Icon- Where to find a Kummelwreck?

When Royal first introduced them they were addictively amazing, so tender. The last few times however we could barely bite off a piece of beef, it all came out of the bun....tough and chewy as tough and chewy can be. We will keep trying on every cruise though in case they get edible again. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

When Royal first introduced them they were addictively amazing, so tender. The last few times however we could barely bite off a piece of beef, it all came out of the bun....tough and chewy as tough and chewy can be. We will keep trying on every cruise though in case they get edible again. 

on my previous oasis cruise, the meat was amazing and bread was very dry . seems like it is a hit and miss depending on who cooking the meat and baking the bread

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

24 minutes ago, rjrpar said:

They are so tough, almost impossible to chew. 

+1.  They used to be awesome.  Now....not so much.

• Like 4

We recently (May) had one on Icon in the Park Cafe (Central Park)....To rare and tough for us...but the salads and soup there were great.

• Like 1

I’ve come to the conclusion that they added it in to the menu to make use of the soles of shoes left behind by previous passengers. Tried it on multiple different ships and I’ve yet to get one ediible. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think it all depends where the beef is being sliced from. I was on the Icon at the end of April & got one the first day. It was very chewy & fatty. But when I got one mid-week it was close to perfect.

I wonder why they call it Kummelweck- instead of Caraway Seed Roll! Well,  I know of course that " Kummelweck" is adopted from the German " Kümmelwecken" - nice marketing joke!

Kümmelwecken- Kummelweck has usually no salt on top- and if - not that much as in the pictures. LOL.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Agree 100%!!! It used to be my absolute first thing I would run to get when I first got on board any Royal cruise. Post covid the Kummelweck has become inedible. It is exactly how you describe...one bite and the meat is so tough it pulls right out of the bun. I watched other people on my last number of sailings trying to eat it and the same....they give up on it after the first coupe bites. I have sadly given up on it and don't even bother anymore.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mandersen12345 said:

Is the same beef now as before or did they change it?  I read somewhere that they cut the quality of the beef but that was just something I read.  

Definitely a different cut and quality from the original.  AND they used to have a delicious au jus which turned into a nasty thick pseudo-gravy.  UGH

• Like 2

On 8/2/2024 at 6:26 AM, shof515 said:

on my previous oasis cruise, the meat was amazing and bread was very dry . seems like it is a hit and miss depending on who cooking the meat and baking the bread

Agree, Ship to Ship surprisingly Chef prepares same items on the menu different, even adding ingredients that are not on another. Like going to same fast food Rest in Florida and in California, food supposed taste the same, consistency. Yet one Royal Ship to another an item might be spicy on the first, sweet on the second one 

Overrated in my opinion , and agree with other posters , tough and chewy . 

The salads are good though .

I bypass the meat line and go directly to the salad bar.

• Like 1

I guess it is ship-dependent.  My last one was this year on Symphony and it was both edible and delicious.  As I remembered it from before.  Too bad the offering on some other ships has gone down hill.

• Like 1