The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 7th, 2024

Good morning all!

I'll join Debbie @dfish and Elizabeth @Haljo1935 in the no-sleep club.  Yesterday I wasn't feeling well so took a 30-minute nap on the couch (big mistake).  I'm not a napper, and the few times I've done it, I never can sleep that night.  Last night was no different so today I still don't feel well (tummy, chills, headache etc.) and no sleep too.  I think I may have slept 3 hours.  It will be a very quiet day for me!

Interesting collection of days, funny quote.  I'll pass on the soup but would love the drink (yum!) and the wine.  We've been to Portugal but not this port.  Thank you @tjcox9 and @Quartzsite Cruiser for the great photos.

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for putting my DBIL John on the Rotation List.  As of yesterday he's still recuperating at home and taking it easy (I hope!)  He said he "lost 15% of my brain but I'm still smarter than the average person".  This is John's weird sense of humor, always joking.  But I know this was a sobering wake-up call for him and did scare him.

Maureen @RMLincoln What a great way to celebrate your 70'th!  Congratulations!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Another great tree by your DD -- love it!  So sorry to hear about her foot issues though.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

It's cool today but I still don't really want soup. No on the drink. Our last Pinot Blanc was from the Weis vineyard, so today we'll turn to Dr. Frank's for the just-released 2023, $19.99. "elegant bouquet of white flowers, intertwining with subtle hints of lemon pith and lanolin. On the palate, this wine is rich and round, showcasing a lush texture that complements its dry profile. Flavors of honeydew and gala apple add a refreshing, fruity dimension, while a touch of ginger lends a subtle spice."

I kept an appointment with my TCM practitioner--he says not to cancel because of colds, sinus infections, or bronchitis, because he can treat them, but just to wear a mask--and it helped a lot. Did I mention that one of the many service animals on my flights last week wore a harness reading ACUPUNCTURE DOG? He had not heard of such a thing and can't imagine what the dog would do. Someone else suggested that it might help to calm a person who was afraid of needles, which raised a further question: if so, was the passenger bringing the dog a patient, or the practitioner?

He did know about performing acupuncture on pets and domestic animals, but said he can't legally do it in New York, because there is no licensing for it.

In addition to all the woes on the southeast coast, a storm knocked out electricity over much of northeastern Ohio last night. As of this morning, there were 334,000 customers without power, representing about 2 million people.

Meanderthal.jpg.988d93345ce2d55cde0e87797426813e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Thank you to everyone who make the Daily a special place.

According to the Department of Justice (DOJ)and the Americans Disability Act (ADA), a service animal is a dog that is trained to perform tasks for a person with disability.  I’d love to watch a dog perform acupuncture. Catapuncture is easier to understand.IMG_0789.jpeg.427403ca35e649df0d618764ce2317b7.jpeg

@Sharon in AZIMG_0783.jpeg.411d7537bc267830e04c934037f5e872.jpegThis is on the Rotterdam’s Pinnacle Grill menu for my cruise leaving a week from Saturday. I’d like be to try it and just may but I don’t want a “crab boil” although I make a mean shrimp boilimage000001.thumb.jpeg.be7dbe3b62334b1606b7da94a431e91b.jpeg

Positive thoughts to all who need them. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, 0106 said:

According to the Department of Justice (DOJ)and the Americans Disability Act (ADA), a service animal is a dog that is trained to perform tasks for a person with disability.  I’d love to watch a dog perform acupuncture. Catapuncture is easier to understand.IMG_0789.jpeg.427403ca35e649df0d618764ce2317b7.jpeg

@Sharon in AZIMG_0783.jpeg.411d7537bc267830e04c934037f5e872.jpegThis is on the Rotterdam’s Pinnacle Grill menu for my cruise leaving a week from Saturday. I’d like be to try it and just may but I don’t want a “crab boil” although I make a mean shrimp boilimage000001.thumb.jpeg.be7dbe3b62334b1606b7da94a431e91b.jpeg

Positive thoughts to all who need them. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

That looks like corn, potatoes, sausage and shrimp and no crab.  I would be disappointed if I had paid an upcharge for that.

Ray

• Like 10

when we were on the new Amsterdam last year, DH and I signed up for a Dungeness crab dinner, for 25 $  they must have stayed in the dungeon as we got crab legs. just regular crab legs.  very unimpressed.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:
1 hour ago, 0106 said:

That looks like corn, potatoes, sausage and shrimp and no crab

That is the shrimp boil that I made.  Sorry for the confusion.  What I meant was I didn’t want to be served the red crab legs in a similar presentation at the Pinnacle.

@marshhawkWas the “dungeness crab dinner” the Seafood Boil served in the Lido on the NA last year.  I have absolutely no interest in that experience.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 10

Thanks for ALL the good wishes on our cruise coming fast, like an avalanche!  Brain exploding, didn’t get much sleep but it’s coming together. 
Early this morning we went for haircuts.  We are not morning people. After breakfast we mapped out 3 ways to get to/from Boston. Cost varied by about $150, so it really comes down to what are we comfortable with. We decided to drive. Bought reserved parking at the pier area. CC has great people!  Gleaned a lot from the East Coast Ports board. It’s over $500 to park! but so is everything else when it’s all added together… trains, rental car options, taxis,  overpriced hotels… . DH tells me, if you want to save money, stay home.
We’ll drive up Saturday, that’ll give us contingency time, stay outside Boston and drive in on Sunday morning. We might search out DH’s first home in the Boston boonies where we lived till he was 8, then they moved to the LA boonies. 
Last night we figured out how to check in gosh it seemed different - too late for reserving excursions (we still hope to get to the Viking site) or to have the Princess medallions shipped to us- pick up at terminal. At least they have a process for that/ use the Blue Line.
 Buying the parking was a trial…. It kept turning down DH’s credit card, so called Visa and they said card was fine, it was the vendors site. Downloaded the App- wouldn’t work for the cruise parking. I called customer support, they said try the website… Tried website on my cell instead of DH’s laptop. TA-DA!  Quick screen shot of QR and then scramble to find a device that our printer still likes….  I think we’re good to go!  
I counted out our vitamins (always complex); texted with family, more family, friends and more friends. Usually I’d do a full itinerary for them, nope! This time they got a forwarded cruise confirmation copy. Newfoundland friends will meet us up at the dock in St John’s. I hope our phones work in Canada, haven’t needed that on this new service since we moved to New Jersey. Oiy🤞
DH is resting before dinner. I’m gathering my wits. Neither of us is succeeding but I do think we’ll sleep better tonight. 

Tomorrow is laundry, Friday packing and food giveaway… just bought such beautiful organic produce!  I’ll find someone…. 

Terri, thanks for the yard-water pictures! You know we worry…. Glad it’s not flooding you!  Keep calm and carry on!  Hugs to you both!  

Terry, wishing you and Tana an appropriate amount of boring! 

Jack, strength and comfort from the good times. 💔

Jacqui, the whole shift is stomach-churning! Thank you for the flowers!  You WILL find new flowers, maybe unexpectedly.🫣 I hope you get some rest before it all worsens.  

Debbie, keep up the good fight! 

Pennie, thanks for the work you do “trialing” to make life better for us all!  

Annie, sending a ray of sunshine ☀️ from our soggy mess. You are the inspiration for One day at a time! 

I’m so grateful for you all! Good days and other days, yours and mine. I savor our connection! 

The Princess site says “3 days”!  It’s freaky!  Never before have we done such a thing, and we might never get to again, so here we go—-
May we all stay well and safe!  Maureen 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

@RMLincoln  from one NJ-ite to another.  You will Love Greenland.  I am on return trip from there now.  NJ weather not looking too good for the next few days but if your Canada/greenland weather is anything like ours has been (mind you we missed one stop due to wind and another due to fog, but rest of trip was truly spectacular!) you are in for a treat. Safe travels and enjoy!

• Like 15

Saluting 🫡 💜s.
At my aunt’s (and godmother’s) funeral I watched my cousin pin one of his 3 💜s on her. Said she suffered more than he had!  
May their healing be complete, inside and out. 
m—

• Like 15

1 minute ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

@RMLincoln  from one NJ-ite to another.  You will Love Greenland.  I am on return trip from there now.  NJ weather not looking too good for the next few days but if your Canada/greenland weather is anything like ours has been (mind you we missed one stop due to wind and another due to fog, but rest of trip was truly spectacular!) you are in for a treat. Safe travels and enjoy!

Many thanks!  Greenland has always intrigued me as a geologist. I think it’ll be stunning!  We love the far north and far south places!  

• Like 12

@AroundWithMAPTravels another Jersey girl here, from chatham township, really close to the swamp.  close enough that that was my first volunteer job, cleaning up the trails, and not dealing with people.  running the Tom Lehrer film about pollution....finding a caterpillar in a stage that had not been studied before, he chewed his way out of his screened cage... I miss my swamp.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Thanks for ALL the good wishes on our cruise coming fast, like an avalanche!  Brain exploding, didn’t get much sleep but it’s coming together. 
Early this morning we went for haircuts.  We are not morning people...
DH is resting before dinner. I’m gathering my wits. Neither of us is succeeding but I do think we’ll sleep better tonight.

Tomorrow is laundry, Friday packing and food giveaway… just bought such beautiful organic produce!  I’ll find someone…. 

So exciting - what a wonderful way to celebrate a milestone birthday 🎂 🥳 

Gifting nice produce to your new neighbors is a sure bet for making friends ☺️ an added bonus of a last minute cruise booking!

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise and visit to DH's old stomping grounds.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

So exciting - what a wonderful way to celebrate a milestone birthday 🎂 🥳 

Gifting nice produce to your new neighbors is a sure bet for making friends ☺️ an added bonus of a last minute cruise booking!

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise and visit to DH's old stomping grounds.

Aww, thanks Elizabeth!  Such kindness.  I wish you new successes. No stepping backwards, only a bit sideways. It feels so good for us to get to a stable plateau for a bit!  And what a gift for us to be able to take advantage of it now. Will be sending all positive thoughts! Going to bed early, hope I sleep, you too!   m—

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Good Morning! 🐪 Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information.

We had a bit of a scare at work yesterday, but let me back up to last Friday first. 

There a lot of construction going on around our property (and in the area in general, mostly commercial). Friday someone broke a (main?) water line so water was shut off in a 6-block area. It was determined that water would be off for quite a while, so about 10am we sent everyone home. Thank goodness water was restored about 6pm that evening. 

It’s getting close to the end of the year for us and (unfortunately) I’m finding myself working a few extra hours more and more. I was planning to work late again yesterday but then we were told to evacuate immediately (“this is NOT a drill”) because of a FIRE right outside our property! As I got in my car to leave I could see the smoke and 2 firefighters walking the fence line. And as I drove down the street a fire truck was coming in. Everyone got out and our building is OK. **Lord, please keep all firefighters and first responders safe during this season.**

Thank you all for caring and sharing. Prayers 🙏 for the Care List and Cheers 🎉 for the Celebration List. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

Yikes, Marcia - that is scary.  Glad everyone is safe and your work place is ok.  

• Like 10

An early good morning, after finally catching up on yesterday's Daily.  Our entire neighborhood lost internet service very early yesterday afternoon.  It was still out when we went to bed; so I was thrilled to find it working this morning.  Of course the first thing I did was catch up on the Daily.

21 hours ago, Heartgrove said:
Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Just a quick response today. Lily's new baby sister's name is:

Poppy Linnea Mavie

Two middle names with the first one in honor of their Fertility Doctor. Not sure if they will come home today or tomorrow. 

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Jack, thanks for sharing Poppy's name.  What a nice way to honor you DD's doctor.

21 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  There are many things that are over-packaged; what a waste of plastic.  And my time trying to open them.  I'd love to get some of the fees that professional speakers charge, but I don't know what I'd talk about.  Bless all those who have earned a Purple Heart.

It looks like we had more showers overnight, but this morning the sky is a weird grey-brown colour.   After turning on the radio it appears we have a "special air quality statement" due to smoke from forest fires - after going out the back door, I can understand why, as it smells like somebody just put out their campfire, wet ashes.  We won't be out in it long, but do have to go to the cardiac rehab program, and possibly stop for some groceries on the way home.  I feel for those who have to work outdoors today.

This afternoon we're getting a new garage door opener installed - the old one has certainly done it's job; it came with the house that was built in 1976, but the clicker stopped working about 20 years ago.  It will be nice having an automatic opener in the vehicle so one of us (me) doesn't have to get out in the middle of winter to open the door when we come back from shopping, etc.

@Heartgrovemy heart goes out to you; DH and I will be with you in spirit as you see Sam off on his way to the Rainbow Bridge.   I love the name of your new granddaughter!!

@RMLincolncongratulations on booking your cruise - it's so nice to have something to look forward to!

@kazuI'm sorry you're feeling poorly; you don't need tummy troubles at a time like this!

@marshhawkyour boss had the audacity to write you up?  SMH!!!  Best of luck for Chuck's appointment today.

@Haljo1935good luck with your HR meeting today.

I'd love the drink of the day (have written it down for testing purposes), will let others enjoy the wine and will pass on the soup.  Usually DH has coffee with his bandmates on Wednesdays, but won't be going because of the garage opener installation.  He has told me though, that he really likes the beef sandwiches from Tim's that he's been bringing home on Wednesdays, so I think we'll be heading over there to pick up something to enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, in storms and fires, and in wars not of their making.  Cheers to all who have celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, glad you're got the new garage door opener.

18 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'll join Debbie @dfish and Elizabeth @Haljo1935 in the no-sleep club.  Yesterday I wasn't feeling well so took a 30-minute nap on the couch (big mistake).  I'm not a napper, and the few times I've done it, I never can sleep that night.  Last night was no different so today I still don't feel well (tummy, chills, headache etc.) and no sleep too.  I think I may have slept 3 hours.  It will be a very quiet day for me!

Interesting collection of days, funny quote.  I'll pass on the soup but would love the drink (yum!) and the wine.  We've been to Portugal but not this port.  Thank you @tjcox9 and @Quartzsite Cruiser for the great photos.

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for putting my DBIL John on the Rotation List.  As of yesterday he's still recuperating at home and taking it easy (I hope!)  He said he "lost 15% of my brain but I'm still smarter than the average person".  This is John's weird sense of humor, always joking.  But I know this was a sobering wake-up call for him and did scare him.

Maureen @RMLincoln What a great way to celebrate your 70'th!  Congratulations!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Another great tree by your DD -- love it!  So sorry to hear about her foot issues though.

Carolyn, I hope ypu are feeling better today.

16 hours ago, kochleffel said:

It's cool today but I still don't really want soup. No on the drink. Our last Pinot Blanc was from the Weis vineyard, so today we'll turn to Dr. Frank's for the just-released 2023, $19.99. "elegant bouquet of white flowers, intertwining with subtle hints of lemon pith and lanolin. On the palate, this wine is rich and round, showcasing a lush texture that complements its dry profile. Flavors of honeydew and gala apple add a refreshing, fruity dimension, while a touch of ginger lends a subtle spice."

I kept an appointment with my TCM practitioner--he says not to cancel because of colds, sinus infections, or bronchitis, because he can treat them, but just to wear a mask--and it helped a lot. Did I mention that one of the many service animals on my flights last week wore a harness reading ACUPUNCTURE DOG? He had not heard of such a thing and can't imagine what the dog would do. Someone else suggested that it might help to calm a person who was afraid of needles, which raised a further question: if so, was the passenger bringing the dog a patient, or the practitioner?

He did know about performing acupuncture on pets and domestic animals, but said he can't legally do it in New York, because there is no licensing for it.

In addition to all the woes on the southeast coast, a storm knocked out electricity over much of northeastern Ohio last night. As of this morning, there were 334,000 customers without power, representing about 2 million people.

Meanderthal.jpg.988d93345ce2d55cde0e87797426813e.jpg

Paul, glad your TCM practioner helped yesterday.

15 hours ago, 0106 said:

Tina, that looks a lot like the crayfish boils we used to attend in The Woodlands.

13 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Early this morning we went for haircuts.  We are not morning people. After breakfast we mapped out 3 ways to get to/from Boston. Cost varied by about $150, so it really comes down to what are we comfortable with. We decided to drive. Bought reserved parking at the pier area. CC has great people!  Gleaned a lot from the East Coast Ports board. It’s over $500 to park! but so is everything else when it’s all added together… trains, rental car options, taxis,  overpriced hotels… . DH tells me, if you want to save money, stay home.
We’ll drive up Saturday, that’ll give us contingency time, stay outside Boston and drive in on Sunday morning. We might search out DH’s first home in the Boston boonies where we lived till he was 8, then they moved to the LA boonies. 
Last night we figured out how to check in gosh it seemed different - too late for reserving excursions (we still hope to get to the Viking site) or to have the Princess medallions shipped to us- pick up at terminal. At least they have a process for that/ use the Blue Line.
 Buying the parking was a trial…. It kept turning down DH’s credit card, so called Visa and they said card was fine, it was the vendors site. Downloaded the App- wouldn’t work for the cruise parking. I called customer support, they said try the website… Tried website on my cell instead of DH’s laptop. TA-DA!  Quick screen shot of QR and then scramble to find a device that our printer still likes….  I think we’re good to go!  
I counted out our vitamins (always complex); texted with family, more family, friends and more friends. Usually I’d do a full itinerary for them, nope! This time they got a forwarded cruise confirmation copy. Newfoundland friends will meet us up at the dock in St John’s. I hope our phones work in Canada, haven’t needed that on this new service since we moved to New Jersey. Oiy🤞

Terri, thanks for the yard-water pictures! You know we worry…. Glad it’s not flooding you!  Keep calm and carry on!  Hugs to you both!  

Terry, wishing you and Tana an appropriate amount of boring! 

Jack, strength and comfort from the good times. 💔

Jacqui, the whole shift is stomach-churning! Thank you for the flowers!  You WILL find new flowers, maybe unexpectedly.🫣 I hope you get some rest before it all worsens.  

Debbie, keep up the good fight! 

Pennie, thanks for the work you do “trialing” to make life better for us all!  

Annie, sending a ray of sunshine ☀️ from our soggy mess. You are the inspiration for One day at a time! 

I’m so grateful for you all! Good days and other days, yours and mine. I savor our connection! 

The Princess site says “3 days”!  It’s freaky!  Never before have we done such a thing, and we might never get to again, so here we go—-
May we all stay well and safe!  Maureen 

Maureen, I'm glad you got everything lined up for your cruise.  I can understand what it was like to do at the last minute, but we had even less time.  We booked a cruise at 2pm the day before the cruise, and got everything done.  Then, drove to the port the next morning.  Enjoy your cruise.

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

16 hours ago, 0106 said:

I’d love to watch a dog perform acupuncture. Catapuncture is easier to understand.

DaVinci seems to want to expand his scope of practice to include acupuncture, but I can tell you that he has no idea where the meridians are.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8