WOULD YOU RATHER ? .......

Would you rather for the crew to dip out your dining choices or dip them yourself in the Lido restaurant ?

I like for crew to do it.  Thats why I love HAL.   Look at the few choices that passengers can dip for themselves on HAL.... NORO-FEST with ladles and serving utensils being touched and tossed back down in the food carelessly.   I have even watched people touch the service utensils with their finger,  and then stick their finger in their mouth to taste, then pick the utensil back up again to dip a portion for their plate.

Thank you HAL !!!

Cheers with a side of gastroenteritis !!

Rex

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My preference is self-serve for most stations.  Obviously, if there's a prime rib or roast whatever that needs carving with long, sharp knives I'll defer to a HAL server.

• Like 1

Self service is preferred but I understand the need for lido servers for certain items either because of price (bacon for example) or the way it has to be served (cutting meat for example)....Noro virus does not bother me....otherwise I would never book passage on a ship if that was my fear.  I know it's a germ factory and tight quarters. 

• Like 2

I much prefer the crew serving people. The less people between my food and me the better. People can be really gross!😝

10 minutes ago, pengu1n said:

I like that they serve the food, but on something like a salad, I would like to put on my own dressing and have a little more control of the amounts.

Just ask for your salad dressing on the side.

• Like 14

Posted (edited)

I think HAL has a good system, and the Lido is perhaps better than other lines because of it.

They will give you more chow if you ask for it.  

I eat a bit less with them serving, and therefore don't gain as much weight.

On a cruise just after the COVID restart, a "nice old lady" (at least 80 years old) would use the spoon in the Vegemite jar, then wipe it off with her finger before putting it back in the jar.  Seeing this a few mornings in a row, I asked the Lido Manager to say something.  The woman was of course horrified at being spoken to, and yes they tossed the jar and put that behind the counter for them to dish out.....For the record, I dislike Vegemite.

Edited by CNSJ
typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

On a cruise just after the COVID restart, a "nice old lady" (at least 80 years old) would use the spoon in the Vegemite jar, then wipe it off with her finger before putting it back in the jar.  Seeing this a few mornings in a row, I asked the Lido Manager to say something.  The woman was of course horrified at being spoken to, and yes they tossed the jar and put that behind the counter for them to dish out.....For the record, I dislike Vegemite.

For those like me that did not know......I asked Mr. Internet about Vegemite:

Vegemite  is a thick, dark brown[3] Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives.

Yes, "people" can really be gross around food I've found!  I don't consider myself a germophobe, but I do prefer the staff serving at the buffet.  I just tell them to add more or less to my plate.  I also get salad dressing on the side in a small ramekin.  

Can I ask those who prefer to have self-serve buffets what the reasoning is?  Just curious!

Thanks,

~Nancy

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, pengu1n said:

I like that they serve the food, but on something like a salad, I would like to put on my own dressing and have a little more control of the amounts.

Agree! ramkins are the way to go as noted.

Edited by SilvertoGold

18 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Can I ask those who prefer to have self-serve buffets what the reasoning is?  Just curious!

off the top of my head........I'm sure others can add.....

• faster (don't have to point, explain, say "more", say "that enough", say "thank you")
  • skip certain side items  (sometimes they auto add them)
  • get the piece I want
  • get the amount I want
  • place it where I want on my plate
  • less line skippers (it's more obvious with a self service line where to start)
  • don't have to wait for the lady in front of me to customize and discuss everything about their food request w/the lido server...I can be "one and done" and eating before she has even figured out what to ask to order.....LOL
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I prefer either the crew serve or there are already set plates.
People are terrible when they serve themselves. And I have been behind people in line in the breakfast buffet who literally took all the strawberries out of the mixed fruit, and when I commented "other people may want strawberries too" was told "too bad, it's the only fruit we like."
Being served helps to prevent that kind of greedy behavior and it keeps everything cleaner and nicer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Thanks,

~Nancy

Speed! I can wait on myself much quicker than having to wait for someone to serve me. It is also easier to cut lines if the "need" arises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I was on a MSC cruise and I was in the buffet when I saw a teenager looking around suspiciously. He then stuck his fingers in a bowl of whip cream, licked his fingers, and took another dip into the whip cream. I told the server and he threw the entire bowl of cream out.

Edited by sojodave
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, sojodave said:

I was on a MSC cruise and I was in the buffet when I saw a teenager looking around suspiciously. He then stuck his fingers in a bowl of whip cream, licked his fingers, and took another dip into the whip cream. I told the server and he threw the entire bowl of cream out.

images(1).jpeg.0cf135b4b36bf4fdfc456d8357c6d42b.jpeg

Crew serving always!!!! I can ask them for less or more if needed. They do a great job. It's faster and less hands on utensils. Less cross contamination. One of the many reasons we love HAL!!!! Please don't change. 

• Like 4

I prefer the crew serving the food. Mentioned above it can also stop food wastage.  People would grab a pile of shrimp or roast beef, eat half, then decide it is time for dessert.  Every time using self serve like cheese or cereal I put my food down on my table and go to the hand sanitizer.  I know it isn't that effective versus Noro just the mechanics of a generous amount of liquid plus vigorous drying can remove some virus. 

• Like 2