Carnival Paradise tilted on 1 side August 11th Sailing

Just got off a 4 Day Carnival Paradise Cruise and on Aug. 12th we had to turn around to meet a Coast Guard Chopper for a medical emergency.   At one point the Ship tilted very far on its side (some folks saying water was up to almost 8 deck windows).      We were in our cabin when this happened but the Captain got on the horn and said something happened and they are in contact with their engineers in the Miami office.

This was pretty much the last we heard of it.    Anyone else hear anything about this?

9 hours ago, Howie411 said:

Just got off a 4 Day Carnival Paradise Cruise and on Aug. 12th we had to turn around to meet a Coast Guard Chopper for a medical emergency.   At one point the Ship tilted very far on its side (some folks saying water was up to almost 8 deck windows).      We were in our cabin when this happened but the Captain got on the horn and said something happened and they are in contact with their engineers in the Miami office.

This was pretty much the last we heard of it.    Anyone else hear anything about this?

I was in my cabin on deck 6 (Upper Deck), on the side the ship listed toward (starboard), and never saw any water on the window.  My buddy and I just thought the ship was turning to meet the Coast Guard, but we did hear stuff sliding around in the hallway.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Howie411 said:

some folks saying water was up to almost 8 deck windows

If that were true you would have known it. How did it feel onboard?

• Like 1

If water was almost up to the deck 8 windows that means the balconies on decks 5,6 and 7 on that side of the ship were under water for a bit.(yes, there are only a few, but still.)   Sometimes when ships "tilt" it feels much more severe than it really is.

• Like 3

When a cruise ship makes a too rapid turn at too high a speed, it is subject to "turn induced heel", where the ship heels over away from the turn.  This has happened a few times in the past that I know of, once or twice on Princess ships, and once on the NCL Sky.  While the list was less than 25* on the Sky, it resulted in about 120 pax being disembarked in Vancouver for hospital treatment.  Not hearing reports of this kind of injuries, nor the OP reporting massive damage to the dishware or booze in bars, I don't believe the ship listed more than 10*.

What was found in those prior cases that I mention, was that the bridge officer used the autopilot to turn the ship, and it responded too quickly for the speed of the ship.

And, yes, if the water was near deck 8, the deck 5 balcony doors would have been 20 feet underwater, and the ship would have been flooding.  Again, no mention by the OP about this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, yes, if the water was near deck 8, the deck 5 balcony doors would have been 20 feet underwater, and the ship would have been flooding. 

Some unexpected sharp heeling would have been a relatively minor inconvenience compared to this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

When a cruise ship makes a too rapid turn at too high a speed, it is subject to "turn induced heel", where the ship heels over away from the turn.  This has happened a few times in the past that I know of, once or twice on Princess ships, and once on the NCL Sky.  While the list was less than 25* on the Sky, it resulted in about 120 pax being disembarked in Vancouver for hospital treatment.  Not hearing reports of this kind of injuries, nor the OP reporting massive damage to the dishware or booze in bars, I don't believe the ship listed more than 10*.

What was found in those prior cases that I mention, was that the bridge officer used the autopilot to turn the ship, and it responded too quickly for the speed of the ship.

And, yes, if the water was near deck 8, the deck 5 balcony doors would have been 20 feet underwater, and the ship would have been flooding.  Again, no mention by the OP about this.

Grandeur we tilted. Everything in the buffet fell over. I felt so sorry for the crew who had a mess to pick up. Some said they didnt use the stabilizers and were too cheap to run them idk. But we tilted. Happens. 

Dream in January we went thru a storm and water came in the 5th deck across the public walkways. Captain made everyone go to their cabins. That was a first. Never been ordered to my cabin. 

I like storms myself but feel bad for the crew. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Some said they didnt use the stabilizers and were too cheap to run them idk

Complete hogwash.  Stabilizers won't stop a ship from listing, they won't even stop or reduce rolling.  You would need a "wing" about the size of the ship to stop it from rolling.  Stabilizers do one thing, and one thing only, they slow the period (time it takes to complete a roll from one side to the other) of the roll, enough to make it more comfortable.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, pe4all said:

If water was almost up to the deck 8 windows that means the balconies on decks 5,6 and 7 on that side of the ship were under water for a bit.(yes, there are only a few, but still.)   Sometimes when ships "tilt" it feels much more severe than it really is.

If this were the case it would be all over the news.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I wonder how many large pieces of ice fell on to the bow of the ship when it swerved to avoid the iceberg.

LOL...I bet they could make a pretty good movie with this as a starting point! 

• Haha 1

Similar thing happened on a cruise I was on Sunshine about 2 years ago. I noticed all the water in my shower was on one side, (I knew I wasn't that drunk! LOL) and we were leaning hard. Turns out same situation - medical emergency, we had to turn around to drop off a passenger.

Wife and I have cruised a lot, but that was a first for us. Several crew we talked to acted like it was nothing special, happens all the time...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

My "Exaggeration Meter" pegged on this report... 😀

My meter is called something else, and it went to overload and the sprinklers came on. 🙂

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I wonder how many large pieces of ice fell on to the bow of the ship when it swerved to avoid the iceberg.

Now that I think about it... it DID get really cold when it happened!!!

Posted (edited)

Looked at picture of Paraise, if water had come to 8th deck, it would be on it's side.

Still an alarming thing to happen out of the blue, even if to deck 3.

Edited by DeniseTr
Spelling g
  • Like 1