Fairmont Hotel Downtown Vancouver

danibethb

We are exhausted after a very long day getting into Vancouver. Airport shuttle had 3 couples on board. 2 of the couples went to Vancouver Waterfront, but they delivered us to Fairmont Downtown. It is so disappointing. VERY LOUD, constant sirens, motorcycles speeding down street we overlook. This is not what we paid 22k for! Why on Earth were the others all going to Fairmont Waterfront but we got stuck with this? It was our understanding that we would pampered with a fabulous, luxury hotel and an amazing upscale breakfast before boarding.Shudder to think what the “complimentary breakfast” will be. After we got here and read the fine print, you see that if you are sailing the same day, you will not get a restaurant or buffet breakfast,  but a “private function” in the hotel ballroom.After sitting in economy airline seats all day, I do not feel luxurious at all. I wish I would have never booked an all- inclusive cruise with Regent. This has been an awful experience and it is just the beginning. It is too late for me and my money, but if it helps others make an informed decision it will be worth it! And don’t bother attacking me for being ignorant of what Regent supplies. This is not being written for you! It is for newbies like me who don’t know any better.

IMG_5973.jpeg

Reading your arrival letter it appears your breakfast on the embarkation day is in the Pacific Ballroom, which is the normal practice for guests on the cruise . It’s part of your pre cruise package.  Am sure after a sleep and then breakfast once you are onboard the Regent experience you are expecting will be will be in abundance. From your welcome glass of chilled champagne you will be able to relax and enjoy your cruise.   Jean.

8 hours ago, danibethb said:

I wish I would have never booked an all- inclusive cruise with Regent. This has been an awful experience and it is just the beginning.

So sorry that your flight & hotel have not met your expectations; but do not understand why you are adversely pre-judging your Regent cruise experience even before boarding the ship 🤔

Hopefully the rest of your vacation will be more enjoyable.

8 hours ago, danibethb said:

VERY LOUD, constant sirens, motorcycles speeding down street we overlook.

Did the hotel not offer an alternative room when you complained about the noise issues ?

• Like 1

Your Regent booking confirmation would show what hotel you were booked into. Or was your hotel assignment changed and you were not advised by your TA or Regent? And you only found out when dropped at the hotel front door?

There is nothing wrong with the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. It is a historic hotel in the city, where yes, you might experience some city sounds. I’m sure the hotel staff would have moved you to a quieter location in the hotel, 

For the Fairmonts in Vancouver, we prefer the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel, not the Fairmont Waterfront.

I thought it was only those of us on this side of the pond that got economy flights and that US guests travelled business class or has that changed. There is nothing like a long economy flight to make you feel a bit fed up.

Our last 2 cruises with R - the first in Miami we stayed at the Mandarin Oriental but breakfast was an 'all Regent guests' affair in a conference/ballroom.

The second we weren't entitled to the 'posh' hotel as not concierge or above but because we had travelled to Japan it was classed as a 'forced' overnight so R put us up in a very nice hotel on the outskirts of Tokyo but a short walk to the train station and breakfast was excellent - actually in the hotel dining room with the other guests, so breakfast, at least, was far better than being with all the other Regent passengers with a specially designed menu.

I hope no-one will attack you - it appears you are tired and disappointed with the land based element but like others say, hopefully, when you step onboard it will fade into the background. Wishing you a lovely cruise.

we have done one regent cruise (booked for another in a few weeks) and I remember the breakfast at the hotel in Anchorage on the embarkation day (cant remember which hotel now) was not the usual hotel breakfast but served in a different room just for cruisers and definitely subpar. I remember being quite disappointed about the first impression of Regent hospitality but we then did have a great cruise. Not sure why they do this...

• Like 1

We sometimes do the included hotel night and sometimes take the rather measly credit and book our own pre-cruise hotel.  For the three times we used the Regent supplied hotel, we found one breakfast pretty terrible, including running out of coffee.  One breakfast was OK - not terrible and certainly not great.  And one breakfast was very good. 

• Like 1

We stayed at The Fairmont downtown a couple of weeks ago and thought it was just fine. Fortunately we didn’t have a noisy room. We arrived fairly early and we found the location convenient for some last minute shopping and a good selection of nearby restaurants for dinner. 

We actually prefer the ballroom breakfasts as they provide an opportunity to meet some fellow passengers before getting on the ship. 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2024 at 6:10 PM, Techno123 said:

I thought it was only those of us on this side of the pond that got economy flights and that US guests travelled business class or has that changed

U.S. cruisers only get Business Class if flying international.  Domestic, including Hawaii, Alaska,  Canada, Mexico, Caribbean are all in economy.  Nothing has changed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

U.S. cruisers only get Business Class if flying international.  Domestic, including Hawaii, Alaska,  Canada, Mexico, Caribbean are all in economy.  Nothing has changed. 

Ah - I thought Vancouver would class as international as it's not part of US.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Techno123 said:

I have been educated now but as Vancouver is in Canada I thought it would be classed as international 😁

Flights between Canada and the USA are often referred to as 'Trans-Border'... especially when leaving Canada as there is only one border (except Hans Island but not much traffic there).

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1