The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 20th, 2024

richwmn

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@MISTER 67 I am the one who asked you yesterday if you aren't a HAL fan, do you visit us on the Daily for camaraderie. I meant no disrespect and thought it tongue in cheek. Anyone who knows me here will attest I am one of the good guys. I'm sorry if you were insulted! 

You are one of the nicest people on here Joy @Seasick Sailor .

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Fabulous collection of photos Sandi and thank you so much for sharing them.

Thanks Graham.  I'm happy you enjoyed them.

27 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I found the post and think it was more of an observation rather than asking @MISTER 67 not to continue posting on the daily.  I think I posted that prematurely.

Roy

I found it too and agree there was nothing meant by it.  Like you said an observation.

25 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Dunedin, New Zealand:

nz-01.thumb.webp.8ff8cbe389a9307e1c0c3c917f60577c.webp

30093026463_61afa1cb3d_b.thumb.jpg.ea417472e60d99d9eca4ca101e2928a4.jpg

Volendam.jpg.28a011cfaef638301b90fd57bf44a3c5.jpg

13305983041566.thumb.jpg.c97b253fe66afe713e726ee40942dc94.jpg

I was told once that Whittaker's chocolates were better than Cadbury's so I bought some Whittaker's chocolate bars for my favorite bar staff, Lido staff, and our room steward while Down Under.  They were most appreciative.  Delicious!

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@MISTER 67 I am the one who asked you yesterday if you aren't a HAL fan, do you visit us on the Daily for camaraderie. I meant no disrespect and thought it tongue in cheek. Anyone who knows me here will attest I am one of the good guys. I'm sorry if you were insulted! 

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@MISTER 67 My post was from Lobster

"I'm sorry you have given up on our favorite cruise line: Holland America. So do you join us on the Daily for our camaraderie?"

I meant no disrespect. Honest.

I can see no disrespect or malice at all in that comment and hope @MISTER 67 will realize you were only asking if he enjoyed our company here.  Please come back to the Daily @MISTER 67 !!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Now that my apology was posted..

Good morning Dailyites 

Oh it will be so hot here today! 106!

My car is due for it's 20,000 mile check up, so will have that done at 9.

As Debbie @dfish mentioned, I will be on pins and needles for my sister's surgery today. My nieces promise to text me with any updates.

@kazu, Jacqui, I wanted to cry along with you this morning. Many memories in your home with Jose and all your sweet animals who have crossed the rainbow bridge, your lovely flowers and gardens, but new ones await. Wow on all those offers. Now I'm teary!

Sandi, between you and Lenda, your pictures are gorgeous. Is there any place you 2 still have on your bucket list? Lol

Prayers lifted for each of our Daily-ites 

And holy cow!! Look at all the cruisers! 

@0106 thanks for your live thread. I'm too chicken to post one, but will send a note here when I can on our Japan cruise.

Blessings to all this day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Couldn't log in, doing some sort of update..

Shark Bite cocktail:

Ingredients:

2 cups ice cubes, divided
2 oz. simple syrup
3/4 oz. spiced rum
3/4 oz. light rum
1/2 oz. Blue Curacao
1/2 oz. lime juice
3 drops grenadine syrup, or as needed

Directions:

Fill a cocktail shaker with 1 cup ice. Add simple syrup, spiced rum, light rum, blue Curaçao, and lime juice. Cover and shake until the outside of the shaker has frosted, 10 to 15 seconds.

Fill a glass with remaining 1 cup ice. Strain cocktail over ice in the glass. Add drops of grenadine to cocktail.

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 6.45.43 AM.png

Not for me. Don’t want to know what a shark bite feels like! 😳😬😩

• Like 11
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I have not sailed on HAL so I don't post on their threads because I don't have first-hand experience to offer but I do post on the Daily because it is a friendly interesting thread, and everyone makes me welcome whether I have sailed HAL or not.

The person who starts the thread in this case Rich @richwmn is the only person who if he asked me not to post because I had not sailed HAL I would listen to.

@MISTER 67 you are highly respected on here and all of the main contributors on here respect and like you so listen to us and ignore nasty people.

Your dailyite friend.

Graham.

@MISTER 67 I agree with this statement and I hope you reconsider.

Most of us who read and post on the Daily Report thread come here because we share news (some about cruises, some personal, etc.) and for the most part is a positive experience. I admit I am HAL loyalist (or some call a "cheerleader"), however several of the people who post on this thread go on other cruise lines and others do not cruise at all anymore. That doesn't stop any of them from posting here at all. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

Wow, it is chilly out this morning.  It got down to 50F and the house is at 63 right now.  Sweater weather this morning!  We are expecting sunshine and a high of 71F, so it will be on the cool side most of the day.  I have yoga this morning and then the day is free for trying on clothes and deciding what I am taking with me on this cruise.  Yesterday I tried on a pair of white jeans that I had bought two years ago.  When I bought them they were too snug and I couldn't get them buttoned and zipped.  They fit just fine now!  They are in the suitcase!  

@kazu Congratulations on getting the price you wanted along with easily met conditions.  We are all pulling for you!  I hope the vascular surgeon has good advice for you.

@MISTER 67 I echo what the others have said.  

@NextOne  Healing thoughts are sent your way for today's surgery.  Here's hoping the medical team is at the top today.

@Seasick Sailor  Keeping Bonnie close to our hearts today as she undergoes surgery.  Hugs to you, too, as we know you are sitting on pins and needles.  

What is a carrot dog and what is Chicago style?  Easy answers to both.  

Chicago-style hot dog, Chicago Dog, or Chicago Red Hot is an all-beef frankfurter on a poppy seed bun, originating from the city of Chicago, Illinois. The hot dog is topped with yellow mustard, chopped white onions, bright green sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sport peppers (a variety of Capsicum annuum), and a dash of celery salt. The complete assembly of a Chicago hot dog is said to be "dragged through the garden" due to the many toppings. The method for cooking the hot dog itself varies depending on the vendor's preference. Most often they are steamed, water-simmered, or less often grilled over charcoal.

The canonical recipe does not include ketchup, and there is a widely shared, strong opinion among many Chicagoans and aficionados that ketchup is unacceptable.  A number of Chicago hot dog vendors do not offer ketchup as a condiment.

A carrot dog is simply a carrot substituted for the hot dog.  Which kind of takes it out the definition of Chicago Style since it isn't an all beef frankfurter.  Oh, well.  For the carrot lovers among us, here's the first recipe:  Chicago Style Carrot Dogs

carrotdogs1.png.93fdfd50edd023b721c48a5d255add8e.png

In this recipe the carrots are first boiled, then marinated to give them flavor.  Carrot Dogs Chicago Style

carrotdogs2.jpg.c213c33d240eb52f3cd68816ca28203f.jpg

The marinade for these carrot dogs is different.  The carrots are marinated for at least 8 hours, overnight is better.  Then they are grilled.  Marinated Carrot Dogs Chicago Style

carrotdogs3.thumb.png.295435cc4bae7d9f361fa70939f4ae3d.png

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Feed to Bugs Bunny but not to me! 😀

• Like 11
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

This morning after driving Pauline to work I bought breakfast at a drive thru and drove a mile to the nearest beach.

It started to rain heavily after I took the photo.

IMG_20240820_075737.jpg

IMG_20240820_080945.jpg

OK, watch that diet!

• Like 17

Good morning from a mostly sunny central Texas where it will probably be our hottest day so far with a predicted high of 104F.  Beginning tomorrow, our high temperatures will gradually go down to normal summer highs.  Right now it is 80F and feels like 83F with 66% humidity and a dew point of 67F.  I wish I was staying in keeping cool today, but unfortunately I'm heading to the dentist this morning for what will be, for me, the worst part of the implant process.  They will be making the impressions.  This is one procedure they can't use the digital wand to make the impressions.  I will survive, but it probably won't be pretty.  At least, my dentist is understanding.

Accessible air travel is important.  We don't listen to the radio as much as in the past.  Thanks to Graham, @grapau27  I will honor world mosquito day and the meaning behind it.

Another funny quote from a funny man, George Carlin.

A hard pass on the Chicago-style carrot dogs.  Yes, I like cooked carrots, but not as a hot dog.  We'll pass on the drink.  When we were in Australia, we had several bottles of Pinfolds which we enjoyed, but not the Shiraz.  I'll pass on the Shiraz, the one red wine I don't like.

We have not been to Dunedin.  I have enjoyed seeing the pictures, and hope to get there someday.

A good day in 1741 when Vitus Bering first sighted Alaska.  I've always enjoyed the 1812 Overture.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Welcome home, Laura.

@StLouisCruisers  Glad you found some shoes you liked yesterday, Sandi.

@kazu  Jacqui, congratulations on the house sale and getting what you thought the house is worth.  Wow, 16 offers!  It's natural to be weepy and sad leaving the house you and Jose loved for so many years.  I hope the visit with the vascular surgeon goes well.

@LambKnuckles  I'm sorry your father contracted malaria, Lambie.

@aliaschief  Bruce, that's good news your lawn service could work you into the new schedule.  Safe travels tomorrow.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, sending positive thoughts today for a successful surgery and a good recovery for Bonnie.  I read your first post just after I posted my post to @MISTER 67.  We all know you would never deliberately or offend anyone. 

455288949_475475608608451_4366451371680809480_n.jpg.2bafb253b4cd60ef24379b2f287b6e92.jpg

455864239_122209781774020743_1731415140117124575_n.jpg.fc895e317d7f15ec6a57b7da6846d2b4.jpg

455884111_122168071682159528_6652666032788914451_n.jpg.c0c691096923f6a276a71785bd014f42.jpg

455948029_464736906393213_4471010246294403577_n.jpg.cd4d687f1e88a7f3e128f54b95b18479.jpg

455960929_122208184268010688_6566582749434228368_n.jpg.7ef3f0ba28915023695e694adc722943.jpg

455878589_10226151448115817_7608316764730063426_n.jpg.3476594c9b86433a51a83051e13bfcbe.jpg

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 15

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good morning.

I haven’t been a fan of HAL for a while, at one time it was our favorite cruise line but I believe the company has lost its way.

Yesterday in another thread someone questioned why I continue to post on the Daily Report, maybe they thought I was a hypocrite so this will be my last post on the Daily, it was fun and I really enjoyed interacting with all of you. 
Have a great day, stay well and safe.

The same thing was done to me about a year ago.  i, also, no longer sail on HAL for similar reasons and was asked why I post on the Daily.  I will not say who asked me.  At first I was going to stop posting and thought better of it.  I thought to myself “who was she/he to tell me where I should post.”  I have continued to post.  

I am sorry you feel the way you do.  

I hope you reconsider.  There are plenty of others who sail on other cruise lines who post here. I thought everyone was welcome here.  

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

Dunedin, NZ. Cruise story. First went there on cruise in 2002. Decided to tour the Cadbury Chocolote Factory, which is now closed. It was a great tour but nothing was free. I brought one of those “everlasting gob stuffers”, and it only lasted five minutes in my month. False Advisterising! We were required to wear hair nets and for me a beard net on the tour. We passed this milk truck where the driver was unloading 5000 gallons of milk into a holding tank and I told him, “We are all having a bad hair day.” 😀

• Like 11
  • Haha 10

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good morning.

I haven’t been a fan of HAL for a while, at one time it was our favorite cruise line but I believe the company has lost its way.

Yesterday in another thread someone questioned why I continue to post on the Daily Report, maybe they thought I was a hypocrite so this will be my last post on the Daily, it was fun and I really enjoyed interacting with all of you. 
Have a great day, stay well and safe.

Mister 67, please reconsider! If not, I will along with my hunting dog, Blu, come to Port Charlotte, search for you, find you and demand you continue posting of this thread! Besides, how will I ever know when you shoot your age at golf! I’m still trying too, but I may not make it to 104 years! 😀

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  It's 72, says its sunny , yup and I have no idea how warm it will get today.  I like to read all the posts, before I post, and I had the pleasure of OllieBearArosa on the desk with me, his little paws wrapped around my arm, while he was trying to bite my elbow.  I couldnt have responded for 3 pages, if I wanted to.  I would not turn my Ollie away...his little claws are like needles, but his teeth chewing on me was done with love, so no pain there.

@MISTER 67 I have never felt that this wonderful thread was for just people who cruised HAL. I stalked this thread for a while, because I wanted information regarding HAL, and when I realized that no one was going to jump down my internet throat for asking questions I apologized for being HAL ignorant and jumped right in.  What I found here, is what I find every day that I come here, a group of friends who have cruising, love of travel, land or sea, food, pets, in common.  I found a group of compassionate people who care for each other, those who are going through rough times, that sometimes don't have a physical person in front of them to talk to.  People who are going through great times, and want to share.  People who are faced every day with something, and we read, we laugh, we cry and we hold each other in our hearts.  And that is the Daily.  Not a HAL club, so please don't leave.  

Well our afternoon raccoon has been coming by for 4 days now.  He is getting used to me telling him that he is not a cat, and instead of running away and going to the side  yard, he now just cowers under the dead car, until I come back in the house, and goes back to investigating the porch and car port.  The cats only make a statement to him when I go out and tell him he's not a cat.  Cats could care less.

I checked in on Momma Munchkin this morning, she ate her breakfast, and she has managed to get in the window ledge on her own. I took off the collar last night, we shall see how she does.  They wanted to leave that collar on her for 7 days, it was way too big for her, and way too tight.  And she is still too sore to move, but it might have to go back on in a couple of days. When she becomes more aware.

When the mosquitos were mentioned, I really didn't think about celebrating them, but being aware of them and the diseases they can give you. Last month our county announced that there had been 20 cases of dengue fever.

Dengue (DENG-gey) fever is a mosquito-borne illness that occurs in tropical and subtropical areas of the world. Mild dengue fever causes a high fever and flu-like symptoms. The severe form of dengue fever, also called dengue hemorrhagic fever, can cause serious bleeding, a sudden drop in blood pressure (shock) and death.

Millions of cases of dengue infection occur worldwide each year"

d5a1ad0dbbe78078bcff651a350da635.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

@kazu Congratulations on 16 offers, and one confirmed winner!  I do hope that winner is one of your favorites from the showing. Yes tears, no question. Many hugs are sent your way for happy and for melancholy. 

I rarely comment on the food items, although I always check out what @dfish has found for us. But carrot dog?  That is just wrong. 
I am extremely envious of those of you enjoying cooler weather. In Tulsa we are not quite as smoldering as Dallas, but awfully close. September is coming! 

• Like 31

Good morning. Things are a bit busy today so I will be very brief.

Sending my prayers for Bonnie @Seasick Sailor and @NextOne today.

@kazu, Jacqui, I am so happy that you received so many offers and hope the time frame works out as well. It is totally understandable to be weepy at the prospect of leaving the beautiful home you shared with Jose.

Have a good day all.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Forgot about the George Carlin quote. Very funny guy. I liked his take on food.

”I left food in the refrigerator so long I could not tell if it was meat or cake.”

”When you cut open a tomato, it looks like something went wrong inside.”

” A banana and cucumber…. I better not go any further.😳

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

@MISTER 67  "Yesterday in another thread someone questioned why I continue to post on the Daily Report, maybe they thought I was a hypocrite so this will be my last post on the Daily, it was fun and I really enjoyed interacting with all of you."

Please don't stop !  Before I moved to North Carolina, I looked carefully at Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte.  That didn't work out, so I settled here and often wonder what I passed up 🙂  So I really appreciate reading your daily posts.  We don't care which cruise line you sail on -- some people are just _____ (fill in the blank -- I don't want to get suspended).  Please stay.  I, for one, would miss you!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Accessible air travel is a necessity, definitely appreciate listening to the radio every day, and have no appreciation for mosquitos at all.  

It's a partly sunny, partly cloudy day out there for us this morning, but according to the folks on the radio, it's going to get up to 32(89) later this afternoon.  We've got all the windows open right now and there's a nice cool breeze coming in; we'll have to shut them in about an hour to help keep the cool in and the warm out.  I'm sure the a/c will be in use later this afternoon, but I'm not complaining - the cooler weather will be coming soon enough!

@Seasick Sailorsending prayers for Bonnie and her medical team today.

@NextOnesending prayers for you and your medical team as well for a successful surgery.

@TiogaCruiserBon Voyage!

@kazucongratulations on getting a good offer on your house; being teary is understandable, as your home has so many wonderful memories attached to it.  Take lots of photos and carry them with you to help keep those memories fresh. I hope the vascular surgeon has some answers for you that will help with your pain and dizziness.

Not much happening for us today, but I have to refresh the 2 spare bedrooms as the grandchildren of the friends we visited on the weekend are coming to Saskatoon for a major concert tomorrow and we offered them a place to stay, rather than heading out on the highway after the concert in the middle of the night.  They're a brother and sister and are as sweet as can be, so we're really looking forward to having them here.

No photo description available.

I'd like the drink of the day - it's the only type of shark bite I ever want to have, would like the wine, but about the meal of the day . . . DH would be asking "Where's the beef?"  I love the description about it being "dragged through the garden" though, gave me a good giggle.  I've got a couple of burgers thawing in the fridge that DH will either do on the grill or I'll pop into the air fryer and we'll have them along with some Caesar salad on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, in wars not of their making, and in the paths of destructive fires, floods and storms.  Cheers to all with celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 32

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny and somewhat cool today. 

Busy today with the usual. Should get outside today. 

Oh, and I just became a certified travel advisor to add to my many businesses. Past that exam today. 

@MISTER 67, no one should tell your where to post. You are most welcome here. I do sail HAL and also NCL. My next cruise in 50 days is on NCL. I plan to sail other lines as well. This is a place of friendship and connection regardless of which cruise line you sail. So please, stay. 

Bon Voyage to @TiogaCruiser!

Pin on Cats

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

101 Funny Tuesday Memes When You're Happy You Made It | Work memes ...

• Like 30

Good morning to all.  Happy Tuesday.

I hope everyone is doing well.  

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie and Ann for your contributions.

Today we were able to get a dermatology appointment for Jim.

We go to the Mayo Clinic next week for me.  I have three appointments in one day.  At that time I will also talk to the PCP about Malaria Meds for our Amazon Cruise.

I hope all are doing well,

i have an appointment soon so I have to go.

Will post later.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 26

ScreenShot2024-08-20at07_07_44.png.074bdb3bf1e2efa87b8e90b38fe3286e.png

Thanks for the daily and fleet report. I just have to put this in first:  Please @MISTER 67, don't leave.  I don't necessarily think of this thread as a HAL only thread but one of "friends from around the world" sharing and supporting each other.  I hope you reconsider.

ScreenShot2024-08-19at20_30_19.thumb.png.c44e3b4cecba2b2fc8fe813d7e25de3a.png

While I like bugs, I squish mosquitos BUT I will celebrate the meaning of the day as well as the other 2 days.  George Carlin is one of my favorite comedians and his take on the English language and its inconsistencies is remarkable.  I think I would like to try the drink (its pretty!), the wine is too expensive, never been to NZ.  Now the meal - why, just why??? 🤨

ScreenShot2024-08-19at20_38_43.thumb.png.09b8e319d820af5520cf681bf06c5039.png

Beautiful end of summer day and not as muggy as it has been.  Presently at ~0700 it is 80F with 55% humidity going up to ~101F with a chance of thunderstorms.  I frequently check in on the Juneau webcam (thanks @leerathje) to see their weather just as a contrast.  I think I will stay here!!

Had a great time yesterday.  The high school I subbed at has banned mobile phones during class (actually, I think it was the entire district but I am not sure).  No warning, no chances, nada!!  I think it is a great thing.  I noticed how much the students were actually doing some work during class compared to last year.  As the teacher was on campus, I asked her about any blowback from either parents or students.  She said very, very little.  Hmmmmm, I hope they can sustain it for the entire year.

IMG_8237.thumb.JPG.32c408fd1fbeca967b024d40fab04def.JPG

While I could have worked today, I am keeping my promise not to work too much.  I will have worked 11 days in August and have 12 scheduled for September.  It will finance a nice cruising fund!!  😉

@NextOne Thoughts for you on surgery day and I hope @Seasick Sailor's DSis has an uncomplicated surgery also.

@TiogaCruiser Bon Voyage!!  Have a fantastic time!

Welcome home @Horizon chaser 1957

@kazu Congrats on the sale.  Starting a new chapter in one's life is full of tears and smiles.  Memories will be in your heart as you begin another phase holding those memories dear and close.

RIP Phil Donahue - that was sad to read.  Thoughts for all needing extra support and cheers for those celebrating.  Boy the cruising list is getting bigger and bigger.  Have a fantastic day everyone!!

IMG_8238.thumb.JPG.61da1d02b444954bfc6e3a4986ea36c8.JPG

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1