Panama Canal cruise in port trying to decide to grab something to eat or wait until back on board.  I told my wife I really just wanted a beer and some Cheetos after 7 days of good for you cruise food - salads, fruits -    so walking around, she came out of a little store with just that - the beer, I expected,  but that was the BEST bag of cheetos since college🤣

• Haha 2

I found potato chips at the buffet on Enchanted (January 2024). When there weren't any out, I asked one of the cooks/chefs and they got them for me :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On our most recent cruise there was a large bowl of (regular) potato chips in the buffet every afternoon during the "snack" time. Several times I snagged a bowl of them to take back to the cabin. Of course, as mentioned above, one can buy as many bags of potato chips as desired at port stops.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bantha09 said:

Hello all! 

I'd advise bringing on the chips you wish at embarkation.  You won't find much packaged food on board.  My daughter has a very limited pallet and we can keep her fed on board no problem.  She like chips and crackers, but any bread product is usually a winner.  Deserts are easy.  Dinner doesn't have much variety, but she is happy with any type of crispy chicken, plain burgers, hot dogs, and most potato products, but especially fries.

Princess makes all their baked goods on board every day, their breads and dinner rolls are excellent.  They also make their own breadsticks, the crispy ones, and a number of home made crackers.  When we were on Discovery last year we went to the Suite/Elite reception in Take Five most evenings and they had huge displays of their home made breadsticks and crackers and they were far better than anything you can get at the grocery store.  Fresher, tastier.

In just about any dining venue all you have to do is ask and they will do their best to find something for you.  I suspect that if he likes chips, the crispy crackers and breadstics they make on board will be a hit.  Princess has good french fries, they do vary from the dining room to the grill up on Lido, but they are good nonetheless.  If you want them extra crisp, they will give it a try.

We are also on the Majestic this year.  We are on the sailing immediately after yours.  I hope you have a great time.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

You can get them from the shop. However pricey. Bring some on board with you and stock up again in ports. Otherwise hot chips are available. Some times you do find corn chips in the buffet area. 

Edited by icat2000

Last year while on the Regal, we ordered chips and guacamole almost every night from RS. It was a nice snack while watching movies. 

You can also usually get popcorn at Swirls in the evening during movies under the stars if he likes popcorn.

We sometimes bring a bag of chips on board for when we get a craving for a crunchy snack as options are somewhat limited on board.