Celebrity Move Up

Has anyone done the Celebrity Move Up before?  Me & my husband are debating if it's worth it to put a bid in or not?

It's our 1st time cruising on Celebrity.

There’s never any harm in putting in an offer if you can afford it and would get value from the amenities offered by the higher cabin category.

On a recent cruise we put in the minimum bid ($200pp) to move from a regular verandah up to Aquaclass. This was successful and we thought that well worthwhile just to access Blu.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It is a very popular program and many people participate in it.  Successes vary and although not necessarily followed, the theory is the highest bidder for any given stateroom should win the bid. But there are many reports of minimum bids winning, etc. And all bids are per person, so whatever you enter is doubled with double occupancy staterooms.  If a bid is accepted it is final and your credit card will immediately be charged with the bid award.

Just note that while it is a Celebrity sponsored program with bids for staterooms on their ships' itineraries, MoveUp is managed by a third party and not directly by Celebrity.  You may also not be notified either way regarding an award until 2 days before boarding.  Good luck.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

For my cruise the lowest bid is higher than what I could have gotten for by purchasing it upfront.  

I can say that if you have a room number assigned, know that upgrades are sort of hit and miss.  You are agreeing to whatever they give you and you can't really back out. 

We were upgraded once on Carnival to the same room type (balcony) that was on a higher deck (was told that higher decks are upgrades).  When we checked out the room online, the room was listed with an obstructed view.  Luckily once onboard the obstruction was minimal - just a pole.  We still loved the room, but I feel like I was downgraded.  Since that, I've noticed much debate about these upgrades being a way to sell cabins near elevators, stairwells, above dance floors, or below the pool - places with noise.  Of course inside or window cabin to balcony might be worth the noise. My 2 cents.

7 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

Can someone please explain the benefits of Concierge class vs balcony? Wondering if it’s worth it.   Thank you.

Too funny - I tried to figure that out before I booked too.  Hopefully someone who purchased it can elaborate.  All I found was a special meal for those passengers (I think on first day) and an assigned host so you didn't have to go to the different desks for complaints, to request things like reserving dining rooms or adding excursions. It might give you reserved seating in the theater, but I can't remember off hand. With the app doing much of that, I don't feel like it adds much value.

Recently succeeeded on an upgrade bid for a sold-out Millenium cruise in Japan. A balcony to Aqua class. Minimum bid plus $5 so about £360. We get a little uplift as being Elite too. We were very happy as love Blu and are usually Aquaclass.

However the cabin was under the pool deck which was not an issue on this Spring Japan cruise as there was not much poolside activity. A massive overhang above too. 

Sailed all classes on X but Concierge. Cannot see the point unless you need the points or the cabin is in the place you like. No need for a Concierge and no desire for the special lunch on embarkation day. Suite guests occasionally get reserved seating in the theatre not Concierge. 

I believe that Concierge maybe beneficial on the next X ship - EXcel (?).

I've bid on and won many Move Up bids.  

Value is  subjective and prior to bidding I would get comfortable with what comes with each room classification and the current cost of the room.    Remember the bid amount is per person and could be a way to move to a better classification cheaper than paying the current rate to upgrade.

Like on airlines.   Some may find value in moving to the Economy Plus or First Class while another may find it an UN-necessary splurge.

Since this is your first Celebrity cruise, perhaps you should be more familiar with the ship/Celebrity before deciding to make an upgrade bid. You are probably not familiar with what each cabin category actually provides. 

Posted (edited)

We give it a try every time.

We make sure we know what we would have paid for those upgrade categories prior to bidding as to not overbid.

We often book interior & figure $500 total bid is the max we would pay for a balcony (alternately if a balcony is $250pp more than an interior when we book, we just book then).

Otherwise I put in a lowball bid on some upgrades; I'd say across all lines we are at 50%+ success rate.

One example: On Princess last month we saw a price drop on our 16 day cruise after we had booked & were able to upgrade to a deluxe balcony with no extra cost. We had an interior booked on the 12 day cruise following it; bid $370 total for a deluxe balcony.

There are NO guarantees--book the room you are happy with. But we find Move Up to be a way to get more value from cruising.

Edited by KKB

12 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

Can someone please explain the benefits of Concierge class vs balcony? Wondering if it’s worth it.   Thank you.

NOT MUCH. Nothing of value, imo. 

Priority boarding, bottle of cheap sparkling wine, daily canapes, extra loyalty points.

Posted (edited)

Your money; your choice!  Are you a gambler?  Would you be okay if the cabin was obstructed?  The value is very minimal, IMHO!  Value for location might make it desirable, but when you bid, you give up control of what is a known entity.  What is your opportunity cost for the unknown, or what you hope to gain?  Good luck if you make that choice!

Edited by Lastdance

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

Here is a link to the Celebrity website describing Concierge class staterooms and benefits:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/concierge-class-stateroom

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Many years since I’ve sailed in a Concierge cabin so my information is outdated.  What I liked best was the nice bathrobe and fluffy towels.  There was no Concierge Lunch back then.  Don’t think I’d book it for the lunch.

I’ve never had a successful move-up bid.  My bids have ranged from cheapo to what I thought was very generous.  Always received my “Get lost, loser!” email two days prior to sailing.  Not bidding on my next few Solstice class cruises but for my Panama Canal cruise on Summit I’ll bid on the Penthouse Suite. Hahahahahaha… 😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

It's mainly the more desirable cabin locations, more than anything.  The other thing is lunch in the dining room on the fist day so you can avoid the hectic scene in the buffet. 

Edited by rmalbers

13 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

Too funny - I tried to figure that out before I booked too.  Hopefully someone who purchased it can elaborate.  All I found was a special meal for those passengers (I think on first day) and an assigned host so you didn't have to go to the different desks for complaints, to request things like reserving dining rooms or adding excursions. It might give you reserved seating in the theater, but I can't remember off hand. With the app doing much of that, I don't feel like it adds much value.

No reserved theater seating.   Lunch in the dining room on embarkation day if you are there in time.  1 bottle of sparkling wine, upon request, daily canapés ( 4 small dabs/pieces of something) believe you have to be in your cabin when they are delivered.  We found most inedible so ask them to stop bringing them.  

• Like 1

I have toyed with the idea of bidding for a 'better' room, but I like picking the exact room too much. On our next cruise we have an inside booked and I would be tempted to bid on another room, but I really like our location, so no I'll just stay where we are.

9 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I have toyed with the idea of bidding for a 'better' room, but I like picking the exact room too much. On our next cruise we have an inside booked and I would be tempted to bid on another room, but I really like our location, so no I'll just stay where we are.

I am with you. Especially on S class ships. Where we always book a slant balcony room on deck 7 or 8. I would only lose a slant balcony to a suite. I book what I want to sail. If I happen to win a suite in an upgrade fine. I never have though. 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

No reserved theater seating.   Lunch in the dining room on embarkation day if you are there in time.  1 bottle of sparkling wine, upon request, daily canapés ( 4 small dabs/pieces of something) believe you have to be in your cabin when they are delivered.  We found most inedible so ask them to stop bringing them.  

Did you find having a concierge provided much benefit over just using the app? Just trying to validate my impression from reviews I've read.  Although I think there is a dedicated number you can call to speak to them, it sounds like they only greet you and possibly show up to tell you goodbye and remind you to do your survey. One seemed to indicate they are going to redirect you to your cabin steward in most instances.

We have not used the Concierge.  We do our own reservations, if we want to book or cancel an excursion we go directly to the Shore Excursion Desk.  I guess if we had had a big problem having a concierge may be helpful. 

• Like 1

From our singular experience, if the original bids are too pricey (for us to move from Concierge to Sky Suite would have cost as much or a little more than just booking SS straight off the website), wait until a week or 2 before your sailing and see if the bids have dropped. Ours were cut 50% so we bid and won a SS at about $1300 less than the full booking (which is fair because there's no drinks, WiFi or club points upgrade).

Also, we don't drink much and didn't add a drink package at all, but all drinks in the lounge were free so we got our fill of Coke/San Pellegrino to take back to the cabin and a couple alcoholic drinks for free. So while drink package isn't included with Move Up to Retreat, we still got free drinks in the lounge.

On 5/27/2024 at 5:07 PM, TGfromTX said:

Did you find having a concierge provided much benefit over just using the app? Just trying to validate my impression from reviews I've read.  Although I think there is a dedicated number you can call to speak to them, it sounds like they only greet you and possibly show up to tell you goodbye and remind you to do your survey. One seemed to indicate they are going to redirect you to your cabin steward in most instances.

Everyone (all cabin types) have access to the concierge so that's really not a big deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PH2 said:

From our singular experience, if the original bids are too pricey (for us to move from Concierge to Sky Suite would have cost as much or a little more than just booking SS straight off the website), wait until a week or 2 before your sailing and see if the bids have dropped. Ours were cut 50% so we bid and won a SS at about $1300 less than the full booking (which is fair because there's no drinks, WiFi or club points upgrade).

Also, we don't drink much and didn't add a drink package at all, but all drinks in the lounge were free so we got our fill of Coke/San Pellegrino to take back to the cabin and a couple alcoholic drinks for free. So while drink package isn't included with Move Up to Retreat, we still got free drinks in the lounge.

Great tips

We bid the minimum ($500 x 2 people) on our Millennium cruise and were moved from a Celebrity Suite to a Royal Suite. Like another poster said, make sure you're happy with where the upgraded rooms are located. Moving into certain suites (like Sky and Royal suites) on S class ships means you might get stuck in a room under the Oceanview or pool deck, which is unpleasantly loud to say the least. And always check what the rooms are going for price-wise. It's definitely possible to put in a move-up bid that's higher than the cost of the darn room.