How is Celebrity handling Florida rain issues?

4 hours ago, Orator said:

I remember at one time they delayed start the cruise because of weather and a large group from the  North hadn't arrived. They delayed for about 5-6 hours so the people would have a chance to board. They waited at the next port for those who missed the ship to board. They did a special muster for those who missed the first day.

Boxing Day 2022 (that's December 26) we sailed out of LA to Mexico. The weather the week before the cruise was awful across North America. Countless major airports closed and flights delayed. 

Celebrity Solstice left on-time. I counted at least 25 cabins on our deck that were empty - key cards on the door. It's not the norm for ships to wait, even if there are hundreds of passengers delayed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Exactly!  This is the kind of info I was looking for - whether Celebrity was making any adjustments of this type.  Some of the answers - geez!  I wonder at times why I even bother to post on these boards at all - so many off-topic, snarky, at times downright rude comments.  Just trying to get some info.  

I am very sorry I was off topic.  But, hopefully I wasn't snarky.  🙁

• Like 1

And sometimes, you simply can’t arrive more than the day before either.  I find I have issues with cruise departure dates as a teacher.  I cannot take days before a long weekend or vacation off so generally one day before is all the luxury I would have (I wouldn’t risk the day of ever…not worth the stress for me.) I just thought I’d offer up the thought that not everyone can endure a multi day buffer.  Would I love to be able to? Sure… Can I? Nope…

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Orator said:

I remember at one time they delayed start the cruise because of weather and a large group from the  North hadn't arrived. They delayed for about 5-6 hours so the people would have a chance to board. They waited at the next port for those who missed the ship to board. They did a special muster for those who missed the first day.

Were these passengers by any chance on one of the Celebrity charters from Canada?

On 6/14/2024 at 9:31 AM, hrhdhd said:

But how would I have known six months ago when I booked a flight for this weekend that Florida would have record rain and severe flooding? 🤨

Be a use it’s hurricane season here! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cbfb said:

Be a use it’s hurricane season here! 

Yes, hurricane season starts June 1. No, there aren't many hurricanes in June. Note that this RECORD rain was not tied to a hurricane event.

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Thanks 2

On 6/14/2024 at 11:26 AM, Orator said:

This happened to us years ago. Most of our flight out of Minneapolis were going on the same cruise as we booked through the same TA. I don't remember how long they held the ship, but found out later that it was very unusual.

On 6/13/2024 at 4:26 PM, phoenix_dream said:

ps

Please let's not get into a bunch of posts talking about how people should buy insurance, or how everyone should fly in at least a day ahead (many planned to do just that - if not two days).  That's not the point of this posting.  Thank you.

Kind of like putting up a sign that says, "wet paint, don't touch." 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

Yes, hurricane season starts June 1. No, there aren't many hurricanes in June. Note that this RECORD rain was not tied to a hurricane event.

It was defined as an "invest", which is a "watcher". No, not yet a tropical depression yet, but certainly worth watching.

Our area had a huge rain event with a storm surge back in December, which caused us big troubles. Those "shoulders" aren't watched carefully enough, but can have big impacts and this was one of them. 

For the good or the bad, most of the "minor" storms drop a lot of rain in a short amount of time, but they pass quickly and the water recedes quickly as well. In the interim, it causes disruptions....but so do snow storms in the north. "Stuff" happens and we all need to incorporate contingencies in their vacation planning.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

"Stuff" happens and we all need to incorporate contingencies in their vacation planning.

Like travel insurance and flying in a day early 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry I just could not resist 😁

I think the OP was referring to my snarky post.  😉

On our last cruise there were no weather issues and yet people still managed to miss the embark on the first port.

Edited by NMTraveller

Why should the cruise line take any responsibility for passengers failure to take out appropriate travel insurance? It’s second nature for us in the UK, in particular because we don’t want to get landed with massive medical bills, but there is so much that could go wrong during the journey to the port, and that is covered. 

I would be very annoyed if my cruise schedule was disrupted by late comers, because where would the responsibility stop? Would the ship wait for one passenger who had chosen a late flight that was disrupted by weather miles away? If the weather isn’t disrupting the ships departure, then I would expect it to be leaving on time.

Fair enough if the cruise line has organised the flights, then they should, and seemingly do, take responsibility for getting the passengers to the ship. However, it does seem that this might have to be at the next port of call, and hopefully passengers so disrupted get adequate compensation for the inconvenience and worry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/14/2024 at 9:31 AM, hrhdhd said:

But how would I have known six months ago when I booked a flight for this weekend that Florida would have record rain and severe flooding? 🤨

Booking a day or so ahead of the cruise will give you some time to deal with issues should they arrive. FLL was closed last year and this year due to flooding. There is a drainage issue in Fort Lauderdale right north of the airport which floods also. Last year a lot of those houses had 3’ - 5’ of water in them. It was worse than a hurricane. There’s also mechanical issues that can arise which will affect the flights. If possible try to fly in at least a day ahead.  

On 6/14/2024 at 10:28 AM, JLMcruise said:

Maybe the title should have be - How are Celebrity passengers handling Florida rain issue. 

So true. The rain and weather is going to happen whenever it’s going to happen. People should know how to prepare for it or accept the consequences if there’s an issue.

On 6/14/2024 at 12:26 PM, Orator said:

How long ago was this and how large was the group?

On 6/15/2024 at 9:00 AM, cruisestitch said:

Were these passengers by any chance on one of the Celebrity charters from Canada?

That I can see them holding up a departure, but for anything else I just don’t see it, especially for hours.

On 6/13/2024 at 7:01 PM, Orator said:

Problem with booking a cruise during rain/hurricane season. I booked the same cruise!

We have lived in Florida for 31 years and you don’t have to start worrying about hurricanes until around late August. As far as the rainy season it starts in early June and ends in early October but you can get rain from hurricanes and hurricane season ends December 1st. The latest hurricane I remember was Wilma that hit in late October of 2005.

Edited by MISTER 67

On 6/15/2024 at 6:54 AM, cruisetonowhere10 said:

And sometimes, you simply can’t arrive more than the day before either.  I find I have issues with cruise departure dates as a teacher.  I cannot take days before a long weekend or vacation off so generally one day before is all the luxury I would have (I wouldn’t risk the day of ever…not worth the stress for me.) I just thought I’d offer up the thought that not everyone can endure a multi day buffer.  Would I love to be able to? Sure… Can I? Nope…

Your best bet is booking cruises that start on a Sunday, at least it would give you Saturday for flying in a day early.

52 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We have lived in Florida for 31 years and you don’t have to start worrying about hurricanes until around late August. As far as the rainy season it starts in early June and ends in early October but you can get rain from hurricanes and hurricane season ends December 1st. The latest hurricane I remember was Wilma that hit in late October of 2005.

I have lived here for 59 years and Wilma was pretty bad. 2004 was even worse....that was when Mother Nature decided to send out 4 major hurricanes...Ivan, Charley, Jeanne and Frances. Hit all over the place.

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I have lived here for 59 years and Wilma was pretty bad. 2004 was even worse....that was when Mother Nature decided to send out 4 major hurricanes...

We lived in Florida then and I worked in IT for a major company that was headquartered in Florida. Part of my job was to track storms and alert our team when there were things that may impact operations. Those hurricanes were lined up like a line of bowling balls waiting to hit the state. 

9 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I have lived here for 59 years and Wilma was pretty bad. 2004 was even worse....that was when Mother Nature decided to send out 4 major hurricanes...Ivan, Charley, Jeanne and Frances. Hit all over the place.

We lived in Bonita Springs when Charlie hit and it was suppose to turn inland at us but it kept going north and made its turn towards Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte.

We live in Port Charlotte now and Ian nailed us in 2022, we were slammed both on the front end the back end. We were without electricity and I went out to my car and charged up my phone on that Thursday and called Celebrity and asked if we could get on the Infinity which was sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale that Saturday, there were still cabins available so we booked. Nothing was open on the southwest coast and we managed to have enough gas to cross Alligator Alley and fill up in Weston. By the end of the cruise electricity and cable TV was up and running when we returned to Port Charlotte. True Story.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MISTER 67 said:

We lived in Bonita Springs when Charlie hit and it was suppose to turn inland at us but it kept going north and made its turn towards Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte.

We live in Port Charlotte now and Ian nailed us in 2022, we were slammed both on the front end the back end. We were without electricity and I went out to my car and charged up my phone on that Thursday and called Celebrity and asked if we could get on the Infinity which was sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale that Saturday, there were still cabins available so we booked. Nothing was open on the southwest coast and we managed to have enough gas to cross Alligator Alley and fill up in Weston. By the end of the cruise electricity and cable TV was up and running when we returned to Port Charlotte. True Story.

Taking a cruise to escape real life.

11 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Hi, oh I believe you. Many, many years ago (I actually don't remember what year😮).......we drove to Tampa to stay with my Uncle (Dad's brother)   EVERYONE was leaving town and what usually took 3.5 to 4 hours (drive) took nearly 8 hours. I wish I could remember what year that was.......I remember I was the who drove. I honestly don't remember if it was in the 90's or 2000's..........