When Everyone Is Special, No One Is Special

As I slowly move up the ranks of X loyalty/status (still only Elite), I see that X is experiencing pretty much the same issues as all these programs - too many "big" fish making them devalue the perks for all or X is stuck with a growing "cost" eating into their profits.  Since we know businesses don't eat into their profits when they can figure out other methods, clearly a devaluation is coming or, as many feel, is already happening.

Every single day, more folks are moving up from Select -> Elite -> Elite+ -> Zenith, and there is no way the existing Zeniths are dropping off at a fast enough pace to simply be replaced.  The ranks of the "special" folks on a cruise will swell and swell.  I foresee that the trend in X towards $$$ and not status counting most of all will accelerate.  Like airlines before them, status will mean less (or be accrued differently).  

IOW - as mentioned in another thread, "loyalty" programs don't mean much if they don't inspire loyalty.  I gotta wonder where this leads - for us in particular - as we approach retirement and more time to cruise, and nothing too enticing about progressing too much further up the ladder, especially if by the time we get to Zenith (10 yrs more?), it will likely be a shadow of what it was.  I see changing from a "X or bust" cruiser to almost solely being driven by price and itinerary (already high priorities).

• Like 3

I don't understand the special mindset, perhaps provide a specific example?  What are you expecting that you're not receiving?

My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is they grandfather everyone and a devaluation or perk reduction would apply to new CC members only.  They could follow in MSC's footsteps of requiring you to sail every 3 years or lose your status; if they do, I'd still guess they'd grandfather the existing CC members

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I don't understand the special mindset, perhaps provide a specific example?  What are you expecting that you're not receiving?

An example would simply be any "exclusive" event that a certain status or above is invited to.  If there are 100 folks on board at that status, it remains a "perk". If there are 1,000 folks on board with that status, it is more a "meh" situation.  Scattered throughout a cruise, there are various events we get invited to, and over the years, those become more and more full.

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is they grandfather everyone and a devaluation or perk reduction would apply to new CC members only.  They could follow in MSC's footsteps of requiring you to sail every 3 years or lose your status; if they do, I'd still guess they'd grandfather the existing CC members

So your WAG is a devaluation will be coming, and maybe isn't already happening? I can see that. With the small return to departure day HH, things actually went "back" in folks favor, but I also see the pendulum swinging the other way soon.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

As I slowly move up the ranks of X loyalty/status (still only Elite), I see that X is experiencing pretty much the same issues as all these programs - too many "big" fish making them devalue the perks for all or X is stuck with a growing "cost" eating into their profits.  Since we know businesses don't eat into their profits when they can figure out other methods, clearly a devaluation is coming or, as many feel, is already happening.

Every single day, more folks are moving up from Select -> Elite -> Elite+ -> Zenith, and there is no way the existing Zeniths are dropping off at a fast enough pace to simply be replaced.  The ranks of the "special" folks on a cruise will swell and swell.  I foresee that the trend in X towards $$$ and not status counting most of all will accelerate.  Like airlines before them, status will mean less (or be accrued differently).  

IOW - as mentioned in another thread, "loyalty" programs don't mean much if they don't inspire loyalty.  I gotta wonder where this leads - for us in particular - as we approach retirement and more time to cruise, and nothing too enticing about progressing too much further up the ladder, especially if by the time we get to Zenith (10 yrs more?), it will likely be a shadow of what it was.  I see changing from a "X or bust" cruiser to almost solely being driven by price and itinerary (already high priorities).

What? Sorry but this just comes across as a ramble.

Really though, I guess my opinion is the opposite, make the customer feel special across the board. Whether you can afford one 5k cruise, or 20 of them, treating people differently, or rather dramatically differently isn't a good thing in my opinion. Making everyone feel special is a better world to live in, rather than the top 1% who can afford multiple cruises every year. Loyalty programs exist and I don't think anyone has any issues with that, but they shouldn't offer a completely different experience to the person who is on their first celebrity cruise.

All just my opinion of course.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

An example would simply be any "exclusive" event that a certain status or above is invited to.  If there are 100 folks on board at that status, it remains a "perk". If there are 1,000 folks on board with that status, it is more a "meh" situation.  Scattered throughout a cruise, there are various events we get invited to, and over the years, those become more and more full.

So your WAG is a devaluation will be coming, and maybe isn't already happening? I can see that. With the small return to departure day HH, things actually went "back" in folks favor, but I also see the pendulum swinging the other way soon.

My opinion is they won't change/devalue it anytime soon, but if they do, it would apply to new CC members.  They claim they want RCIers to check out X and Xer's to check out SilverSeas.  I think the day of embarkation HH addition was more of X realizing how much time is wasted by the crew dealing with passengers refusing the drink they thought was free

Having always had a preference for itinerary over brand, I've never quite understood the single minded desire to climb the loyalty ladder. So in that light, I have to agree with joydivision. Every passenger should feel " special".  Why the need to feel more special than anyone else on board?

Now if they were to do away with the free Gelatos or lattes and instead offer a loyalty ladder consisting of cruise rate discounts, I might be inclined to care.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, joydivision84 said:

Loyalty programs exist and I don't think anyone has any issues with that, but they shouldn't offer a completely different experience to the person who is on their first celebrity cruise.

What SHOULD they offer?

I personally think X is actively moving towards crafting at least two completely different experiences, but using that via The Retreat and not loyalty.  So they do offer that already, and it seems to follow the progression I mentioned in the OP.

In all honesty, the Elite+ complimentary cappuccino, latte, & espresso are about the only next tier item on my radar.  Coupled with the Elite HH, and that would keep us from wanting a beverage package on anything except a TA/TP.  

From a "special" perspective, the options for priority service are nice, and maybe the Elite breakfast and Officer parties.  And the laundry (which we still haven't needed).

image.thumb.png.29a693903c84fdb32965f2f4ab5b5ed4.png

I agree with @wallyj I happen to like Celebrity's CC membership benefits as it is.   I keep looking at all these questions in the "Ask Laura" thing and am having a difficult time restraining myself with all the questions about why they don't do this and that like Royal Caribbean.  I mean, I can not really find anything that I can think of that I would change with this program -- 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/images/Captains-Club-Benefits-Brochure-12-2023.pdf

It works well for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

An example would simply be any "exclusive" event that a certain status or above is invited to.

You mean like a non Elite (not married to each other or living at the same address, no matter their age) who is staying in the same cabin with a Elite or above and getting some of the same perks/benefits. 

Edited by doghog

1 hour ago, canderson said:

One way of looking at it ...

Any good loyalty program will inevitably fall victim to its own success.

Owners/ mgrs of X   are hastening.this along with the latest Crossover  changes..so many more Royal C Diamond plus will now have advanced X status too thus swelling upper levels.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last thing that is important to me is loyalty status.  Yes I enjoy the overall celebrity experience ahipboard. The little perks are nice but I sailed when I didn’t have them and will sail other lines if itinerary is one that interests me..  Tho blue chip keeps sending me offers that are great which I am taking advantage of.   

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, hcat said:

Owners/ mgrs of X   are hastening.this along with the latest Crossover  changes..so many more Royal C Diamond plus will now have advanced X status too thus swelling upper levels.   

One of the things raising my blood pressure right now is all the questions being posed to Laura on the new section that was started up about changing Celebrity way of doing things to Royal Caribbeans.  I find myself having a hard time from commenting, and a couple of times I was unable to refrain.  Celebrity's loyalty program is not perfect but it works pretty damn good.  Royal's is different and works pretty good as well.  However, they should, in my mind,  remain separate cruise lines with separate loyalty programs.  I'll even go as far as to say I was not, and still feel it was the wrong more, a happy cruiser when Celebrity put their new status match program in place.  The old one worked well and I do not look forward to the congestion that the thousands of new Elite + and Zeniths that this has created is going to cause in some venue's. You think getting a drink at Cafe al Bacio was hard before -- just wait until all those new Diamond + start coming over to Celebrity. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Do not chase loyalty unless it’s truly worth it. Companies should be chasing your loyalty not the other way around!!  If you happen to get a perk, so be it.

Chase the destination and experience!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

One of the things raising my blood pressure right now is all the questions being posed to Laura on the new section that was started up about changing Celebrity way of doing things to Royal Caribbeans.  I find myself having a hard time from commenting, and a couple of times I was unable to refrain.  Celebrity's loyalty program is not perfect but it works pretty damn good.  Royal's is different and works pretty good as well.  However, they should, in my mind,  remain separate cruise lines with separate loyalty programs.  I'll even go as far as to say I was not, and still feel it was the wrong more, a happy cruiser when Celebrity put their new status match program in place.  The old one worked well and I do not look forward to the congestion that the thousands of new Elite + and Zeniths that this has created is going to cause in some venue's. You think getting a drink at Cafe al Bacio was hard before -- just wait until all those new Diamond + start coming over to Celebrity. 

Agreed

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I hope it evens out with Captains Club members on RCC cruises when their on ours.

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I agree with @wallyj I happen to like Celebrity's CC membership benefits as it is.   I keep looking at all these questions in the "Ask Laura" thing and am having a difficult time restraining myself with all the questions about why they don't do this and that like Royal Caribbean.  I mean, I can not really find anything that I can think of that I would change with this program -- 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/images/Captains-Club-Benefits-Brochure-12-2023.pdf

It works well for us. 

I hear you. I am cringing at the "why can't it be like Royal " comments. Not to mention a few that are truly an embarrassment to read, and that I would never in a million years ask in that type of event. I'll refrain from specifics.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I am a suite cruise away from reaching Elite+...and it's taken me since 2015 to get to this point.  The three thousand points necessary to reach Zenith will not happen in my lifetime....

Don't give up. It took me 30 years and 70 cruises!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

These loyalty programs are a trap. You are worried about the perks being devalued all along the cruise experience has been devalued while they throw you a bone to keep you coming back. These programs allow them to cut services and nickel and dime for items that were included at one time. I have been following long enough to remember the threads when they cut the daily water service in Aqua class, removed the foot stools in Concierge class, started charging for fresh squeezed orange juice, started charging for better cuts of meat in the MDR and now the current complaint about removing lounges from suites. The best scam is Go Green and eliminate the room being cleaned 2 daily. They give you points to accept less service. This is just a gateway to cut service and not give you the points.  Yet people who complain keep coming back for a few free drinks and discounts to encourage more spending. Sounds like they have you just where they want you. I follow the line that saves me money at the time of booking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, joydivision84 said:

Really though, I guess my opinion is the opposite, make the customer feel special across the board. Whether you can afford one 5k cruise, or 20 of them, treating people differently, or rather dramatically differently isn't a good thing in my opinion. Making everyone feel special is a better world to live in, rather than the top 1% who can afford multiple cruises every year. Loyalty programs exist and I don't think anyone has any issues with that, but they shouldn't offer a completely different experience to the person who is on their first celebrity cruise.

All just my opinion of course.

This 100%.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, canderson said:

One way of looking at it ...

Any good loyalty program will inevitably fall victim to its own success.

And when that day comes, hopefully, the 2-4 daily marketing emails fall victim also...lol

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I am a suite cruise away from reaching Elite+...and it's taken me since 2015 to get to this point.  The three thousand points necessary to reach Zenith will not happen in my lifetime....

We reached Elite+ on our last cruise.  Our next one will be the first one we get to sail with those privileges.   We've been Diamond Plus and over have reached the over 340 points mark for the little extra's that come there.  We'll never reach Zenith or Pinnacle. 

• Like 2