The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 22nd, 2024

richwmn

Posted (edited)

Today is Eat a Peach Day, National Bao Day, and National Surgical Oncologist Day

Life will always be to a large extent what we ourselves make it. - Samuel Smiles

Meal Suggestion for today - French Onion Soup
Drink of the Day - Rum Chata
Wine of the Day - Silver Beach Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland

Today in History:
1779 James Cook Lands on Possession Island
1851 The First America’s Cup is held
1864 First Geneva Convention adopted in Geneva "for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded in Armies in the Field" signed by 12 nations

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Ketchikan, Alaska   0630-1400  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Juneau, Alaska   0800-1700  

Nieuw Statendam --- 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer
Firth of Forth   -ovn--1600  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
Skagway, Alaska   0700-2100  

Oosterdam --- 7 days, round-trip All Star Irish Cruise
At Sea Destination Rhodes, Greece   eta 08-23  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Norse Legends
Stavenger, Norway      

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
Saint John, New Brunswick   0700-1430  

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Escape With Effy
Sitka, Alaska   0800-1600  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
At Sea Destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska   eta 08-23  

Zuiderdam --- 35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings
Halifax, Nova Scotia   0800-2300  

0822Alaska1.thumb.png.5e2c824149d00daae1d24cb07fb49320.png

0822Alaska.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 30

Today’s Care List:

Heartgrove’s DSIL having surgery today for tri-malleolar ankle fracture

NextOne post hip surgery

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie post breast surgery

Vict0riann’s DH Pat taken to the ER yesterday; probable viral pneumonia

Dfish and Sharon in AZ traveling to Boston today

Lindaler’s DS with an emergency situation

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Kazu post vascular surgery with continued pain

Seasick Sailor’s DH All with weight loss

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage to Lady Hudson (Katherine)!

Happy 43rd Anniversary to grapau27 & paw13 (Graham & Pauline)!

Happy 79th Birthday to Superoma’s DH!

Kazu accepting an offer on her house

Lazey1’s DS Tony making slow improvement

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

2 days for Dfish (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

2 days for Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

3 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

3 days for Dobiemom (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, RMLincoln (Emerald Princess to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada, Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary, 0106 (Rotterdam to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway, TiogaCruiser (Volendam to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery, Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Aug 31) 9d Cabada/New England  and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 27

Today's drink is wonderful.  We pour it over ice.

Rum Chata:

RumChata, a rum-based cream liqueur with a horchata-inspired flavor profile, has for years been a sensation across the Midwest — Wisconsin in particular — but has more recently soared in popularity across the country. Why? Some may point to its familiar, crowd-pleasing notes of vanilla and cinnamon, while others might attribute its rise to the success of the cream liqueur category in general.
Either way, if you’ve ever come across RumChata, you know that it’s delicious and lends itself well to sweet, creamy drinks. So the next time you have a bottle and aren’t sure what to make, here are eight delightful RumChata cocktails that will not disappoint.
https://vinepair.com/articles/8-best-rumchata-cocktail-recipes/

Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 6.25.02 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 20

Good morning friends!  This Thursday morning I awoke to a temp of 77F, and see that they predict a high of 97 with sunshine.  We’ve been here over a week and seen no rain or even sprinkles yet.

First let me say Happy 43rd Anniversary today to Graham @grapau27 and Pauline @Paw13!  May you enjoy many more!  I’m sure your lovely dinner with Sarah and her boyfriend last night was a huge success and gratefully welcomed.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps.  There are several interesting days to recognize on this date.  I don’t have any peaches available but will celebrate with a glass or two of peach tea.  Surgical oncologists are very important in the treatment of cancers.  I’m not a fan of dumplings so will pass on National Bao Day. Today is also National Burger Day and National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day!  I think the quote sounds true.  I enjoy the French Onion soup on BHB’s and would try the Silver Beach Sauvignon Blanc, but no rum drinks.  I applaud the “This Date in History” events!  Thanks to Eva @superoma(substituting for Debbie), Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your food and beverage reports today.

Prayers for our Care list group, including Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Melisa and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Edi, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Jane’s DS, Debbie, Terri and Jim, @doobieb’s DH, and Vanessa.  Also for my DB, twin sister, DD, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military members in war zones.  Cheers to all celebrating special events like Graham and Pauline, cruising and preparing to cruise.  Hoping it’s a wonderful day for all!  Thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyV for her hard work on the lists every day even with health issues.

The port this morning is Rotterdam, the Netherlands.  It’s an important one for Holland America.  This was the port before on Feb. 25, 2022 and June 18, 2023.  I’ll post the links for you, and repost my photos.  Hoping all who enjoyed that port will share their photos too.

Happy Birthday today to Eva's @superoma DH!  Welcome Home Katherine @Lady Hudson!

Have a great day today everyone!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

On May 7, 2015 the Royal Princess arrived in Rotterdam near the end of a transatlantic cruise from Ft. Lauderdale.  On this cruise we had arranged to sail with our friends from Myrtle Beach, SC.  They were not the adventurous type and insisted we take ship tours in all our ports so that is what we did.  Shortly after arrival we got on a bus and went to Amsterdam for the day.  I'm not going to post Amsterdam photos however, but will show you a few from Rotterdam and just outside town as we drove out of and into the port city.

Arriving in Rotterdam00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKDjTTGRlttlGC-_qdDMiBk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187624

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ_OlufyNxQAx9A55o515cd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187629

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK1EbwAJlXfu30fe7sLf2IQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187633

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIqU-5pkThYx4dyTmcZyfxz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187648

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIHDKemZfgHRfFQ7tWxl2c4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187649

The scene at the dock near Erasmus bridge in Rotterdam.  In Dutch it's Erasmusbrug.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIPHDmsOs9QhMD6NdqAXJMH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435194297

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK5CfWO1rZvq5oR-baN0V7-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435194297

From the tour bus, the Royal Princess00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK4jWTHQISZpFcpJFAiY29k?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435194298

I'll save Amsterdam for its own day, but we had a wonderful day touring there.  Except when our bus was sitting at a stop light and the rear of our bus was grazed by an electric tram!  Oh and of course the many near misses by bicyclists as we dared stray near their bike lanes, or even trying to cross the street.  Good times!

On our way back to Rotterdam at the end of our tour we saw some beautiful countryside.  We even got to stop and take photos at a windmill, which was someone's home. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSQwD35Kbo5m_Ft-SErFwV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435188230

A huge nest on a pole.  Not sure if that is a crane or what.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIuALCqXRd0buNl5rj2IFug?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435188242

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJbkXKCV5VMn5-298a8cZHj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435188243

Peaceful canal00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIop-eKb7Gbo2EdOVNduUD0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435188254

Another awesome windmill00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJydPES6QXAdF6hSOSCXAYt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435188262

It would be nice to live on this scenic canal00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKETUzx6EDFT_kByTUI_bg7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435188266

The Netherlands is a beautiful country, and I'm proud to say I have Dutch ancestry.  I always enjoy visiting there.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 10

Posted (edited)

Good morning and thank you for today's daily reports.

A good quote today.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We have been  to Rotterdam several times and we were there on April 3rd 2024.

Important history days today.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a lovely day.

Screenshot_20240822_113210.jpg

Screenshot_20240822_113238.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cool morning, but sunny.  I got my first shingles shot yesterday, my arm is a little sore, but not too bad.

Three good days to celebrate.  Lots of peaches at the farmers market, I should bake a pie.

Good quote.

I'll pass on the meal, I've never tried the drink, maybe I will someday, I'm sure the wine is good.

Several years ago we sailed out of Rotterdam on the Rotterdam.  It was wonderful.  We noticed lots of people waving at the ship and waving their flag as we passed.  Great to see.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Happy Today!!!

Thank you for the reports!

I've learned about Bao, and know about peaches and oncologists (unfortunately)!!!

I love the soup, the drink, the wine and I've never sailed into or out of Rotterdam -- but I've been there.  (My sister lives in The Hague.

@Seasick Sailor Your sister is still in my prayers!

@Vict0riann  Prayers for Pat and you!!!

Yes...  Prayers for ALL who are listed and those who have unmentioned needs, too!

@grapau27  HUGS and Love to you and Pauline on your anniversary!!!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

As Suzi walked out the door to work this morning, she said "3 months from today, we will be cruising!" After 3 cruises last year and none yet this year, it seems like eternity since we last cruised. 🙂 

I hope everyone here has a great day! 

IMG_0965.JPG

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie & Ann.

Oncologiest have saved many lives and I will gladly celebrate them and their surgeries.  There’s a lot of truth to today’s quote.

French Onion Soup - YUM 👍 and a nice white wine - what more can you ask for?  Oh, a beautiful port.  Love Rotterdam and for HAL fans there’s some serious HAL history there between the Rotterdam docked on the water now a hotel  and HAL’s old headquarters - now a beautiful hotel.

I had it yesterday and fired off on the Future Cruise Listing.  I have no help with the listing now including cruising time and if I want to add someone on a non HAL cruise who has contributed so very much to the HAL boards (used to do the Fleet Report among other things) it’s my discretion and I will.  If one of the complainers wants the job, it’s all theirs and I told them so.

IMG_2707.thumb.jpeg.0d12d9fbe3711896bc47d50af627eb8f.jpeg

On a  move cheerful note, - this is my realtor putting the sold sign on the house.

IMG_3128.thumb.jpeg.6450bf256965ead80acb91abd678e90b.jpeg

I was more sad than happy but I’m glad it is settled.  now there is a pile of stuff to be done.

IMG_2706.jpeg.c6e8dd5cded36496a082077474640f9b.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those who them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 43
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2