Room Service

5onadime

Our package includes room service.... but I feel like I should still tip?

Any guidance on how much if dinner is brought for 2 people.  5, 10, 20?

( I did try to search because I am certain there must be a thread that already exists.  A hint on what magic word to search would also be helpful 🙂 )

For regular RS, we usually tip $2 each time.  They are always appreciative. 
There are many threads about tips…we usually Say “Get out the popcorn!”

lol

It’s really a personal choice.

• Like 2

About the only time we use room service is when we have Covid or other illnesses that keep us in our cabin. In that case we do not tip 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

It is customary to tip for room service. That gratuity is not included in any of the pre-pay crew appreciation options.

It maybe your custom, but it's not mine. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 5onadime said:

Our package includes room service.... but I feel like I should still tip?

Any guidance on how much if dinner is brought for 2 people.  5, 10, 20?

( I did try to search because I am certain there must be a thread that already exists.  A hint on what magic word to search would also be helpful 🙂 )

Keep in mind...if you order a full dinner from RS, your soup will be cold, the main will likely be lukewarm and ice cream will melt. 😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, antsp said:

It maybe your custom, but it's not mine. 

Perhaps not yours, but in general I think you'll find most who are aware, tip.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Keep in mind...if you order a full dinner from RS, your soup will be cold, the main will likely be lukewarm and ice cream will melt. 😉

I don't know about the ice cream, but I was pleasantly surprised with my last RS order. It did take forever to be delivered, but then they did have to pick up my appetizer from Sabatini's, my steak from the steakhouse, and a couple of cocktails from a bar. The hot food was still reasonably warm 

23 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't know about the ice cream, but I was pleasantly surprised with my last RS order. The hot food was still reasonably warm.

Agreed -- our recent room service orders have been good and the temperature fine.  We've taken advantage of the Crown Grill options too and appreciated those after a long day in port.  I'm not sure who would order ice cream from room service and expect it to be cold after eating the meal, or if they even still offer ice cream as an option.  If I recall our dessert options recently were cheesecake and chocolate cake.  But I could be wrong 🙂 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimlouisesophie said:

Can I just jump in here and ask a relative question?   How much tip for breakfast that you have ordered the night before?

off the door hanger ... $2 for the two of us

1 minute ago, jimlouisesophie said:

Can I just jump in here and ask a relative question?   How much tip for breakfast that you have ordered the night before?

It various by person and how much you order, but we might tip $2 to $5. There isn't a defined number, but something.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It is customary to tip for room service. That gratuity is not included in any of the pre-pay crew appreciation options.

I don't want to argue the merits or protocol of tipping for room service, but why wouldn't they be included in the tipping pool?  Has Princess said they aren't included?  

https://www.princess.com/html/global/disclaimers/crew-appreciation/

Screenshot 2024-07-17 8.32.42 AM.png

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I don't want to argue the merits or protocol of tipping for room service, but why wouldn't they be included in the tipping pool?  Has Princess said they aren't included?  

https://www.princess.com/html/global/disclaimers/crew-appreciation/

Screenshot 2024-07-17 8.32.42 AM.png

I am not aware of Princess stating that, but other cruise lines have said. But that's a good question. Is there an official Princess page where the question might be asked?

including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas.

I could do without any part of the CA going to those areas - but it's not my boat, not my rules.  If I sail, I accept those terms IF I get a package...

FoI llow Us:
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, voljeep said:

including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas.

I could do without any part of the CA going to those areas - but it's not my boat, not my rules.  If I sail, I accept those terms IF I get a package...

FoI llow Us:

Right -- so surely if entertainment is included in CA why wouldn't room service staff. To me they fall under 'dining'.

@5onadime my opinion on your room service tipping -is do what You Feel is the right thing for yourself and your traveling partner. Only you can decide on how much to tip or if you want to tip at all. I’m assuming when you say it’s part of your package you’ve taken plus or premier cruise fare  package. ( ocean now- fee is included)
So technically, already paid for the delivery. But of course, if you want to tip in cash then do so,the room service delivery crew/ staff will gladly accept any amount of tip that you give them. Is it necessary or customary? That is the million dollar question. But if it makes you feel better, then go for it.The End.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Perhaps not yours, but in general I think you'll find most who are aware, tip.

Most people don't double tip but wouldn't dream of admitting it on these boards because they don't have flame suites! Please show where you got your mis-information from?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Most people don't double tip but wouldn't dream of admitting it on these boards because they don't have flame suites! Please show where you got your mis-information from?

We tip extra in MDR and bars at the end of the cruise since we use these daily. Room service for us is very rare so we just let the CA take care of it. For those who don’t want to tip at all on sailings out of the US because they come from a non tipping culture I say remember where you are and follow the culture where you are not where you come from

• Like 4

we bribe our cabin steward the first time we meet him(hopefully) or her (only once, worst ever)

we do not tip extra in the mdr

we tip room service as delivered

we tip in bars as we go, not waiting until the last night

we haven't 'yet' removed or reduced CA either by itself (usually we have prepaid), and now we sail with a package so it is automatically included for now.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The OP asked a simple question with their intention of tipping.  I think the question has been answered.  Tipping is a very personal option.  All this extra "trying to justify" is irrelevant.  

I tip for room service.  I pool a bunch of singles and a few fives together in an easy to access location so I am not fumbling as I try to answer/open the door.  I also always have individually wrapped candy bites/minis (Snickers seem to be a favorite).  They gingerly take one before I tell them they can have as many as they like. (Thanks to another poster for this idea.  I think it was @Ombud).

This is just me.  Whatever kindness you share is greatly appreciated by the crew.  Even a "Thank You" goes a long way.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 7