Dress Code Question (Sabatini's Italian Trattoria & Crown Grill), Passport Question

We have an upcoming cruise on the Emerald Princess on a 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise.  My wife, daughter (19 years old), and myself.

I keep on coming up with questions and sincerely appreciate the helpful responses I receive from this forum.

Question 1:

We have dinner reservations at Sabatini's Italian Trattoria and Crown Grill during the cruise.  For a guy, am I good in those restaurants with a nice pair of jeans (no holes or tatters/etc.) and a polo shirt and loafers?  Just making sure I'm clear on what to pack.

Question 2:

I've seen various info. on passports and the mention that the passport should have been valid for at least 6 months prior to the departure of a cruise.  We just got our daughter's passport renewed about 3 weeks ago and have the passport in-hand now as of last week for our cruise coming up in a few days.  Her prior passport was obtained in 2019 at which time she was only 14 years old.  In searching for our passports in our house a month ago, I became aware that her original passport was only valid for 5 years and had literally just expired (I thought it was valid for 10 years), so we got her an appointment and did a rush of the new passport a few days after the original one expired.  We can take her birth certificate and both the old/expired passport and the newly-obtained passport, and her drivers license, just in case for additional proof that she is who we're saying she is, etc.  Anyone know about the 6-month rule w/the passport?

Many thanks in advance for answers to either/both of the above questions!

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

1 - you'll be fine

2 - the passport should be good for 6 months "after" the cruise, not before - so all good there also

Yep and yep. 

• Like 1

While jeans are totally acceptable, the So. Caribbean can get quite hot... you may want to consider something lighter weight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

1 - you'll be fine

2 - the passport should be good for 6 months "after" the cruise, not before - so all good there also

Many thanks for the information!  Really do appreciate it!

42 minutes ago, julia said:

While jeans are totally acceptable, the So. Caribbean can get quite hot... you may want to consider something lighter weight.

So I'm assuming a nice pair of khaki shorts and a polo shirt would be equally fine in the two restaurants I mentioned?

1 minute ago, ZildjianCat said:

So I'm assuming a nice pair of khaki shorts and a polo shirt would be equally fine in the two restaurants I mentioned?

Yup

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZildjianCat said:

Debatable... many cruise lines do not allow shorts at dinner, but I'm not going to open that particular can of worms! 😲

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, julia said:

Debatable... many cruise lines do not allow shorts at dinner, but I'm not going to open that particular can of worms! 😲

No worries at all, as I'll have nice jeans with me and maybe a pair of khaki pants as well so I'll be prepared for whatever dress code-wise if shorts are permitted.  🙂

• Like 3

Off topic, I know...

I just read an article about someone complaining on Carnival that 3 veterans wore their dress blue uniforms in the MDR on some Carnival ship. John Heald basically said "Get over it!"  Good for him!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ZildjianCat said:

I would stick to jeans or khakis. Once in a blue moon some manager may object to shorts

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Off topic, I know...

I just read an article about someone complaining on Carnival that 3 veterans wore their dress blue uniforms in the MDR on some Carnival ship. John Heald basically said "Get over it!"  Good for him!

He should have said "Thank You for your Service"

We just dined at Sabitini's last week on the Diamond Princess. We saw all casual and lots of shorts and Hawaiian shirts

17 hours ago, julia said:

Only if you wear them off the ship. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Or to dinner ON the ship. 

Jeans? to dinner on the ship?

What's the problem?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

As long as your daughter has her new passport she's good for 9 years and 6 months - old passport not necessary 😊

Many thanks for the clarification.  Helps us greatly in not taking along unnecessary documents that we don't need.

17 hours ago, memoak said:

I would stick to jeans or khakis. Once in a blue moon some manager may object to shorts

No worries... will have a nice pear of jeans with me and will likely wear those as to not run into a situation of showing up at dinner and having to go back to the cabin to unexpectedly change.  🙂

My husband and I both wore jeans or khakis to Sabatinis and Crown Grill on our Southern cruise in February. Did not feel out of place at all. I  never wear shorts for dinner on a cruise (except for buffet) but did see some others in shorts. Wear what you like and you will be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2024 at 3:06 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Off topic, I know...

Gad, I hope so!  Who would complain about wearing dress uniforms to dinner?  That's nuts.  I hope everyone in the room that evening came by to thank them for their service.  Oops!  Just read that it was on Carnival, that explains it.  On Carnival ships, they probably wear baseball caps to dinner on formal night.  Hope I never have to find out in person.

Edited by jsn55

On 6/7/2024 at 9:03 AM, ZildjianCat said:
On 6/6/2024 at 12:21 PM, WisCruiser2 said:

As long as your daughter has her new passport she's good for 9 years and 6 months - old passport not necessary 😊

Many thanks for the clarification.  Helps us greatly in not taking along unnecessary documents that we don't need.

As she is under 16 the passport is good for 5 years, the next one is good for 10 years.

On 6/6/2024 at 9:14 AM, ZildjianCat said:

We have dinner reservations at Sabatini's Italian Trattoria and Crown Grill during the cruise.  For a guy, am I good in those restaurants with a nice pair of jeans (no holes or tatters/etc.) and a polo shirt and loafers?  Just making sure I'm clear on what to pack.

Jeans, shirt, any closed toe shoes are fine. 

5 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Gad, I hope so!  Who would complain about wearing dress uniforms to dinner?  That's nuts.  I hope everyone in the room that evening came by to thank them for their service.  Oops!  Just read that it was on Carnival, that explains it.  On Carnival ships, they probably wear baseball caps to dinner on formal night.  Hope I never have to find out in person.

But on formal nights, they make sure the cap is pointed forward. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1