Best Hotel post cruise Sydney

If you want to look around Sydney a bit then a hotel near the Cruise Terminal may be best, or at least in the CBD. The Rendezvous is close and normally moderately priced.

If you wantva airport hotel, then the Rydges at International airport is best located although anything near Mascot will have both public transport and a airport shuttle.

Don't stay near the airport. It's an uninteresting area.  There are many good hotels close to the cruise port, and lots to see.  It would help if you indicated your budget per night in Australian dollars.

On 8/8/2024 at 2:03 AM, goattyer65 said:

Looking for recommendations for a hotel to stay  at after our cruise  don’t know if it would be better to stay at an airport hotel or does it really matter

We stayed at the Sydney Boulevard Hotel and booked directly with the hotel. It is located right in the CBD, good location. Excellent buffet breakfast was included. HoHo bus stop right at the front door. Great way to see the city. Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all jumping on this post to ask fot more recommendations except for PRE cruising in Sydney 

Would like to be in walking distance to circular quay maybe? 

Some of you post beautiful pictures of the ship's in port too.

Would love some more suggestions of a decent place but with a price that doesn't  cost more than the average per day on a cruise (Am I asking too much)

1 hour ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

Hi all jumping on this post to ask fot more recommendations except for PRE cruising in Sydney 

Would like to be in walking distance to circular quay maybe? 

Some of you post beautiful pictures of the ship's in port too.

Would love some more suggestions of a decent place but with a price that doesn't  cost more than the average per day on a cruise (Am I asking too much)

We're booked into Parkroyal Darling Harbour pre and post cruise. It has good reviews and reasonably priced plus easy access to cafes etc in Darling Harbour. We're happy to catch a cab to Circular Quay as my husband has some walking limitations..

• Thanks 1

I’m looking at the Rendezvous for one night precruise in November. It’s a short stroll to the OPT. 

The Great Southern Hotel is another consideration for a more affordable, entry level hotel in the CBD. 

• Thanks 1

Also vote for the Great Southern for a good price (for Sydney that is). Closer to the harbour, look at the Grace. There is a light rail line that runs along George Street to Circular Quay. You can catch it to the port even with luggage. There are no steps to get on or off and a place inside the doors where you can sit with luggage. Pay with a credit card.

• Thanks 1

If you are looking at a view for a [more] reasonable price, have a look at View North Sydney. Particularly if you are a train traveller, it is pretty much on top of North Sydney station. Walk downhill (approx 1km) to the ferry to Circular Quay or Darling Harbour from Milsons Point, or 100m to the train to Wynyard then another around to CQ. Check the price to have a harbour bridge view - it is worth the extra few dollars.

I would generally second the Marriott, as it is a best of both worlds for us. Currently the prices there are up a fair bit, so much that you may as well Marry it. 

Edited by arxcards
  • Thanks 1

In 2018 we stayed at what is now called the Sydney Harbour hotel - virtually right next to the cruise terminal - great location for the cruise terminal and for exploring the Rocks / harbour bridge

After our cruise we stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel - it was a bit of a walk from the cruise terminal with 2 large suitcases, but was a nice hotel

make sure you inform the hotel of your early arrival off the cruise ship and they might be able have your room ready early..... we made the mistake of not doing this, and when we got to the hotel after our cruise we had to wait about 2 hours for our room to be ready.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Muffinz said:

In 2018 we stayed at what is now called the Sydney Harbour hotel - virtually right next to the cruise terminal - great location for the cruise terminal and for exploring the Rocks / harbour bridge

After our cruise we stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel - it was a bit of a walk from the cruise terminal with 2 large suitcases, but was a nice hotel

make sure you inform the hotel of your early arrival off the cruise ship and they might be able have your room ready early..... we made the mistake of not doing this, and when we got to the hotel after our cruise we had to wait about 2 hours for our room to be ready.

Many Sydney hotels are following a growing trend, where if you want an early check-in, it can be made available for a fee. Alternatively, it can be negotiated if you book direct and are paying the advertised rate and it also helps if you have a loyalty membership with them.  Even if your room is ready, they will prefer to have you drop your bags till close to the advertised check-in time.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2024 at 4:03 PM, goattyer65 said:

Looking for recommendations for a hotel to stay  at after our cruise  don’t know if it would be better to stay at an airport hotel or does it really matter

How long are you staying? Do you have mobility issues or is there any real need to be close to terminal post cruise?

Also, check out reviews on Trip Advisor for any that seem ok.

• 2 weeks later...

@bennybear my friend and I love staying at the Mercantile Hotel. If you can deal with stairs (the staff will help you get your bags up) and shared bathrooms (between 2 rooms, we have never had to wait or found it dirty) it is a lot of fun, friendly staff and really good musicians Friday, Saturday and Sunday if you are there for any of those days. It is also right on the road that is closed every weekend for The Rocks Markets, which offers great food and art/craft items.

I did hear that they were planning to close and renovate so you would have to check your dates but as a group of friends, we have always had a great stay there!

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have an opinion or experience with the Lord Nelson Brewery hotel. I am considering staying there pre & post cruise next year. It seems to have good ratings and seems walkable to the cruise ship pier, but I am just looking for any first or second had experiences. Thanks.

The Lord Nelson is a pub with a few rooms on the second and third floors above the ground floor bars and the first floor restaurant. You have to carry your luggage up two or three flights of stairs. You get what you pay for with accommodation right in The Rocks, which is not a budget area.

You could look at the Rendezvous Hotel or the Harbour Rocks Hotel opposite it. They are more expensive (but modest by Sydney standards), but much closer to Circular Quay.

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

I recommend Marriot at Circular quay, stone's throw from cruise terminal. Have attached a pic from my window there pre Coral Princess cruise.50021B8C-689F-48A6-AAA6-4AFB4EAF5FC8.thumb.jpeg.577531b0850eb4f71426d1d99c79f30e.jpeg

Good photo which demonstrates just how close the Marriot is to the OPT, which is why it is so popular with cruisers from USA in particular.  

• Like 1